Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2022, 15:02   #136
BHPian

Re: Crash Testing in India! The Bharat NCAP

Forget the 56kmph or 64kmph debate. Also forget the 'beep' at 100kmph. Let the manufacturers first build cars that pass the basic 'touch-and-go' test. Let me explain.
A couple of days ago, I was driving back home. I own a 2013 Swift zxi which in itself is not exactly the safest car out there, even in its own segment. I have no misconceptions about it. On a busy road in peak traffic, I was crawling ahead when a baleno hit me from behind. Please keep in mind the words 'peak traffic' 'crawling' and NCR in mind. One can assume the speed anyone would be driving (I was in 1st gear, not surprisingly). And yet the car behind me banged in

Even this would be acceptable. Any brushing of vehicles in NCR at peak hours is. Imagine my surprise when I got down to examine and while my bumper had suffered a tear, the bonnet of the rear one had a massive dent, had paint peeled off and deformed around the headlights! This was a 4-year old Baleno.

I would really like to know how safe and secure popular Indian cars, specially hatchbacks are when this happens. All the talk of speed governors and airbags and beeps become irrelevant. Agreed a crash is a crash and there is human element involved. But this was, again, a 4-year old popular model in crawling traffic!
uthra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 10:29   #137
Senior - BHPian

Hoping the Bharath NCAP will have an additional test rating for crashing into a truck that does not have any under run bar.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 4th November 2022 at 10:34.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 14:23   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Hoping the Bharath NCAP will have an additional test rating for crashing into a truck that does not have any under run bar.
To be honest, I wouldn't mind if the Bharat NCAP runs underrun tests even with an underrun bar. The result would still be the same because, similar to what is shown in the video, the underrun bars used in our country do not conform to the standards. Most trucks only have thin metal rods that are meant to pass off as underrun bars.

However, it is unlikely that the Bharat NCAP would conduct Underrun tests. One reason is that we cannot easily get the parameters from somwehere else because no other NCAP does these tests. Only ADAC and IIHS have done such underrun tests. We will have to develop our own test parameters.

The second, and bigger, reason is that such a test will open up a Pandora's box for the government. Almost all cars will fail the test because the results depend a lot on the underrun bar's performance. There is nothing much a manufacturer can do. The only solution is to ensure all trucks are perenially equipped with standardized bars. Checking for compliance falls under the RTO's i.e. the government's purview.

However, sooner or later the government will have to conduct similar tests because Indian crash data shows that more car occupants are dying in truck underruns than in car-to-car collisions (something the NCAPs test).
Rohan265 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 20:23   #139
BHPian

An interesting article on how crash safety had made everyone to think of their own safety, which increased the sales of SUVs and that increased the risk for other vulnerable road users like bikers, pedestrians etc.

https://slate.com/business/2022/11/s...an-deaths.html

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 7th November 2022 at 20:50.
chaitanyakrish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 22:25   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
An interesting article on how crash safety had made everyone to think of their own safety, which increased the sales of SUVs and that increased the risk for other vulnerable road users like bikers, pedestrians etc.
Indeed an interesting article. Considering that new car buyers in India are more inclined towards safer and heavier hatchbacks (i.e. compact SUVs), we could face a similar issue down the line. However, the risk may get amplified in our case as our roads are dominated by vulnerable road users.
Old 14th December 2022, 18:54   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

So why are only some cars tested at Global NCAP ?

Quote:
There are two ways in which cars arrive at the sacrificial altar. They are either volunteered (paid for) by the manufacturer or they are picked by GNCAP.
And it’s here where there’s an issue.
Manufacturers only send cars that will fare well and GNCAP only picks those that won’t.
Quote:
S-Presso isn’t stable at higher speeds and from the previous crash test, it isn’t safe in an impact either, so why test it again. Nothing has changed with the car. Wouldn’t more consumers benefit if the new Brezza or Grand Vitara were tested instead? But GNCAP won’t pick it as it’s likely to do well. Another example is that Tata won’t volunteer the Harrier as, apparently, it won’t bag a high score either. Which brings to an Indian NCAP.
Indian NCAP

Just like we have a mandated star rating for energy efficiency of appliances, an automotive NCAP would also be in order. In this manner, every car is graded. Unlike currently, where we have a rating for only a selective batch of cars, which, a isn’t in every consumer’s interest. And it’s even something that GNCAP are actively working towards.

So, an Indian specific mandatory rating would be best. GNCAP has done some stellar work so far.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 06:48   #142
Senior - BHPian

I am pleasantly surprised that a reputed auto journal is finally talking about this issue with much more clarity than ever before, touching upon all the contentious issues.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 12:58   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=svyDtDRxdH0
A similar video:
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 13:23   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

India’s own Star rating system to improve vehicle safety on anvil: Minister
Quote:
we are proposing a star rating system that will improve the quality of vehicles. Star ratings are coming, and from a road safety point of view. Whatever necessary change needs to be done in automobile engineering, we will do it.

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th June 2023 at 13:31.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 10:03   #145
Senior - BHPian

BNCAP planned from Oct 1.

Link

Quote:
The road transport ministry has finalised India's own regime of star rating of cars on safety parameters, BNCAP, and has proposed to start it from October 1, a move that will force car makers to provide in-built safety features and help buyers opt for safer cars, reports Dipak Dash. The new car assessment programme will give safety ratings to new cars in the range of "One to Five" based on the test results.

The Bharat New Car Assessment Programme (BNCAP) will host the star ratings and test results on its website after approval of an apex committee, which will be set up by the central government. To begin with, the ratings will be voluntary and samples for testing will be either offered by the original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) or can be randomly picked up by the BNCAP authority from dealers' showrooms as well.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 18:39   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
BNCAP planned from Oct 1.

Link
If this is also going to be on same lines as GNCAP as in voluntary by manufacturer or random pickup by BNCAP, why have BNCAP at all?

Are they going to ensure the popular models are tested at the very least or just do some random test like GNCAP?

Also, few other things don't make this promising IMO:
a. are the results going to be on a website nobody is going to visit instead of pasting it on every car in showroom( ala BEE ratings)?
b. Central govt and its role in Apex body who will review results before publishing - do these guys have the expertise or will they play the role of lobbyist/protectionists?
ToThePoint is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 18:42   #147
BHPian

I am sure this will get delayed due to manufacturers lobbying like they did for 6 airbags mandate.
Sidban85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 19:51   #148
BHPian

The news article header has a typo - Bhatar instead of Bharat
sachinayak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 22:34   #149

Spell Check Please. A very rare thing but spell check got missed Crash Testing in India! The Bharat NCAP-tbhp.jpg
diaslemuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 13:49   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki, Mahindra and Toyota welcome Bharat NCAP car crash safety norms.

- it would encourage the production of safer cars in the country. (Maruti)

- the customer information and empowering the customer through authentic information is always a positive and welcome step. (Maruti)

-it is one of the bold steps by the Ministry of road transport and we welcome the implementation of Bharat NCAP (Mahindra)

-It is also expected that the government should give some benefits to OEMs that make safer cars to encourage them to continue to do so. This will encourage OEMs to make their cars much safer and offer them to Indian customers at reasonable prices. (Mahindra)

- Bharat-NCAP is a step in the right direction. While the industry has been proactively pushing for new benchmark safety standards, there is also a growing awareness amongst customers for better safety features which has put further impetus on advancements and introduction of newer norms in the country. (TKM)

-Safety is an important aspect and active and passive safety features, along with the structure of the car keep the driver and their family safe. (Skoda)

Quote:
Under the BNCAP, manufacturers or importers of motor vehicles will have to submit an application in Form 70-A to the agency designated by the central government.

The designated agency will get their motor vehicle star rated in accordance with the Automotive Industry Standard (AIS)-197, as amended from time to time.
Link
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks