Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2016, 12:41   #8536
Senior - BHPian

Check the second half of this video. Dude carries on zigzagging through traffic, broke the signal and rode on.
sajo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 15:53   #8537
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Speaking of stunt bikers, this one takes the cake. Please do excuse the poor video quality.

Another thing which irritates me- driving with hazard lights on when there is no need for it.
ankurchaturvedi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 21:52   #8538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
What is indeed surprising is the fact that most of the offenders realised their mistakes and were not getting into any arguments to prove their prowess in the battle!
While we all love the vigilante, I feel these actions will go for nought in the end. If we had a rear view of the scene there I bet they'd have gone to the correct lane just because he was blocking them only to converge with the other vehicles in the wrong lane as soon as they pass him.

There are always procedures to things, I'm really not trying to give the wrong idea here, I hate lane hogging and violations more than perhaps anybody but the implementation has to be done by the cops and the cops only. This man is powerless, can neither write a ticket nor can "cancel" a license as he keeps threatening to do.

I also saw a distinct pick-&-choose style in him... he chose the weaker ones to abuse and flew straight past the big ones. Delhi isn't the place to go needling motorists.. if one of them big enough was stopped by him all he'll do is park the bike, take off his helmet and ask "kya kar lega?" possibly accompanied by a trademark Dilli profanity. What would this guy do then? Wrestle on the streets? Women in Delhi are scared enough in the evening.. everyone were following the (illegal) flow of traffic after all and so were the women in the car and he flew off the handle on them big time

Each and every one of those lane violators were at fault.. they deserve to get tickets and a strong reprimand by a legal authority. Definitely not by an attention-seeking vigilante.

BTW maybe my threshold for road idiocy is expanding by the day.. if this guy comes to Bangalore his head will explode in less than 1 minute.

Last edited by dark.knight : 19th July 2016 at 21:54.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 23:21   #8539
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if a cyclist would qualify for this thread, But well here it goes, I was driving at night around 11 at BKC, It was raining cats and dogs with visibility being very very poor, I was driving around 40-50 kph only in the first lane and i was shocked to see a a guy wearing complete black clothes on a cycle with no reflector at all riding in the first lane, It was impossible to see him! I honked and flashed, He din't budge, I couldn't brake hard as i was sure the car behind me won't be able to brake on time, I had to change lanes and had to gulp in huge amount of anger.

Oh God please keep pouring patience and the ability to gulp in as much as anger possible, Because i just can't go around beating such people up.
Old 20th July 2016, 08:08   #8540
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if this qualifies in Bad driver list or the worst.

While driving to office today morning, wad doing 60-65 speeds in the middle lane, a Linea overtakes and plonks himself in the middle lane. The car suddenly slows down to 30 speeds and I do so similarly. Now this chap keeps stalling my bid to change lanes. I move towards right most lane, he moves and slows in front of me. I move to middle lane, he does the same. I flashed, honked but the driver was not budging at all. Later some sense prevailed and he let me pass by. I happened to look at the driver, middle aged guy lowered the window and kept staring at me as if he was preparing to ram into my car. I kept calms and kept driving in the right most lane. All this happened on the Eastern express highway from Kanjur village till the turn to JVLR.

What goes into such driver's mind? They are a great danger on the road to themselves and others.
Old 20th July 2016, 08:22   #8541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Don't know if this qualifies in Bad driver list or the worst.

While driving to office today morning, wad doing 60-65 speeds in the middle lane, a Linea overtakes and plonks himself in the middle lane. The car suddenly slows down to 30 speeds and I do so similarly. Now this chap keeps stalling my bid to change lanes. I move towards right most lane, he moves and slows in front of me. I move to middle lane, he does the same. I flashed, honked but the driver was not budging at all. Later some sense prevailed and he let me pass by. I happened to look at the driver, middle aged guy lowered the window and kept staring at me as if he was preparing to ram into my car. I kept calms and kept driving in the right most lane. All this happened on the Eastern express highway from Kanjur village till the turn to JVLR.

What goes into such driver's mind? They are a great danger on the road to themselves and others.
May be he was trying to muscle your Punto or teach you an ego lesson. There are too many such morons on the roads. Wealth and education does not give them common sense, so expecting road sense is our fault.
Old 20th July 2016, 08:48   #8542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
3) To add to the misery, i see enthusiastic runners (both men and women) using the Gachibowli entrance of the ORR for their morning jogs. This ORR does not have a foot path and vehicles generally go at high speed (120kmph is the legal limit on this road)I know stupidity has no cure but isnt it so dangerous ? Most of them wear branded sportswear etc (so well aware of brands) but does not have basic awareness on safety ? There is a police station nearby but don't think anyone bothers !
Don't worry about people on the ORR. It is a tolled access controlled road, so in case someone hits a man or an animal, its the road operator/government's fault. In-fact the driver can sue the authorities in court for not providing adequate service. My SOP on the ORR is simple. I will try and stop/brake to avoid a moron jaywalking on the road, but not try dangerous stunts like swerving or lane cutting.

About people jogging on service roads, its their downfall. The same educated set will not jog next to the I95 in US, but will think the ORR and its service roads are jogging tracks. Also these morons carry their wallets, expensive running gear, smartphones and smart watches when jogging, all at 3/4 am in the morning. Pretty soon one of them will be mugged, killed or raped then it will cause a headline and the same moronic set will lament about how India is unsafe and how they must move 'back' to the states

Last edited by apachelongbow : 20th July 2016 at 08:50.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 08:49   #8543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
May be he was trying to muscle your Punto or teach you an ego lesson. There are too many such morons on the roads. Wealth and education does not give them common sense, so expecting road sense is our fault.
Maybe Krishna. But I had done nothing to annoy him nor I know him. I could have zig zagged my way but had carpoolers with me. Could not put them at risk for my benefit/ego.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 14:35   #8544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Maybe Krishna. But I had done nothing to annoy him nor I know him. I could have zig zagged my way but had carpoolers with me. Could not put them at risk for my benefit/ego.
Some time back, I was watching a documentary on Nat Geo/Discovery on high security cars - all about bullet proof, bomb proof cars. This documentary had a section on security driving, and some amazing dash cam footage from Iraq.
One thing I remember from the section on driving, is the driver saying that the first rule of safe driving through conflict zones is to drive very fast, and consistently fast.

So, maybe today in India, on divided 4/6 lane highways, driving super fast and trying your very best to keep to insane speeds at any cost is considered "normal" behaviour. After all, aren't all roads now conflict zones - like Iraq was a few years back? The ones doing a steady 70-80kmph on a road with 80kmph posted speed limit are the idiots, who need to be "taught a lesson"!

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 20th July 2016 at 14:35. Reason: grammar
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 17:33   #8545
BHPian

This picture perfectly sums up the driving reality in our country...!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1469016218.877625.jpg
kiran_cr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 18:26   #8546
BHPian

1. Turn without indicator.
2. Using mobile phone while driving
3. Changing lane too often.
4. Driving in opposite direction just to save petrol worth 200 meters distance to avoid U-Turn.
5. Those who think that orange/amber light is as good as green and would put the theory of physics behind in their acceleration.
6. Delhi auto driver (i know its incorrect to be generic but unfortunately this is how i see the things)
7. One of the biggest threat to road sagety in a city like delhi are Gramin Sewa Auto and Saarthi battery operated rickshaw drivers.
dinesh6481 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 10:40   #8547
BHPian

Met this cutie pie today morning. He knows to smile after doing something wrong, like how kids do. He came on the wrong side, flashes his light thinking me and my car will be blown away (VW with laser enabled headlights, possible that the continuous flashing will help in clearing obstacles in front of you, like in James bond movies). He somehow managed to stop the car very close to my car's front bumper ! I only smiled, did not honk, did not bother for a conversation and acted as if i am not even bothered or giving him any attention. The vehicles behind me did the good job of honking loud, he realised that his headlights did not do the job today (blowing me off to the air !) so peacefully reversed and went away giving me a smile.

If you ever see this cutie pie, do give him a smile and he prefers greeting you by flashing headlights.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20160721_094646.jpg

There were many distinguished citizens of India who were on the wrong side, i gave the same treatment and realizing that they had no choices they moved away peacefully. Some of them did try their laser headlights but looks like bad day for all, their lights were not doing the intended job and had to be satisfied with my smile. One Sardar on a bullet was leading the pack of bikers on the wrong side, i just asked him "Paaji, aap bhi wrong side mein aate ho ? " He felt so apologetic, he was like "I am sorry yaar, i am sorry" ( I have a soft corner for the sardars so i generally try to friendly with them )

One White verna guy with an ID tag of very big MNC was on the wrong side behind the bikers gesturing me to give him way. I Stopped exactly in front of him and gave him a smile too. He reversed and peacefully went away ranting something, did not bother further.
sunishsamuel is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 12:23   #8548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose
I visited the traffic police station where I had the privilege of meeting the ACP! This was the Indira Nagar traffic police station. The ACP was more than helpful.
The ACP is indeed some body. Bangalore has around three Traffic Divisions (headed by a DCP - an SP rank officer). Traffic Police East division is one of the most important ones because of the area which it covers (Indira Nagar, KR Puram, Whitefield, Madivala, Electronics City etc.). And there are two ACPs for this traffic division. And you met one of them . That would have for sure made a difference at Bayyappanahalli Traffic PS etc. Most of these officers are also veterans of the force (promotees who started their careers as Sub Inspectors). Don't know about the current DCP, the person previous to him was actually a real veteran. He who retired holding an SP rank started off as a Sub Inspector in the city itself (way back in early 1980s).

Quote:
Within 15 minutes, I got a call from the police station that they'd nabbed the bike rider and the pillion.
That is real quick. Most likely they may be repeat offendors and known the police. It would take some time for the police to check the vehicle #, identify the owner, and fetch them. And the way the wifey off one of them also landed up at the police station makes me feel that this is not the first time the couple visited the police station. BTW, I tried to use the vehicle search facility, that web site does not work any more.
Old 21st July 2016, 13:57   #8549
Senior - BHPian

In the span of 30mins had to suffer 2 cop cars and 2 political cars and 1 government car. Needless honking. Stop for pedestrians at zebra crossing? HONK!

Stop for car to take a turn in front? HONK!

Signal counting down. Reach 5 Seconds? HONK!

So irritating! Need to get a rear dash cam now
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 18:43   #8550
Senior - BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

The police officers were able to extract the vehicle information based on the bike registration details, hence they were quick.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks