Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 21:03   #7651
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Mate, Money has become the order of the day so much that even the safety of school kids is at stake. Unfortunately we the working men/couple have no choice.
Some times I do feel that the money we make today (which is much more higher than what our parents would have earned in 1970s and 1980s) have brought in any better quality of life? In cities like Bengaluru every basic aspect of life (home, schooling etc.) are now a huge money making racket. People do not have much choice here. In fact I am waiting to see a person having a career in Bangalore, happily saying that he had made some decent savings/fortune here.
Old 8th July 2015, 21:07   #7652

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Top Ten signs of a dangerous driver
What else can you guys add ?
Dangerous driver:
1. Constant braking while driving
2. Driving in between lanes on a highway in slow speeds.
3. Overtaking from left
4. Seat almost touching steering wheel

Last edited by ampere : 8th July 2015 at 21:14. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 9th July 2015, 09:40   #7653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinayism View Post
3. Overtaking from left
Though I heartily agree to this, I still beg to differ when it comes to practical situation on our highways. Most of the slow-moving traffic sticks to the right-most lane and you have got absolutely no choice but to overtake them from the left I bet you've faced this problem yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinayism View Post
4. Seat almost touching steering wheel
This is one category while the other category is with people who have the seats pushed back way too far. Wonder how the drivers could even reach the a/b/c (or should I say c/b/a in the order we see them ) controls or the steering wheel
Old 9th July 2015, 09:43   #7654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
1)
3) This one is classic. "My choice" parking. And there was nothing blocking.
Solution - Reverse fold the car's left side ORVM (I hope i10 has that) ! Driver should be scared that something bumped into his mirror.
Incase the driver uses that mirror, next time he would be careful about parking.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 09:59   #7655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
Though I heartily agree to this, I still beg to differ when it comes to practical situation on our highways. Most of the slow-moving traffic sticks to the right-most lane and you have got absolutely no choice but to overtake them from the left I bet you've faced this problem yourself

This is one category while the other category is with people who have the seats pushed back way too far. Wonder how the drivers could even reach the a/b/c (or should I say c/b/a in the order we see them ) controls or the steering wheel
I drive my Santro sitting close to the steering wheel. Of course I am belted the moment i get into the car. I know this is a pretty dangerous scenario but this cannot come under the category of a bad driver.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 10:16   #7656
BHPian

A comfortable driving position that allows for access to / efficient handling of all driver controls, ensures visibility (including the adjustment of mirrors and levelling of headlamps), and reduces driver fatigue / strain is vital. Each driver has his personal adjustments and they should be made according to the basics above. City, Highway and Hill driving adjustments differ. Its the knowledge of what you need to adjust under which situation is the issue. Safety, and adherence to driving ethics is the code.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 10:48   #7657
BHPian

Suresh
Generally speaking the more close you sit to the steering wheel your visibility reduces quite significantly. That is IMHO. However that alone does not qualify to be a bad driver.:thumbup:
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 11:39   #7658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I drive my Santro sitting close to the steering wheel. Of course I am belted the moment i get into the car. I know this is a pretty dangerous scenario but this cannot come under the category of a bad driver.
Agreed. It purely depends on how you are built. For example, You may be tall, but thin, it's perfectly fine to be close to the steering wheel as long as you have perfect control over the steering wheel along with all other controls in a way where you can avoid fatigue from driving. But I've seen heavily built guys ("read : my kinds", PS: Only the build part, not driving position) sitting extremely close to the wheel where their tummy along with their hands do the driving. I still remember one cab driver using his phone with both hands while his tummy was ensuring the car goes straight (Sorry, no pics. It happened during my college days 2008/09. The time when I did not even have a phone, forget smartphones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Suresh
Generally speaking the more close you sit to the steering wheel your visibility reduces quite significantly. That is IMHO. However that alone does not qualify to be a bad driver
But again, if either the controls are out of reach or if the driving position is causing fatigue, it might end up leading to bad-driving-habits and in turn, a bad driver
vnidta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 21:02   #7659
BHPian

I have seen many people hold the phone in hand and on speaker whilst driving and shockingly most of them are driving mid segment drives and or either very well dressed. Erudite in bad drving I guess.

Few other things that I noticed to earmark a bad driver or driving is the way a turn is taken something that definitely makes a big difference in driving skills. The bad ones never turn perpendicular but theyvtend to go alongside the turn whilst turning right especially.
The bad guys never bother to dim the headlights ehen they want tocturn as the indicator flash may not be visible in the glare they throw.
Old 10th July 2015, 08:17   #7660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
I have seen many people hold the phone in hand and on speaker whilst driving and shockingly most of them are driving mid segment drives and or either very well dressed. Erudite in bad drving I guess.

Few other things that I noticed to earmark a bad driver or driving is the way a turn is taken something that definitely makes a big difference in driving skills. The bad ones never turn perpendicular but theyvtend to go alongside the turn whilst turning right especially.
The bad guys never bother to dim the headlights ehen they want tocturn as the indicator flash may not be visible in the glare they throw.
In addition to what you have mentioned, i spotted a 2 wheeler guy sometime back who took his own sweet time to get going at the signal. The reason being he was going through the messages in his mobile.
Despite repeated honking, this guy looks behind as though the road belongs to him. I gestured him to go to the side so that others can move.
Finally this moron agreed. What do you have to say about this??
Old 12th July 2015, 08:49   #7661
Team-BHP Support

Last night at Phoenix, Lower Parel.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1436670930241.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 12th July 2015 at 08:50.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 09:04   #7662
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly a bad driver but spotted this clown in Bandipur yesterday. This was a moving vehicle and not stationary, which prompted me to post a photo

Name:  ForumRunner_20150712_090422.png
Views: 1726
Size:  532.7 KB
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 09:15   #7663
Senior - BHPian

Bad driver/nutcase alert:
1) Sits too close to the steering wheel
2) Peers owlishly, in a short sighted way from the windscreen, as if, given a choice he would rather sit on the bonnet and drive
3) Drives extremely slowly, in between lanes or sticks to the fast lane at 50kmph
4) Cuts across lanes, without ever giving an indicator, else switches on his indicator and promptly cuts across lane, without ever looking at his wing or rear view mirror
5) Hard acceleration and harder braking, sometimes brakes for no reason, say because he drove over a road undulation
6) Drives without using seat-belts
7) Drives with children in the front seat, children on his lap.
8) Drives with mobile phone stuck to his ear, worse drives with mobile on his lap, looking down and scrolling through messages
9) Drives on the wrong side of the road
10) Drives drunk, or rather drives willingly after consuming alcohol.
11) Drives without license, without PUC, without insurance etc, knowingly, trying to avoid cops.
12) Teaches his wife, kids how to drive, on public roads, in middle of traffic.
13) Drives his public transport bus, truck as if he is the king of the road
14) Displays and generates road rage

Please add on....
Old 12th July 2015, 11:03   #7664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Not exactly a bad driver but spotted this clown in Bandipur yesterday. This was a moving vehicle and not stationary, which prompted me to post a photo

Attachment 1391131
Thats a bad driver and a really bad passenger. Irrespective of vehicle being stationary or moving. Had the vehicle been stationary, the driver would have broken law ; stopping inside national forests for taking photos is prohibited. Moreover, I am pained to see T-BHP stickers on that car.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 12th July 2015 at 11:05.
Old 12th July 2015, 15:52   #7665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
That's a fake sticker.
Thankfully, yeah?

Most Viewed