Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2014, 19:43   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Its a 50-50 situation. While they may be bluffing, you cannot ignore the Indian mindset of "Chalta hai". From an ignorant layman's POV, a car can very much function WITHOUT Airbags and ABS. So the stereotypical, price conscious Indian buyer feels that 25k is a "waste" since his car will ferry him from home to work even without these things ! His primary objective of commuting is not affected by these add-ons, so why would he "waste 25k extra" ?

Unless you educate people about how safety is important, they will always keep thinking of ABS/Airbags as "unnecessary expenses". The Indian perception of safety is heavily disillusioned by its compromising attitude.
I agree that the typical Indian would not opt for the optional safety kit. However, if government mandates it in all cars and the customer doesn't have a choice, it is the same as a routine price hike for raw materials. They may not like it but they'll still go ahead with the purchase decision. If it is a government mandate, their competition would also need to hike the prices and hence no manufacturer is really losing out.

We know some manufacturers might need to incur a much higher cost due to the corners that they are currently cutting, but trying to defend that action is just like adding kerosene to diesel and saying that is the only way it can be given to the common man at the subsidized rates and still get a profit out of it.
Old 23rd March 2015, 09:08   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Motor working on Datsun GO's body shell after failing the Global NCAP test conducted.

Quote:
Nissan Motor is working on strengthening the body shell of the Datsun GO hatchback using higher-grade steel and reinforcements. Nissan is now connsidering using steel in the GO that can withstand higher pressure — the metal has a tensile level of 520 megapascal, compared with
320 megapascal earlier.
It is also adding side beams to enhance the strength and rigidity of the vehicle. This is apart from adding airbags and anti-lock braking system by the middle of the year.

Nissan is considering sending the new batch of vehicles shortly to Global NCAP for review.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46656646.cms
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 08:27   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

GNCAP looks to test cars from India again.

Quote:
There has been a positive move in the direction of enhancing safety levels in India over the past year and GNCAP should be able to confirm about its next test involving cars from India, by May 2015
It is likely that the Datsun Go may be crash-tested again by GNCAP. It is learnt that a team of GNCAP officials will visit Japan by mid-May and will meet officials from Nissan among other OEMs.

http://www.autocarpro.in/news-nation...ars-india-8016
Old 20th August 2015, 09:36   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Small cars like Alto, Swift, Eon, Jazz fail to pass crash test, Assam bans their launch, sales

The sale and registration of models such as Maruti Suzuki’s Alto and Swift, Hyundai i10 and EON and Honda Jazz have been stopped in Assam.

Quote:
Quote:
A court has banned the launch and sale of small cars that don't meet crash-test norms in the state in response to petitions that sought to make vehicles safer.
The petitioners said crash tests such as the Global New Car Assessment Programme (NCAP), which are followed in Europe and developed markets, should apply to cars sold in Assam because higher safety standards are required in mountainous regions.
Quote:
Companies have time till 2017, when India adopts these standards and all manufacturers would have to comply," said a senior auto executive, preferring not to be identified as the matter is sub judice. The next hearing in the case is coming up on August 27.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...sales/48550751

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th August 2015 at 09:42.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 09:48   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Small cars like Alto, Swift, Eon, Jazz fail to pass crash test, Assam bans their launch, sales
This is great news. Though there is a bit of stupidity ->
"The issue doesn't affect sports utility vehicles, which are bigger and have enough capacity to absorb impact and ensure passenger safety."

Looks like they've allowed cars weighing more than 1.5 tonnes because they believe them to be safe.
Old 25th August 2015, 21:56   #291
BANNED

Let us learn from the "stupidity" of the Assam Govt, in that case. At least they have taken a decision !
Old 26th August 2015, 09:36   #292
BANNED

Global NCAP Requests Indian Carmakers to Adopt UN Car Safety Standards:

Quote:
After the interim order of the*Guwahati High Court to ban small cars in Assam, Global NCAP has requested Indian carmakers to adopt United Nations safety standards for front and side impact from January 1, 2015. In a letter to the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), the global crash-test safety agency has suggested automakers to take voluntary initiative on car safety instead of waiting for the Indian government's new occupant protection regulations under Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Programme (BNVSAP).

David Ward, secretary general of Global NCAP writes, "In the wake of the recent Assam Interim Court Order banning the sale of small four-wheelers that fail international crash tests, and ahead of the new occupant protection regulations being applied by the Indian Government from October 2017, Global NCAP respectfully encourages SIAM to take its own voluntary initiative on car safety."

Speaking on this matter Ward said that the Indian automotive industry is where European countries were 20 years back in terms of safety.
SOURCE: http://www.ndtv.com/news/view/auto/1...o&site=classic
Old 2nd September 2015, 19:32   #293
BHPian

As anticipated, the Assam ban was lifted after SIAM protested. It was just a matter of time.

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/small-cars-...kes-ban-644364
Old 9th September 2015, 21:47   #294
BHPian

Grand i10's crash test results were released today by Latin NCAP. The car has scored 0 due to absence of airbags and structure is rated as unstable. We can see the A pillar and door bending during the crash. So it fares no better than the i10 and others

Source: http://www.latinncap.com/en/news/855...ith-zero-stars

Last edited by JonSnow : 9th September 2015 at 22:04.
JonSnow is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 22:50   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Grand i10's crash test results were released today by Latin NCAP. The car has scored 0 due to absence of airbags and structure is rated as unstable. We can see the A pillar and door bending during the crash. So it fares no better than the i10 and others

Source: http://www.latinncap.com/en/news/855...ith-zero-stars
If that Grand i10 was similar to grand i10 sold in India, then I am sincerely wondering what are we Indians being dished out.
Its a shock that the similar car holds up well in Euro-NCAP rating. I am talking about structure, the A-pillar stays pretty well intact in Euro-NCAP test and the same car here fails miserably. To be honest, the deformation is way too much for a car placed on relatively premium side.

Earlier, I was of opinion that Assam court over reacted on non scientific method to ban cars based on weight. Now, after looking at this video, I feel the court was partially right. Despite paying high amount, quality is no where to be seen or felt. And the authorities/government are still not awake. Where are we headed to ? Irrespective of make, all these cars should have structure similar to the European siblings.

Let see how the Kwid performs. At the same time, would like to see if Latin NCAP can test Wagon R, Elite i20, Brio ( along with related Mobilio/Amaze ), Ertiga, City and Ciaz. The very low kerb weight of Kwid makes me wonder.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 9th September 2015 at 23:16.
Old 9th September 2015, 23:18   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
If that Grand i10 was similar to grand i10 sold in India, then I am sincerely wondering what are we Indians being dished out.
In all likelihood, it is the same as what is sold in India. I came across this article recently (http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-w...a-deadly-toll/) and it sounds so remarkably similar to India, that you could just replace Brazil with India in the article and it would be pretty accurate.
Old 9th September 2015, 23:30   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Sorry to say, but the tested car was Made in India

Quoting a paragraph from the given link:

Quote:
The basic version of the Hyundai Grand i10, made in India and purchased in Chile, scored zero stars in Adult Occupant Protection and two stars Child Occupant Protection. Comparing this unit to the model tested by Euro NCAP, there are clear differences in the equipment levels as the European basic version offers frontal and side airbags. Moreover the European version provides child seat ISOFIX anchorages and the anti-skid technology, electronic stability control (ESC) added to a stable structure, resulting in a four star rating by Euro NCAP. The unit tested by Latin NCAP had no airbags, no ISOFIX anchorages and no ESC equipment and also presents an unstable performance of the structure. This model was recently launched in markets like Argentina with more safety equipment than the one tested by Latin NCAP, however its poor performing structure may still reduce passengers´ protection.
http://www.latinncap.com/en/news/855...ith-zero-stars

Regards

Last edited by Leoshashi : 9th September 2015 at 23:31.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 12:07   #298
BHPian

Well not many will be surprised by the Grand i10 poor results. The earlier dismal results of old gen i10 were a pretty clear clue as to how budget cars are made for India. Forget things like airbags, eps, abs etc for a moment, even the car's basic shell seems compromised.

I am pretty sure other cars like Wagon R, Brio, Eon, Amaze, celerio etc will fare poorly in these tests as far as strength of basic body structure is concerned.
Old 10th September 2015, 12:30   #299
Senior - BHPian

The entire chassis floor has buckled. I now think it is better to get less features than a flimsy passenger cell. It appears that only the Europeans are maintaining international standards for the vehicle structure - even if not safety equipment.
Old 10th September 2015, 12:50   #300
BHPian

The problem is with everyone - government ,manufacturer &a consumers. Everyone will point fingers on the other two. Ultimately,the first body whose response will slowly but eventually change other two is the GOVERNMENT. if the govt mandates strict standards,the manufacturer has to provide only safe cars and eventually the public will be forced to choose among safe cars.all these doesn't happen because the government and car manufacturers wants lot of money. Simple,yet toughest thing to change /crack.
Changing the mindset of entire customer base is almost impossible where everyone will get a theory to disapprove necessity of safer structures or safety features. So,the only solution is to force the customer base to buy only safe cars eliminating the choice of unsafe ones.
My two cents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks