Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2015, 23:21   #7756
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

After I purchased the dashcam, I've been able to record bad drivinghabits of people on the road. Also toa certain extent, I'm mindful of my driving.

The above video was recorded on my dashcam yesterday.

1. Starting from 00m:04s in the video, I had a Government Corolla Honking excessively trying to push his way through the traffic. He was doing it from quite a distance to other vehicles and finally came behind me at the time of this video. He finally overtook me at 00m:50s

2. I had to take a Right turn so I was in the right lane and also because this road is usually with parked vehicles or carts or pedestrians and everything you can think of.
At 00:36 you can hear my horn in between that f the corolla's. I honked to ask the scooty riding person for way.
At 00m:40s you can see the person riding the Scooty waved her left hand indicating me to overtake from the left.
I could see from the attire that it was a lady advocate. When the law protectors do not know the rules, how can we expect law and order.
A very good example of a bad driver.
I could understand if she also was intending to turn right at the next median break like me. But you can see in 00m:50s that she went straight ahead when I put on the indicator and turned right.

PS: off-topic but The video from the dashcam is scary sometimes. In real what we feel is a decent gap and easy manoeuvre, looks very close and fast on the Dashcam. When I saw the first video of my dashcam, I was shocked.
Does anyone else feel the same or am I the only one?
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:52   #7757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
...you can see the person riding the Scooty waved her left hand indicating me to overtake from the left.
Happens all the time - the rider needs to worry only about vehicles on only one side; if they were to ride along the left side, they're exposed to other vehicles that merge onto the road unexpectedly, similar 2-wheelers and ricks that'd come in the wrong direction, etc. See, it's "relatively safer" for them, and what rules!
Quote:
off-topic but The video from the dashcam is scary sometimes. In real what we feel is a decent gap and easy manoeuvre, looks very close and fast on the Dashcam. When I saw the first video of my dashcam, I was shocked.
Does anyone else feel the same or am I the only one?
I get the same feel from my dash-cam videos. But the speed indication on the corner would tell me that it's only an illusion

Last edited by silversteed : 2nd September 2015 at 08:55. Reason: Adding sarcasm... [|||||||||||||||] 100%
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:55   #7758
BHPian

This one is very common in Delhi/NCR: there's slow moving traffic on one side of the divider, so some guy thinks "Oh, I'll just go on to the other side. After all, why should there be any oncoming traffic from the other side, right?"

Also notice the folded OVRMs.

Like so:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20150712-13.06.27.jpg
Tanmay K is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 15:32   #7759
BHPian

Does not really matter on what speed or how cautious you drive. There will always be that one (atleast) person who wants to put you at stake!

Old 4th September 2015, 06:03   #7760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
OT. Came across this video online. Couldn't help sharing. What a nut case!!
ps- is it a Fortuner?
Damn! Gave me goosebumps on watching this video. He has made driving look like a video game. One small blunder could have resulted in a big mishap. Sad to see people on road risking others lives. Certainly he deserves to be in this thread.
Old 4th September 2015, 08:40   #7761
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
ps- is it a Fortuner?
It is an XUV. Fortuner has a hood scoop. When ever I am at the outskirts of a big city [Delhi/Bombay/Calcutta] I have sen drivers like these, either entering the city or just exiting. Weaving through traffic, cutting lanes.
Old 4th September 2015, 08:54   #7762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
This one is very common in Delhi/NCR: there's slow moving traffic on one side of the divider, so some guy thinks "Oh, I'll just go on to the other side. After all, why should there be any oncoming traffic from the other side, right?"

Also notice the folded OVRMs.

Like so:
That's a daily occurrence on nh24. Extremely idiotic behavior. He's in incoming traffic, what does he need rear vision for?
Brilliant how he's being made to reverse.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 11:46   #7763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Does not really matter on what speed or how cautious you drive. There will always be that one (atleast) person who wants to put you at stake!
That divider is like a security blanket for the two wheeler rider. He must get there at any cost!

Btb such a wide road and no lane markers?
Old 5th September 2015, 18:13   #7764
Senior - BHPian

Sort of OT but the shocking reason for why Chinese drivers in a hit and run prefer to kill the victim - including by reversing onto the fallen person's head to make 100% sure.

Apparently if the victim is only injured or worse maimed for life they have to pay all the hospital bills and medical care even over several years - and if the guy dies they only have to pay for the funeral and some minor amount in compensation. Besides that the standard excuse is they thought they were driving over a garbage bag it seems.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...t_china_s.html
Old 5th September 2015, 19:10   #7765
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually... Insurance companies recognise that death is cheaper than major injury.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 20:52   #7766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ps- is it a Fortuner?

http://https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=i7SYckDvmXI
Just saw the video. What a complete moron. I am sure sooner or later he is gonna get into a nasty accident with his Lane cutting habit and over speeding on a busy road.
Old 5th September 2015, 21:13   #7767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
That driving style is what causes most of the traffic jams in the NCR region during peak office hours. From my dining room window I see a major intersection (GGN). Many times, I have seen traffic snarls there: lasting up to 4-5 hours. If the traffic signal is not working, then it is open game. People do what ever they want. Also a new trend I have seen: people when they drive wrong side along the median, usually drive faster (since the road is empty) and never give any warning (headlight flash) to the traffic approaching them head on...! They assume this is the actual "way". It is an extremely selfish and foolhardy approach to life.

Primarily, most of the hazardous "skills" we see on our roads are a compendium of: no value of life (self and others), rash behavior, self-centric attitude, and just being boorish and brash. This is getting magnified manifold YoY, as the vehicle density increases and the infrastructure development fails to match this rate, with people having less time on hand (read: erroneous planning of ones life style).
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 08:37   #7768
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Sort of OT but the shocking reason for why Chinese drivers in a hit and run prefer to kill the victim - including by reversing onto the fallen person's head to make 100% sure.
Have heard the same for Nepal as well, citing the same reason. But haven't checked upon its authenticity.

Needless to say, don't really look forward to driving in Nepal, especially with that extremely chaotic border crossing.
Old 6th September 2015, 13:50   #7769
BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1441527564.268100.jpg
Chatting in the middle of the road, don't care for the traffic!
Old 9th September 2015, 14:50   #7770
BHPian

This is well beyond being just a bad driver.
This guy driving the car carrier decided he's done following the truck in front of him and this is what he did.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1441790410286.jpg

Guess what? He managed to push that oncoming truck out of the road and completed his overtake manoeuvre.

Place: Coimbatore L&T Bypass
saadat1992 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks