Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2014, 10:57   #7006
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

The multi-level parking lot in my workplace is pretty well managed. Parking slots are well marked out, cones mark the way, security person at each floor during morning hours and a board on a pedestal at each floor's entry which shows if slots are available or not. Given that you need a minimum of a Graduate Degree to land a job here, the number of bad drivers I see here is appalling.

Yesterday, I was following two i10s on a fairly empty level. The one at the front was driving at a fair pace - 10-20 Km/h. Now the i10 behind him and just in front of me moves out on to the marked parking area, zooms past him driving on the marked area and takes a slot among roughly 50-odd empty spaces available. He might have saved roughly about 5 seconds by doing this circus.

Come today, I'm on the ramp, following a Swift which is in turn following an Amaze. We are on the ramp, and you doesn't even have to look away to spot the board which says "Parking Full" or "Available". Between level 4 and 5, the Swift stops bang on the ramp. A minute later he moves ahead and I come to see the driver of the Amaze parked across the ramp. He had gone past the board that said "Parking Available". Instead of going to the next level (there are 7 levels in total) the driver of the Amaze chooses to make a 6-7 point U-turn to come back in to level 4. I gave him an earful from my horns.

What do you call such drivers? Bad? Idiotic? Menace?
Old 21st November 2014, 13:11   #7007
BHPian

I found this on internet,this is bound to happen in near future in India !Activists please take note.

http://www.carthrottle.com/watch-thi...rian-crossing/
Old 21st November 2014, 14:06   #7008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
I found this on internet,this is bound to happen in near future in India !Activists please take note.

http://www.carthrottle.com/watch-thi...rian-crossing/
Another one -
msdivy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 14:23   #7009
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
What else can you guys add ?
I believe a driver who honks unnecessarily is an equally bad driver (at least, they posses a really bad attitude) - the moment the traffic signal turns green, in the middle of the night when there is minimal traffic etc
Old 21st November 2014, 17:42   #7010
BHPian

I see a new trend where people instead of sitting in the rider’s seat, prefer to sit in the pillion seat (well, the taller folks manage to occupy the entire pillion seat and shorter folks manage to occupy at least half of pillion seat). Until yesterday, I had seen this kind of riders only on scooters especially Activa.

Yesterday, I saw a guy riding discover 150, sitting almost in the pillion seat with arms extended doing over 75 kmph on an empty stretch (I was riding at 60 and he managed to overtake me).

As we approached the Honda showroom near the airport, we had to slow down to less than 30kmph as there was a traffic snarl due to metro construction activity. I decided to wait it out but the guy on discover decides to do a bit of off-roading to get ahead of the pack. The moment he went off the road, he lost his balance and he fell down.

Now, the reason why he fell down was because he was not able to put his feet down on the road on time. If he had ridden like all the “normal” folks he would have reached his home unscathed and without any damage to his bike.

Hope people who read this post learn from his mistake. And IT IS NOT COOL TO RIDE FROM A PILLION’s SEAT.
Old 21st November 2014, 18:50   #7011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Boy have I spotted one.

how do I take it out with an inch gap, and bang came the answer.. "you cant drive"? I had nothing more to say at that point..

Been there, done that.

The smart guy says the same thing, and bang comes my response:
'Nope. And I am not sure but I think I might scrape his car'.

Nuff said. The gentleman grudgingly reversed his car to make way for my hatchback.

I guess I have developed a thick skin. Have got that 'dont you know how to drive' from cabbies driving like lunatics and I still to my standard negative response. The look I get after that is Priceless!
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 14:08   #7012
BHPian

Got this from a Facebook post.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-d.jpg

What a negligence.

Last edited by kavu75 : 27th November 2014 at 14:10.
Old 27th November 2014, 14:14   #7013
BHPian

Yesterday I saw an old Maruti Zen with seven folks inside it - A three year old girl was sitting on the driver's lap with her hands on the steering wheel.

And they were doing 70kmph
Old 29th November 2014, 12:01   #7014
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Got this from a Facebook post.

What a negligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
Yesterday I saw an old Maruti Zen with seven folks inside it - A three year old girl was sitting on the driver's lap with her hands on the steering wheel.

Surprisingly, I have seen the Traffic Police are keen on penalizing offenses that has less impact on others (Sun-film, non-standard number plates etc) and offenses like the above are often ignored! I have seen many vehicles on the city during night without head lights / stop lights and I haven't seen them being stopped
Old 29th November 2014, 21:36   #7015
BHPian

You see bad drivers every day and you kind of shake your head and move on. Point is this is a thread where a whole lot of discussion is done and nothing is done about the thread which is under discussion! Gossip is India's favourite pass time!
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 10:46   #7016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post

This is quite common on bangalore roads. My take is if the parents are least bothered about the consequences of driving the car with the kid on the the driver's lap, why should the traffic police worry. I would call them irresponsible parents.
Old 1st December 2014, 16:57   #7017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
if the parents are least bothered about the consequences of driving the car with the kid on the the driver's lap, why should the traffic police worry
Because they pose a danger to other fellow motorists? A guy with a kid between him and the steering wheel can get distracted at any time. This irresponsible person may be causing injury or death to another person and the child for no fault of the victims.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:28   #7018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A guy with a kid between him and the steering wheel can get distracted at any time.
The child could grab the wheel anytime, especially if they are spooked by something. It would probably happen at the very worst time.
Old 2nd December 2014, 02:36   #7019
Senior - BHPian

Self Appraisal - Got challaned for 300 bucks in a one-way bylane in Hassan.

I had been on a family trip to Hassan, Belur, Halibeedu.
The hotel I was staying was in one of the bylanes of the main road.
I switched on Google maps to go to Belur. Maps showed correct way. I tried being the intelligent one, and drove in the opposite direction to the main road, thinking that Maps was not getting signal to show correct route to main road. Maps was not re-routing, but asking to take a U-Turn.
I went 200 mts, and a Tata Winger with Interceptor written all over pulled up in front of me, announcing something in the mike !! Just like US Style !!
I pulled over and asked what happened. He said one-way sir, pay fine. I apologized for being a novice to Hassan and wanted them to forgive me.
They said 300 fine. I said sorry three times, and they said give 100.
I said take 300 and give me receipt. Paid up, took U-Turn and followed Google.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:38   #7020
BHPian

Had taken this photo some time back on my trip to Yercaud. Potential cause of accident! Luckily nothing happened though.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc_0127.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks