Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:10   #1141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Exhaust_Note, very well-made points. You put it much better than I did when I tried, probably because you have more experience of the gender issue within this culture. Thanks for that post, it really was enlightening.
You are welcome Thad. I have been reading your posts and have adeveloped a respect for your views and principles.

Women in India (and other places too) have to fight a much harder battle to have an equal footing. As a consequence, liberalization resulted in venting the frustration, incorrectly at times. Hence you see three aspects of the Indian Woman - the Demure, the Strong and Progressive and the Over Confident-Under Dressed type, out to prove a point at all costs.

The other day, I was riding out from Pune to Navi Mumbai. After connecting to the Mumbai-Pune Bypass from Wakkad, a blue Baleno Weekender was hot on my tail. I was in the left-most lane, with 2 Ft on my left to spare and the traffic was just starting to sort itself. This guy started honking and almost ran me down. I showed and gave him the signal to pass......and then the "finger"! He zipped past, braked hard right in front of me and tried to press me out of the road. I, of cource was more than interested in stopping the bike and having a word with this idiot.
He walks out and asks me what I was doing?
Me: Trying to save my life...why?
He: Why did you show me the finger? Get down from the bike!
Me: You were trying to run me down.
He: Why did yo not give me space?
Me: My focus was on mt rear-view to escape you, how can I ride well when I cannot even look ahead?
He: Thinks for a few moments, realizes, walks back to his car and drives off....worse than before.

It is good it did not come to blows, else I had an helmet, hard knuckled gloves, jacket and Knee-Elbow armor on. He would not have a chance !!!!

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 3rd June 2010 at 14:22.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:01   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
It is good it did not come to blows, else I had an helmet, hard knuckled gloves, jacket and Knee-Elbow armor on. He would not have a chance !!!!
what are you, a samurai or something?

(no offense to Samurai-san)

OT:
can someone direct me to where i can get good protective riding gear?
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:10   #1143
BHPian

Nopes IronH . Thats the Motorcycle gear for highways.

But now after reading your comment, I can see how it might sound.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:10   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
OT:
can someone direct me to where i can get good protective riding gear?
See this post from bblost.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:32   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
See this post from bblost.
that one is in HYD. anything similar in BLR? don't want to end up buying the wrong size (has happened before)
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:49   #1146

IronH4WK try these links:

Linky 1
Linky 2

Both are equally good.
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:18   #1147
BHPian

Helmet, Gloves and Armor you cannot go wrong cause you can check them out actually. Jacket, I would suggest take a size or 2 larger than perfect fit. Especially if it is rain and winter usable.
Regarding location, been out of Bangy too long to even find my way around!!

Edit: Oh! you are looking for Online stores. Tried ebay.in? I have had good experience from purchasing stuff from there.

Guys any idea how is Periwinkle brand for rain-wear (biking)?

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 3rd June 2010 at 16:22.
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:10   #1148
Senior - BHPian

@Exhaust_Note, sbraj, autexy: thanks for the links and the advice. much appreciated.

@Mods: apologize for hijacking the thread temporarily

back to bad drivers - was on my way back from work this afternoon (around 1545hrs) and maintaining the speed limit of 80kmph on the BETL. many cars zipped past me (including M800s) and i gave them way. a little further (at the lay-bye) i saw an Interceptor parked and all of these who zipped past me parked in line along the lay-bye!

i laughed my heart out!!
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:53   #1149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
He: Thinks for a few moments, realizes, walks back to his car and drives off....worse than before.
Result! Nothing better than to make somebody think!

I remember being on the receiving end: having parked my car in a very busy car park, a guy strides up to me, "Don't you know you nearly caused an accident?". What really shocked me was that I didn't realise what I'd done --- profuse apologies were in order.

Thanks for your other comments. Did I mention the day I got myself a girl-friend after she heard me explaining a feminist book I'd just read.

Well... it was a long time ago, and way off topic --- so I won't.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:35   #1150
Senior - BHPian

these people just like to squeeze into every gap possible! if there isn't a gap, they'll make one!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_4981.jpg
Old 7th June 2010, 20:01   #1151
Senior - BHPian

What do you say about this, huh? The way the car was being driven, it seemed the little one was being taught how to be bad driver.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo.jpg
Old 7th June 2010, 20:10   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
What do you say about this, huh? The way the car was being driven, it seemed the little one was being taught how to be bad driver.
oh looky, no seat belt - ta da! God forbid if there is an accident, both of them will get crushed!
Old 8th June 2010, 00:37   #1153
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 363175
Am guilty of the same once. with my daughter @Kharghar.

The cops looked very confused and decided to chase me. Luckily a biker alerted me and my daughter was promptly sent to the rear bench. The cops went past me and stopped another Red wagon R carrying a family of three! (advantage of using one of the most common cars on the street) And that is "after" I had the Team-BHP stickers!

I know I was being very bad, that too with the stickers on. Never again.
Old 8th June 2010, 00:38   #1154
Distinguished - BHPian

Accident? It would only take an emergency stop to very much hurt, if not injure, that poor little one. That driver is both ignorant and completely lacking any imagination.

<crossposted>

Quote:
I know I was being very bad, that too with the stickers on. Never again.
You are far from alone: when people drive on bikes with children like this, how can we expect them not to do so in a car? Glad you realised and won't do it again: that's one safer child. Now... you have got her a proper child seat, yes? (If not, there's a thread about it...)

My father used to let me "drive" like that when I was four or five --- around fields. I'd have got a big telling off if I even touched the controls on the road --- and that was over fifty years ago.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th June 2010 at 00:43.
Old 8th June 2010, 01:24   #1155
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 363175
A chap I know lets his 8 yr old son 'drive' in this manner. To cut a long story short, one day the little devil saw an ice cream cart and wanted to stop. Dad refused so he grabbed the wheel and turned it with all his strength. Luckily no one was injured. The car still sports a dent across the length of the running board
And guess what. This moron still drives with his son on his lap holding the wheel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks