Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2022, 17:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests

Instead of calling out MSIL for making unsafe cars, people here on this thread are busy calling out for not testing the HyRyder or Grand Vitara and diverting attention in the process.

When people can go all out in defending Maruti Suzuki or Hyundai for their pathetic show by deflecting the blame on GNCAP, safe cars selling in India can only remain a dream.
tanbeamer is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:42   #32
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests

While I congratulate Mahindra, that side impact test at 50kmph does highlight the toppling tendency with these 'tall-boy' designs.

Look at the video around the 1 min mark.

This situation is very relatable at a traffic junction and may lead to secondary injuries.

Last edited by dust-n-bones : 12th December 2022 at 17:43.
dust-n-bones is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:47   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
While I am not going to brush off NCAP ratings, I wouldn't blindly trust them either. They always have resources to test some of the cars twice but never had enough fund to test the Safari/Harrier twins.
This. Why has Harrier not been tested yet? I would love to know how it fares with the placement of oil filter behind ABC pedals. What is the point of testing these cars in specific again? Especially non airbag models?

This is not to defend MSIL or any brands that have relatively weaker platforms, but these ratings are clearly being used as a marketing tool. I don't think it's comprehensive enough, many are prone to errors, neither am I satisfied with some manufacturers getting the clean chit because they make "5 star cars" or whatever.
epiccross is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbeamer View Post
Instead of calling out MSIL for making unsafe cars, people here on this thread are busy calling out for not testing the HyRyder or Grand Vitara and diverting attention in the process.

When people can go all out in defending Maruti Suzuki or Hyundai for their pathetic show by deflecting the blame on GNCAP, safe cars selling in India can only remain a dream.
I don't think people are defending MS or Hyundai. They are questioning the way GNCAP has been randomly selecting few cars for testing. Not to mention, most cars which the manufacturer is sending for tests does score much impressive numbers than the cars selected by GNCAP for tests themselves.
07CR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:53   #35
BHPian

Scared of the side impact (car crashing into side) of the Scorpio!!
Head has impact on the pillar but the curtain airbag did not deploy.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:54   #36
BHPian

Great job by Mahindra, however the chest area is in "red". Meanwhile the other manufacturer, enough has been said already. The lesser said the better. It is clear that they will continue to sell these "India" spec cars and people will continue to buy them. So no point discussing.

The side impact on the Scorpio shows the disadvantages of such a tall vehicle. A wider track would have helped, perhaps?
Old 12th December 2022, 17:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Scared of the side impact (car crashing into side) of the Scorpio!!
Head has impact on the pillar but the curtain airbag did not deploy.
It is the base model with 2 airbags. Kindly go through the document available on the GNCAP website.

Regards
Naparajito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
It is the base model with 2 airbags. Kindly go through the document available on the GNCAP website.

Regards
So for the pole impact, they used the top variant?
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:59   #39
BHPian

I'm waiting for Mahindra PR team to wake up and use this result to respond to Tata's recent jibe at the 4OO EV sales! Something along these lines would be hilarious...

"Going on a safari?
4WD and 5* >> ?
. "

No offense to the owners of these cars, I'm a fan of Tata and Mahindra!

Last edited by GKR9900 : 12th December 2022 at 18:01.
GKR9900 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 18:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
So for the pole impact, they used the top variant?
Yes they did, by disabling the airbags. The structure here remains the same unlike the Suzuki' of EU & India. Hope this clarifies.

Regards
Naparajito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 18:17   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I don't think people are defending MS or Hyundai. They are questioning the way GNCAP has been randomly selecting few cars for testing. Not to mention, most cars which the manufacturer is sending for tests does score much impressive numbers than the cars selected by GNCAP for tests themselves.
Kia sent the Carens voluntarily after all the bad press they got. It's a different story that their car still scored 3. Maruti Suzuki on the other hand refuses to send any car on their own.
tanbeamer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 18:34   #42
BHPian

Re: GNCAP December 2022- Scorpio N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso

Based on some news reports, isn't 2022 Baleno (and Glanza) supposed to be the one from where company has started giving some serious attention towards better rating ? (within hatchbacks I mean)
Revention is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 18:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwing View Post
Does Global NCAP know that safety comes at a price!
Not exactly.
If the intent is right and targets are set at initial design phase itself then making a safer car is more about good design/engineering and not just about materials.

Probably some companies don't have the resource or the brief from top management to work in this direction.
Gaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 18:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He also quoted GNCAP is a business, not a charity.
I'm no expert at legal stuff but can someone please go through this document and let me know if they can make any sense of it?

Quote:
Same with Mahindra for XUV700. Whereas the Venue/Seltos and Carens were tested by GNCAP themselves.
The Carens was tested at Kia's request and expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
What do you have to say about the Kushaq and the Taigun? Did SAVWIPL send them to GNCAP for testing or were they tested by GNCAP themselves?
From the press release:
Quote:
Note to Editors

The Volkswagen Taigun and Skoda Kushaq were tested in compliance with the requirements of Global NCAP’s voluntary test procedure.
Quote:
Yes they did, by disabling the airbags. The structure here remains the same unlike the Suzuki' of EU & India. Hope this clarifies
Not true. The curtain airbags were definitely active in the side pole test car. With the new assessment protocols the rating is now for the model as a whole, and the side pole test is allowed if side head protection airbags are fitted to at least 30% of units produced.

While on paper the GNCAP can test whatever car they want I'm kind of shocked they would pull off a 'Swiftzkrieg' on Maruti. With funding to test three small cars they could very well have tested one Maruti - say the Swift - and two other small cars like the Grand i10 or Tata Tigor (I believe these tests were conducted before the C3 was launched). It's also very obvious now that the GNCAP and Latin NCAP wash their hands by making testing transparent (inviting manufacturer representative to observe the test and sharing raw dummy data/measurements with them) but then exercise their bias by choosing test cars to their advantage. I'm not implying the bias is monetary, it seems to be against manufacturers who don't make improvements, but it's definitely there.

In Latin America they tested Brazil's #1 seller the VW Gol only once (in 2010) and never again in the 12 years of its existence, despite the model having safety equipment bad enough for zero stars with the new protocols. Meanwhile the new VWs were showered with five stars (only once they tested the ageing VW Fox which did not end well). Meanwhile they tested its rivals the Chevrolet Onix and Ford Ka four and three times respectively with not-so-good results. Go to the discussion section on Autoblog Uruguay or Motor1 Brasil/Argentina and you'll find what is close to a Team-BHP equivalent where this has been discussed at length over the years.

One thing in this round of results is quite inexcusable: the S-Presso and Ignis got zero-star child protection ratings in India because Suzuki South Africa didn't select child restraints for the original (i.e., old protocols) tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
Didn't even bother re running the frontal tests and reused data from couple of years back.
That all NCAPs do. The GNCAP have done it many times in Latin America unless the manufacturer has indicated there are improvements. Euro NCAP for example very recently reassessed the Volkswagen Touran against their 2022 protocols but reused many tests from the original 2015 assessment.

Quote:
Yes but the crash tests are done on the lowest variant to check the worst case scenario. Else, they could have used the top end variant.
They did use the top variant. Even when they say 'base variant' what they really mean is variant with basic safety spec. There is no rule in the vehicle selection-sponsorship-testing-retesting protocols that the test car has to be the most affordable variant per se.

In other news, I think the Swift's results are quite reasonable. No red critical body regions in either test (unlike version exported to LAC) + optional ESC + i-Size compatible rear seats means I'll be recommending this to someone shopping in the segment.

Last edited by ron178 : 12th December 2022 at 19:03.
ron178 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 18:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: GNCAP December 2022- Scorpio N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso

I am wondering why they have not tested the new Brezza and the new Baleno. The Swift/Espresso/Ignis models in India have not received any major update. We already know the structure is unstable and that the car's stars are not great. This is probably a waste of their time and resources.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks