Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 13:23   #8641
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I believe this is a Cisco bus. Driving on the wrong side of the road to cross the signal. Spotted at HSR BDA complex signal, 08:50ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Need not be Cisco..
It is indeed a Cisco bus. I'd not seen this post so far, sorry for digging up an old post.

IronH4WK, do you still see this bus up to the same antics ? Let me know or post a recent violation pic / video, I will take it up with the transport folks here.
Old 25th August 2016, 14:47   #8642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Spotted a White Swift with 'L' sticker being driven by a lady today. There was a male co-passenger and a baby as well in the car. It was a bumper to bumper traffic situation. As soon as the traffic stops the baby was getting handed over to the lady. As the traffic starts the baby was handed back to the man. She was slowing the lane even more as she was a newbie driver (could understand from the number of jerks the car was having) and by her circus with the baby. She was also trying to frantically change lanes frequently.

Well, this was dangerous for them as well as other people on the road. Lost her as soon as possible.
Any chance that you spotted them in Hosur road / electronic city area?

About a month ago, there was a white swift with a lady driver, behind my car. Both of us were stuck in a standstill traffic jam in the service road. I could see ahead that lanes in both directions had cars in wrong lanes, face-to-face. The lady was honking and wanted me to jump on to the opposite lane and go ahead, add to the jam. I gestured to her that it was completely blocked ahead. As soon as the vehicles inched ahead, she swerved to the opposite lane and went ahead. Later when I caught up with them, I could see a man with a baby on his lap, sitting in the rear and an elderly lady as co-passenger. The driver's attention was split between the road and the crying baby, and she looked really worried looking forward on minute and backward at the baby in the next.

What I failed to understand is if they know that the baby needs the mother and the man cannot drive, what stops them from hiring a cab?
Horizon81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 14:49   #8643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Any chance that you spotted them in Hosur road / electronic city area?

About a month ago, there was a white swift with a lady driver, behind my car. Both of us were stuck in a standstill traffic jam in the service road. I could see ahead that lanes in both directions had cars in wrong lanes, face-to-face. The lady was honking and wanted me to jump on to the opposite lane and go ahead, add to the jam. I gestured to her that it was completely blocked ahead. As soon as the vehicles inched ahead, she swerved to the opposite lane and went ahead. Later when I caught up with them, I could see a man with a baby on his lap, sitting in the rear and an elderly lady as co-passenger. The driver's attention was split between the road and the crying baby, and she looked really worried looking forward on minute and backward at the baby in the next.

What I failed to understand is if they know that the baby needs the mother and the man cannot drive, what stops them from hiring a cab?
Spotted them on Whitefield main road during peak hour morning traffic.

I had the same thoughts as yours.
sidzz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 15:21   #8644
Distinguished - BHPian

Guy's, please pay less attention to the gender of the drivers!

However, where mothers and their babies and children are concerned, I am more inclined to think it fair comment. I expect many of the guys to drive badly; the women can hardly be expected to do much better because they men taught them, but when I see a woman rider or driver putting her children at risk, I can't help thinking that that goes against nature as well as intelligence. OK, I see men putting the whole family at risk far more often, but, somehow, it hurts more to see the ladies doing it.

But I suppose I'm just being sexist. Women have as much right to kill the family as men do
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 15:41   #8645
BHPian

I did not think i will be posting again so soon, but while walking on the footpath today, i saw a biker riding on it. I stop and confront these morons, but today i was in a hurry and stepped aside, but i don't know what happened after that, maybe he misjudged the distance and his rear wheel (or i guess i part of it), went over my foot. I always wear shoes and that prevented further injury. When i got home, i am now seeing that my foot is swollen and it is painful.
Old 25th August 2016, 21:54   #8646
Senior - BHPian

Ankur next time you come across a footpath rider make a crazy face and yell at him "This. Is. FOOTPAAATH !!" and proceed to kick him as he passes by !

Sorry couldnt resist. Thats a reference to the movie 300for those who dont know.
Ive thought of doing this myself to wrong way riders on a one way road I have to cross near my office.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 22:57   #8647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It occurred to me later that there is perhaps only thing that a woman driver might do that a dozen men on the same street won't be doing too: breast-feeding behind the wheel.

Old 25th August 2016, 23:52   #8648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Political correctness is fine and I'm all for it, its as well logical given that any and most drivers make mistakes, hence blaming a particular gender will not be of much use at all.

However I don't think fellow members sidzz and Horizon81 meant it in that fashion at all, given what they've written, they've referred to the driver in question by using the terms "lady" or "her". There is no other way to refer to the driver, if it were a man I'd have to write "man" or "guy" or "he", likewise in this case a female driver was referred to appropriately. Also I guess humankind goes by averages or common sights and here since female drivers are a minority (20% shall we say or is that also high?), they're referenced to show that it wasn't all a common sight. Likewise I've heard people say "male air-hostess" which isn't even grammatically accurate (steward?) but they're affixing the male word to a commonly used female job profile to indicate the difference from the normally expected sight.

I didn't clear my first driving test when I was 19, I was taught by an immature person who only told me about the physical aspects of driving - push the clutch, the gear and then the accelerator - I didn't get it, it wasn't fun and I wanted to give up when the inspector gently said "you need more time to learn" and failed me on a simple drive-around test and rightly so. The next person who came to teach me driving taught me very strictly and kept telling me to focus on the car, to analyse the car, to feel the clutch, respond to engine noises and analyse every degree of turn the vehicle makes. I used this concept and perfected the skill thoroughly, I understood how the car makes noises/responds to my inputs and tweaked them accordingly and he'd even talk loudly and make empty conversations just so that I understand that too much focus on driving isn't needed either.. I just have to make it an instinct, a nature. The 2nd time around I got one of the strictest inspectors in the team to supervise my test and he told me to take a full round and reverse parallel park the car into a tight space, I managed both with ease and he said "good" before getting out.

I feel that's what is missing in India, great teachers.. we need people with good intentions, people who brainwash the learning driver to obey rules, analyse the inputs and stay safe. It makes all the difference. Just teaching them to turn the wheel and push the accelerator will give birth to more and more drivers that we see around us today, swerving past us, breaking laws and inconveniencing everyone in their path.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 03:30   #8649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Political correctness is fine and I'm all for it, its as well logical given that any and most drivers make mistakes, hence blaming a particular gender will not be of much use at all.
I am utterly against political correctness: it means spouting that which one is mean to spout whilst going on thinking the same as before. Just like you say about driving, understanding is what is needed.
Quote:
However I don't think fellow members sidzz and Horizon81 meant it in that fashion at all, given what they've written,
Yes, and children were involved too. It may be very wrong of me, as I mentioned just now, to actually expect better of women when babies are involved, butI can certainly say I am regularly disappointed.

My crazy example: breastfeeding behind the wheel. I bet it happens!

Quote:
I feel that's what is missing in India, great teachers.. we need people with good intentions, people who brainwash the learning driver to obey rules, analyse the inputs and stay safe. It makes all the difference. Just teaching them to turn the wheel and push the accelerator will give birth to more and more drivers that we see around us today, swerving past us, breaking laws and inconveniencing everyone in their path.
I believe that some try. When I started driving here, I wanted the mandatory lessons, and the teacher at that school did seriously try to make people safer drivers. I can accept him as one of my driving gurus. The country does need more like him... and more learners who are prepared to listen too.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 10:03   #8650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guy's, ------SNIP------
It's quite "say what?" on this thread, which is full of incidences- 90% of which- are with a man. In that case it is the idiot, the moron, or the illiterate.
But one woman is all it takes to roll our eyes, "Oh, Lady driver....tsk tsk...". Extrapolation much?
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 11:19   #8651
BHPian

Quote:
I am utterly against political correctness: --SNIP--
Yes, and children were involved too. It may be very wrong of me, as I mentioned just now, to actually expect better of women when babies are involved, butI can certainly say I am regularly disappointed.
--SNIP--
Thank you. If I may speak for sidzz, neither of us were concerned about a 'lady' doing a mistake. Concern was that they were bad drivers who had better options available to them than to juggle driving along with caring for their children.

May be the universe is conspiring, I noted two bad riders since my post yesterday, both involving children:
1. A guy riding an activa, no helmet and a little girl (may be 4-5 years old) standing! on the rear seat, holding on to his shoulders. He was riding at a decent speed too.
2. A lady on a scooter again no helmet, two! kids between the handlebar and herself, two schoolbags on the rider's arm swinging around. She was taking a turn and wasn't able to control the scooter and it took the turn wide and was on to the opposite lane the next moment.

Both looked well educated, and I can't help but think it's not ignorance that makes them do these stunts. It must be the "It won't happen to me" thought at play here.
Old 26th August 2016, 12:13   #8652
Senior - BHPian

In addition to 'it won't happen to me' there are few more thoughts in play too:
- accidents happen only on highways.
- anything goes wrong, I will brake and stop.
- below 20 kmph speed traffic rules are not applicable and not required.
- I am going just HERE. So nothing will happen .
- Cops are resting on Sundays, so flout rules.
There are many more.!
Old 26th August 2016, 23:55   #8653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
But one woman is all it takes to roll our eyes, "Oh, Lady driver....tsk tsk...". Extrapolation much?
One woman was all it took to roll my eyes this evening: she was tailgaiting me like usually only minitruck drivers do. No extrapolation. Yes: it is the extrapolation and the generalising that is offensive. The reporting of the fact is simply that. Or should be: the tone of the post is what counts.
Old 27th August 2016, 15:03   #8654
BANNED

Look how this Cyclist almost crashed into Pedestrians crossing the road and a Lamborghini Huracan !

Old 27th August 2016, 15:55   #8655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
It is indeed a Cisco bus. I'd not seen this post so far, sorry for digging up an old post.

IronH4WK, do you still see this bus up to the same antics ? Let me know or post a recent violation pic / video, I will take it up with the transport folks here.

Yes, couple of times more I've seen it do it. Also witnessed some aggressive driving/bullying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks