Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2018, 22:59   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindb4 View Post
I hope that I can reach out to you if required. Thanks again
Sure you can, I will be happy to help you as much as I can. Please PM me in case you need any help. There are some information, which I would like to keep away from public forums. Please keep us updated, good luck.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 01:17   #167
BHPian

Reminds of the crash that my friend had some time back in 2015.
Had a thread running here.

FORUM LINK

Now, he did not get to the bottom of this and I cannot blame him here. He is an entrepreneur who had started a business at Cochin; the crash happened at Mangalore and frequent trips from Cochin neglecting his business was not practical for him. And I believe he never got a response from Mahindra. From what I am aware of, he settled for the total loss claim from his insurance and move on with a shaken faith in Indian manufacturers. The vehicle was inspected and investigated from by Mahindra. Had Mahindra incorporated the findings into the newer facelifts? dont think so

I hope you get a proper answer to your questions and wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Last edited by glenmz : 30th July 2018 at 01:21.
glenmz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 17:48   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
The answer to all questions is that we have to be more pro active, resilient and unwavering. I know I am not going to get my answers easily but I have decided to anchor till I don't. For my pertinent queries, let's see what Mahindra has to say. I am a little worried because my sense so far in investigating and finding, is that the plane was never airworthy from the conception and design . So how can rules 'apply.

Last edited by ampere : 1st August 2018 at 06:44. Reason: trimmed quoted post
arvindb4 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 17:51   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I agree with your points about safety in general with Indian car makers. However, I don't understand how structural integrity of Hyundai and Maruti comes into picture here. They do adhere to Indian standards. I have no cars from either.

The point about this whole thread is why the airbags which are present did not deploy. Is there now a new expectation for airbags that they need not deploy? And is that meeting some kind of new Indian standards ?
Maybe I dont know, what are the standards prescribed for Indian cars? Is there anything that defines structural integrity of a car or any other parameters like ABS, air bags, testing criteria etc.

I am not sure in general i understood what point you are trying to make. I took structural integrity as an example. But my point is that we as consumers are getting short changed at the hands of manufacturers and Mahindra's actions in this case are no different. With no clearly defined Indian test criterias, product requirements, and general lack of accountability in the country how would you reliably buy a product which does what it is advertised to.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 18:08   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I guess the below link talks about the same incident with an explanation from Mahindra team as to why the airbags did not activate.

https://www.cartoq.com/xuv500-crash-...-explains-why/

Last edited by ampere : 1st August 2018 at 06:45. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
cbatrody is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 20:20   #171
BHPian

Best wishes for your son's speedy recovery.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 20:55   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
I guess the below link talks about the same incident with an explanation from Mahindra team as to why the airbags did not activate.
We are believing here as if the manufacturer speaks the gospel truth. I have yet to find a post here, where the manufacturer has been questioned on the integrity of his components and certifications.
I think all the skeletons would tumble out, if someone seriously questions them in the same tech jargon they reply in.

Last edited by ampere : 1st August 2018 at 06:45. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
arvindb4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 21:32   #173
BHPian

Quote:
We are believing here as if the manufacturer speaks the gospel truth.
Please don't misunderstand me, I am in no way supporting Mahindra here. If one goes through their responses provided in the URL, it's a complete hogwash. They seem to have attributed the airbag issue to Aquaplaning and ESP without doing a thorough Root Cause. Looks like the issue died down eventually without any follow ups from the affected user and M&M not taking any accountability.

I've tweeted to Anand Mahindra this morning requesting him to look into this thread, however, no response yet.
cbatrody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 23:29   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
Please don't misunderstand me, I am in no way supporting Mahindra here.
No misunderstanding and no offence. I appreciate your support. I am going to ensure that this thread remains alive until a resolution is arrived at. You are right about the Mahindra response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Maybe I dont know, what are the standards prescribed for Indian cars? Is there anything that defines structural integrity of a car or any other parameters like ABS, air bags, testing criteria etc.
You are absolutely right.

Last edited by ampere : 1st August 2018 at 06:46. Reason: Merged; formatted
arvindb4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 10:23   #175
Senior - BHPian

Hope you son is recovering well, best wishes.

I have long decided to buy a car thats a world car (sold in developed markets as well). And bought the Duster only to find out the air bags are not the same as them sold overseas. How ironical is that!!

If you have the money, buy CBUs. Not even assembled/built in India ones. Thats the only way out IMO. Somehow we spend lot of money on houses but not on cars. I myself also suffer from this syndrome.
Equus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 15:04   #176
BHPian

Quote:
I am putting my life and savings at stake for this cause. Nothing short of the likes of the chipko movement. I can't bear to see my son like this and I don't want that a single life is wasted like this.
This is the only thing that can make any difference at all.

Tragic that change happens only after incidents like these, but the only recourse is to dig your heels in and abandon all notions of surrender or compromise.

Best of luck in your fight, and do keep us posted. You did a good thing by putting this incident up on Team-BHP...I'm pretty sure alarm bells are already going off at M&M headquarters. The very least your post will do, is to raise questions about Mahindra's quality control, which will DEFINITELY impact their sales. In fact, I'm sure that this thread alone has resulted in quite a few changed decisions about which car to purchase next.

At the end of the day, corporates care only about their bottom line, and if you want them to take notice of your complaint, you have to make sure that their sales are hit. All else is hyperbole.

Best wishes for your son's recovery - He made it out alive, and that is the most important thing. The body is a resilient, intelligent machine (far more than any vehicle manufactured by M&M) and it's ability to repair itself is unparalleled. It may take some time, but I have a strong feeling that your son will come out of all this perfectly fine.

Last edited by ads1485 : 31st July 2018 at 15:09.
ads1485 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 17:10   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Hope you son is recovering well, best wishes.
That is so ironical. But how does one find what airbags the car has?

Last edited by ampere : 1st August 2018 at 06:46. Reason: Formatted
Old 31st July 2018, 22:58   #178

Arvindbhai, wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Im a novice here, but will approaching the consumer forum provide / force these manufacturers to respond and be more accountable. Also the silence on Mr. Mahindra inspite of tweeting him is surprising. While we may not expect him to respond on a public forum like twitter, any gesture to investigate this matter would be much appreciated and reflect his social responsibility.

Hope M&M take some accountability and revert to you with their findings soon. Wishing you & your family peace in the meanwhile.
Alchemist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 05:40   #179
BHPian

Arvind, hope your son is recovering well. Our prayers are with you. Couldn't believe Mahindra was so pathetic to your concerns. My co-brother was actually planning to buy an XUV. When I showed him this thread, he extended his budget and bought a Fortuner in stead. He bought Toyota, not because of safety issues with the XUV, but due to cold or no response from Mahindra.
We wish a speedy recovery for your son.
JoseVijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 12:58   #180
Senior - BHPian

Sir, I’m deeply saddened looking at the thread and the trauma your son and ultimately you going through! God’s with you and your family sir. Wishing a speedy recovery.

A lot has been said by our fellow bhpians on the post mortem of the car. So do we have to question the QC & QA of parts going into a car or the entire car itself? Is it because the manufacturers in India particularly are so competitive, they’re claiming to offer multiple features at a competitive price? Is this why Germans & Japanese manufacturers are the best who never compromises on build quality, despite having their share of issues with after sales?

I’m deeply saddened to see these disturbing images. Hope M&M focuses on building better products than to just keep introducing refreshed vehicles every 3 years. XUV has put us down. This is a lesson to all our manufacturers based in India to take safety as their priority and not just a tag line associated to their products and advertising.
gururajrv is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks