Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 16:06   #1846
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post

1. Oh Yes. Instincts work and they are very much there. Its strong for some and not so much for others.
Instincts also tell you whether that person standing on the median looking at your fast moving car will stay put or make a dash for it.
I dont think that its OT at all.
Problem pops up when we give more preference to uncle logic over grandad instinct.

2. Just for the kicks, take a quick test of your co-workers on the traffic rules and how many do they follow. The results wont surprise us. Its not the lack of knowledge and education, its the complete apathy towards anything that governs/directs AKA LAW. These same people drive like a church mouse when they go abroad(which they have been multiple times). These same folks dont find a small gap to slow down to let the ambulance go by.
1. I agree that the Granddad instinct helps. It is also safe to try and anticipate other road users' intentions.

2. Poor law enforcement is the reason for bad road ethics in India. This also varies from state to state.
Old 25th April 2011, 16:42   #1847
BHPian

My experience with bad drivers:
Scene 2a and 2b: Episode with two wheelers/ Chennai: many two wheeler drivers drive rash risking their and others' lives. Lady/children pillions, Child pillion with no attendant, luggage, unexpected turns without indicator, weave in and out antics, over take from left and immediately take a right turn etc. I give sufficient margin for them. But some of them are outright rouges in behaviour.
Scene 2a: Anna saalai (Mount Road), at one traffic light, due to traffic congestion, I took time to take the left turn. The two wheeler guy over takes, stops across and yells at me using foul language (knowing fully well that ladies and elders are with me in the car) for not going faster.
Scene 2b: Tambaram railway gate. Gate opens but there was a big jam and a lone cop was trying to clear the same. The traffic was stand still. one two wheeler guy keeps slamming my car roof and yelling at me to move ahead. My son, who was sitting behind, opened the window and told him to stop doing so but he continued with the same.

In Chennai, at times, I found that decency is taken advantage of and decency does not pay.
That takes us to Scene 3: Another time, after a two wheeler guy gave me a similar treatment of slamming the roof, I gave him a good chase once we were out of the jam. I was well under control of the car but I could see the panic in his eyes to the extent that he was faltering. Then I gave up the chase.
Old 26th April 2011, 02:35   #1848
Distinguished - BHPian

Been away (Thanks Airtel!) for four days, and I come back to a heap of err, youthful foolishness.

It's a great thing, off the roads. On the roads: it kills.

Probably everything else has been said.

Just a comment --- from an oldie.
Old 26th April 2011, 09:29   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Been away (Thanks Airtel!) for four days, and I come back to a heap of err, youthful foolishness.

It's a great thing, off the roads. On the roads: it kills.

Probably everything else has been said.

Just a comment --- from an oldie.
Welcome back!
If ever there was a lost cause. Only thing to do is to pray for your safety!
Old 26th April 2011, 16:35   #1850
BHPian

+1 to the youthful foolishness bit, lost causes, and praying for ones safety!!

Suhaas: Got your email, replied.
Old 26th April 2011, 18:31   #1851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Ouch Suhaas. That's gotta hurt!

If you want to pursue IronH4wk's suggestion further, then the owner of the car is some Mrs. Zohra Yusuf (courtesy btis.in/rto)

Cheers
Amitoj

Amitoj sir,

The website seems outdated. my CJ3B shows its still registered with the first owner.

my car doesn't seem to be registered at all. Would you know when was it last updated?

Or I may be not be putting up the registration the way it is supposed to be put.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 20:08   #1852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

Amitoj sir,

The website seems outdated. my CJ3B shows its still registered with the first owner.

my car doesn't seem to be registered at all. Would you know when was it last updated?

Or I may be not be putting up the registration the way it is supposed to be put.
Yeah but it atleast gives a start if it shows something. Enter the number without spaces and if area code is single digit, use 0 (e.g. KA01A1234)
My OHC is shown in my name, though i bought it second hand, but that was i think 3-4 years back.
My wife's i10 is also not showing up, though its been almost a year since we bought it. Maybe not all areas are covered. The i10 is a KA51 registration.

Double OT "sir" ?? There are some people here who deserve that title, but I am not one of them!!
Old 26th April 2011, 21:03   #1853
Distinguished - BHPian

Continuing , my Accent is still registered in my name according to the website. All details correct- name, engine & chassis no. But I sold off my car in Nov 2007!
Old 26th April 2011, 21:47   #1854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yeah but it atleast gives a start if it shows something. Enter the number without spaces and if area code is single digit, use 0 (e.g. KA01A1234)
My OHC is shown in my name, though i bought it second hand, but that was i think 3-4 years back.
My wife's i10 is also not showing up, though its been almost a year since we bought it. Maybe not all areas are covered. The i10 is a KA51 registration.

Double OT "sir" ?? There are some people here who deserve that title, but I am not one of them!!
Please do not take offense at the "sir". It was as in a manner of speaking.

Secondly this website will not be good to track down drivers (good, bad or ugly ones) Else at least folks would've known the driver by name
Old 29th April 2011, 18:29   #1855

Having a taught in mind also distracts your attention from road. I agree one handed driving is dangerous (while smoking), and I do it too.
I agree to this also that spotting Good driver is more difficult than to find a Bad one.
Where as a small step is very helpful, just keeping in mind that nobody should affected by driving or parking of my vehicle can obliterate many issues.
Driving with feeling of revenge will certainly make you a rash driver for sure!!!
Drive with patience and scene forgiveness, this will save your beloved vehicle and will control your BP.
Old 29th April 2011, 22:37   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_brullen View Post
Driving with feeling of revenge will certainly make you a rash driver for sure!!!
Drive with patience and scene forgiveness, this will save your beloved vehicle and will control your BP.
+1 to this. Revenge - EGO can be classified as one of the major causes of bad driving and subsequently accidents.
Old 30th April 2011, 01:24   #1857
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm a born-again non-smoker. Nobody gets to smoke in my car (least of all me!) and I don't particularly want to be shut in a car with someone who is smoking --- but I would not say that it was necessarily a pointer to a bad driver. Certainly I used to smoke and drive.

I was never too happy with the habit of a friend of mine, though, who used to roll his own cigarettes while driving on the motorway (UK) at 100-plus MPH!

Honestly, I do not think that the simple act of smoking even means driving one-handed. One can steer with both hands with a cigarette in one, one can change gear with a cigarette in the gear-changing hand. One also develops slick routines for these things which include a quick hand to mouth or hand to ash tray.

To pass a British driving test, you should use both hands on the wheel, except for the times of using one for a necessary, driving-related, action, such as changing gear. How many of us continue to use both hands in this way? I'm sure there are many details like this. Knowing them may make the difference, but simply not performing them all the time does not make us dangerous --- in itself.
Old 30th April 2011, 02:47   #1858
BHPian

Thad E Ginathom - Precisely! Nail on the head (coffin?)! The generalisation of such acts = bad driver is incorrect. It may hold true in some cases, maybe even most, but certainly not ALL.

Although, I fear for what you may have to now go through having posted such a "controversial" piece. Apparently, from instincts to the ability to smoke and drive or the ability to drive one handed with the other perched between the gear knob/hand brake is something taboo around here! A complete character assassination follows amidst much fanfare. As if one is advocating the above methods of driving whereas one was merely attempting to correct an incorrect generalisation of a poor driver.

I fear for 30 years down the lane when ABS will probably be standard on Motorcycles and some poor schmuck on a Forum tries to correct the wrong generalisation "not using ABS = poor rider".

Motorbrullen: True - "just keeping in mind that nobody should affected by driving or parking of my vehicle can obliterate many issues". (Dont recall the last time someone honked at me, not counting Bangalores -always in labour- call center cabs).
Old 30th April 2011, 03:32   #1859
BHPian

For me a bad driver is one who has no patience while driving a car. Many a times it happens that you are waiting at a red signal with about 12-13 cars in front of you. Now as soon as the signal turns green the person driving the car behind me starts honking. I mean what is the point of honking unnecessarily. It is not that I plan to be there all the time. Ofcourse I will move ahead. It does take some seconds for the first one to slot the gear into 1st and start moving. But people are not ready to wait. They start honking as soon as the signal turns green even though they are far away from the signal.

Also many a times people change lanes constantly just so that they can get a little ahead. I mean what is the point of it. Some people take the route which is meant for the other direction and then create traffic jams. If your car stalls while taking a U-turn the way people stare at you- Its like I have committed a major crime.

I am not saying that I am always patient while driving but then we all learn driving in such conditions and eventually learn all these things. I always keep my mind cool and calm while driving.
Old 30th April 2011, 14:33   #1860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was never too happy with the habit of a friend of mine, though, who used to roll his own cigarettes while driving on the motorway (UK) at 100-plus MPH!

Honestly, I do not think that the simple act of smoking even means driving one-handed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
Nail on the head (coffin?)! The generalisation of such acts = bad driver is incorrect. It may hold true in some cases, maybe even most, but certainly not ALL.
Very aptly said DevilsOwn. This is what I tried to convey to Thad E Ginathom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
If your car stalls while taking a U-turn the way people stare at you- Its like I have committed a major crime.
Yes I agree too. In addition to this, some people never give you side even if they are going slow and the other lane is empty. This also is irritating behavior often observed in old aged driver. Ironically, those are the people who even give you "The Stare" when you cross them from the other side.

Most Viewed