Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2015, 10:02   #7786
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Anybody heard of this, "gang of dusters"?
I am generalizing based on 2 such dusters I have seen with this sticker, but both were very bad drivers, so generalization stands. One on noida link road, and one this morning on NH24. The most irritating behaviour, switching lanes repeatedly in a massive traffic snafu!
And the other was just generally being a bully behind an eon, till the smaller car pulled right out of its lane to let him move 10 feet ahead.
Old 17th September 2015, 11:22   #7787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hooting at us to get out of the way when they are driving the wrong way on a one-way street.
I always wimp out and give way on these days to these chaps. They're often part of whichever religious community (including mine) that is celebrating that day; they are often not celebrating the spirit of the actual festival, and are instead celebrating based on the spirits they've imbibed. Do I want to get into any manner of argument with them? No, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I am generalizing based on 2 such dusters I have seen with this sticker, but both were very bad drivers
Maybe they've taken the acronym to heart, and think they're gods of the road.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 13:11   #7788
BHPian

Speaking of angrily honking cars, one thing comes to mind. I mostly see(in Mumbai ) that there are these pathetically driving morons or may we say snails on the road who hog up a whole lane, mostly the right lane or middle lane and keep driving at what they apparently think is break-neck speeds of about 10 to 30kph and are blissfully unaware of people who might really have to go somewhere and have work to do or maybe an emergency or something, hence blocking the other drivers path like it's their birthright. Most of them think their phone is the most important thing on the planet so to hell with other drivers, or chatting up their babes or some other idiotic reason. So infuriating. And in today's times of ever increasing traffic snarls these people really contribute to building up traffic everywhere big time. One such moron creates a back log of at least ten cars behind him/her within seconds. Think of what 10 or 20 of these super drivers could do to a city! And I bet every metro has hundreds of these species. I personally think these guys contribute to at least 50% of all traffic mess at any given point of time. Even a saint would have a bout of road rage on encountering one of them. In times when road space is becoming lesser as to number of cars, leaving a mile of empty road in front of you while creating a jam behind you at the same time is a pretty lame and inefficient way to drive, I think. Apparently giving way to someone who needs to go faster than you seems to be an ego issue in our beloved country. I think these road blocks are worse than the other "bad drivers" we are discussing mostly here and are themselves BAD DRIVERS in every right too. PLEASE GIVE WAY MAN!! Oh, and I'm not one of the honkers by the way.
Old 17th September 2015, 14:30   #7789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I always wimp out and give way on these days to these chaps. ...
Well, of course, so do I. There really is not much else one can do, except complain to self, wife, and fellow T-BHPians!

Even if they never remember it themselves, I try never to forget that bikers are so extremely vulnerable and a small incident can lead to a big injury. I have no wish to do any point making that leads to such an event, or to be the cause of the biker dashing into a pedestrian.

Which reminds me: the death of a neighbour, run down by two speeding bikers who then ran away, has made me think twice about my behaviour as a pedestrian too. It is one thing to take one's rightful space, but another to die for it, and I don't want to.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 09:56   #7790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I am generalizing based on 2 such dusters I have seen with this sticker, but both were very bad drivers, so generalization stands.
Hi Mayank,

Gang of Dusters is an initiative by Renault itself(http://www.gangofdusters.com/), similar to Safari Owners United League(SOUL). However, it's unfortunate that you've come across 2 such owners, both having this sticker. From what I've heard, it's a good community & active community of Duster owners who have planned drives & events together. Generalizing that equivalent to bad drives, would be the same as a few bad eggs driving rashly with Team-BHP stickers.

Just my 2 cents. No offense intended.

Regards,
Rohan

Last edited by rohansachar : 18th September 2015 at 09:56. Reason: Adding URL
rohansachar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 11:29   #7791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
CTM, CRM, CNM, CMM are all old series registration marks given to vehicles registered around the Mysore area between 1980 and 1990.
I beleive the MY series also correspond to Mysore area between 1980-90. I have an RD which started life in Mysore in 1984, with LTT paid in Mandya and it has a MYN registration.
Old 18th September 2015, 15:04   #7792
Distinguished - BHPian

Instead of my usual tirade against bikers, I have to admit that they are not all bad!

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a biker waiting to turn right across me. There was also a couple of children on a pedal cycle. Hey, it does no harm, once in a while (whatever the idiot behind may think), to give way, right? So I slowed to do so. What was nice was that the biker did not just roar off, but signalled to the children to cross with him, and gave them protection.

There are good drivers on the road. My wife was having a go at me for my "battles." I told her that she simply does not notice the dozens of people that I give way to, or that give way to me. In fact even I do not notice the hundreds of road users that don't give any reason to be noticed. Good driving is invisible!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 15:39   #7793
BHPian

Some days back while driving, i nearly had an accident. A biker with kid just crossed the road without even looking.

I viewed this video a couple of times to see if I made any mistake or was there anything wrong with my judgement. Though nothing happened, I feel I could have even avoided such braking situation had I anticipated that such biker will cross and stopped beforehand to let the biker cross. Any pointers?
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 17:29   #7794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Some days back while driving, i nearly had an accident. A biker with kid just crossed the road without even looking.

I viewed this video a couple of times to see if I made any mistake or was there anything wrong with my judgement. Though nothing happened, I feel I could have even avoided such braking situation had I anticipated that such biker will cross and stopped beforehand to let the biker cross. Any pointers?
Yes, it happens all the time to me. What I learned though is to anticipate the worst whenever I notice lateral movement of traffic, especially two wheelers and adjust my pace accordingly.

My guess is two wheeler drivers who are never behind a steering wheel can't understand the dynamics of a bigger vehicle and think they can fit in and slip through gaps, much to their own and others' endangerment.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th September 2015 at 10:28. Reason: Removing video from quoted post.
Old 18th September 2015, 18:33   #7795
BHPian

add to the fact that traditionally two wheeler drivers get "Sympathy" from public so they love to do such stunts thinking they would always get "justice"

At least in this case the kid is slightly older. I keep seeing people with infants doing stunts on the road !
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 10:17   #7796
BHPian

Bad parking sense = Bad driver. In this case, the Dzire guy parked cms away from my alto :banghead:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1442724362890.jpg
Old 20th September 2015, 14:51   #7797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Not necessarily.

Toyota and Maruti cabbies are no different.

Absolutely!! The two most common are engaging in rash driving atleast in highways in tamilnadu are
1. Toyota innova
2. Suzuki swift & dzire.
I still couldn't fathom what gives these drivers to race and do silly speeds given their puny paper figures in performance !!!!Their brakes and handling dynamics are that accomplished too!!
Old 20th September 2015, 21:34   #7798
Senior - BHPian

Here's a wannabe Hamilton, driving a red Polo on ORR. With the way this 'kewl dude' was driving, I almost had the thought of calling BTP. First he almost took my rear bumper, then it was an Innova, followed by a Figo. Here it is, for your eyes only:

The car is registered to Adobe Software. Makes it easy to find out who this budding racer is

Last edited by silversteed : 20th September 2015 at 21:37.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 22:14   #7799
BHPian

Quote:
Any pointers?
I follow the philosophy of "whether the rose falls on the thorn or thorn falls on the rose, the damage is for the rose".

Be super defensive and prepare for being blasted by high decibel horns.

Has anyone got gyan from a two wheeler guy as this "you have four wheels and can stop better than me"?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st September 2015 at 00:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30-min window to add content to your post.
Old 20th September 2015, 22:41   #7800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would have slowed down.

Hate to say this (esp as a biker myself) but most bikers in semi-rural areas are sort of like Salman Khan. Once they decide to move, they don't even listen to themselves !

This biker had already intruded fully into the intersection - he was committed to go. It is quite silly but he was looking into the traffic on his RHS and didnt even notice you (or got blindsided by the enjoy that just passed) or assumed he has zero width.

Regardless, if I was in your place, and this is what I saw, I would have slowed down or slammed the brakes.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-biker.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 21st September 2015 at 12:19. Reason: Removed Video link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks