Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2020, 12:22   #61
BHPian

re: Miscreants assault me & damage my car (EDIT: accused now in police custody)

Sorry that you had to go through this. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Glad that you had Dashcam footage.

I had a similar incident in Chennai - Pondy ECR. I was driving towards Pondy (around 2:00 PM) and from the opposite side, Two guys in Honda Dio splashed a semisolid mixture in my windshield and went away. Luckily there was a Veg Hotel nearby in 300 mts where I stopped my car and later found that they threw a fruit mixture packet in my car windshield. I'm not sure what was their intention.

Post that incident, I started carrying a small iron rod (similar to a crowbar that would have a sharp end in one end and flat end on the other) under my seat. Though we won't get out immediately and go for rage. This iron rod gives me satisfaction that I can manage situations like this till some extent.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 12:43. Reason: Minor spacing
ash22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 12:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

So many of these happen on a small scale and finally one such encounter gets cam'ed.

Wonder whats happening with Bangalore traffic sense these days.

As Redliner says, I would not have thought twice to have a go at them, even if it meant a blow or two on me... I would not mind even running down their bike with my car, one glass is anyways gone, why not a bumper and a headlight too; but that is the stupid-in-me talking.

You WERE/ARE/WILL BE an EPITOME of an Example for Us and your Kids, if you have one or more.

SALUTE...!
svsantosh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 12:53   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Mistaken identify? Revenge for something else? This incident is too random otherwise, especially considering the time of day and that they attacked you despite so many onlookers.

As suggested, get a lawyer for how this should be handled. Take care!

I wouldn't take the cop's word for it. Should someone actually do this, the cops would have enough to harass the victim, regardless of how justified/right the victim was or that it was in self-defense.
I wouldnt agree to the randomness of this event. I am a thorougbred kannadiga, born, raised and pay my damn IT and road taxes here. To affirm, can speak the choicest of abuses as well. I faced a similiar situation in 2013 at around 9:45pm. This started off outside Urvashi Theater while i was heading back home in Basavangudi post a meeting. I overtook a red colour i20 and from Lalbagh west gate signal onwards this red colour car was driving a little brash to meet me at the Sheesh Mahal signal. While i had stopped there, one guy suddenly jumped out of the car and came charging towards mine.

Sensing, all was not well, i took off in driving as fast as i could towards Gandhi Bazaar signal while watching the guys in the i20 chase me from behind. Unfortunately, the regular cops in Gandhi Bazaar signal were not around so I had to drive a little faster in and out of roads and finally driving straight into Basavangudi Police station. While i was trembling as soon as i jumped out of the car there, thankfully the cops saw me in a tie and suit and surrounded me. Post my explanation of what happened, the cops radioed out messages to stop any similiar i20 in the vicinity. While all this happened, the i20 saw me entering the police station , went around the block and returned to be waiting right outside the police station. Luckily one of the cops who heard this message stopped the car and checked for any weapons. While they were none, I was asked to return home safe and call the police station once i reached. Spoke to a lawyer friend and he advised me to park my car elsewhere and not park it inside home for another fortnight.

Long story short, Bangalore is no longer safe, it no longer is the pensioners paradise, but has rather become way too unsafe for my liking. Being a kannadiga, i say this with confidence. While this is a situation i faced years back as a kannadiga, i can only quite imagine how much more unsafe this place is for the outsiders. Hoping the cops take notice of the deteriorating situations in Bangalore

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 12:46. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
akshays is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:10   #64
BHPian

Thilak I'm aghast after reading the ordeal you went through! You showed commendable mental stability & presence of mind get out of the situation with minimal damage to self.

Sadly, cases of violence involving goons on two wheelers assaulting occupants of cars is getting rampant all across the nation. I have been to Bangalore many a times & always appreciated the peace of mind one experiences even when taking a stroll along the roads close to midnight. Cases of assault akin to this are much common in N India & saddens me to see similar incidents popping up in a progressive city like Bangalore. If a male driver can be assaulted in daylight on a busy street what message does this occurance deliver to the females of the nation? You are not safe on foot or in taxis & now not even in the cocoon of your own car. Regressive.

However, I must emphasize it once again that you did well to react in a sensible manner. The Indian crowd will neither cheer nor intervene. Personal safety is paramount brother, these elements have chosen a path in life with nothing or little to lose whereas we are all that our families have.

As mentioned in numerous posts above, it is advisable to keep a pepper spray handy as deterrent. I'm not sure about batons/hockey sticks/slugger as brandishing any of those will instinctively make the other guy grab something (brick, stone, a rod or a stick) in self defence hence escalating the situation. It is for the same reason that carrying replicas of firearms is considered suicidal in the USA etc because such items tend to draw an extremely violent defensive reaction from assailants high on intoxicants. Take care, speedy recovery.
atu2good is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:14   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
So many of these happen on a small scale and finally one such encounter gets cam'ed.

As Redliner says, I would not have thought twice to have a go at them, even if it meant a blow or two on me... I would not mind even running down their bike with my car, one glass is anyways gone, why not a bumper and a headlight too; but that is the stupid-in-me talking.

You WERE/ARE/WILL BE an EPITOME of an Example for Us and your Kids, if you have one or more.

SALUTE...!
Absolutely well said sir.. the first thing that comes in your mind is to hit back.

But different people react differently and what he did was perfect.

SALUTE from my side as well.

There is no set pattern to react in such situations, so fitting dashcam is the best way ahead. Was this is a Out of state car situation?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 12:50. Reason: Minor spacing
silverado is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

So sorry to hear about your ordeal. Road rage, unfortunately, has become so rampant almost in every city. Thank god it's close to impossible to purchase a gun. I just noticed that the scooter that they were riding was a rental one.

Please share your experience on every social media platform that is available. I wouldn't mind hunting these low lives personally and teach them a lesson they won't forget. It's good that the police are cooperative.

Hire a damn good lawyer and make him slap an "Attempt to murder" case on the assailants (if that is possible). Sorry for jumping the gun but incidents like these really shoots up my temper very badly.

Hats off to you for maintaining your presence of mind.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 12:50. Reason: Minor spacing
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:19   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

This is terrifying. Broad daylight and bang in the city center. How can we safely go out at night?

Thilak, you did the absolute right thing of not provoking them further. Do follow with the cops, rental company and the lawyer. Let the higher officials of the police department know this. Try to meet them as well.

I know it will take time to forget this but wishing you a speedy recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Although, it makes our blood boil and want to take on them (like you said "stupid in me talking". I would also feel the same way), it's one of the worst things to do in my opinion. It will make matters worse. My cousin reacted and he was struck with an iron rod to his head. We almost lost him but thankfully, he recovered after almost 2 years. And this happened in Koramangala, near Forum .

Collect the evidence/witness and leave to the judicial department. I know it will take time and might not be a favorable judgement, but it's the best thing that the victim can do.

My personal opinion after witnessing few similar incidents that ended very badly.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 4th March 2020 at 13:31.
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:30   #68
BHPian

Wishing you a speedy recovery friend. This is horrible. Glad you kept a check on your temper as these goons don't think twice before harming any human . Please try and avoid this route if possible considering if police does act, they may try to find some opportunity to cross your path again.

I personally believe that if in case any goon tries to harm on a busy road (without divider), one should move in the middle of the road, get away from the car and maximise visibility assuming there'd be some good samaritan to come and help/escape. It will also give them the fear of creating eye witnesses who can support your version if situation becomes bad.

God bless you and wishing you a fast recovery.
ShankarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:32   #69
BHPian

I'm really sorry to hear that you had to go through such an ordeal for no reason. What baffles me is that we as a society have gone notches down in name of civilization. No one, I mean not a single soul tried to intervene. I know that people must have their own safety apprehensions but this is just not acceptable, how can we let that happen in front of our eyes when our conscience is continuously telling us that something's not right. Makes me seriously questions our theory of society and existence.
sachin_cs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 14:17   #70
Senior - BHPian

Friend, trust me. After what has happened, you have these culprits right where you want them.

Push the legal system to arrest them and then do not budge for a out of court settlement. With your evidence, these people will have to beg in front of you for a settlement. But dont do it, in fact post arrest, find out more about these people and make sure their offices know about their on-going case. They will be fired in no time.

This is exactly what these people deserve.

Too much to ask, but would be great if some Bangalore Team-BHPians can help our friend here with any local contacts which will make legal machinery work as it is supposed to.
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 15:15   #71
BHPian

In situations like this most of the time both parties are pumped with adreline and dont really think, a very loud noise usually causes a distraction and could possibly diffuse the situation or give you some kind of an advantage. I think its a good idea to carry 3 things in your car always.

1. Dummy Walkie talkie - People often think you are some one not to mess around with if you have a walkie talkie, pretend to use it or get a real one.

2. Car escape tool or something similar thats a bit heavy that can be used for self defense.

3. fix the loudest horn (wolf horn) you can find to use in such situations, it not only might chase them away it attracts a lot of attention.

4. The best way to win a fight is to not fight - Although its a good idea to escape from the situation it also gives confidence to the offender to chase you down and double down on you.

When you saw them following you in the rear view mirror and there is traffic its only a matter of time until they get to you.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 12:51. Reason: Minor spacing
Whiplash7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 15:16   #72
Senior - BHPian

Good thing you had a dash cam installed. It's a solid piece of evidence and will keep the pressure on the cops to not dilute the investigation.

You should be sorted as long as your legal remedy is concerned. If you notice the cops calling you and talking to you about 'things like these happen' , they were young boys etc, you know whose spokesperson they are. Media in circumstances like these can prove helpful.

Also, the way things are today I strongly suggest everyone to carry a wooden stick roughly 3 feet long next to the driver side. These goons normally flee when retaliated at.

There is a thin line between maintaining your composure and defending yourself. After the initial assault, when they stopped you again a quick wack on their shoulder or knees would have set them straight. Iron rods can also be used but can cause serious injuries including death. A wooden stick gets the job done perfectly.

Of course every situation needs to be dealt with according the the given circumstances. Don't retaliate at the onset but dont hold back when things start getting unreasonable.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 12:51. Reason: Minor spacing
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 15:29   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good to see this has made it to the news! Pic courtesy = Jaggu.

Miscreants assault me & damage my car (EDIT: accused now in police custody)-whatsapp-image-20200304-15.17.48.jpeg
GTO is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 15:31   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good to see this has made it to the news! Pic courtesy = Jaggu.

Attachment 1976423
Courtesy to a TeamBHP fan who noticed the thread, and connected the victim with channel Anyways good to know that this has got some media attention and builds awareness as well as help bring culprits to justice.
Jaggu is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 15:36   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
The criminals should be easy to identify as the two wheeler is from one of the two wheeler rental company. All such two wheeler have GPS and tracking system installed.
I think the number is KA51 AX 2878, which is Electronic City RTO.
Try to get in touch with the RTO to get the details of the rental company, that will help in tracking down the criminals who did this.
It is KA51 AB 2878 and is registered on A.S. Justride tours and travels name.

Vehicle class is 2 wheeler for hire.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 12:53. Reason: Minor spacing
pravint is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks