Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:20   #10561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004

Well, from what I feel is, sturdiness may not be a measure of safety, but at the same time, it does contribute to safety by a small extent.

That is why I am repeatedly saying - assume a Linea or a Vento in that place. I feel they would have has lesser damage comparatively.
Its neither a measure nor a contributory factor to a car's safety.

Its posting misleading comments like linea or vento would have faired better is what we can do without. Unless you have evidence that is more than your "feel". As i posted earlier, the crash test ratings dont support your claim or feel.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:22   #10562
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Cmon buddy, that video shows nothing.

Just for argument's sake, can we term a tin box van as an "SUV"?

Secondly, Mustangs are known to be heavily built sturdy cars. So it implies nothing.
Exactly my point, If you cannot make a conclusive answer by seeing a video. How can we judge a car, just by seeing pictures of accidents without knowing what exactly happened, like what speeds they were doing etc.

Sorry, and yes its a van and not an SUV.

How ever, the video does imply that relative speed of the crash does make a difference.

Quote:
That is why I am repeatedly saying - assume a Linea or a Vento in that place. I feel they would have has lesser damage comparatively.
Even I don't know the answer for the above. By lesser damage did you mean that the rear passenger would have survived. If not, what is the point of having lesses damaged car if the results are fatal.

I think we should stop debating on this. To each his own.

To be safe we need far more than a sturdier car. Always belt up, drive safe.

Peace.

Last edited by ecenandu : 3rd March 2012 at 14:34.
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:47   #10563
Senior - BHPian

Most important point is how safely one drives. True even if one drives safely other reckless ones can spoil one's day. It should be everyone's endeavor to consider the safety of other road users, motorists and passengers alike.

So much has been posted regarding NCAP and the following link makes excellent reading on tests and evaluation protocols.
http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-...protocols.aspx
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 15:48   #10564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Its neither a measure nor a contributory factor to a car's safety.

Its posting misleading comments like linea or vento would have faired better is what we can do without. Unless you have evidence that is more than your "feel". As i posted earlier, the crash test ratings dont support your claim or feel.
Exactly.

Since I do not have any evidence, that is the reason I "feel" a Linea or Vento may be better in such situations. Any which ways, I am not making any strong claims to prove any car's safety. What I wrote is just my personal opinion & not a fact. It need not be true always & hence does not warrant an evidence!

I am not trying to mislead anyone bro. If you go through my posts, nowhere I have written that a Linea or Vento is safer than a City. If I have, please point out. All I have said is, they maybe better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Even I don't know the answer for the above. By lesser damage did you mean that the rear passenger would have survived. If not, what is the point of having lesses damaged car if the results are fatal.
Occupants would have survived or not... I cant say.

Whether his chances of survival would be better? Maybe.

Quote:
To be safe we need far more than a sturdier car. Always belt up, drive safe.
Agreed. Never denied that.

Quote:
Peace.
I am at peace bro. This was never an argument anyways.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 3rd March 2012 at 15:50.
Old 3rd March 2012, 15:57   #10565
Team-BHP Support

A lot being discussed about NCAP ratings, how other cars would have fared in the crash situation of the City-Dzire. IMO, probably the cars would have comparatively less deformed by the impact, but the results would have been the same – especially if the occupants were not wearing seat belts.

We can discuss NCAP ratings in length, but it really does not matter here, as the specs are so different from what is there in Europe (AFAIK, we do get the same grade starting from luxury C-Segment/D-Segment).

To aid this discussion, please see below a video from Fifth gear where in they tested a 5-star NCAP rated car or on a less than perfect road condition (simulated). In the video, Tom Ford mentioned that 40% of UK roads are considered inadequate, or can be considered as 1-star rated (in 2008). I wonder, what will be the percentage if such a study was done in India.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:10   #10566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I do not have any evidence, that is the reason I "feel" a Linea or Vento may be better in such situations. Any which ways, I am not making any strong claims to prove any car's safety. What I wrote is just my personal opinion & not a fact. It need not be true always & hence does not warrant an evidence!
Its ok to have an opinion based on pure "feel" on things like how my car looks, or how my music system sounds or how my car smells etc etc and publish those sort of opinions. But when it comes to more important things like "safety", its best if we stick to objective facts and not just "feelings"
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:40   #10567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Its ok to have an opinion based on pure "feel" on things like how my car looks, or how my music system sounds or how my car smells etc etc and publish those sort of opinions. But when it comes to more important things like "safety", its best if we stick to objective facts and not just "feelings"
Oh ho, how difficult can it be?

If you can, please go through my posts again, especially the ones I have underlined below-

Quote:
But why not compare the City to a sturdy yet safe car like the XUV5OO or the Aria? How will it fare then?

Or if its unfair, then why not compare the City to Vento or Linea which is sturdy as well as safe...
Quote:
Even I am saying that a city MAY BE safer than the Scorpio as sturdy cars need not be safer, as you have shown in the videos above.

But instead, what I am saying is, what will be the result when you compare a sturdy yet safe car with the City...
Quote:
Agreed my friend. Punto was just an example since it is one of the sturdier cars I know, with good safety ratings. I could not find the ratings of the Linea...

What my point is that... what would be the fate if a car which is sturdier & also has a 5 star safety rating? Since both the city & the sturdier car has the same safety ratings, dont you feel the sturdier car will survive this type of a crash better?
Repeatedly I have been asking (asking in bold, italic & underlined, in case you miss it) that what would be the fate if a sturdier car is put in that place.

I am not authoritatively saying (again saying in...) that a sturdier car would bring out a passenger alive or anything of that sorts.

Please understand that there is a difference in asking & saying. If I am asking something, I can assume certain things subjectively.

Secondly, regarding your "claim" that I am misleading people by posting that a sturdy car would have better crash test rating, please look at my posts which was either not deciphered correctly or misread -

Quote:
Please note I am saying sturdy & not necessarily safe.
Quote:
I have been repeated saying - sturdiness is not a measure of safety.

Thirdly, opinions are opinions. The way I cant prove that a sturdy car cannot be called as safer, even you cannot prove that a sturdy car cant be safer... can you? It is just a wild guess and that is what I had initially asked. Never knew it would be blown out of proportion like this!

Anyways, lets cut the topic here as I dont wish this to be dragged endlessly.

P.S.: I have nothing against Honda, just in case someone thinks that!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 3rd March 2012 at 17:46.
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:51   #10568
Senior - BHPian

LOL ok, if you are asking, then the answer is plain and simple. The perceived sturdiness does not matter. Its irrelevant to this thread.
amitoj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 22:33   #10569
BHPian

Today there was an accident involving a friend on Bangalore-Hyderabad highway about 20 kms from Chickballapur. We where heading to a town (bagepalli) for a friends wedding. One of my friends left a lill early in his Swift VDi with his mom (nothing happened to them) and i was trailing him by some 40 minutes. I got a call when i had just crossed Chickballapur from him saying he had hit a bike.

When i reached there, i saw that his car had received frontal damage. Bonnet was dented badly and left front tyre was flat since the rim was bent (probably the car tried to climb over the bike). Windscreen was badly damaged on the co passenger side and i instantly guessed this was caused by the biker landing on the windscreen after hitting the car. There was quite a bit of blood on the road but the biker had already been rushed to the hospital.

This is what had happened.

The biker (was not wearing his helmet) came out of the service lane (which was parallel to the lane my friend was driving on) and turned right, he didn't notice my friend's car. So my friend banged into him perpendicularly. I could see tyre skid marks for almost 50 meters by it didn't help.

The biker is said to be serious and was rushed to NIMHANS bangalore, but the doctors said he has very slim chance of surviving, he has received major head injuries.
Old 5th March 2012, 11:32   #10570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Today there was an accident involving a friend on Bangalore-Hyderabad highway about 20 kms from Chickballapur.....
Considering all these accidents, I think a dashboard camera is the need of the hour for private car drivers. Assuming that your friend was within the speed limits (that's 80 kmph on that stretch, no?), he does not appear to be at fault. However, who's going to believe him? The only eye witness is his mother. The other "eye witnesses" will be the villagers, hellbent on ruining your friend's life.
Old 5th March 2012, 12:01   #10571
Team-BHP Support

This is like trying to make an ocean, one drop at a time. Accidents in most parts of India report a 1% decline in no. of road accidents.

Brakes slammed on rising road accident deaths - The Times of India
Old 5th March 2012, 14:45   #10572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Today there was an accident involving a friend on Bangalore-Hyderabad highway ......
Got an updated, the biker lost his life. May his soul RIP.
Old 5th March 2012, 17:38   #10573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Considering all these accidents, I think a dashboard camera is the need of the hour for private car drivers. Assuming that your friend was within the speed limits (that's 80 kmph on that stretch, no?), he does not appear to be at fault. However, who's going to believe him? The only eye witness is his mother. The other "eye witnesses" will be the villagers, hellbent on ruining your friend's life.

Sometime back, I placed an order for a in-dash camera here: Voyager Car Camera GPS Logger | Dual Dash Cam - GPS Camera For Vehicle

The product is in such a heavy demand that I am on a waitlist

Though my primary purpose is to record long drives and the routes I take, the blackbox utility is also an important one. Along with the video, the "GPS Speed Tracker logs Time/Date, Speed, Location on detailed Google Earth Maps"

But does anyone know of instances where such evidence has been presented in court (in our country that is) and the outcomes?
Old 7th March 2012, 01:23   #10574
BHPian

Hey all,

I heard from a local cop at Cauvery Theater junction that there was horrific accident there on Saturday. I had been pulled over as my driver was not wearing his seat belt (!!). I tried arguing that he was from Belgaum and that he was not aware of big city rules. Anyway, that apart the cop narrated this accident as an example as to why people should wear a seat belt. Apparently it involved 2 import luxury saloons being driven by drunk youths who were drag racing along Palace Road towards Windsor Manor bridge. The BTC have a barricade on the opposite lane to check for drunk drivers who noticed this. I believe the cars made contact and was so great that the black saloon lost control and ended up in the opposite lane near the HP bunk. The kids got away (no injuries either) as their parents did not want media attention. This is what the cop said.
Any of our well connected Bangalore BHPians heard about this? Just curious as to which cars they were.

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 7th March 2012, 12:27   #10575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
I had been pulled over as my driver was not wearing his seat belt (!!). I tried arguing that he was from Belgaum and that he was not aware of big city rules.
Your post seems to indicate that you were in the car as well. Were you also not aware of the big city rules?
vikram_d is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks