Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2022, 18:54   #46
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post

Not true. The curtain airbags were definitely active in the side pole test car. With the new assessment protocols the rating is now for the model as a whole, and the side pole test is allowed if side head protection airbags are fitted to at least 30% of units produced.
Yes but the crash tests are done on the lowest variant to check the worst case scenario. Else, they could have used the top end variant.
Naparajito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 18:55   #47
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
It's literally the same car. They re-used the test data. GNCAP updated their protocol. So the score went down. Imagine scoring 50/100 in a test and the invigilator saying the max is now 150 but you don't qualify for the extra 50 marks. That's what happened here. All the cars including Tiago, Nexon, Altroz, Punch and even XUV300 depending on the sales data, would be capped at 2* under the new protocol.

If GNCAP can confuse a BHPian with such headlines, imagine the case of an average consumer.
Unfortunately its not. Originally S-presso scored zero stars. After Maruti Suzuki's upgrade it had scored 1 star. The SA version is totally different. Even Swift version for other countries are different. There are two separate crash test videos for S-presso Indian version and SA version both tested this year. You can check in GNCAP website under https://www.globalncap.org/safercarsforafrica & https://www.globalncap.org/safercarsforindia

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th December 2022 at 19:17. Reason: Duplicate post has been removed.
Old 12th December 2022, 19:06   #48
BHPian

Re: GNCAP December 2022- Scorpio N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
It is high time, each of the car's safety rating is mandatorily stuck on the "windshield" just like car of the year. This will prompt end buyers to think twice, before buying unsafe products.
Well the govt has to step in. They have to start looking beyond just collecting hefty taxes. When the govt can market it mandatory for electric appliances to have their efficiency ratings marked at the time of sale, why can't they have a mandatory safety rating for automobiles?

Certainly human life is more precious than saving energy!

Having said that the manufacturers themselves have to morally accept their role in this and start prioritising safety over fuel economy and maximation of profits by reducing cheap materials and cutting corners (Maruti you listening?)
Old 12th December 2022, 19:10   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revention View Post
Based on some news reports, isn't 2022 Baleno (and Glanza) supposed to be the one from where company has started giving some serious attention towards better rating ? (within hatchbacks I mean)
That's an expectation and at this point we don't know if the expectations will be met or will fail when the cars undergo the test.

If Maruti really was confident of its alleged much improved safety in the new Baleno why wouldn't they just send it to get tested? The cat is now out of the bag with the dismal results of the Swift, Ignis and the Espresso.

Maruti can only gain from here if the Baleno and the Brezza fare any better.
Old 12th December 2022, 19:10   #50
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Unfortunately its not. Originally S-presso scored zero stars.
I'm aware of the ratings. S-Presso improved from Zero to 3 stars based on their old protocol after the introduction of standard dual airbags. They just made it 1 after today's result. The car in question remains the same. The frontal offset scores remains the same. They just changed their methodology of scoring.

I'll make it very easy for you. Check the serial number on the cars and the video titles.

Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests-africa.jpg

Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests-india.jpg

They used a different car for assessing side impact scores. But without side/curtain airbags, they are obviously going to falter. The same applies to Ignis, Swift and all other cars without side/curtain airbags. Without them, cars can only score a maximum of 2 stars.

IMHO Global NCAP selectively targeted MS by testing their older spec models when they very well could've used the same resources to assess their newer spec cars. Isn't that the sensible way to assess a manufacturer's commitment to safety? Now, are they within their rights to do what they did? Of course. They're not a regulatory body. Would they do it to any other manufacturer? We'll never know. It's their choice.

If anything, Bharat NVSAP can't get here sooner. We should be getting a fair assessment of all the cars in the market. Not just ones that third parties wants us to see according to their whims and pleasure.

I don't want to derail the Swift thread any more. We can have the discussion in any other thread if you're not satisfied with my replies.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 12th December 2022 at 19:35.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 19:15   #51
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
Not exactly.
Probably some companies don't have the resource or the brief from top management to work in this direction.
Exactly, the company will have to shift R&D focus from affordability to safety, that also requires money(inadvertently burdening the customer).

Top management would happily order time and R&D devotion if they could charge it as CSR.
Old 12th December 2022, 19:44   #52
Senior - BHPian

I know its not going to be a popular comment, but I think there should be a law, stating that cars with lesser safety ratings / unsafe body shell should be speed restricted and not allowed on expressways.

When I drive my Nano, I am fully aware how unsafe it is. And I drive it accordingly. Always defensive, I make sure the distance from the other cars is more than required. I never drive it in the night, when speed of other cars quadruple. What I mean is, I am always conscious, of driving an unsafe car.

My question is, is a driver of a Swift / S-Presso or an Ignis, equally aware? I don't think so.

I will take an example.

Suppose, I bought an Ignis. The touch and feel is good, it appears well put together. Now, I have this false sense of safety, based on the impression I have, of a decent build quality of this car. And, I am not as conscious as I would be, driving the Nano. I will not hesitate in taking the car to its limits, might do unsafe speeds, never realising what would happen, in case I crash.

I have seen numerous such examples, where this is exactly what happened.

If your car is unsafe, accept it, own up. Dont look for excuses, shift blame and mislead your customers.

People are dying. Every day. In my opinion, giving your customers a false sense of safety is downright criminal. Your greed is killing people.
ashutoshb is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 19:57   #53
BHPian

Something of this sort was expected. Recently Mahindra is trying to get safety rating of all their vehicles 4* and above, and that speaks a lot about the manufacturer.
What we need is that the top 25 selling vehicles be rated and that rating displayed prominently.
Old 12th December 2022, 20:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I know its not going to be a popular comment, but I think there should be a law, stating that cars with lesser safety ratings / unsafe body shell should be speed restricted and not allowed on expressways.
Interesting comment. There is another thread which talks about restricting the speed of all cars to 120 kmph.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...-all-cars.html

I do not agree that argument but completely agree with you from a point that the owners should know what they get. The Govt should make it mandatory for the MAnufactures to send these cars to an independent Govt appointed body for testing and it should be published. Like an energy star rating for electronic appliances.
Randamoozham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 20:49   #55
BHPian

* Better awareness in drivers - safety, driving etiquette, lane discipline etc. (most important)
* Better infra (we're still being taxed heavily in my view that demands much better infra)
* Lesser taxes
* Affordable fuel costs
* Better and well regulated safety checks like Euro NCAP

And as a final step, we could implemented the system of safety ratings being displayed. I honestly am not keen of such "easy fixes" - the powers be are already doing such stuff (cries in 10 year diesel ban)
epiccross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 21:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not a practical suggestion.

Have you not seen trucks on Highways/expressways? What are the safety ratings of those trucks ? Do they even have basic equipment like ABS/AIRBAGS ?

Ditto for other commercial vehicles including passenger buses and HMVs.

And then there are Tempos, Rickshaws and most important of them all - Farm tractors ,all have free run on the highway.

Heck, even "Safety rating not applicable" 2- wheelers are not barred from highways.

It all boils down to individual responsibility. It doesn't matter one is driving a 5 star or 0 star, rash driving can kill anyone, although the probablity of getting killed in a lower safety car would be higher, doesn't mean a 4/5 star rated car is immune to mishaps.
DCEite is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 22:05   #57
BHPian

Quote:

People are dying. Every day. In my opinion, giving your customers a false sense of safety is downright criminal. Your greed is killing people.
Do we have any data that people in lower-rated cars are dying disproportionately on our roads? Without the data, all of this is pure speculation.

I can just as easily say that the opposite is true. People with 5-star rated cars just assume that their cars are invincible and drive at breakneck speeds with scarce concern for safety. Of course, this is a gross generalization but I have personally seen this tendency to overspeed on well-rated cars. No matter how well-rated your car is always remember it's just a thin sheet of glass or metal that's between you and mutilation. Considering the variables involved in any real-world collision scenario, the added protection that a 5-star car gives over a 3-star one would be marginal. That broken-down tanker in the fast lane at 2 AM with no underride protection bar isn't going to care whether yours is an autorickshaw or a Volvo. The end result will be similar if you are unlucky enough to plough through. So the most important part of safety is YOU - the driver. All other factors are marginal at best. We have seen this time and again in several high-profile crashes.

Anyway coming to the topic of this thread, what's the rating for S Presso finally from a layman's perspective? Is it Zero/Three or One? Changing the rating every 6 months is not going to bode well for GNCAPs credibility as an organization. How come S Presso gets a better score than Ignis for Adult occupant protection in the latest round? None of this makes any sense. Sorry, but the way GNCAP currently operates - it behaves like a teacher who is pushing up the marks of her favorite students while penalizing those who she doesn't like in an underhanded way without being too obvious. Unless there is another independent rating agency that corroborates their results I wouldn't hold any of the GNCAP ratings in high regard henceforth.

How do we know that manufacturers aren't modifying their cars to cater to the specific scenario that the GNCAP tests for while ignoring other areas? Sort of like knowing the question paper in advance for an exam and preparing only for those questions instead of the entire subject. How do we know that these ratings are consistent across same-model cars? How many cars do they crash test before arriving at this data? One. How reproducible is their rating across cars of the same batch/model? We see that since Maruti refuses to consider GNCAP as a legitimate agency and refuses to share child seat recommendations with them they usually receive lower child protection scores. So maybe in a similar vein, they refuse to modify their cars to cater to the specific set of crash tests that the GNCAP conducts. It is obvious that there is bad blood between GNCAP and Maruti and GNCAPs press release targetting Maruti looks childish and unprofessional IMHO. The S Presso sells around 2K and the Ignis around 4K as per the latest November data. What's the need for testing these models again and again while we have later-generation models that sell in higher numbers from the same manufacturer? Is it a ploy to make their favorite manufacturers look better when eventually their cars at the budget end of the spectrum receive lesser stars because of the updated norms.? Only time will tell.
darkfantasy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 22:14   #58
BHPian

I find it very odd that the Scorpio -N provides only 'marginal' protection to the chest, and is still rated 5-star. Considering that an impact on the rib cage can puncture the lungs and may lead to fatalities, I would have expected better from GNCAP.

GNCAP either needs to fix their calculation system, or needs to bring in a manual override in the form of star deduction for such cases in order to be credible.

Scorpio -N:

Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests-screenshot_20221212220713__01.jpg

Taigun:

Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests-screenshot_20221212220918__01.jpg

XUV-700 (as per older methodology):

Global NCAP puts Scorpio-N, Swift, Ignis and S-Presso through updated crash tests-screenshot_20221212221101__01.jpg
vipul_singh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 22:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

What I found most interesting is that SPresso scored the highest for adult protection score amongst the three Maruti cars. Ignis which is the most expensive amongst the three scored the least.

Ignis 16.48
Swift 19.19
SPresso 20.03

Last edited by Sankar : 12th December 2022 at 22:38.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 22:55   #60
BHPian

Congratulations Maruti for being no.1 in everything

Country's top selling Maruti cars are scoring 1 star (that was expected, not a surprise )
sulliavi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks