Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2014, 13:25   #6586
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

A really bad one:-
I was on my two-wheeler today morning to office. A seemingly well educated lady on the wheel of a white Octavia driving at a pretty good speed. Her maybe 4 or 5 year old daughter sticking her head and body out of the sun-roof and with her arms out laughing/shouting gleefully.
I caught up with them near a speed-breaker and asked her politely to keep her child in because its not at all safe. She nodded, smiled, did nothing but speed away, her kid swaying along with the car.

Need I say more?

Last edited by aneezan : 26th August 2014 at 13:27. Reason: deleted word
Old 26th August 2014, 13:41   #6587
Senior - BHPian

This is what I don't understand, people are impatient and lazy at the same time. Impatient to get somewhere and will do anything to get there. Lazy to go 20mts ahead to take a u-turn, so instead ride/drive the wrong side and then cut across the divider. To make things worse, BTP isn't interested in enforcement of the law, just to bend it and extort the general public.

What in the world is wrong with people! Has the rot gotten this bad?
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 13:48   #6588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
A really bad one:-
I was on my two-wheeler today morning to office. A seemingly well educated lady on the wheel of a white Octavia driving at a pretty good speed. Her maybe 4 or 5 year old daughter sticking her head and body out of the sun-roof and with her arms out laughing/shouting gleefully.
I caught up with them near a speed-breaker and asked her politely to keep her child in because its not at all safe. She nodded, smiled, did nothing but speed away, her kid swaying along with the car.

Need I say more?
Everything boils down to the attitude of the individual. Here the mother is not all worried about the possible consequences. Why will the child worry??
Old 26th August 2014, 14:16   #6589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Everything boils down to the attitude of the individual. Here the mother is not all worried about the possible consequences. Why will the child worry??
I agree. I actually feel sorry for these souls rather than angry. Accidents can happen any time, but from our side, minimal safety precautions should be taken at the least.
This lady and her kid were giving an open invitation to death.
Old 26th August 2014, 15:27   #6590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I agree. I actually feel sorry for these souls rather than angry. Accidents can happen any time, but from our side, minimal safety precautions should be taken at the least.
This lady and her kid were giving an open invitation to death.
Not to sound insensitive, but if (rather when) something untoward happens, the same parents will blame everything under the sun except their own stupidity for the mishap. Far too many people have kids but are totally unfit to be responsible parents.
Old 26th August 2014, 16:11   #6591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Not to sound insensitive, but if (rather when) something untoward happens, the same parents will blame everything under the sun except their own stupidity for the mishap. Far too many people have kids but are totally unfit to be responsible parents.
I agree with you. Last Sunday while driving to my parents house in Malleswaram, I saw a Hyundai Verna being driven with the kid sitting on his on his father's lap. The father was driving the car. I kept staring at him every time i overtook him.
What would you call this. Stupidity / over confidence / Arrogant.
Old 26th August 2014, 17:45   #6592
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad drivers. Worse parking! Blocking the carriageway by double parking so the bus cannot go through. Enthusiastic bystanders attempt to shift the Matiz sideways by collective muscle power, once the car parked next to it was removed by the driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1409055302084.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1409055319192.jpg  

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 26th August 2014 at 17:48.
Old 26th August 2014, 17:55   #6593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Bad drivers. Worse parking! Blocking the carriageway by double parking so the bus cannot go through. Enthusiastic bystanders attempt to shift the Matiz sideways by collective muscle power, once the car parked next to it was removed by the driver.
Is that Benito Juarez marg? South campus + Springdales manages to throw the traffic out of gear quite easily. Once a lady, driving on the wrong side had nicked my car, and wanted me to pay the damage done to her car's front bumper.
Old 26th August 2014, 18:11   #6594
BHPian

Around 9PM, I was driving home last night from KP to Miyapur, Hyderabad. A dark colored Wagon-R overtook me from my left. He seemed to be in some real hurry. After sometime I realized that he was using the indicator for shifting lanes. While that in itself is a good thing, this guy was actually forgetting to switch off his indicator after changing lane. Either he was forgetting, or he thought his car has lane change indicators that switch off automatically after 3-4 blinks . I know it sounds silly, but it took me quite some time to understand his antics.
Old 26th August 2014, 18:32   #6595
Distinguished - BHPian

I know I do that sometimes. The tick-tick is below my engine-on hearing threshold, and the flashing light is hidden by the steering wheel.
Old 26th August 2014, 19:18   #6596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Is that Benito Juarez marg? South campus + Springdales...
Once a lady, driving on the wrong side had nicked my car, and wanted me to pay the damage done to her car's front bumper.
LOL... I am now immune to those desi soccer moms to such an extent, that they get frustrated with my driving nowadays! On the days that I take the Scorpio along, the quality of entertainment is higher.
Old 26th August 2014, 20:04   #6597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
What would you call this. Stupidity / over confidence / Arrogant.
Just to give benefit of doubt, I would say "Ignorance", I have no hesitance in admitting that I would have done the same until I started understanding the various risks associated with these type of driving / riding.

IMHO most of the drivers / riders who are termed as "Bad Drivers" are because of their "Ignorance" than anything else. We are still lagging behind big time in terms of safe driving / riding practice, unless this is part of our school education where the kids are taught about following rules and driving safe, the change will happen in a very slow pace.

P.S - I remember reading a post in another thread where one of the member's son exclaimed "you too dad" for crossing the red light is sure a good sign of the younger generation knowing what is right and what is wrong.
balajird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 20:11   #6598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I happen to notice that the rear left door wasn't locked properly,
I wonder how can parents be so careless.
This is exactly why always have the rear doors have "child lock" enabled, As a parent, you would like to ensure that your kids are seated properly in their booster seat with seat belt fastened and close the door. I also have the windows locked to avoid the kids rolling down the window and sticking their hand out, however, I am not sure Santro has the child lock facility on the door.

IMO, this should be made mandatory in all the cars.
Old 26th August 2014, 20:17   #6599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I know I do that sometimes.
Well, forgetting it sometimes is a different thing. This guy was changing lane every 10-15 seconds and would only switch off his left indicator to switch on the right one and switch this off only to switch on the left. At any given time he had one of the indicators on, even though he was going straight.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 21:08   #6600
Team-BHP Support

I read somewhere, I hope it is not offensive to share it here.

Indians will wait to have (___) till they are 25, but not wait for 25 seconds for the signal to turn green.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed