Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2016, 09:58   #8086
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Was witness to a super scene today.

Oh and the look on the Skoda guy's face.. Priceless, I tell you!
Oh man. If only you had a helmet cam The video of that scene would have been so good to watch
Old 30th January 2016, 10:27   #8087
BHPian

Had been having this doubt for a long time. We are witnessing scores of boy racers and morons driving foolishly and uploading the footage on YouTube. Can't the police take action against them for rash and negligent driving with the video as evidence. More often,the culprit doesn't bother to change name,car info and date of video etc. Why can't they use that evidence and catch them?
Old 30th January 2016, 12:31   #8088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Encountered this extreme case of insanity, white Renault Fluence, KA-02-MH-7848 on 25th Dec, somewhere before Krishnagiri on NH-7...

If this person is known to anybody in the forum, please advise him/her to stay away from vehicles. I wish such specimens find their way into formaldehyde jars before they reproduce. The medical community can learn a lot about insanely dangerous life forms, and the world will see one less strain of imbeciles.
A few google searches led me to his profiles at a few websites. This guy is a GM at a reputed firm. More proof that education and position do not guarantee sanity and common sense on public roads
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 12:34   #8089
Distinguished - BHPian

I hate this new trend of bikers in Delhi getting these constantly blinking bright lights on both ends of bikes. Don't know if they feel it looks cool or increases their visibility in fog but it sure does create a lot of glare for the fellow drivers.
Old 30th January 2016, 12:38   #8090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I hate this new trend of bikers in Delhi getting these constantly blinking bright lights on both ends of bikes. Don't know if they feel it looks cool or increases their visibility in fog but it sure does create a lot of glare for the fellow drivers.
They try to imitate more expensive bikes like Thunderbird and Harleys that get this as a safety feature.

Problem is that fellow drivers don't have any idea about their intentions to turn or change lane!
Old 30th January 2016, 12:46   #8091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
We are witnessing scores of boy racers and morons driving foolishly and uploading the footage on YouTube. ... .... Why can't they use that evidence and catch them?
Why does YouTube permit such content? Well... I suppose the internet is supposed to have free speech and all, and there is very much worse, nastier, content to be found.

I don't know about admissibility of youtube as evidence in the world's courts, but I seem to remember seeing mention of such material being used in UK.

As a general, not-necessarily-driving-related comment, I am astounded at the insane stupidity of those who film themselves committing crimes, even heinous/violent crime, and not only carry that evidence around with them, but make it public on youtube or facebook. Morons.

If there is any particular illegal-driving video, local to you, perhaps you could report it, or post to local police site if they have one. I suppose, they don't have the manpower to sift through youtube every day looking for such things themselves.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 20:35   #8092
BHPian

As far as speed goes, most dashcams / action cams give an apearence of faster speed due to their wide angle lenses. Without info on the vehicle speeds in the video itself, I would not want any penalty based of the feel of speed alone.

As far as rash and unsafe driving goes, I don't want YouTube to ban these videos either. The publicity creates awareness - this thread being an example.

I am of the opinion that if one is sure of the car or the driver, outing them is the best solution. Some feel immune to fines, maybe shame will work.
braindead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 21:52   #8093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
As far as speed goes, most dashcams / action cams give an apearence of faster speed due to their wide angle lenses. Without info on the vehicle speeds in the video itself, I would not want any penalty based of the feel of speed alone.

Most of the videos I have come across in YouTube are not dashcam type but recorded by holding a mobile or digital camera.
As far as punishment is concerned ,most videos has the driver/his friend giving an irritating commentary or caption about 150kmph+ speeds, overtaking German luxury cars,how his/her car is superior and fast and finally how he takes the video - his friend or himself with single hand at wheel etc. Doesn't these info given by them (proof is in the video itself ) form a basis of charging them with penalty? Quite a few of them were posted in bad drivers thread.

And regarding public awareness, the people who advocate it and hail it as great driving etc ., are far more compared to minuscule few who reckon road and public safety and put up negative comments for the video.
Old 30th January 2016, 22:21   #8094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
As far as punishment is concerned ,most videos has the driver/his friend giving an irritating commentary or caption about 150kmph+ speeds, overtaking German luxury cars,how his/her car is superior and fast and finally how he takes the video - his friend or himself with single hand at wheel etc. Doesn't these info given by them (proof is in the video itself ) form a basis of charging them with penalty?
Yes.

But I would rather have more police patrols and police cameras than have the cops trawl the net to find dashcam videos that look naughty. In any case there needs to be a mechanism / procedure to objectively assess the data.
Old 31st January 2016, 17:22   #8095
BHPian

Was about to hit a two wheeler - Just see how close these idiots were.. driving from extreme left to extreme right suddenly. They were plain lucky and me too.

Old 1st February 2016, 00:39   #8096
Distinguished - BHPian

Idiot, holding the hand out as if it is supposed to stop something the size and weight of a car.

I bet, too, that the road behind you was clear. Just a hunch. This sort of driver doesn't even take risks: they just drive as if nobody else was there.
Old 1st February 2016, 07:37   #8097
BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Check this out. This BMTC Volvo driver seems to be late for something. Skipping stops, almost knocking down two wheelers, a goods auto and going off-road to overtake a cement mixing truck.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 07:51   #8098
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Check this out. This BMTC Volvo driver seems to be late for something. Skipping stops, almost knocking down two wheelers, a goods auto and going off-road to overtake a cement mixing truck.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
These days I have shifted back my commute time to work and leave home at 0630am and reach EC by 0730am. The video of yours is exactly the type of BMTC Volvos I encounter right from KIAL Main road all the way till Silkboard/EC. Buses contracted for ORRCA are into this list too.

They break every signal, drive dangerously to overtake and pounce on oncoming traffic (wherever there are no medians, ex - Langford Road), careless and honk you at every signal while you are waiting for the Red light to turn green.

It is a very dangerous situation if you are the only car stopped for the red light that I constantly keep my legs on the Brake Pedal to indicate these fellas that I am waiting.

Add to this, ruffian cabbies, TTs, Green Buses from National Travels contracted to Siemens (as these too reach EC by 0730) - It is shameful that none of these stop at any traffic signal (I pass 17 one way).

More shameful is the very fact that the employees seated inside are either busy taking a nap or hooked to their smartphone completely oblivious to whatever their dear driver is doing to make them reach work "Safely".

With the occupants least bothered about their driver following rules, the trend in early mornings is killer I tell you and this is only getting worse and really aggressive.

Techies - Wake up from the slumber. It's time you act. Take on that driver if he breaks rules or send a strong message to the officials at your workplace.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st February 2016 at 07:55. Reason: Removed Video URL from the quote
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 08:55   #8099
BHPian

Today morning.

Waiting at Gokhale Chowk Signal (Goodluck chowk).
A activa guy squeezes in between my car and the pedestrian platform on the right. But he wait for the Green.

A guy on a rickety bike comes behind him after 15 secs and starts honking. I gesture to the bike guy "what?" and the bike guy has the audacity to gesture that the activa guy is blocking his way.

I roll down the window and shout at him "Laal aahe.. kay ghai lagliye" (its RED, whats the rush). He smiles sheepishly and stops honking.
freedom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 09:11   #8100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Techies - Wake up from the slumber. It's time you act. Take on that driver if he breaks rules or send a strong message to the officials at your workplace.
This was rampant in the cabs provided to my company. The employees had a blind eye to whatever the driver did. I took the cab one day and that was the last day I every sat in that tempo contraption. The way it is driven, it supposedly is easier to drive than a Nano inside the city. Mornings they are in a hurry to reach office and they dont tell anything to the driver(or as you say they are in a deep slumber) and evenings they want to get home in time, let it take anything. Hence they ignore if the driver is driving like a mad man.

But it seems now the tables have turned. Two incidents happened where the cab driver was driving rashly and led to some confrontations where the opposite party gave a mouthful to the employees inside the cab for a serious duration of time instead of the driver. That led to the employees in turn bashing up the driver and the transport desk, and the non cooperating drivers were shunted out of duty. It happened in my friends office too. After an accident the opposite party took the employees to task very badly. That led to a new driver the very next day.

This is the only way to teach errant cabbies some discipline. They can change companies once or twice, but if that will become a regular affair, they will surely be forced to mend themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post

I roll down the window and shout at him "Laal aahe.. kay ghai lagliye" (its RED, whats the rush). He smiles sheepishly and stops honking.
Wow, in Bangalore, if you did that, he would be asking what on earth is your problem if he wants to jump the signal. Thats how the attitude has become. Your situation happened to me once when the etios cab next to me was approached from a TT from behind. The etios cab was following the rules and had stopped at the signal when the TT guy started shouting at him. I was a mute spectator but the Etios cab did not move. Great thing he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post

Check this out. This BMTC Volvo driver seems to be late for something.
On a side note, looks like that is one of the few Volvo buses of BMTC that is actually performing like that. Rest all have become slouches these days.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks