Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2010, 09:36   #826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
bad driver - unless there is an ambulance, police, fire or other emergency vehicle behind you. Following rules is more important than being courteous to those who are inclined to break rules and push you to break em too

Edit- i just realized, sometimes it may just be a judgment call where-in a driver behind you is really in an emergency and you let them go.
+10000^100000
Jumping signals without emergency is a crime which might be fatal for you or also others. If you then, fair punishment, but if others, I strongly support the belief that this should be treated as culpable homicide.

Editing - Becuase it seems I dont sound what I want to say!! I have nothing against you jassi
Replace "you" with the one who jumps signal, that include me, if I ever do so..

Last edited by MrinalSinha : 23rd January 2010 at 09:43.
Old 23rd January 2010, 13:39   #827
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that, in Chennai, signals is a learning process. They used to be routinely ignored, now many, maybe most, people stop.

It would help if the authorities told bus drivers that signals apply to them too, and the police should prosecute. Professional drivers should loose their licences. If their livelihood was at stake, it might make some of them obey the rule.
Old 23rd January 2010, 13:59   #828
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad Driver's - How do you spot 'em?

Eh, well, starting first from your own backyard ->
Go to teambhp search -> type: 160+kmph in alto, maruti 800, etc -> view results ->
see each person's profile who did these stunts at crazy speeds and filmed it while driving too -> view that person's garage hall and note down car number -> stick these numbers on your dashboard -> if you spot such a said car -> STAY AWAY!

Trust me, personal experience with such nincompoops. Reason why i back out of most team-bhp drives if safe driving people i know are not coming. I've stopped going for these drives with absolutely only new bhpians...
Old 23rd January 2010, 21:33   #829
ada
BHPian

Thats a nice one Tejas. Often I come across posts when people casually drop lines like "you know my i10 was like at 150 and overtook some mighty car, of course the driver knew how to drive". My friend on our roads and in our conditions, anything above 100 - 110 is like giving your life to another for safekeeping.
Old 23rd January 2010, 22:27   #830
Distinguished - BHPian

How to spot a bad driver in fog: If someone overtakes you and you can't see him anymore after 2 seconds, you've spotted one.

Look at what happens to a bad driver in fog: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1696751-post4520.html.
Old 25th January 2010, 00:58   #831
Senior - BHPian

bad drivers, eh? do these qualify?

1. & 2. completely choking both sides of the road to be the first to go at a railway cross new Old Madras Road.

3. is this America? take a look how long the divider is and this guy came all that distance on the wrong side and was sneering at us for not giving him way! this epidemic (driving on the wrong side) has been initiated by our own traffic police who let people come on to the right side to ease the traffic at junctions. but now, cop or not, everybody (even women!) drives on the wrong side and think its their right to do it!

4. great parking skills. even though there wasn't any other car on the right of the swift, he chose to park it diagonally (yep, that's Getz is mine ).
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_3968.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_3969.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_3970.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_4064.jpg  

Old 25th January 2010, 13:42   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

Parking skills... Another of my tirades against two-wheelers!

Riders: How long is your bike? How wide is your bike?

Right... so why must you always park the thing sticking out at right angles to the traffic, when it could be out of the way alongside the road edge? Surely it just needs a brain cell?
Old 25th January 2010, 14:53   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
bad drivers, eh? do these qualify?

1. & 2. completely choking both sides of the road to be the first to go at a railway cross new Old Madras Road.

is this the railway crossing which separates drdo phase 1 from phase 2 - i have spent painful times there!!
Old 25th January 2010, 15:07   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
is this the railway crossing which separates drdo phase 1 from phase 2 - i have spent painful times there!!
um, this is the road coming from Indian Oil (Kamanahalli) towards Old Madras Road. there's that Army area in between. once it was raining heavily and we were stuck for more than an hour, all thanks to our wonderful drivers in Bangalore choking both sides of the road (same as 1 and 2).
Old 25th January 2010, 15:16   #835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4. great parking skills. even though there wasn't any other car on the right of the swift, he chose to park it diagonally (yep, that's Getz is mine ).
Not as much a bad driver as a person with "dog in the manger" psychology.
Old 25th January 2010, 15:18   #836
Senior - BHPian

1)Anyone coming towards you when you are in the correct lane
2)Taking a wide angle turn towards left/right to the main road from the service road and blocking the whole traffic.
3)Unnecessarily honking when he is almost 100 cars behind, near a signal
4)Unnecessarily raising/keeping the vehicle in idle/"on" when the signal is showing more than 150secs top turn into green
Old 25th January 2010, 16:20   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that, in Chennai, signals is a learning process. They used to be routinely ignored, now many, maybe most, people stop.
Learning Process.!
Beg to differ Sir, You can wake up a sleeping man, not one who is acts sleeping.

- Ignoring signals,
- jumping Redlights before it turns green
- Drive-through faster with flashing headights and Blaring horn, much after it turned Red,
- Never stopping at Stoplines, sometimes stop on half of the other side road, blocking traffic,
- Slipping through if the signal is Red and there is just a little gap in the other side traffic,
- Crossing from Left extremeto for a right turn or from rithe extreme to take a 'free (!) left,
- Stopping two wheelers on bridges or narrow roads, for attending important 'telephone / SMS'

- Most pathetic of all, go to ther other side of the divider at traffic light while waiting for Red signal, blocking almost completely the opposite side traffic, causing a snake of jams upstream. This one is most common to Chennai at every traffic light. Most of these are on 2 wheelers, happily go and stand on the other side, looking blank at the oncoming driver's struggle to squeeze through,sometimes shouting at them to 'look and drive'(!). INCREDIBLE CHENNAI.

And these sorts of acts are happily executed by educated individuals as much as the cabbies or bus/truck/Auto/3 wheeler drivers.

Few times, I stopped to tell a few politely that what they do is hinderance to traffic of others and I got told in loud, Madras InggLeeSH to 'Mind My Own Business'!
Nowadays, I have learnt to be a silent spectator

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 25th January 2010 at 16:21.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:08   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl
Go to teambhp search -> type: 160+kmph in alto, maruti 800, etc -> view results ->
Do the Alto / M800 even reach 160kmph ? IMO, speeding does not really translate to bad driving. One could stick to the city limits of 40kmph and still be a bad driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
Riders: How long is your bike? How wide is your bike? Right... so why must you always park the thing sticking out at right angles to the traffic, when it could be out of the way alongside the road edge?
So true of Chennai bikers. Apart from obstructing traffic, what I can't comprehend is "don't they worry about their bike being hit by some vehicle?". That is the main thought running in my mind when I park my bike/car - park such that risk of someone banging into it is as minimal as is possible under the circumstances.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:53   #839
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
um, this is the road coming from Indian Oil (Kamanahalli) towards Old Madras Road. there's that Army area in between. once it was raining heavily and we were stuck for more than an hour, all thanks to our wonderful drivers in Bangalore choking both sides of the road (same as 1 and 2).
I presume that that's the Bypanahalli Railway crossing near Old Madras Road. That's a horrible place to be if you have a car. And you're bound to get your car scratched while trying to negotiate your way though the ruckus!
Old 25th January 2010, 17:58   #840
BHPian

ironh4wk and suhaas - ^^ i think this same track passes through kagadaspura too - looks very similar - that crossing was such that you basically take a u-turn across the railway track - the roads and the railway track were parallel to each other. Pain i tell you!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks