Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2014, 09:51   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

I wonder what went through Nissan India's mind when they launched the Diesel Micra without ABS. Didn't they think a person paying more money for a different power unit will also be able to shell out some more for safety?

I believe it is a case of shifting blame and Nissan will go nowhere with this attitude. I don't give a damn if the car has a button for start/stop or has ACC. If they can take them out and give me airbags/ABS, I will gladly accept it.
Old 20th March 2014, 14:33   #227
Senior - BHPian

the ZXI does pass the structural integrity test. Overall it should score no less than 5 stars. This is ONLY for the ZXI model. Also ZXI seems to be the only Swift with a front crash beam installed which maintains structural integrity during a crash. The diesel Swift dispenses away with the beam to liberate space for the MJD. The lower models may not have some structural features of the ZXI.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 15:27   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
the ZXI does pass the structural integrity test. Overall it should score no less than 5 stars. This is ONLY for the ZXI model. Also ZXI seems to be the only Swift with a front crash beam installed which maintains structural integrity during a crash. The diesel Swift dispenses away with the beam to liberate space for the MJD. The lower models may not have some structural features of the ZXI.
Are you sure about diesel variants missing the front crash beam
Old 20th March 2014, 15:33   #229
BANNED

I don't think it's missing, I read earlier on T-BHP that it was thinner. Thus showing their attitude to safety once again.
Let's wait for the official report.
The beam being thinner is 100% right IMHO.
Old 20th March 2014, 17:36   #230
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I don't think it's missing, I read earlier on T-BHP that it was thinner. Thus showing their attitude to safety once again.
Let's wait for the official report.

The beam being thinner is 100% right IMHO.
I am not sure where but I have read it on T-BHP that the beam is thinner thanks to the MJD engine which made the beam thinner to accommodate itself in!

Anurag.
Old 20th March 2014, 20:29   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I wouldn't be too sure about 5 stars mate The car is no where near as structurally sound as the European one do remember that the spec to spec the car we have here in India weighs lighter. 4 stars I might believe and only because it is the Latin NCAP test which maintains standards a couple of years older.
Old 20th March 2014, 20:49   #232
BHPian

Hard to believe both coming from the same company!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
...this comment by Mr. Palmer - "I think the people who criticise these cars for not meeting US or European crash standards are living in a dream world. We are talking about cars built to transport people who would otherwise be four or five-up on a motorcycle. These people today can't afford more, and if we fit safety systems we will drive the prices up and they'll choose the motorbike again. A car with a body and individual seats is much safer than a bike."
And this:

Thread: Nissan launches Safety Driving Forum in India

Old 21st March 2014, 09:29   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I wouldn't be too sure about 5 stars mate The car is no where near as structurally sound as the European one do remember that the spec to spec the car we have here in India weighs lighter. 4 stars I might believe and only because it is the Latin NCAP test which maintains standards a couple of years older.
Well you can atleast see the cabin is visually almost intact unlike the Alto, Figo, Polo, Nano, i10 etc where there is ingress into the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Are you sure about diesel variants missing the front crash beam
Not the main crash beam but an additional structural integrity member upfront is missing in the diesel variants.
Old 21st March 2014, 13:28   #234
BHPian

Isn't the Swift Diesel sold in Europe as well? In that case, how does it meet safety standards there without the safety beam?

Or is this an India-specific change by Maruti?
Old 21st March 2014, 17:01   #235
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Isn't the Swift Diesel sold in Europe as well? In that case, how does it meet safety standards there without the safety beam?

Or is this an India-specific change by Maruti?
The second point is your answer.

The Indian-specific version is skimmed on safety for FE, cost reasons.

Anurag.
Old 21st March 2014, 17:23   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The second point is your answer.

The Indian-specific version is skimmed on safety for FE, cost reasons.

Anurag.

OK, that is pretty disappointing then, if it is not a technical reason for omitting it, but cost. My guess is that the part would add max 10k to the cost, and I think people ready to shell out 7-8 lakh for a xDi Swift would be OK with that cost. Actually an opportunity lost for Maruti as they could have advertised the safety features and positioned the Swift as a global crash tested model that is sold in Europe and India.

But I guess the Indian consumer is also a different kind from the EU or even East Asian ones, Swift remains the top selling car irrespective of what safety components Maruti omits, and the vast majority of those buyers opt for non Z models anyway. So cant entirely blame Maruti for this.

Last edited by chncar : 21st March 2014 at 17:25.
Old 21st March 2014, 17:40   #237
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
OK, that is pretty disappointing then, if it is not a technical reason for omitting it, but cost. My guess is that the part would add max 10k to the cost, and I think people ready to shell out 7-8 lakh for a xDi Swift would be OK with that cost. Actually an opportunity lost for Maruti as they could have advertised the safety features and positioned the Swift as a global crash tested model that is sold in Europe and India.

But I guess the Indian consumer is also a different kind from the EU or even East Asian ones, Swift remains the top selling car irrespective of what safety components Maruti omits, and the vast majority of those buyers opt for non Z models anyway. So cant entirely blame Maruti for this.
Awareness and affordability are the things that are needed to be remembered when saying that Maruti is at fault totally.

People in the EU or other countries are pretty much aware of the safety features and their importance along with the buying power to be better so the better affordability hence all cars manufactured/sold there need to comply.

Here in India a buyer who migrates from a two-wheeler will look mainly at LXi/LDi worst case VXi/VDi but not the ZXi/ZDi as the budget constraints and lack of knowledge. Some customers know the need of ABS and airbags but are tied down due to financial crisis so here nothing much can be done other than accepting things and moving ahead.

If we all ask for safety to be mandatory manufacturers will include the same and sell the cars.

Anurag.
Old 9th April 2014, 08:32   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford will sell India-built EcoSport in Europe. But, the European model will sport a stronger crash structure besides other improvements over the Indian version.

Quote:
To keep pricing competitive in India, Ford has settled for a less-stronger body structure for the Indian EcoSport as our safety norms allow it. The irony is - these improvements have all been done in India, but not for the Indian customer
http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...cosport/18244/
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 09:31   #239
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo base variant's sales halted

Volkswagen India that announced to offer the Polo with airbags (Driver and co-passenger) as a standard feature, has now stopped selling old models of the base trim 'Trendline'. Volkswagen dealers across the nation have stopped taking orders for the base trim, which will resume once the airbags-fitted models are delivered to them. ---NDTV

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/volkswagen...e-otherstories
Old 9th April 2014, 13:13   #240
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Ford will sell India-built EcoSport in Europe. But, the European model will sport a stronger crash structure besides other improvements over the Indian version.
Another car that enters the discrimination for we Indian users.

Made in India for the rest of the world and a better car! Wow!

What could be the additional cost to the price of the car if this 'stronger crash structure' is applied to Indian vehicles also?!

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks