Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2014, 18:55   #7066
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

It is near the end of the month and the cops are always happy to find more idiots like him so they can clamp his car and issue a ticket. Quotas and targets to meet, like everybody else
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:08   #7067
BHPian

Not sure whom to blam here, the rider - for putting everyone at risk, the pillion riders- for not understanding the risk, or the Traffic - Police for turning a blind eye (not sure if they are scared of any harrasment cases).

I am sure this would be a right pack for an alto or nano!!

Source http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle6714299.ece

Also this morning noticed an MTC bus in Chennai having an air-horn, attached to the driver's door. I thought this was banned in the city!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-motorist.jpg  

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 22nd December 2014 at 11:10.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 13:43   #7068
Senior - BHPian

I was eating in a restaurant in adyar (topsee, next to the adyar bus depot) when everyone in the restaurant shut their ears in shock. A Scorpio with the flag of some minor political outfit had been fitted with what sounded like a hella double horn, connected to an amp and subwoofer, volume cranked up to the max. He was joking two or three times prior to reversing his car out of his parking slot into the traffic. Air horns are illegal and this was about ten times louder than an air horn
Old 23rd December 2014, 13:59   #7069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I was eating in a restaurant in adyar (topsee, next to the adyar bus depot) when everyone in the restaurant shut their ears in shock. A Scorpio with the flag of some minor political outfit had been fitted with what sounded like a hella double horn, connected to an amp and subwoofer, volume cranked up to the max. He was joking two or three times prior to reversing his car out of his parking slot into the traffic. Air horns are illegal and this was about ten times louder than an air horn
This is quite common with people who are compensating for their mini anatomical issues.

Had this type of a moron as a neighbour in the past. We had to take some drastic actions to rein in his nuisances.
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:01   #7070
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone forwarded a joke on whatsapp about "Ironies in our country" and one of them was this:
"Indians - we use screen guards/scratch guards to protect our mobile phones that already have Gorilla glass BUT we do not use helmets when riding vehicles!"

So true, and it sums up the state of affairs
NPV is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 10:52   #7071
BHPian

Quote:
what sounded like a hella double horn, connected to an amp and subwoofer, volume cranked up to the max.
For a moment, I literally thought that someone had fit the air-horn to an amp and subwoofer But yes, these bunch of *<add the words you feel like>* are true nuisance.

And there are others who fit Volkswagen horns (Bosch Symphony I believe..) on Honda Activa and zoom past.., especially on tiny stretches where there's room probably for one car to pass. It would take you some time to realize that its a two-wheeler trying to overtake you and not a car. But the heart attack that you get is imminent from the sound of it until the time of realization. I keep facing this horror almost everyday irrespective of me being on my car or the bike.
Old 24th December 2014, 12:21   #7072
Senior - BHPian

Dude I am serious. He literally HAD connected his horn to an amp and subwoofer. Sounded like an industrial siren from the noise levels. The horn on at least my amaze is so anemic that I did fit a minda trumpet. I only honk when absolutely necessary as well. That is just fine.

This connecting an already powerful horn to an audio system is just not on. And nobody, least of all a traffic cop, is going to do a thing given that the vehicle belongs to some minor politician.
Old 25th December 2014, 19:28   #7073
BHPian

Quote:
He literally HAD connected his horn to an amp and subwoofer
My Bad... When you mentioned "What sounded like", I thought you were just using a metaphor for description. In this case though, that guy is absolutely.., well I don't know what word to use here. Anything written in dictionary would not fit him for sure. We would have to find new words to describe such people.

BTW, even I use the horn only when absolutely necessary.
Old 25th December 2014, 20:42   #7074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
My Bad... When you mentioned "What sounded like", I thought you were just using a metaphor for description. In this case though, that guy is absolutely.., well I don't know what word to use here. Anything written in dictionary would not fit him for sure. We would have to find new words to describe such people.

BTW, even I use the horn only when absolutely necessary.
I usually use the horn when I see a vehicle I am about to overtake does not have a side view mirror or I find him/her driving haphazardly or to just let them know I am about to overtake from the side. Especially next to bikes, not to scare them but to make sure we have a safe distance between us.

Considering the increasing traffic here in Hyderabad, I find myself using the horn quiet often.
Old 25th December 2014, 21:27   #7075
Senior - BHPian

Often is how I end up using the horn, but generally given the number of college kids cutting between you and a truck in a two wheeler, I would say the honking is absolutely necessary.
Old 25th December 2014, 22:54   #7076
BHPian

I myself would absolutely love not to use the horn at all. But do I get that liberty on Indian roads? Very rarely. Often it becomes absolutely necessary to honk to attract the attention of the most ignorant drivers/pedestrians/cyclists, for their safety as well as my own. So it is hard to remain safe as well as not honk at the same time when in the middle of a bunch of people with no road sense. When the traffic situation demands honking, for the sake of safety, please don't hesitate to honk. Misuse and excessive honking should not be done however.
Old 25th December 2014, 23:25   #7077
BHPian

Bangalore maintains Mondays as " No Honk Mondays". I follow this rule to help avoid sound pollution, but as most of the team members feel, kids wheeling, Auto and car drivers on mobile and driving on the middle of the road dangerously force me to give a small ping of the twin-Horn.
Old 25th December 2014, 23:26   #7078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
I usually use the horn when I see a vehicle I am about to overtake does not have a side view mirror or I find him/her driving haphazardly or to just let them know I am about to overtake from the side.
True that. There is no other option left for us. We need to make people aware that we are near them before we get a dent or two. Also, some people think that the left side mirror is either useless (in case of cars) or is meant to help maintain their hairstyle (in case of bikers.., who of course do not use helmets). And I know some people; "Read: God gifted friends.., or should I say frenemies" who think that the mirrors in their vehicles make them look like donkey's ears (well, I don't know what makes them think so!), and so, they get them removed to make the bikes look good (don't ask me in what sense).

Quote:
Often is how I end up using the horn, but generally given the number of college kids cutting between you and a truck in a two wheeler, I would say the honking is absolutely necessary.
Agreed. Not to forget the fact that some of those kids might even end up near the bumper and fender trying to wheelie on an empty road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
When the traffic situation demands honking, for the sake of safety, please don't hesitate to honk. Misuse and excessive honking should not be done however.
I am always for the first part and against the second.., just the way you've put it Excessive honking when the traffic light is red is some kind of a disease that the cabbies and auto drivers have here in Bangalore. And there is this bunch which I've noticed who have their kids on their lap while driving.., and let the kid do the honking - anytime, anywhere, irrespective of requirement. Beat that!
Old 26th December 2014, 03:36   #7079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
True that. There is no other option left for us. We need to make people aware that we are near them before we get a dent or two. Also, some people think that the left side mirror is either useless (in case of cars)
Speaking of the left hand mirror, I keep running across indica taxis where it isn't fitted at all. Asked an ola cabbie and he said "the left hand side mirror is a chargeable extra accessory and so I didn't fit it".

Can't believe my ears. Is that really the case?
Old 26th December 2014, 07:43   #7080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of the left hand mirror, I keep running across indica taxis where it isn't fitted at all. Asked an ola cabbie and he said "the left hand side mirror is a chargeable extra accessory and so I didn't fit it".

Can't believe my ears. Is that really the case?
Yup. Many entry level hatches don't come with the left hand mirror as standard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks