Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2022, 20:08   #34786
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
While crossing from in front of a bus/bigger vehicle too closely, they lift their hand up, so if the whole body is in the blind spot, still the driver can atleast see the hand signaling him to stop.
I think they 'must' wait till the vehicle moves on. Even if they raise hand and driver notices this, still they may be hit by any other vehicle that is coming on right side of the bus. Crossing right infront of the bus puts them in blind spot for both this driver and any driver who comes on right side of the bus.

All that apart, hyderabad bus drivers have this horrible habit of stopping anywhere on the road regardless of the traffic situation. It is like they are immune to all traffic laws. If this bus had stopped at a proper bus stop, situation would have been different. Because the bus stopped in middle of the traffic, the lady was in a hurry to get to one side of the road rather than stay put in middle of the traffic.
deetee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 20:16   #34787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
...Even if they raise hand and driver notices this, still they may be hit by any other vehicle that is coming on right side of the bus. Crossing right infront of the bus puts them in blind spot for both this driver and any driver who comes on right side of the bus.
This is the biggest risk while approaching a stopped bus or passing a bus after it halts at stops.
There will always be a high chance that someone alighting from the bus will just immediately cross the road either from the front or behind the bus basically in the blindspot of the approaching car.
That is why, it is very important to absolutely slow down to an immediately stoppable speed while passing through halted buses on our roads/highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sram View Post
.. Most of our people have absolutely no idea on blind spot of the bigger vehicles.
Unfortunately we don't have these lessons in our school curriculum. Road safety and civic sense and personal safety should be part of early school curriculum.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 22nd March 2022 at 20:35.
for_cars1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 21:43   #34788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

All that apart, hyderabad bus drivers have this horrible habit of stopping anywhere on the road regardless of the traffic situation. It is like they are immune to all traffic laws..
For Hyderabad read Bangalore (or perhaps any number of cities in India). Busses both public and private, yellow plates and auto rickshaws are not considered as traffic, so they don't have any laws. I for one have never seen a cop stopping these offenders. Let alone challaning them.
Old 22nd March 2022, 21:57   #34789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
What a sad incident. :(

Though not at all recommended, but still those who travel daily on public transport follows a basic rule. While crossing from in front of a bus/bigger vehicle too closely, they lift a hand up, so if the whole body is in the blind spot, still the driver can atleast see the hand signaling him to stop.
Actually crossing in the front of the bus is simply wrong. In addition to the risk of being run over by the bus, the person runs the risk of being run over by a vehicle overtaking the bus on the right. The bus acts a blind spot for both the vehicle overtaking and the person crossing and neither will see each other until the last moment. This is my single biggest worry every time I overtake a stationary big vehicle on the highway.. there is simply no reaction time for such scenarios.

Last edited by SR-71 : 22nd March 2022 at 22:15.
SR-71 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 22:15   #34790
BHPian

Someone recently said India is not safe for pedestrians. A police officer was hit by a car in Hyderabad. The driver was tested for influence under alcohol which he was not. Thankfully, no major injuries reported.

Even in this accident it's the fault in both sides, but the police officer was showing his back to the traffic and was walking in the middle of the lane. We need to teach the next generation on safety right from the schooling age.

One more thing I didn't like about the news was the headline. Why say "hit by a BMW car"?? Do they report similarly when it's a mass market car?

Last edited by saikarthik : 22nd March 2022 at 22:18.
saikarthik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 23:23   #34791
BHPian

Quote:
A passenger who just deboarded got run over by the same bus:
https://Youtu.be/_76tImaVO_g
Unfortunately, such instances are quite common, especially in cities likes Mumbai and Kolkata that still have a fleet of old buses. The newer buses have lower seating for bus drivers. This makes it easier for them to spot crossing pedestrians.
However, I agree that dropping off bus occupants on the road is quite dangerous. These occupants face the risk of being hit by motorcyclists trying to sneak from the bus' left side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
but the police officer was showing his back to the traffic and was walking in the middle of the lane.
I remember discussing this point with police officials during a training session. Police officers are so used to seeing vehicles avoid or flee from them that they don't even entertain the thought that a vehicle can hit them if the driver does not have sufficient avoidance time. "Hume kaun marega(who will hit us)?" was their reply.
Some police officers (experienced ones) rebuffed the idea that they may be in danger while standing or strolling on the road. Luckily, the new officers gave this more thought.

P.S:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Altroz was doing 100+...
I am genuinely curious now..why are all social media-reported crashes involving Tata cars mention cars traveling above 100 kmph!?
I hope the "safe" reputation isn't encouraging Tata car owners to take more risks.
Old 22nd March 2022, 23:59   #34792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Actually crossing in the front of the bus is simply wrong. In addition to the risk of being run over by the bus, the person runs the risk of being run over by a vehicle overtaking the bus on the right. The bus acts a blind spot for both the vehicle overtaking and the person crossing and neither will see each other until the last moment. This is my single biggest worry every time I overtake a stationary big vehicle on the highway.. there is simply no reaction time for such scenarios.
I learnt this lesson as a pedestrian of 15. Came so close to disaster that the passing car actually whipped my coat out of my hands! Got a big telling off from the bus driver, and have never forgotten it when walking or driving.

When driving, the answer is to expect it. Look for signs, look for legs under the bus, etc; and be slow enough and far enough away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
However, I agree that dropping off bus occupants on the road is quite dangerous. These occupants face the risk of being hit by motorcyclists trying to sneak from the bus' left side.
Hate to see bikers doing this. Of course, they expect the people getting off the bus to avoid them, even though they have no right to be there.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 01:19   #34793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I learnt this lesson as a pedestrian of 15. Came so close to disaster that the passing car actually whipped my coat out of my hands! Got a big telling off from the bus driver, and have never forgotten it when walking or driving.
Wow... same here, it happened in Coimbatore when I was attending the IIT JEE coaching classes at my uncle's place, eons ago! I crossed the road in haste cause my uncle was waiting on the other side to pick me up. Just as I came out of the shadow of the bus, there was one coming on the opposite side which I noticed just about the same time it hit my arm. Luckily other than 2 days pain, I had no damage. Every tom and his dog in the vicinity lectured me in stern voice and rightfully so I guess. To this day I wonder if my uncle was not around, I may have been beaten up by the crowd for not dying! And like you mentioned that still shows in my driving style when I overtake stationary vehicles on the highway.

Last edited by SR-71 : 23rd March 2022 at 01:21.
SR-71 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 09:45   #34794
BHPian

Quote:
A passenger who just deboarded got run over by the same bus:
Too many things going wrong in that video.

Why did the bus top in the middle of the road?
Why did that lady deboarded in the middle of the road? She could have been hit by a bike or an auto the moment she touched the tarmac.

Then, she walked straight into the blind pot of the driver.

Very sad, completely avoidable incident.

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd March 2022 at 16:57. Reason: typo
FORTified is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 16:17   #34795
BHPian

Dear All,

I came across this video on Facebook from Brightside with some basics tips. Found it useful and informative specially for young drivers for safety and comfort point of view:

https://fb.watch/bWIFqli8Fi/

MODS - please move to appropriate thread if it doesn't fit here.
Old 23rd March 2022, 20:32   #34796
BHPian

Narrow escape for the kid. Quick reflex in correcting course from the bus driver!

Name:  Kidnarrowescape2.gif
Views: 1211
Size:  5.73 MB

Last edited by bejoy : 23rd March 2022 at 20:34.
bejoy is offline   (87) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 20:41   #34797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
Thankfully, no major injuries reported.
Thankfully and a mandatory reflective jacket for the police when getting out of the car could've saved the day for both of them.
IMO with our chaotic traffic and the high beam menace in the night, makes the reflective jacket ever more important.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 21:04   #34798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Too many things going wrong in that video.
Why did that lady deboarded in the middle of the road? She could have been hit by a bike or an auto the moment she touched the tarmac.
Agree with the other points but her getting off at that point would be simply because if she asks the bus driver to drop her off at the right place (a bus stop) right after he stopped the bus to pick up two new passengers most Indian bus drivers would simply refuse and force them to get down at the next stop. At her age she would have already experienced this a few times and realized long ago that it's not worth the time arguing/pleading with these guys.

Add this to the time/money it would take her to get back to her actual stop, she would thought it's better to just deboard right there since the bus had already stopped to pick those two gents up.
JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 21:25   #34799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Narrow escape for the kid.
Perhaps the luckiest stupid kid. He should be thanking all his stars, his well wishers and should go kiss his parents and hug them like a million times. What the heck was he thinking zooming in to the road like that. Had the bus run over him, imagine the plight of the driver, he would feel terrible for the rest of the life for running over a kid... Not to mention the unpredictable mob who might have beaten him black and blue!
SR-71 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 21:59   #34800
Senior - BHPian

Thankfully the kid had enough momentum to carry him off the road despite the fall. Else he would have been a goner for sure. Luckiest kid alive. His guardian angels were watching over him.
Gansan is online now   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks