Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2022, 16:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Global NCAP has published new safety ratings for the #SaferCarsForIndia project. Some new models were rated and some previously tested models were re-assessed against the organisation's updated evaluation protocols which include, among others, a side mobile barrier impact test in addition to the frontal offset deformable barrier test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
Glad that the Scorpio did very well. But I'm doubting whether GNCAP really have a serious beef with Maruti. They just ran side impact tests on models with no side airbags and just gave it one star rating. Didn't even bother re running the frontal tests and reused data from couple of years back. Without side airbags none of them would've went beyond 2 stars. Not that they don't know that. If they were really interested in assessing MS, they could've ran the tests on the new Brezza or Baleno or even the GV/Hyryder twins.Honestly disappointed. I was expecting at least one of them to be tested.

Would they dare do the same with Altroz, Nexon and Punch and re rate them? For sure they won't go above two stars (Star cap on cars with no side/curtain airbags). Serious question.

Heck, S Presso was the last car to be tested under old protocols. It's been what, 6 months? Does GNCAP expect a difference in such a short amount of time without any change in equipment?
I follow Gagan Choudhary on youtube and came across his post on instagram. He quoted on recent results by NCAP- Mahindra sent the Scorpio for tests, whereas the Maruti cars were tested by GNCAP themselves . He also quoted GNCAP is a business, not a charity.

I remember even Tata sent the Punch and Altroz for tests. Same with Mahindra for XUV700. Whereas the Venue/Seltos and Carens were tested by GNCAP themselves. I really hope there is nothing happening under the table and other related shady stuff.
07CR is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:31   #17
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests

No way anything is happening under the table.

Its manufacturers wish to send vehicles.

GNCAP would anyway have tested Tata Mahindra if they would not have sent the vehicles.

Videos and all evidences are present so there is no chance of any under hand deals.
sagsaw is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:35   #18
BHPian

Does Global NCAP know that safety comes at a price!

A higher safety standard by Maruti will certainly push many 4W buyers to 2W, those are 100% unsafe than even a 1 star rated cars. We all know how 2W are ridden in India, without helmets, underage riding and sometimes with the whole family.

They should just educate people to buy the highest safety level that one can afford, not lampoon Maruti's portfolio.
Blackwing is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:39   #19
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I follow Gagan Choudhary on Youtube and came across his post on instagram. He quoted on recent results by NCAP- Mahindra sent the Scorpio for tests, whereas the Maruti cars were tested by GNCAP themselves . He also quoted GNCAP is a business, not a charity.

I remember even Tata sent the Punch and Altroz for tests. Same with Mahindra for XUV700. Whereas the Venue/Seltos and Carens were tested by GNCAP themselves. I really hope there is nothing happening under the table and other related shady stuff.
Hi CR07,

What do you have to say about the Kushaq and the Taigun? Did SAVWIPL send them to GNCAP for testing or were they tested by GNCAP themselves? I do know that for almost a year, many people were asking them to send the cars for crash testing but Mr. Hollis was being very diplomatic about it and in a way refused to send the Kushaq for crash testing voluntarily. So at the very least, we do know that they were not keen on volunteering for GNCAP crash test initially.

Regards.

Last edited by AYP : 12th December 2022 at 16:40.
AYP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He also quoted GNCAP is a business, not a charity.

Sorry, he's wrong -

Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests-screenshot_2022121216334680_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

They pick cars from the dealership for their tests, so manufacturers have no say in which exact vehicle gets tested.

If the vehicle is being bought by them, the purchase cost comes from towards zero foundation. If manufacturers are volunteering vehicles for the test, the manufacturer bears the cost.

All details about GNCAP is documented, this thread (Global NCAP crash tests | Broken down & explained) can be a good starting point in case you're interested in learning more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Did SAVWIPL send them to GNCAP for testing or were they tested by GNCAP themselves? ...
This is from GNCAP's twitter feed -
Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests-img_20221212_164828_964.jpg

All cars with (*) have been volunteered by their manufacturers

Last edited by ph03n!x : 12th December 2022 at 16:51.
ph03n!x is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
GlobalNCAP congratulates Mahindra on its continuing commitment to safety. However, it's of great concern that the manufacturer with the largest market share in India, Maruti Suzuki, still offers such poorly performing models.
Quote:
The Maruti Suzuki ratings showcase disregard for the safety of Indian drivers, passengers & road users. Safer Cars For India has shown how quickly manufacturers can adapt to meet GNCAP’s safety standards, it’s time for Maruti Suzuki to learn from other manufacturers like Mahindra.
Yep. They do have a serious beef with Maruti.

Mahindra's best selling model is Bolero. Have you tested it yet?

Maruti have introduced new models with the said safety features. Have you tested them?

Are you going to re assess all the other models you previously tested against your new protocol?

Have you even bothered properly re-testing the Swift, Ignis and S Presso instead of reusing old data? Are you confident that the manufacturer haven't made any structural changes for better or for worse during frontal tests?

Both the Ignis and S Presso were 'Made for African market' models as per your own records. Are you sure they are identical to the ones sold in India?

Had you tested any of their newer models or at least the updated Ertiga/XL6 and had they fared poorly (anything less than 4 stars is poor for me), believe me, I would've joined you with pitchforks. Instead you went for a cheap shot. That is simply not cool in my books.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:49   #22
BHPian

Re: GNCAP December 2022- Scorpio N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
It is high time, each of the car's safety rating is mandatorily stuck on the "windshield" just like car of the year. This will prompt end buyers to think twice, before buying unsafe products.
Good idea, it should also be labeled on specification sheets as well.
I really don't understand why they don't want to make safer cars of the masses. All these are good products but are unstable and unsafe - Seriously Suzuki ?

Div
Old 12th December 2022, 17:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I follow Gagan Choudhary on Youtube and came across his post on instagram. He quoted on recent results by NCAP- Mahindra sent the Scorpio for tests, whereas the Maruti cars were tested by GNCAP themselves . He also quoted GNCAP is a business, not a charity.
While I am not going to brush off NCAP ratings, I wouldn't blindly trust them either. They always have resources to test some of the cars twice but never had enough fund to test the Safari/Harrier twins.

Previous gen scorpion, which was a terrible performer is still on sale, why not test that car too?

People who think it's wrong to question an organisation like GNCAP should understand that its the company's duty to respond to such doubts. We can't expect people to accept everything blindly just because they say they are a non profit organisation.
giri1.8 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:08   #24
BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra. Same compliment goes for most modern Tata vehicles as well.
Coming to the likes of Maruti Suzuki & Hyundai, I keep getting surprised every time by their attitude and low priority towards safety in their cars. Both Maruti Suzuki & Hyundai offer brilliant cars in terms of features, engine specs etc. but they are equally non committed towards safety. Hope this changes soon.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi CR07,

What do you have to say about the Kushaq and the Taigun? Did SAVWIPL send them to GNCAP for testing or were they tested by GNCAP themselves? I do know that for almost a year, many people were asking them to send the cars for crash testing but Mr. Hollis was being very diplomatic about it and in a way refused to send the Kushaq for crash testing voluntarily. So at the very least, we do know that they were not keen on volunteering for GNCAP crash test initially.

Regards.
SAVW did send both cars for testing eventually. It's mentioned on GNCAP website.
Old 12th December 2022, 17:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Coming to the Marutis, it is surprising is that the S-Presso is safer than the Ignis and the Swift in adult protection. Though in absolute terms, the safety rating is mothing too talk about. At a personal level, I always used to feel that Ignis was a relatively safe(for a Maruti) car and expected it to fare better than the Swift. While I do know that one shouldn't make assumptions about safety, this example just reinforced it for me.
Expected the Swift and Ignis to do better. The former is selling since a decade and half.

Leaves me wondering if the newly launched Grand Vitara and the Brezza, despite being based on the TECT platform, will fare great.
Old 12th December 2022, 17:29   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

own -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
--
They pick cars from the dealership for their tests, so manufacturers have no say in which exact vehicle gets tested.

If the vehicle is being bought by them, the purchase cost comes from towards zero foundation. If manufacturers are volunteering vehicles for the test, the manufacturer bears the cost.

---
Global NCAP has methods of selecting a car for testing.

In the case of Scorpio N, this could be the case. (Highlighted below) and in case of Maruti's it is of Global NCAP's own interest.

(*) Voluntary Test Procedure

Quote:
- Manufacturer reaches out to Global NCAP with a request to submit a model for voluntary testing.

- Global NCAP selects the vehicle for testing. If the model is already in the market, the vehicle is sourced anonymously from a random dealership. If the model is pre launch but in production, Global NCAP makes an independent selection from production vehicles at the plant (not accepting any special series).

- Vehicles are sealed and transported to an accredited crash test laboratory.

- Global NCAP informs the manufacturer of relevant VIN numbers selected and invites representatives to observe testing.

- Crash tests are performed and a detailed technical inspection completed.

- Global NCAP shares the test report with the manufacturer.

- A one to one meeting is held with the manufacturer to inform them of the results.

- Results are published through Global NCAP’s communication channels.

- After publication, Global NCAP invoices the manufacturer for all relevant testing costs.

- Global NCAP retains the right to audit any of the voluntary models tested.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th December 2022 at 17:53.
Old 12th December 2022, 17:30   #28
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Indian S-presso scores 1-star for adult safety, whereas South African one score 3 stars for adult safety. Shows double standards of Suzuki clearly.
It's literally the same car. They re-used the test data. GNCAP updated their protocol. So the score went down. Imagine scoring 50/100 in a test and the invigilator saying the max is now 150 but you don't qualify for the extra 50 marks. That's what happened here. All the cars including Tiago, Nexon, Altroz, Punch and even XUV300 depending on the sales data, would be capped at 2* under the new protocol.

If GNCAP can confuse a BHPian with such headlines, imagine the case of an average consumer.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:34   #29
BHPian

Indifferent attitude of the largest selling manufacturer towards safety has led to this. They should be ashamed of their vehicle build qualities. Moving coffins is what I would say for Suzuki vehicles on road today.
Old 12th December 2022, 17:35   #30
BHPian

Sad to see the Maruti results. This lack of safety is now common knowledge to the extent that cab owners and drivers say that Maruti provides safety for the bigger cars but nothing for the smaller ones. However, they also say that economy, not safety, is the criteria for selecting a Maruti, and this fact won’t change anytime soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks