Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 10:33   #6571
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Came across this. Initially I thought that there is a damaged car out there. But then I realized that it is an initiative by the Gurgaon Traffic Police for discouraging drunk driving. It was placed in Sector 31, a place where there are a lot of food joints and pubs. Good effort to remind people what might happen after they drive back if they are going to have a couple of drinks! Am upset reading all those news about drunk drivers running over homeless people on the pavements for the past three four days.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20140822_113624_resized.jpg  

JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 19:00   #6572
BHPian

This cabby decided to take a shortcut U-turn across the divider so as to save five minutes at the signal just ahead of the Ruby crossing (on the EM Bypass) -- and got stuck in the mud.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc0372.jpg

Last edited by Kumar R : 25th August 2014 at 19:02.
Kumar R is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 07:46   #6573
Senior - BHPian

Guess why this car has a bad driver inside it ?
Not that I will treat the one with correct answer, but just guess. It happens with may people.
This driver (rather his car) poses a great risk to the fellow road users.
I tried to flag him down and tell what is wrong, but he wasn't in a mood to listen to me.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140826_074514.png
Views: 804
Size:  394.0 KB
Name:  ForumRunner_20140826_074544.png
Views: 842
Size:  395.3 KB
Name:  ForumRunner_20140826_074531.png
Views: 855
Size:  399.9 KB

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 26th August 2014 at 07:48.
Old 26th August 2014, 08:04   #6574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Not that I will treat the one with correct answer, but just guess. It happens with may people.
Looks like a classic case of one of the doors not being locked properly. Well that's just a guess coz it could be that he might have forgotten to switch off the cabin light.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 08:07   #6575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Looks like a classic case of one of the doors not being locked properly. Well that's just a guess coz it could be that he might have forgotten to switch off the cabin light.
You gotcha man. The driver door was not shut properly.
I tried to go to his right side and tell him, but giving way to someone on right side is not a Bangalore thing.
So tried to get onto his left to tell him, wave at him. But no, he is a very dedicate and serious driver, with a half-open driver door, through which the driver itself may slip and vanish.

Our driver at my hometown switches off the cabin light mode to Off. He says it eats battery.
I said him and to my dad n mom also, to never let him switch off the cabin light. It should be set to "Door'.
What if some door is open and you are unaware of it. They got the message clear to the driver and now its set to "Door".

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 26th August 2014 at 08:10.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 08:16   #6576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried to go to his right side and tell him, but giving way to someone on right side is not a Bangalore thing.
Picture this, a family in a Santro Xing on Mysore road and the car overtakes me at 3 digit speeds. Dad and mom in the front and 2 kids in the rear seat wrestling each other.

I happen to notice that the rear left door wasn't locked properly, catch up with the car and try to tell the mother that the rear door is open. The family slows down a wee bit and the father hits the pedal like he was doing a quarter mile launch.

I had no choice but (for the safety of those 2 boys) to catch up with them again at the next speed breaker shout at them to slow down and lock the rear door. Luckily the lady understood this time around and they pulled over to lock the door.

I wonder how can parents be so careless.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 08:20   #6577
BHPian

Quote:
This driver (rather his car) poses a great risk to the fellow road users.
I tried to flag him down and tell what is wrong, but he wasn't in a mood to listen to me.

Attachment 1278629
Attachment 1278631
Attachment 1278630
Thats a Ritz Zxi which has a door-open indicator sign in the dash. Highly unlikely that a driver would miss that sign.
Old 26th August 2014, 08:29   #6578
BHPian

Quote:
So tried to get onto his left to tell him, wave at him. But no, he is a very dedicate and serious driver, with a half-open driver door, through which the driver itself may slip and vanish.
I think he was belted up (from the last picture, you can see a small portion of his seat belt). Btw, aren't you being a bad driver yourself, taking pictures while driving and taking your attention away from the road?
Old 26th August 2014, 08:39   #6579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Picture this, a family in a Santro Xing on Mysore road and the car overtakes me at 3 digit speeds. Dad and mom in the front and 2 kids in the rear seat wrestling each other.
Suicide Mission, eh ?
I happened to encounter such a dimwit last week. An Etios cab with 4/5 adults tightly packed at rear and a heavy load in boot (rear wheel arch was almost touching the tyre).
The rear left door was almost open. Visibly, it was shaking violently. The cabbie thought that I was up for a race when I honked and went parallel to his left (because giving way on right is not a Bangalore thing). He floored the pedal so that I couldn't overtake him.

This went on from Graphite India till Marathalli bridge, where I managed to come beside him, because his cab was not pulling fast on the flyover ramp. Waved frantically and then he realised something was wrong, and I was not racing.
All this while, I was on full alert, what if one of the adults from the rear left falls out, because I was on his left !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Thats a Ritz Zxi which has a door-open indicator sign in the dash. Highly unlikely that a driver would miss that sign.
All cars have an alert in the dash. Some have a red light + chime (mostly high end cars, not the Marutis), which is the best. Rest all have only the red light alert.
Not to mention, people ignore the seatbelt warning indicator light, so this guy may have mistook the door open light for seat belt light.
But still then, did he never look up the IRVM ? Because once you look up the IRVM, you are bound to notice the cabin light On.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 26th August 2014 at 08:43. Reason: EDIT
Old 26th August 2014, 10:04   #6580
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday there was a long queue at the EC1 toll gate extending to the ramp. While everyone is patiently waiting and moving forward slowly in their respective lanes (OBU and non-OBU), this nincompoop in a Honda City wriggles between the two lanes and creates a third lane and finally gets stuck. Why can't people just wait for their turn?
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1409027591390.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1409027605943.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1409027624551.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1409027638479.jpg  

Last edited by IronH4WK : 26th August 2014 at 10:06.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 10:27   #6581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
I think he was belted up (from the last picture, you can see a small portion of his seat belt). Btw, aren't you being a bad driver yourself, taking pictures while driving and taking your attention away from the road?
I am almost sure that the seatbelt wasn't on him. Anyways, I wear glasses, so may be wrong.
Well, yes, I am a bad driver too.
Old 26th August 2014, 11:09   #6582
Senior - BHPian

In UAE, most cases of bad driving is tail-gating.

My drive to & fro office is through a major expressway. Speed limit is 120, but you can unofficially go till 140 without the speed camera flashing on you.

I usually tend to avoid the left most lane (fast lane) because of tail gaters and I like to set the cruise control at 120 and drive on the 2nd or 3rd lane (its a 6-7 lane road), but sometimes due to slow drivers, I have to move to the left most lane to overtake them.

On this lane, I speed upto 130-140 to complete the overtaking maneuver as quickly as possible and get back to the second lane. Even when I am at 140, there are some cars (who knows the exact position of speed cams) tail gating me. Imagine seeing a bug burly Nissan Patrol or Toyota LC keeping a 5 cm gap from your rear bumper, when you are doing 140! A slight braking from my side can result in impact from the 2 ton SUV behind me & can send my car flying down the road!
Old 26th August 2014, 11:14   #6583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All cars have an alert in the dash.
My WagonR never had it. But I had eyes that could differentiate between Sunlight and natural light!
Quote:
Some have a red light + chime (mostly high end cars, not the Marutis), which is the best.
My Ertiga VDi itself as an indicator on Dash and a Ding sound if car is on motion and door is open.
Its way too difficult to miss the Door open or the Seat Belt warning sign. The latter can be ignored (by many) for those who don't know what seat belts are but very rare case that someone would also ignore the Door open sign too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Yesterday there was a long queue at the EC1 toll gate extending to the ramp. While everyone is patiently waiting and moving forward slowly in their respective lanes (OBU and non-OBU), this nincompoop in a Honda City wriggles between the two lanes and creates a third lane and finally gets stuck. Why can't people just wait for their turn?
Such a pain to experience this at BETL Phase 1 booth almost every day, isn't it?
This being a gateway to IT corridor where educated techies work.
Since I assume you travel peak hours, I see less cabs in the traffic as opposed to my case when its around 1:30pm at BETL and Its only cabbies and guess what? They too drive daily passing this booth ferrying employees and still manage to drive all the way onto the OBU lane, get scoldings from the attendants and then sneak in between the queue meant for cash.

We who patiently wait are only fools to assume the cabbies (with stickers of organizations in EC giving obvious hints that its their daily route) are ignorant of the OBU lane!

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th August 2014 at 11:21.
Old 26th August 2014, 11:42   #6584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Here is a manza guy doing the same. Initially he was hopping from one queue to the other then decided to jump ahead. This was at NICE road entry, Hosur road.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-manzaoptimized.jpg  

Old 26th August 2014, 13:05   #6585
Team-BHP Support

I had a toll-booth-moron experience on Sunday on the Hosakerehalli NECE Road entry.

I'm third in line at my toll-gate, and the attendant is taking a bit longer than expected to issue a ticket (computer/printer problems maybe). The Maruti 800 driver ahead of me is too important to wait, so gets down from his car and shouts at the attendant, then gestures angrily at me to reverse so he can join another lane. I ask him what the problem is, and his lordship is in a hurry to get to Mysore before nightfall (this happened at around 5PM). I told him if it takes more than a couple of mins, I'll back up and we can both take another lane, but he wants me to MOVE NOW, while his co-passenger substitutes for him at honking continuously.

Funny thing, the issue is actually resolved while this person is busy gesturing at me, and his co-passenger finally comes down to drag him away screaming "the lane is open now!"

People have no patience, no manners how to behave in public, how to treat anyone else with respect on the road, and want everyone to move out of the way because they have no sense of travel times and planning. Less than 5 mins later, I find this guy parked on the side of NECE Road, posing for pictures with his tin-box. I gave him a honk and a smirk, and went on my way. Idiot.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th August 2014 at 13:19.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks