Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2016, 09:34   #8191
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This morning as I walking on a narrow lane near my home a cabbie was driving on the right side of the road traveling directly towards me, I first waved to him thinking he may be looking at his phone and suddenly when he was very close I noticed that he was dozing I spontaneously screamed when he seemed to open his eyes ever so slightly and move towards the middle of the road. There was a 2 wheeler behind me who realized what was happening and honked loudly to finally wake the guy up and he sheepishly moved to the left side of the road and stopped - "Dozing Cabbie, Hidden Danger"
These cabbies do 12+ hour shifts which is dangerous for them as well as the employees they pick up and drop, god save us!

Last edited by NPV : 29th February 2016 at 09:53.
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 13:07   #8192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Found a similar maha-purush on NH4 today.
An interesting article about such drivers, and what / what not to do:
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/blo...on-for-others/
Quote:
How to deal with a fatberg

Do:
  • Be patient. There’s not much else you can do;
  • Pass when given the chance, and pass quickly. It is only courteous, the car in front has gone out of their way for you;
  • Think about stopping if you were planning to soon anyway;
  • Let others cars through. Sounds odd, but a few times I have been directly behind a fatberg but unable to overtake as my car was too slow. So I let the more powerful third car pass me, and that then car was able to pass the fatberg who then woke up and followed the example, letting everyone else past.
Do not:
  • Hassle the fatberg by tailgating, flashing lights, horns. Chances are you’ll make the situation worse, or get them to speed up and then make an error…potentially fatal. How would you like that on your conscience? Oh, and that behaviour isn’t legal either;
  • Take risks. It is just not worth it. Overtaking accidents are deadly;
  • Assume you know what’s happening. In the same way that the fatberg knows nothing about you and your situation, you know nothing about them, their car, or why they are driving slowly;
  • Stop just after you are let by. Do any stopping before you pass.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 4th March 2016 at 13:10.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 15:50   #8193
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's one who I encountered on my way from EC last week. At first, his brake lights are up briefly for no apparent reason and then see his ride sway in and out for a second till be removes his helmet (Not strapped of course) and lifts it over to pass it to her beloved darling riding the pillion (not wearing a helmet of course).

She never played throwball in school and eventually misses that round object that saves you 100 bucks fine and that lands straight onto the road.

The Tata Ace that I just overtook barely misses this and the helmet falls right in front of it and the Ace begins to sweep this for a good 100 meters (as I notice from my IRVM) and pulls over probably to return the round object back or to give that rider a piece of mind.

Only lucky that there was no 2 wheeler tailing this Scooter which would have resulted in a dangerous accident.

Focus 33 Seconds onward:

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th March 2016 at 15:54.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 16:51   #8194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here's one who I encountered on my way from EC last week. At first, his brake lights are up briefly for no apparent reason and then see his ride sway in and out for a second till be removes his helmet (Not strapped of course) and lifts it over to pass it to her beloved darling riding the pillion (not wearing a helmet of course).
Probably he got a call on his mobile and so tried to remove his helmet to attend the call. Yes, it would have been dangerous if someone was closely behind.
Old 4th March 2016, 17:02   #8195
BHPian

So, was driving towards Sarjapur Road near the Greenview Medical Center.

What happened was a chain reaction started by a biker cutting across a fairly new Swift, the Swift braked abruptly - then there were 2 bikers who were at a kissing distance of him - A scooty and a Pulsar.

Suddenly I see a biker wavering badly in front of me and I am dead sure he will come right in front - but because I have enough gap in front I can come to a dead halt. The scooty was not so lucky though, he was nicked by another biker following him from the left, when he braked hard. Result - Bad Fall for the Scooty fellow, cuts and bruises all over his hands. Thankfully was wearing a decent helmet so nothing major. Waited for 30 secs on the side of the road to see he was okay, was shocked but all right and then I left the scene.

Learning : Never drive close to someone on an open road (atleast). Here there were multiple mistakes - Biker cutting across a car, Car driven too close, bikes driven with speed and too close to the car. It could have been worse, thankfully it was not.
Old 4th March 2016, 23:34   #8196
BHPian

Today was the first time that I actually stepped out of my car to have a word with a Gurgaon registered Thar (HR26 CG XXX4).
I was driving sedately in right lane and saw a fast approaching car in my rear view mirror. Shifted to center lane to allow this vehicle, a Thar, to overtake me. It was followed by a Fortuner being driven by a maniac as if there's no tomorrow. This Fortuner, after overtaking me from right, swerved 2 lanes, of course by cutting me, went to the left most lane and sped away.
I continued in center lane and as Gurgaon traffic will have it, came adjacent to Thar. Seeing an opportunity to cut me, since center Lane was vacant while the right was blocked by a slow moving car, Thar tried bulldozing me while still driving parallel to me. Unable to take this nonsensical driving, I held my Lane, and speed. At a traffic signal ahead which had a waiting time of 120+ seconds, I stepped out and had a word with Thar's driver and told him that he pull out all TBHP stickers (he had almost all of them - "Got BHP" on rear bumper, LTD and one more on right corner of front bumper) should he want to continue driving irresponsibly on roads.
This driver had the gall to tell me I overtook him from left!! I realized it was no point talking to moron like him and backed off. Of course he continued his irresponsible driving after the signal turned green.
Only piece of advice for you - hope you have a good life insurance policy for yourself. If not, get one. And also, have a maximized third party insurance because the way you drive, sooner than later, you will need both.

Last edited by AlokSriva : 4th March 2016 at 23:41.
Old 5th March 2016, 10:58   #8197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Near Fatal ? Do not miss the drama at the end of the video
A lot has already been said, but let me add my 2 bits. I wouldn't have overtaken until the Innova was fully into the left lane. From whatever I've seen while driving, when a vehicle moves to the left, but not fully into the left lane there is a good chance they will move back into the right lane. In such cases I do not overtake until hanging on for a few seconds to see that the fool has stabilized in between both lanes, and only then do I squeeze through.

Anyway in this case I think you should have braked, wasn't worth squeezing through.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 7th March 2016 at 13:05. Reason: Please do not quote videos when replying to a post.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 21:01   #8198
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't know if this is a bad driver, but a bad parent/guardian for sure.

From the looks of it, the kid is barely legal to drive/ride.
The helmet is a gross misfit, it was wobbling on his head. The parent/guardian was happily twitching his thumbs sitting at the back. Without a helmet.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-vlcsnap2016030520h55m34s604.png
Old 7th March 2016, 11:52   #8199
BHPian

I don't know why some two wheeler riders think that driving on the right lane is the safest thing to do !! The right lane is even used by two wheeler and four wheeler drivers alike whenever they feel like speaking on the mobile, going a steady 20 kmph.

I meet these kind of bad drivers every day travelling to and from office.

I had a harrowing time getting out of our lane to join the main road today. A dump truck was parked right at the mouth of the lane. Another was parked right opposite so that effectively only the space of a single lane was available. Add to that the fact that even when I was almost touching the middle line taking a right turn, no one was inclined to stop. Everyone including tempos and rickshaws swerved to get past me like I was going to halt there for the night and they simply had to get past before that
Old 7th March 2016, 12:20   #8200
Senior - BHPian

Few contributions:

1) Lady with a baby & steering - I noticed the registration number missing in the photo and noted it down later. Car is previous gen white i20, number KA 02 MG 7727

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-carbaby.jpg

2) The lady in red couldn't beat the yellow light. She & co decided to wait till the next one

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20160229_173847.jpg

3) This truck turned too fast and spilled its cargo. Driver was busy arguing on phone (most likely with the loading guys). Time to ban all open trucks and force everyone to use containers, big & small?

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-truck1.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-truck2.jpg

Last edited by msdivy : 7th March 2016 at 12:29.
Old 7th March 2016, 12:35   #8201
BHPian

Part of morning madness. Any vehicle entering this flyover is around 40kmph minimum. I would have been around 45. This guy decides to reverse on this one way flyover. I was among the first cars to get up this flyover since there is a Signal just half a km behind this approach & I was in the first line. There is a whole swarm of traffic behind me.

Icing on the cake : Does not even have a reverse light.

Safe speeds saved both of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-untitled.jpg  

Old 7th March 2016, 13:14   #8202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Part of morning madness.
Safe speeds saved both of us.
Safe speeds did really save you from the stupidity of that ace driver. In all probability he was taking directions on the phone and when he realized that he wanted to exit the ramp, take the quickest way and reverse.

The driver does not even have the chance to keep a proper lookout because of the load his carrier has mounted. A very high risk. I would have liked it if all the oncoming vehicles would have huddled around him and forced him to move on and take the next legal exit but then it is precisely because we allow such behavior that it is so rampant.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 15:50   #8203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Few contributions:

1) Lady with a baby & steering - I noticed the registration number missing in the photo and noted it down later. Car is previous gen white i20, number KA 02 MG 7727

Attachment 1483392
This is horrendous! She could atleast have asked the lady sitting with her to hold the baby. Even that is not advised, but this is begging for disaster. She probably needs to hold the title of most irresponsible parents!

Stupidity does not have any class, creed, colour, sex or any other bias.
Old 7th March 2016, 19:30   #8204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post

Stupidity does not have any class, creed, colour, sex or any other bias.
Got this on WhatsApp. Kind of reinforces the thought, doesn't it?

Name:  ForumRunner_20160307_192959.png
Views: 2826
Size:  453.1 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 23:10   #8205
BANNED

last Saturday on Bangalore -Salem high way this guy suddenly came into my lane and gone. Took picture near toll gate. he was doing 100-120 km/h without side mirrors open on both the sides and very rash driving. :shocked:Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457372443.915795.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks