Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2015, 18:32   #7921
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Saw couple of 2 wheelers who stood out in my mind today:
1. Rider and pillion on a motorbike, both wearing helmets (these days even riders rarely wear helmets!) but the guy happily cut across a circle/roundabout without going around it!
2. Lady learning to ride a scooter - she wasn't wearing a helmet, but the guy helping her learn was riding pillion and wearing a helmet!

Selective safety mentality ?
Old 31st October 2015, 19:01   #7922
BHPian

Bikers-
1. Who, while riding, put their helmet in the RVM stalk instead of actually wearing the helmet.

2. The ones who have swapped the left and right RVM stalks - defying the very purpose of RVM (only purpose could be that they can see their hair-do whenever they want)

Drivers
1. Who drive with RVM closed
2. Who change lanes like opportunists and without lane change indications
3. Who occupy 1.5 car spots in a car parking
4. Who move to the wrong side at the railway level manned crossings - and also the ones who fall in line behind that.
5. Who, when facing road - breakdowns, don't keep any emergency/breakdown identifier for other drivers on road. (Of those who do- keeping the identifier just 2-3ft behind the car won't help.)
Old 1st November 2015, 11:02   #7923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is just a small honk to let them know that I am there. On narrow roads, I also pass by at very slow speed.
Man, I don't know how it is in chennai, but out here in Bangalore especially near colleges and tech parks, you need to have a train/Ship horn or something really loud. Many of the idiots will have earphones on and a soft honk will make absolutely no difference. Can't really understand why they have to wear the earphones and listen to music (or whatever) even when walking on the road/crossing/etc. Real menace both for the drivers as well as for them. Have seen some close misses happening in the hosur road stretch near bommanhalli, because of morons wearing earphones and crossing the road, oblivious of the honks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
(these days even riders rarely wear helmets!)
Most of the bike riders are wearing helmets - at least in bangalore, esp. on the main roads. What I heard is that from Nov 15th, even pillion riders will have to wear helmets. Cops will have a field day collecting fines

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitsinha0280 View Post
I had no option but to take a picture where his number plate was visible. You never know when these pics will become handy. I narrowly missed hitting him when suddenly he braked hard and stopped bang in the middle of the road.
Dear Sumit,

Appreciate your frankness in admitting that you were taking the pic when driving. One friendly piece of advice, IT IS NEVER WORTH the risk - esp. with these kind of morons. You yourself had a narrow escape because he braked suddenly. It's quite easy to have a messy situation for yourself because you were focusing on taking a photo of another offender!

Avoid!

Last edited by Aditya : 10th November 2015 at 17:30. Reason: Merging back to back posts
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 22:39   #7924
BHPian

Dear BHPian in a White Scorpio DL 6284/86 please refrain from bullying hatchbacks who are trying their best to give you way. You almost killed me and the innova ahead of me. Just because you drive an SUV doesn't mean you can't get hurt. Please be a little courteous and don't behave like a hooligan.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:10   #7925
Senior - BHPian

spotted this idiot on the way back from a breakfast ride yesterday morning. this fella and a half was riding dangerously, first around me, then the Busa in ahead of me (not in the picture; he's at my 7 o'clock) and then the FZ1 (i think) up front. the Busa rider and i let this nincompoop pass without reacting, but the FZ guy gunned and left him behind.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-trolling_a_yamaha.jpg

look at the angle at which he's taking a turn. if the body of the Activa touches the ground he's gonna lose control and we all know what happens next
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:45   #7926
BHPian

Want to bring another dimension to this thread.
I guess these "Bad drivers" we talk about and take photos, are not trained for that purpose. In some cases, these folks have learnt a good deal of driving in foreign countries, where they are taught about very good road manners.
When they arrive in India, they find that their education goes for a toss, and the locals try to re-educate the local rules, such as:
Rule no.1: Our Horn is our first level of safety. Use Horn as much as you can, more than A, B, C pedals.
Rule no.2: Forget lane rules. Roads can be considered as big playgrounds with barricades in between.
Rule no.3: Sometimes you need to intimidate to get your way. If you try to give way, everyone will take advantage, so you will spend more hours on road. Also, you will be intimidated by other faster folks.

Some questions based on this:
a) Who will you honk non-stop/intimidate, while driving?
(My favourite: Pedestrians, who walk side by side in an array, without giving a damn about the road)
b) While most time, you would try to follow the lane discipline, what would cause to break this and start criss-crossing or travel in two lanes?
c) Do you get to your workplace quickly by pushing ahead of others? Or, what are the problems you have faced by being a sedate driver?

Sometimes introspection can give an idea why Bad drivers exist, and probably we can make some changes on our own self.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 01:24   #7927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
One word to describe this TN driver?
Amazing!

I guess he was inspired by Mator. My speakers were not working so couldn't hear the audio. Was his forward gears jammed? What ever, he may have spent a good tube of volini gel or something to fix his neck the next day!

Last edited by bblost : 8th November 2015 at 20:49. Reason: Removed embedded video.
Old 8th November 2015, 19:00   #7928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
Amazing!

I guess he was inspired by Mator. My speakers were not working so couldn't hear the audio. Was his forward gears jammed? What ever, he may have spent a good tube of volini gel or something to fix his neck the next day!
Amazing in the sense he looked to be in complete control and was able to maintain decent speeds during reversing.
Reckless in the sense he was not worried that there is a possibility of hitting a pedestrian or he can be involved in collision with some other vehicle.
Try such acrobatics on a busy road is madness to say the least.
Old 8th November 2015, 19:06   #7929
Senior - BHPian

Amazing? Putting others' lives and property in danger to satisfy one's own weird desires is criminally insane.

Look how many times the Innova is close to brushing a vehicle coming from behind, or knocking off the duo on the motorcycle riding at the front. Sheer madness.
Old 8th November 2015, 20:39   #7930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
Amazing!...
Oops .. missed this video earlier!
Not sure its amazing as such, except possibly that 'amazing .. he didn't cause any accident'.
It might seem he was in good control, but a reversing vehicle like that could cause confusion to any one coming from other direction (more so if there is another such 'amazing' person driving).
Old 8th November 2015, 20:47   #7931
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Amazing in the sense he looked to be in complete control and was able to maintain decent speeds during reversing.
Reckless in the sense he was not worried that there is a possibility of hitting a pedestrian or he can be involved in collision with some other vehicle.
Try such acrobatics on a busy road is madness to say the least.
But he wasn't in complete control. He was relying on other people to get out of his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Look how many times the Innova is close to brushing a vehicle coming from behind, or knocking off the duo on the motorcycle riding at the front. Sheer madness.
Quite, although some of the bikers were even madder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Oops .. missed this video earlier!
Not sure its amazing as such, except possibly that 'amazing .. he didn't cause any accident'.
Quite.

There is nothing wrong with reversing, even for quite a long distance, except that it is stupid, because why not just turn around. It is how it is done that makes it right or wrong, which includes not just being able to go straight and steer (this is actually a basic driving skill) but also taking account of others.

In UK rules, one is not supposed to reverse in the face of oncoming traffic. One should stop and wait for a clear road.
Old 9th November 2015, 07:41   #7932
Senior - BHPian

Even in India it is prohibited very explicitly. But sadly people think that breaking the rules is the only way to prove they have - mmm..... - guts.
Old 9th November 2015, 08:27   #7933
BHPian

At times I wonder, why people gun down pronto through junctions. Specially if the junction is joining four roads and they are on the road which is wider. I have heard people say: that the connecting road traffic has to always mind the road with higher traffic density. It is so difficult to merge into a junction (except free left) with people zipping past. It is common sense to slow down a bit when traversing a junction cause three way traffic is inbound. This is mostly applicable if the red light is not working or does not exist. I always slow down on junctions irrespective.
Old 9th November 2015, 23:06   #7934
BHPian

You got to be a BAD driver if you can get involved in 5 ACCIDENTS in 20 seconds. Want proof? Here it is. The guy JUST CANNOT hit and run, and ends up in a well as well.

And as for the cretins that handle steering wheels/handle bars rashly, i wish Indian Traffic police treat such scum in this manner:

Last edited by WindRide : 9th November 2015 at 23:09.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 23:35   #7935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
You got to be a BAD driver if you can get involved in 5 ACCIDENTS in 20 seconds. Want proof? Here it is. The guy JUST CANNOT hit and run, and ends up in a well as well.
An old one,, but, undeniably a very, very good one. I think, in previous discussions, we established the location as China.

Quote:
And as for the cretins that handle steering wheels/handle bars rashly, i wish Indian Traffic police treat such scum in this manner:
It's a lesson for those who think that how to escape a cop who is telling you stop is, simply, don't. I think the biker got what he deserved, but I think that the cop took too much personal risk. Unless, of course, he does this regularly, and has a well-practised technique!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks