Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2018, 20:28   #61
BHPian

Re: Crash Testing in India! The Bharat new vehicle safety assessment program

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
The last news I heard was this will be mandatory for all cars sold from April/May 2019 onwards. Currently, the testing facilities are being setup(In addition to Arai). However, with elections around the same time, I guess this will be Tom-tomed as something the current government enabled in about a couple of months. Links -
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhar...ssment_Program

http://www.natrip.in
I sincerely hope that BNVSAP gets implemented at least in 2019. A note of a caution : Wikipedia can be edited by anyone and hence shouldn't be considered as a reliable source of information.
murthy_p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 21:15   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murthy_p View Post
I sincerely hope that BNVSAP gets implemented at least in 2019. A note of a caution : Wikipedia can be edited by anyone and hence shouldn't be considered as a reliable source of information.
Thanks Murthy. Wikipedia is the first entry when you search for the BNVSAP. I came to know of it when I was browsing something else. Looked it up and from there the link to natrip.in. Searched for it on TBHP and added to the conversation here so people know and can track it.
adits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 10:04   #63
BHPian

This video features the 2019 Volvo XC90/BMW X5/Audi Q7 doing a crash test, which may be of interest.

sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 11:29   #64
BHPian

Are Safety norms now applicable for all vehicles from October 1st? There has been absolutely no communication / clarification of crash test ratings from any manufacturer. Are these not be displayed just like ARAI fuel efficiency ratings? Does the law require test ratings to be made public?
swami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 15:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Are Safety norms now applicable for all vehicles from October 1st? There has been absolutely no communication / clarification of crash test ratings from any manufacturer. Are these not be displayed just like ARAI fuel efficiency ratings? Does the law require test ratings to be made public?
That's exactly what was on my mind. The crash test videos should be made public, as well as the ratings. This will help the buyers make informed decisions.
I suppose all the available vehicles are within the norms, and some appear to be built better than other. Only the tests and ratings will have the answer.
Old 13th October 2019, 07:49   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
That's exactly what was on my mind. The crash test videos should be made public, as well as the ratings. This will help the buyers make informed decisions.
I suppose all the available vehicles are within the norms, and some appear to be built better than other. Only the tests and ratings will have the answer.

Excellent point and worthy of being highlighted. Till recently, safety was a dirty word for most Indian manufacturers. After the implementation of the new regs, hopefully the seeds of pro-active safety practice will take root. And the crash test ratings will figure as prominently as the FE figures.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 09:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As of now they are not. First of all they were watered down version of NCAP on behest of a few corrupt automotive industry leaders. Lastly Maruti has just launched another un-tested tin can named S-presso.
We still have time till the manufacturers of smaller cars with proper safety ratings disappear, and the 15 year car life norm is reduced to 10.
So buy something safe in the current recession based discount schemes.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 14:16   #68
BHPian

GNCAP confirms India's crash worthiness requirements tougher than US due to Pedestrian protection.

Attached Thumbnails
Crash Testing in India! The Bharat NCAP-screenshot_201910191356502.png  

Deepsp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 15:31   #69
BHPian

Had some time to kill today. Hence, wanted to see if there is any correlation between Kerb weight of a car to its GNCAP safety rating.

Presenting below is a plot of Adult Occupation Protection Score versus Crash test weight. Interpretations from interested folks are welcome.

Key Points:
1. Only Cars made for Indian market considered. Data taken from GNCAP website - #SafercarsforIndia
2. Car names not included in plot to keep interpretations objective.
3. Test speed for all cars is 64kmph.
4. Cars which did not have any airbags are excluded from the plot since they score zero points. Only cars with 1 airbag or more considered in the plot.
5. Some data points belong same car but different iterations.
6. Crash test weight = Kerb weight of car plus weight of crash dummies, sensors, additional wiring etc.

Crash Testing in India! The Bharat NCAP-gncap_comparo.png
srvm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 09:39   #70
BHPian

Added some recent GNCAP test results to the previous post and updated the plot. X-axis is now Kerb weight (kg) instead of Crash test weight.

Crash Testing in India! The Bharat NCAP-gncap_comparo1.png

Key Points:
1. Only Cars made for Indian market considered. Data taken from GNCAP website - #SafercarsforIndia
2. Test speed for all cars is 64kmph.
3. Cars which did not have any airbags are excluded from the plot since they score zero points. Only cars with 1 airbag or more considered in the plot.
4. Some data points belong same car but different iterations.
5. Kerb weight of Diesel variant considered as default. Weight of petrol variant taken for cars which are sold only in petrol (WagonR, Kwid etc.). All kerb weights taken from TBHP official reviews.
6. Orange broken line indicates linear curve fit over all data points. Solid red and green line added parallel to broken orange line to get an approximate idea of lower and upper bounds.

Crash Testing in India! The Bharat NCAP-gncap_comparo2.png

1. Maruti-Suzuki: Black marker
2. Hyundai: Red marker
3. Tata: Yellow marker

Top 3 cars sold in India
Expected Adult occupation protection score: 7 to 12.5 (Mean = 10)
Given past track record of OEM, my expectation is around 8 (borderline between 2 star and 3 star)
srvm is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 11:51   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

India-centric NCAP need of the hour: experts at ICAT seminar.

Quote:
The establishment of an India-specific Bharat NCAP (later expanded in scope to BNVSAP or Bharat New Vehicle Assessment Program) has been spoken of since the time of the first Global NCAP crash tests in 2014 but nothing concrete has come of it as yet. As at ICAT, India now even has the facilities to conduct various types of crash tests and post-crash analysis. A crash test rating for all cars would put an end to often unfounded arguments for or against a model’s crash worthiness and would equip buyers with objective information to buy safe. A good safety rating becomes a key product differentiator. And that can only be good news for manufacturers and buyers alike.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 16:06   #72
Senior - BHPian

Gadkari announces a local Bharat NCAP!

Gadkari announces a local Bharat NCAP!
Source: Livemint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livemint
New Delhi: Minister for road transport and national highways Nitin Gadkari on Thursday said that the government will roll out Bharat New Car Assessment Programme (NCAP) to check the safety of new vehicles and assign star ratings on the quality of safety and sturdiness in line with global ratings.
He further said that the government will make six airbags mandatory for all passenger vehicles.
Other features including three-point seat belt, automatic emergency braking system (AEBS) are also going to be new mandatory features for vehicles, he said.
The minister further said that steps such as production linked initiative (PLI) scheme have boosted domestic production of airbags, resulting in a fall in prices.
Addressing the media, he said that around 1.5 lakh road accidents occur every year, causing 3.1% loss to the GDP.
ron178 is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 22:55   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
Nice he put everything in including the kitchen sink very well done must say now waiting for it be a reality asap.
The link to his entire speech:

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1ypKdEozgBvGW

The govt really is throwing the kitchen sink at this. The minister mentioned mandatory 6 airbags, 3-point belts in all seats, FCW, ESC, LDW, AEB, Bharat NCAP. It seemed to me that the death of MLA's son in Nagpur triggered this. However, the minister's understanding and attitude towards automobile features, and the answers in the Q&A session at the end has me a bit worried. Hope his advisory team knows what they are doing.

I hope the government brings the Bharat NCAP and makes the various car safety systems mandatory soon. It is better that the govt gets these measures out of its system as early as possible. Hopefully, only then will the govt realise that we are barking up the wrong tree. Our road safety problems lie elsewhere, beyond cars.
Rohan265 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 09:16   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

‘Star Rating’ of cars on safety parameters in India to better than global norms: Minister

Quote:
Since Global NCAP is a private firm, the government is open to changing the proposed name “Bharat NCAP"
Quote:
the government is open to changing the proposed name “Bharat NCAP”, based on the suggestions received from the public when floated for comments.
Quote:
announced a 12-point initiative and mandatory provisions in the motor vehicle rules including Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Advanced Emergency Braking and and Driver Drowsiness Alert systems, which will be introduced to make vehicles safer for occupants and also for other road users.
Quote:
Other safety systems that are under implementation include electronic stability control, advanced emergency braking systems,transport of dangerous goods, ease of mobility for the differently abled, driver drowsiness attention warning system, blind-spot information system, advanced driver assisting system and lane departure warning system.
The Indian version of star rating will not only take into account safety of the occupants, but also pedestrians and other vulnerable road users.

October this year has been proposed as the timeline for implementation of the two provisions. However, industry sources said it would take more time for compliance.

Quote:
India will have an improved version of the safety assessment programme than the G-NCAP and the government plans to publish the test results of all models of vehicles to create awareness among buyers.
Taking a cue from the global practices, the star rating is likely to be voluntary for car makers.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th February 2022 at 09:29.
volkman10 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 15:02   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
I completely agree that people who buy affordable cars deserve the same protection as those who buy expensive cars. But I think constant mandates might actually make safety a luxury. I worry that mandating nascent technologies that are still expensive might cause OEMs to kill the affordable segment 'alto'gether () which might actually be counterproductive.

The way it usually works is: start with the NCAP, create a market for a safety technology, wait for costs to come down (when there is an NCAP it doesn't take long) and then mandate it. It takes a few years but everybody wins. Governments reduce road deaths, consumers have another parameter to compare cars on the market, and manufacturers can't complain because they don't 'have to' do anything more than meet minimum crash test regulations by law if they don't want to, but they will lose sales anyway and try to find a cost-effective solution if they can. It's been a very successful formula in multiple markets. Starting with a mandate is very rare because when the technology is new it would make entry-level cars very expensive. What NCAPs do is bridge that gap by accelerating the 'trickling down' of new safety technology to mass segments affordably. I'm just not yet convinced that the Government has understood the difference between regulation and NCAP ratings.

I think Bharat NCAP should be the top priority (which is why I am thrilled about the announcement), and six airbags, AEB, etc. should be part of the evaluation. In a few years when they become more affordable thanks to Bharat NCAP, a mandate won't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
It seemed to me that the death of MLA's son in Nagpur triggered this.
I highly doubt most passenger cars are engineered to maintain survival space in a crash with such an unusual configuration that not even the most advanced NCAPs test for. But it would require a thorough post-crash analysis. NCAP tests cover daily urban and interurban scenarios, which still claim a lot more lives than people think.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2022 at 07:25. Reason: As requested
ron178 is offline   (28) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks