Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 23:56   #691
ada
BHPian

But the skill is how to recognize a bad driver coming towards you in opposite direction, this was very important in the times when we had single roads and one or both drivers had to get down or leave half a road to the other driver. A decent exchange would be when each left half road to the other, the rotten exchange would be when one would not budge an inch and you had to go all down. What we used to do in case of such drivers is, leaving half a road come to a an absolute stop, you could literally hear the driver grumbling as he passed by you.
Old 5th August 2009, 13:53   #692
BHPian

had an encounter with a bmtc bus (blue-white one not volvo) on old HAL airport road today headed towards trinity church road. Was on my way to mg road and there is a 30kmph drag race happening between two bmtc buses. I had 2 cars in front of me being blocked by this spectacle, so i honked my way to behind the bus and light signal/honk the bus to move out of the way and take his race to some place else. Nothing happens the race continues.
Finally the bus hits 50 and wins the race and I rejoice hoping that now he will give me way on this empty road. But no this guy keeps going at 50 in the middle of road, blocking all lanes. Finally i get onto oncoming road (no divider near military area) and overtake at 70 and join back to slow down in front of the bus and give him a taste of his own medicine for a mere 2-3 secs. He promptly moves to the slow lane to overtake me from left.
As I vroom off, I see him struggling to catch up, in his rage he skips the only bus stop on that road. He jumps the red signal and catches up with me at the traffic before the turn to trinity church road.
He then hangs out of his window and I give him a smile and gesture/say 'please give side' He didn't seem amused and looked at me again and went off straight as I turn towards trinity church road

I admit i was a tad rash when overtaking him, but why on earth are buses into drag racing, and why is the slowest bus/vehicle on the fastest lane or blocking the whole road, especially when its emptiest!

Last edited by jassi : 5th August 2009 at 13:55.
Old 5th August 2009, 14:25   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
What we used to do in case of such drivers is, leaving half a road come to a an absolute stop...
This could actually be dangerous. A car at standstill cannot move which means you cannot make any evasive maneuver in case the other driver is not able to evade you completely, or if there is another vehicle following closely behind the other vehicle.

It is always better to keep the car rolling than come to a standstill.
Old 5th August 2009, 14:51   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

@Jassi, the way you decribed the incident, seemed like there was no other traffic on the road? What time of the day was it?

Also, dont repeat what you did. In their rage, these drivers dont hesitate in nudging you with their bus which can turn out to be heavy on your pocket for repairs.
Old 5th August 2009, 15:01   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

1. I stay in Bangalore, but was in Gurgaon for some official work. On my way to office, I saw a girl having breakfast in her moving maruti alto. Nothing wrong about eating in a moving car, except she was the one driving the car at that time !

Talk about multitasking.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Years ago I saw a guy in Delhi driving his Maruti Omni and having Yogurt using a spoon. I guess strange things happen.

In Bangalore I saw a guy driving and shaving using an electric shaver.

Cheers,
Old 5th August 2009, 15:05   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Jassi, the way you decribed the incident, seemed like there was no other traffic on the road? What time of the day was it?

Also, dont repeat what you did. In their rage, these drivers dont hesitate in nudging you with their bus which can turn out to be heavy on your pocket for repairs.
yeah i realized emotion and adrenaline got the better of me and these guys won't learn anything!
This was at 1045am and this stretch of road is quite long and empty except at the signals.

The point here is a lot of times when we are on an empty road with no one around as reference we do speeds which we find acceptable and yet exciting. I am sure the bus or auto waalaahs whimpering at 40 in fast lanes on empty road are feeling the same. However the important part is if your illusion of speed is not the same as someone else's then move over and let them pass, i give way all the time to faster cars. I just hate it when on an empty fast road someone forces me to overtake from left and then next person i overtake from right and then next car left and slowly i realize, that i am neither fast nor safe, but some crazy zig zagger with a loud exhaust

And then someone on tbhp might someday post a pic of me on this thread as bad driver

Last edited by jassi : 5th August 2009 at 15:06.
Old 5th August 2009, 15:18   #697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
And then someone on tbhp might someday post a pic of me on this thread as bad driver
Why dont you immediately go to the search option and search?

Who knows it may have been posted immediately after your tiff with the bus driver
Old 5th August 2009, 15:19   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
In Bangalore I saw a guy driving and shaving using an electric shaver.Cheers,
Saw a female eating groundnuts, where you need to peel the skin and eat the nuts, driving in a high speed lane at 30 kmph, blocking all the vehicles. Continuous honking and lights doesnt didter the lady. And she was using both of her hands to peel and drive. S***
Old 5th August 2009, 16:06   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Why dont you immediately go to the search option and search?

Who knows it may have been posted immediately after your tiff with the bus driver
yeah the bus drivers are on team-bhp now posting against such atrocities by santros who overtake them from the left (cos they didn't give way from right)
Old 5th August 2009, 17:23   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Saw a female eating groundnuts, where you need to peel the skin and eat the nuts, driving in a high speed lane at 30 kmph, blocking all the vehicles. Continuous honking and lights doesnt didter the lady. And she was using both of her hands to peel and drive. S***

!! I wish i could see such pictures. I am not so lucky to spot any such things in India.
Old 5th August 2009, 17:32   #701
Team-BHP Support

Eating and driving. Found a specimen doing that in Hyderabad.
In the road between Cyber Towers and Cyber Gateway.

I was so angry at that idiot, I stopped his car, took the keys and threw them on the other side of the road.
The buffoon was so confused that as he got up, he spilled all the rice in his lap.

My only regret is that he was not eating some thing with more gravy in it.
Old 5th August 2009, 17:45   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

I was so angry at that idiot, I stopped his car, took the keys and threw them on the other side of the road.
The buffoon was so confused that as he got up, he spilled all the rice in his lap.

Good Job!!! You spiced his meal.
Old 5th August 2009, 18:27   #703
BHPian

Quote:

I can understand biting into a sandwich at a really long traffic signal, but rice and stuff is too much
Old 5th August 2009, 18:35   #704
BHPian

Quote:
I am trying to imagine but it is hard even to visualize! Was he eating Indian style or Western style?
Old 5th August 2009, 20:02   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post

In Bangalore I saw a guy driving and shaving using an electric shaver.

Cheers,
This scene seems to be lifted straight out of a Govinda movie.

On a serious note, such people deserve to be shot dead on the spot.

A bit OT, what do the traffic rules have to say about people peeling groundnuts, having rice and shaving while driving ?
(Serious question, no sarcasm intended)

Rohan,
Bangalore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks