Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2015, 16:30   #7966
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Check out this video for a great specimen. Skip to 3:20.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th December 2015 at 19:28. Reason: As requested.
Old 18th December 2015, 17:01   #7967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Not an accident, but its about how not to take a turn. No turn indicators, zooming between lanes.
Aren't all three of you in the wrong lanes? You and the cops, and the Santro.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th December 2015 at 19:22. Reason: Removing video from quoted post.
mayankk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 09:03   #7968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Not an accident, but its about how not to take a turn. No turn indicators, zooming between lanes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Aren't all three of you in the wrong lanes? You and the cops, and the Santro.
LOL... Mayankk's right. That's like the pot calling the kettle black! Tanwaramit, not that you or the cops did anything different from what 99.9% of drivers in Delhi-NCR do all the time - and worse!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th December 2015 at 12:08. Reason: Removing video from quoted post.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 23:15   #7969
Senior - BHPian

Watch these videos, taken on Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore.

Swift Dzire - KA 01 ME 897 - Suddenly merges on to main road, drives away crazy ! I give out a long 20 second horn, to grab his attention. Guy looks at me in his ORVM, but doesn't react or show a hand apology.

A biker zooms onto the opposite lane and stops inches away from my car, I was at a steady 40, and thankfully could stop without banging into him !!!

Remember the Swift Dzire ? I overtook him somewhere when he was stuck in a jam. The moment he sees me ahead of him, he overtakes, and dangerously cuts across into my lane and tries to block me ! Probable road rage. I kept quiet, and held my dashcam indicating, he was being recorded. He zoomed away.

Old 21st December 2015, 00:21   #7970
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Remember the Swift Dzire ? I overtook him somewhere when he was stuck in a jam. The moment he sees me ahead of him, he overtakes, and dangerously cuts across into my lane and tries to block me ! Probable road rage. I kept quiet, and held my dashcam indicating, he was being recorded. He zoomed away.
I think you squeezed him first, when you shifted to left lane in the beginning of the video. He'd have considered this move of yours to be aggression. Unfortunately he wouldn't take into consideration (or even remember) your inconvenience when he cut you off earlier.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st December 2015 at 07:40. Reason: Removing video link from quoted text
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 02:37   #7971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

I think you squeezed him first, when you shifted to left lane in the beginning of the video. He'd have considered this move of yours to be aggression. Unfortunately he wouldn't take into consideration (or even remember) your inconvenience when he cut you off earlier.
I do realize that I shifted lane, but I checked my left ORVM and since he was a bit far away, i switched on my blinkers and shifted to left lane. May he thought I was trying to block him, and that ticked him off to charge onto my left and get squeezed. Later, he cut into my lane and blocked me to prove his point.

Looking back now, I think I should not have blown that long horn when he suddenly merged onto the main road !
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:20   #7972
Senior - BHPian

Got this as a forward on WhatsApp.

Though it's badged as a being "Hilarious", I found it to reflect the true state of affairs.

" Hilarious Article by a Dutchman who visited India

For the benefit of every Tom, Dick and Harry visiting India and daring to drive on Indian roads, I am offering a few hints for survival. They are applicable to every place in India except Bihar -- where life outside a vehicle is only marginally safer.

Indian road rules broadly operate within the domain of karma where you do your best, and leave the results to your insurance company.

The hints are as follows:
Do we drive on the left or right of the road? The answer is "both".
Basically you start on the left of the road, unless it is occupied. In that case, go
to the right, unless that is also occupied. Then proceed by occupying the next
available gap, as in chess. Just trust your instincts, ascertain the direction, and proceed.

Adherence to road rules leads to much misery and occasional fatality. Most drivers don't drive, but just aim their vehicles in the generally intended direction. Don't you get discouraged or underestimate yourself except for a belief in reincarnation; the other drivers are not in any better position.

Don't stop at pedestrian crossings just because some fool wants to cross the road. You may do so only if you enjoy being bumped in the back. Pedestrians have been strictly instructed to cross only when traffic is moving slowly or has come to a dead stop because some minister is in town. Still some idiot may try to wade across, but then, let us not talk ill of the dead.

Blowing your horn is not a sign of protest as in some countries. We honk to
express joy, resentment, frustration, romance and bare lust (two brisk blasts),or just mobilize a dozing cow in the middle of the bazaar.
Keep informative books in the glove compartment. You may read them during traffic jams, while awaiting the chief minister's motorcade, or waiting for the rainwater to recede when over ground traffic meets underground drainage.

Occasionally you might see what looks like a UFO with blinking colored lights and weird sounds emanating from within. This is an illuminated bus, full of happy pilgrims singing bhajans. These pilgrims go at breakneck speed, seeking contact with the Almighty, often meeting with success.

Auto Rickshaw (Baby Taxi):
The result of a collision between a rickshaw and an automobile, this three-wheeled vehicle works on an external combustion engine that runs on a mixture of kerosene oil and creosote. This triangular vehicle carries iron rods, gas cylinders or passengers three times its weight and dimension, at an unspecified fare. After careful geometric calculations, children are folded and packed into these auto rickshaws until some children in the periphery are not in contact with the vehicle at all. Then their school bags are pushed into the
microscopic gaps all round so those minor collisions with other vehicles on the road cause no permanent damage. Of course, the peripheral children are charged half the fare and also learn Newton 's laws of motion enroute to school. Auto-rickshaw drivers follow the road rules depicted in the film Ben Hur, and are licensed to irritate.

Mopeds:
The moped looks like an oil tin on wheels and makes noise like an electric shaver. It runs 30 miles on a teaspoon of petrol and travels at break-bottom speed. As the sides of the road are too rough for a ride, the moped drivers tend to drive in the middle of the road; they would rather drive under heavier vehicles instead of around them and are often "mopped" off the tarmac.

Leaning Tower of Passes:
Most bus passengers are given free passes and during rush hours, there is absolute mayhem. There are passengers hanging off other passengers, who in turn hang off the railings and the overloaded bus leans dangerously, defying laws of gravity but obeying laws of surface tension. As drivers get paid for overload (so many Rupees per kg of passenger), no questions are ever asked.
Steer clear of these buses by a width of three passengers.

One-way Street:
These boards are put up by traffic people to add jest in their otherwise drab lives. Don't stick to the literal meaning and proceed in one direction. In metaphysical terms, it means that you cannot proceed in two directions at once. So drive as you like, in reverse throughout, if you are the fussy type.

Least I sound hypercritical, I must add a positive point also. Rash and fast driving in residential areas has been prevented by providing a "speed breaker"; two for each house. This mound, incidentally, covers the water and drainage pipes for that residence and is left untarred for easy identification by the corporation authorities, should they want to recover the pipe for year-end accounting.

Night driving on Indian roads can be an exhilarating experience for those with the mental make up of Genghis Khan. In a way, it is like playing Russian roulette,
because you do not know who amongst the drivers is loaded. What looks like premature dawn on the horizon turns out to be a truck attempting a speed record. On encountering it, just pull partly into the field adjoining the road until the
phenomenon passes.

Our roads do not have shoulders, but occasional boulders.
Do not blink your lights expecting reciprocation. The only dim thing in the truck is the driver, and with the peg of illicit arrack (alcohol) he has had at the last stop, his total cerebral functions add up to little more than a naught.

Truck drivers are the James Bonds of India, and are licensed to kill. Often you may encounter a single powerful beam of light about six feet above the ground.
This is not a super motorbike, but a truck approaching you with a single light on, usually the left one. It could be the right one, but never get too close to investigate. You may prove your point posthumously. "
schakravarthy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:24   #7973
Senior - BHPian

@Soumyajit:

Pardon me if i'm wrong but the biker would not have seen you since you were behind the zen and you changed to the left lane just at the junction. What he did was crazy no doubts about that. If you were not able to stop he would be languishing in a hospital or worse. No helmet.

The problem with many on the road is that they expect the others to give way or stop or avoid hitting them. They forget that the responsibility of all that falls on them first and then to the other drivers on road.

The dezire case in the first video, i dont know but you could have given the cars way to merge seeing as how you were still a bit away from the junction.

Second video, i fail to see the blocking bit, seems to me he was just slowing down for the junction and allowing others to cross...

But i wasnt there and all the comments are just my observations and they may be wrong
Old 24th December 2015, 11:59   #7974
Senior - BHPian

Here is a learner learning to be a bad driver. Wonder what is he trying to do, my take avoid high beams at night

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-baddriver_eon.jpg
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 20:39   #7975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Saw this video on the net. No wonder we see cars deformed and damaged beyond identification on accidents thread.
THIS is the reason why India is no place for cars with powertrains on steroids > the rampant & callous misuse of the power. The manoeuvres done above can be classified as "reckless endangerment of lives" which is a serious crime in developed countries. Its shocking to say the least, no driver has the right to destroy others property or take lives while he indulges in what can only be described as homicidal driving.

I've said it before, I'd say it again.. keep to the limits. Its ok to catch some wind when the roads are free while maintaining adequate distance of 10-20 meters from other cars and when the eyes keep a 360 degree watch, but its NOT ok to veer left or right within inches of another vehicle or to use public roads as sort of an F1 track. Even autobahns have strict rules when it comes to changing lanes.
Old 24th December 2015, 21:03   #7976
Senior - BHPian

Those guys in the video sound quite drunk. If they go on in this manner they are more than likely to cause a fatal accident, most likely for someone else rather than themselves given the number of inbuilt safety features and body weight of their car.

If they were doing that on a city road, and it is a recent video, it might be worth posting the video on the traffic police fb page of the city police, requesting them to act on the driver for drunk driving.

Last edited by hserus : 24th December 2015 at 21:05.
Old 25th December 2015, 20:32   #7977
bkc
BHPian

Callous driving by some New drivers

After reading ‘GTO's thread’ on retaining your current vehicle in case of repairs, (FYI http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ink-again.html ) I intended to retain my Optra Magnum. I started today to get parts from Shivajinagar Junk yard (small plastic parts) and later to JC road (JK automobiles) to get suspension parts.

I couldn't get small parts from Shivajinagar, then, I started to JC road. While driving via queen's road, some speeding fabia crossed by my left and I could feel the wind deflect us to right. I was accompanied by my friend and both were shocked for a moment. I could see the fabia go past us speeding (maybe around 120) and halted near the signal that touches MG road.
We soon reached the signal and the conversation went like this, between us.

Me: Why were you driving so fast and close to us? We got afraid.
Driver (teenager): Nothing happened to you know? Then leave it.
Me : What nothing happened? In case it happens, who will be responsible?
Driver : If something happens, I will take care.
Me: I got pissed and shouted, what will you take care of? stupid!
Driver: got down with his friend and came physical with me.
Me: I was removing my helmet and kept calm.
My friend: He looks huge and pacified the situation, saying, it was their rash driving. He also told me to take a snap of the car number.
Driver's friend: You cannot do anything with number. Give complaint or do what you want and asked me to take his photo along with the car.
(I was smiling inside seeing these teenagers but controlled and took his snap)
Below are the Pics of the Skoda and the driver's friend.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20151225_135757.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20151225_135800.jpg
We did not want to fight because of all the problems we faced during teenage for these small fights. Moreover, showing power won't correct them but increase their anger. There were some slang exchanged but, I was careful enough not to initiate anything by myself. (I hate to get low and fight in public using abusive words).

I request rash drivers to have some concern on public commuting and they do not have any right to risk others life. I read in some thread here that ‘you do not have any right to compromise safety of others’ and always drive cars having safety features.

I ensure that they all wear seat belts using in-thread tricks like (personal too)
1) My car won’t start unless all seat-belts are locked.
2) You will be a projectile without seat-belt and it affects my safety.
3) Air bags won’t open if, seat belts are not locked during accident (it’s true).
4) I paid for top model and got all safety features for you.
5) Use the product completely as we have paid for it.
6) I want you to be safe. (works for my wifey)

This post might strike or educate some to show care for public commuting on road. This post is not intended to hurt anyone but to teach (even the guy in the pic)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th December 2015 at 09:00. Reason: Moved post to this thread instead of a new thread
bkc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 14:54   #7978
Senior - BHPian

Friend spotted this guy in Gurgaon the other day. Taking phone calls when driving is old hat, now people check FB / whatsapp instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image.jpeg  

Old 1st January 2016, 10:04   #7979
BHPian

The famous Kerala Private buses and their infamous rash driving on Mannuthy Vadakkanchery stretch on NH47. This was taken from my car's dash camera.

Really dangerous......

couswheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 12:16   #7980
BHPian

Govt should ban all New Year celebrations. More and more AH's getting on the road.

Check this guy, what he does inside an underpass.

500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks