Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2022, 23:05   #91
BHPian

Re: Gadkari announces a local Bharat NCAP!

I'm happy that atleast someone is trying to implement safer cars for India, NCAP or whatever that is, we shouldn't forget that India got ABS mandatory in 2019, USA in 2012 and Europe in 2004, so basically we are 15 years behind in terms of road safety, for a part that cost merely 20000 max in a country where music system is a must. Side impact beams with roof strength and ABC pillar strength should be considered while forming the BHARAT NCAP. The rules can be easily changed or modified as per requirement but they are for the betterment of the entire society. Regarding affordability to poor people, they can always go the used car market , also justifying Tin-Can is like buying a rusted syringe to get medicated because it costs less than a Dispovan syringe.
FASTLIFE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 23:37   #92
BHPian

This is indeed good news. Hope this gets rolled out by 2023 with the existing norms like mandatory seat belt reminder for driver and co-driver, ABS, rear parking sensor etc. More factors can be added in a phased manner. Also how the safety is defined is key here. It'd be excellent if ours will be derived from what other global standards like Euro NCAP and Latin NCAP use. In my opinion following should be considered in the longer run.
  1. Structural integrity - The foundation of a vehicle and hence should have very strict measures with respect to crumble zones, safety cage etc. I'd also add build quality as well here as everything should be put together well.
  2. Driver and passenger(s) safety - Additional features apart from structural integrity like three point seat belts and seat belt warning, airbags, child safety(ISOFIX mounts) etc.
  3. Pedestrian safety - In case of an impact with the vehicle (front and rear bumpers, bonnet/trunk, windshield etc.)
  4. Accident prevention features(must have) - ABS with EBD, ESC, Brake assist, Rear parking sensor/camera, TPMS, Speed alert.
  5. Accident prevention features(Advanced) - ADAS features including but not limited to driver alertness, collision detection and automatic braking, 360 degree camera with blind spot monitoring, Adaptive Headlamps and cornering lamps etc.

Assuming a 5 point scale,
  1. If point 1 is compromised, then the vehicle should only get 3 stars at most, provided points 2 to 5 are provided and functions as expected.
  2. A vehicle which scores well in 1 and 2 should be given 3 stars with additional stars added based on the availability and functioning of points 3 to 5.
  3. Each point should be detailed and ranked up to the most specific feature. For example, the ratings should clearly mention what is the rating for, say, structural integrity alone(for example 91%, higher the value the better) and rating for each factor like crumble zones, steel grades used for safety cage etc.

These are just my thoughts on this matter. Waiting to see our government implement the Bharat NCAP as realistically as possible.
techmotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 09:10   #93

Re: Crash Testing in India! The Bharat new vehicle safety assessment program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
So, if the government does bring about the Bharat NCAP, it should use Indian crash data to design the testing parameters.
Exactly!
Crashes in our country are caused by a variety of reasons ranging from personal error to stray animals, we got it all.

ADAS has a long, long way to go before it even tries to dodge multiple pedestrians/animals/squids.

NCAP ratings are like wearing a helmet. It might save you, but you have to be realistic in your expectations.
Zangetsu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 09:21   #94

You know, that's something I have failed to comprehend.
Just to differentiate and charge a premium, reserving safety features for the top variants is like denying someone a fundamental right.
Anyone who ever drives should be entitled to all kinds of safety equipment that a manufacturer has to offer.
Old 13th February 2022, 11:11   #95
BHPian

With these in place, starting price of cars will go up from 3 lakh to 4 lakh. Thousands will abandon or postpone their car purchase, and continue with two wheelers. How safe!

Safety equipment mandates should be as per price brackets. Their aim should be to force manufacturers to prefer safety features over eye candy, entertainment and comfort, while keeping the prices same.

For example (just indicative, I am not an expert)

For cars below 5 lakh: only make mandatory which costs very little, like 3 point seatbelts, seatbelt reminder, speed limit warnings, driver airbag, day night IRVM, rear wiper.

5 to 10 lakh: dual airbags, abs, ebd, ba, may be esp, steering mounted controls.

10 lakh to 20 lakh: 6 airbags, Esp, TPMS, 360 degree camera
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 11:39   #96
BANNED

Ah, yes, the hypocritical desi NCAP. Made in Bharat (TM).

When the govt. has consistently failed at achieving basic standards for civilization such as education, clean water, electricity, roads, housing etc. they go ahead and act superior with made in Bharat (TM) NCAP.

Babus doing what they do best - being a parasite. Where is the enforcement for laws regulating overloaded trucks and murderous bus drivers? Enforcing those laws will guarantee better public safety. Oh! wait, I remember, enforcing those laws is anti-national and harmful to the 'economic' development of Bharat (TM).

Also, I truly hope these ncap tests include ramming the vehicle in the holiest of the holy bovines. Or did they forget to make the test reflective of the real road conditions? You bet they did. Scumbags.

Last edited by Electromotive : 13th February 2022 at 11:49.
Electromotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 13:17   #97
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

If India decides to put its hands on an already perfect global system, then you know how its going to end!

That's bad news for us.
Old 13th February 2022, 13:57   #98
BHPian

The government better invest huge on highway traffic enforcement. Anyway outside of big cities, traffic enforcement is negligible. Forced traffic discipline with huge fines on the highway in an intense manner might do something good. Safe cars have a limit. But no politician will risk their neck in asking people in towns and villages to pay a fortune for bad highway driving.
driver52001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 14:57   #99
BHPian

I hope that the standards of this domestic NCAP are comparable to international ones otherwise it will become a joke globally.Hate to be pessimistic but we use "the best" a bit too much for things that are obviously not. And the auto lobby is known to bend regulations to suit thier own interests.

Either way I hope crash ratings become mandatory. As in every car has to display it's crash ratings in it's marketing material just like the star ratings we have for electrical appliances. That way people are free to choose what they want but are atleast better informed.

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 13th February 2022 at 15:00.
Bluengel180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 20:55   #100

I feel the primary cause of accidents is not tin cans but poor drivers, random objects on the road, unregulated speed bumps, unmarked construction, 2 lane state highways without medians, political banners and flags. There should be a standardised driving course and a standardised Motorcycle safety course (not talking about riding gear, but teaching road awareness and road sense)
Maybe the govt can incentivise and open Road Safety Training Centres (PPP model, not secure govt job so people can slack off) and anyone going to college can participate once they turn 18 (usually 2nd year)

we hand out licenses like candy. if the admin can do something about that then this BNCAP makes sense. otherwise seems like skipping a step.

there were 1,54,000 odd RTA fatalities in 2019. 13.7% were cars so 21,000 fatalities were car occupants

BNCAP will do nothing about the drivers already on the road and the 7.5 crore vehicles already on the road.
it's impact will be probably 10 lakh vehicles per year
( not all will have 5 star)

There are more immediate and easy measures which can easily shave off 50,000 deaths per year. BNCAP makes sense to address the last 21,000 deaths.
Dosanova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 21:18   #101
BHPian

I hope they give some thought about making rear defogger and rear wiper/washer mandatory too.
Benoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 15:37   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I hope they give some thought about making rear defogger and rear wiper/washer mandatory too.
An absolute necessity IMHO, India is a growing country, construction work is going everywhere from highways, railways to houses and so is dust (desh ki mitti )and pollution (desh ka gandh) pun intended , so having a rear wash wipe and defogger would hardly increase any cost when every month manufacturers are increasing prices, EMI increase would hardly be 250- 500 rs extra per month, also inclusion of these features will lead to people using their cars for 15 years rather than 3-6 years as some do due to lack of essential features.
FASTLIFE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 08:27   #103
BANNED

Another typical demonetization level plan. What good will the features do without the structural integrity? They should have mandated the structural rigidity and compromised on the gizmos and balloons. Had they done that, the deluge of unsafe cars would have got contained in the next few years and the casuality would have come down enabling them to avoid losing 3.1% of the GDP.
Old 15th February 2022, 20:19   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispaniola View Post
Also 6 airbags means another 20-30% jump in price of Alto and likes.

Given all this, a 0 star 4 wheeler is still safer than a two wheeler in India in many ways and increased prices are not going to help anyone to switch.

Don't know which side I want to take!
I strongly agree with you.

Me, personally. I'd want a 5 star safety rated car with 6 airbags, ESP, TCS, etc.. I'm willing and able to pay a premium for safety.

But, as you rightly said, a 0-star 4-wheeler is still safer than a 2-wheeler (which most of our population currently uses.

Therefore I'm against the mandatory minimum safety requirements (like 6-airbags).

But I'm strongly for the Bharat NCAP initiative as this let's potential buyers know the difference in safety of different vehicles.

Let someone like me buy a 5-star Tata Nexon. Let the 2-wheeler owner upgrade to a 0-star rated Alto with no airbags, at a mouthwateringly low price. Hopefully his/her 2nd car may be a safer option.

As long as Bharat NCAP is accurate, transparent, and easy to understand, all of us can make informed decisions based on our own individual requirements.
Old 16th February 2022, 16:22   #105

I absolutely agree while car technology and safety standards have seen multifold improvements. Drivers remain ignorant and willing to take shortcuts at the drop of a hat.

Along with seat belts and safety ratings, a major push has to be on education to dissuade people from reckless driving. Laws need to be enacted which will deny insurance claims for those who are driving the wrong side and they should be forced to pay for losses if somebody else dies due to their illegal driving like wrong side or red light jumping etc. The economic impact hastens learning!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks