Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2018, 22:02   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Praying to the divine that your young lad is out of danger soon.

Do you think a tweet or a petition to the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways , Govt of India, (Nitin Gadkari's ministry), about this ghastly incident can wake up our policymakers?
Yes, again, this is a gray area , as most policy makers are pressurised heavily by lobby groups representing the industries they legislate for , but at least some noise can be created.
Also it seems "apparently" that government of India "intends" to do something w.r.t. vehicular safety, now that they have brought in the new BNVSAP norms , making ISOFIX mandatory etc.
Maybe someone somewhere will have enough conscience left to "change the system " from a policy level perspective .
Because I feel, unless pressure comes from the very top and legislation mandates compulsory checks and balances, no industry will voluntary change things for the better, from the consumer perspective , that is , in our country.
Sad, but very true.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 22:13   #77
BHPian

Arvind, very sorry to hear about the accident. Wishing your son a full and speedy recovery.

I was strongly considering the XUV, until I saw this thread. It's a shame that design /QC standards are not taken seriously, especially for the safety gear.

EDR (Event Data recorder) data would be very useful in such cases and will not allow the car maker lie his way out. Can experts comment if XUV has an EDR at all?

What does EDR record:
http://prtassoc.com/html/edr/edr_intro.htm
Maverick_x1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 22:24   #78
BHPian

Believe me, prayers, positivity and perseverance has the biggest share in Madhav's inching forward. Please do keep him in your prayers. I shall be forever grateful.
arvindb4 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 23:02   #79
BHPian

arvindb4,

I wish your son a complete and speedy recovery on behalf of myself and everyone in this community. From what little you have mentioned about him, i can see that he's a fighter and I'm sure that he's going to come out of this stronger than ever.

The XUV should have deployed atleast the curtain bags and the side airbags. Something is fishy, not only in this unfortunate circumstance, but in the various other circumstances that I've come across with respect to the XUV's airbag(s) deployment or the lack thereof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Hi arvindb4
1. It seems the accident happened on a busy street.
it looks like the speed was way higher than 80 kmph
2. Isnt it true that airbags deploy if impact is at a high enough speed and not purely on the basis of the impact pressure?
3. I for one vouch for feeling safe and secure in the XUV. Have been in several tricky situations but the car has always guided out of danger
Also, if there was no rollover, how did the car get damaged so badly from all possible sides?
Please let me know what you think..
Alright.

1. Lets not get into the ergonomics of streets that were busy or free, city or highway. And lets not start assuming the "speed" factor, its irrelevant.

2. in theory, they should work both ways, the ECU should take readings from all the sensors and take a call as to when and when not to deploy the airbags.

3. Feeling safe and staying safe are two completely different ball games. They are all tricky situations until they are not. A "False sense of security" is the term that comes to mind.

4.From what i read and comprehended, i believe the car went through a grove of trees.

What I'm trying to convey is, whatever happened and at whatever "speed", it is inexcusable that not even a single airbag deployed in a vehicle that was bought keeping safety in mind. If the whole premise of purchasing the vehicle was having kept safety in mind, then it defeats the purpose dosen't it?

just my two cents.
One:1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 23:03   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Questionable airbags and iffy quality control. In 2014 a member opened a thread here about his XUV with broken spot welds in A-pillar.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ace-frame.html

arvindb4 I wish your son a complete recovery, may god bless.
The number of quality issues with the XUV is ghastly. In the above thread, they offered to give a 6 month warranty on their work in cutting open the A-pillar for a manufacturing fault. Worst quality and safety control by Mahindra

Renault reducing their airbags size in India was a big issue. But no one got injured reportedly by it. This unsafe XUV is threatening lives with repeated safety issues.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 00:55   #81
Senior - BHPian

Arvind,

Very sorry to hear about your son's accident. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Regarding Mahindra vehicles, I have read many articles about the shoddy quality control in their manufacturing lines. The thread about the A pillar issue spanned 10 pages, and so many well meaning people wanted the customer to request Anand Mahindra's intervention to help resolve a major quality issue in the car. Even after repeated requests, there was no response.

I hate companies that require me to escalate issues to the owner/CEO/MD for redressing my grievance, it shows the utter lack of processes in the organization. It also shows that the juniors are not empowered enough. And I would like to take my business somewhere else for exactly those 2 reasons.

I would be glad to be of any assistance in helping you in your quest to improve vehicle safety norms. Please PM me with your contact details and we will take this ahead.

In the meanwhile, I urge all fellow team bhp'ians to buckle up and drive safely. We have some of the worst road conditions in the world and the fact that even our more expensive vehicles are structurally unsafe and badly engineered/equipped just makes it a nightmare.
Lalvaz is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 09:49   #82
Senior - BHPian

Though I appreciate the efforts that go into developing and producing a fully indigenous vehicle, yet it should not undermine the very basics of "properly functional active and passive safety hardware".

M&M being an Indian player cannot walk away from its obligations and responsibilities. A well performing product is expected irrespective of who has developed it. The Takata episode was one tangent of poor passive safety device wherein a whole breed of product got exposed.

XUV is their flagship offering and if buyers are shortchanged like this; there is no end to consumer sufferings !

M&M must come forward and participate in the investigation in a fair manner.

Can M&M afford to stay silent?

Last edited by i74js : 25th July 2018 at 09:51.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 09:49   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
You can start a petition on Change.org asking Mahindra to recall all their vehicles for checking airbags. And attach your story with pictures in the petition. Most of Team Bhp members will sign the petition and help to spread it.
Really appreciate your suggestions and I certainly wish to implement them. Shall keep everyone updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is there a central database of these kind of incidents (vehicles catching fire, accidents due to malfunctioning, safety features failing etc..) Can an RTI query reveal data? I really want to know what is the 'success rate' for different manufacturers.
To the best of my knowledge there are none that keep an exhaustive up to data as a lot of cases go unreported. Data collection and investigation is a huge cost I assume.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th July 2018 at 11:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
arvindb4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 13:19   #84
BHPian

Dear Arvind

I wish and pray for a speedy recovery for your son.

Just now saw this thread.

I have always felt that most Indian Automobile manufacturers have a "don't care" attitude towards safety. Mahindra too is no different. They are probably the worst. Safety, Quality and offering a enviable ownership experience for its customers is a culmination of Corporate Principles. This is where Mahindra and Tata fail miserably. I will not place the VW group much better either.

Unfortunately, the only way for common man to deal with this is to not buy their products. I mean, there has been a handful of threads on this forum about the airbags not deploying on XUV. I believe that this reflects the very lackadaisical attitude of the company.

Yet, we cannot let manufacturers get away with this.

Arvind, if there is anyway in which I can help you, do let me know.
Old 25th July 2018, 13:53   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Arvind,

I would be glad to be of any assistance in helping you in your quest to improve vehicle safety norms. Please PM me with your contact details and we will take this ahead.

Hi I am a newbie here. Cannot figure how to pm. Please help

Last edited by ajmat : 25th July 2018 at 14:31. Reason: Reduced quoted text
arvindb4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 16:10   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Arvind,

I hate companies that require me to escalate issues to the owner/CEO/MD for redressing my grievance, it shows the utter lack of processes in the organization. It also shows that the juniors are not empowered enough. And I would like to take my business somewhere else for exactly those 2 reasons........

......We have some of the worst road conditions in the world and the fact that even our more expensive vehicles are structurally unsafe and badly engineered/equipped just makes it a nightmare.
Correct and Correct.

Thanks for saying what a lot of us are thinking.

By the way, I have been lusting after the XUV for a long time now. I was waiting for the right financial opportunity to buy the car. Now, thanks to this, I am going to save at least 10 lacs. No XUV for my family. Thank you. But, no thank you.

Last edited by mohansrides : 25th July 2018 at 16:12.
mohansrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 17:23   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Correct and Correct.

Thanks for saying what a lot of us are thinking.

By the way, I have been lusting after the XUV for a long time now. I was waiting for the right financial opportunity to buy the car. Now, thanks to this, I am going to save at least 10 lacs. No XUV for my family. Thank you. But, no thank you.
Cannot agree more. Mahindra should stick to making tractors and avoid the consumer vehicle space. The travails of the XUV buyers owing to safety gaps and the KUV vehicles suffering due to the terrible petrol engine are heart wrenching. Shameful Mahindra!
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 17:36   #88
BHPian

Re: 2013 Mahindra XUV-500 W8. Severe crash & not a single airbag deployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Extremely sorry to hear this, and wish your son a speedy recovery.

Front Airbag deployment needs a frontal impact or "I think in some cases" severe deceleration. Maybe in your case it was a rollover and side impact, and hence no airbag deployment.

I'm sure this topic is been discussed a lot in team bhp.
Curtain airbags should have been deployed : https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-...obile-barrier/
Old 25th July 2018, 19:26   #89
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely devastated to hear about your son, Arvind. I wish him a quick and complete recovery. Let's hope to jointly take this issue forward with regards to vehicle safety with all manufacturers including Mahindra and Tata.

A friend of mine is a paraplegic since 2000 after the Qualis he was driving toppled due to a faulty driveshaft which sheared off. He lost another friend in the accident. They had the parts sent to the US and got certified that the shaft was indeed faulty and took Toyota to Court. Their lawyer is very well known and her husband is a former Minister and a lawyer himself. Needless to say, the case was dismissed after the lawyer scuttled it.

This is going to be a long drawn affair and I wish you have the strength and energy to pursue the same.

But first, the priority is your son and I wish you devote as much time as you can for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindb4 View Post
Hi I am a newbie here. Cannot figure how to pm. Please help
I think you need 25 posts for PM to be enabled. You can click on the member's name and a drop-down menu will allow you to connect to him.

All the best!
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 20:22   #90
BHPian

Wishing you and your family, the strength to pull through the difficult times and wishing young Madhav a speedy recovery. One can only imagine the trauma the family goes through when something like this happens.

As a start why don't you start an online campaign in a portal like change.org asking for an investigation by a reputed institution (say an IIT)? At the least this will get some media attention and may bring up more such cases.

Again, wishing your son a speedy recovery.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks