Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 14:38   #901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Equally, those that push the seat right up to the wheel.

I'm not absolutely sure that either are necessarily bad drivers, but it certainly indicates ignorance of some the very basic driving lessons.
I have to do this if there are passengers of above average height in the back seat - otherwise there will be no leg room for them. Space is at a premium in the back seat of an Alto!
Old 5th March 2010, 15:29   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm not absolutely sure that either are necessarily bad drivers, but it certainly indicates ignorance of some the very basic driving lessons.
+1 here. Those sitting right at the wheel, with few inches gap has no chance of looking properly at the RVM or OVRM or even through the side windows. So, they only look in front. That to some extent constitutes bad driving IMO. Check out the cabbies and Innova/Tavera drivers. Many of them sitting right in front, though they have legrooms. A habit carried forward from Amby/Fiat driving or that taught in driving school.
In fact when i took my new driving license 3 years ago, the driving school car had the seat all the way pushed to the front and that was how the instructor was sitting in the car. Like teacher - like students I suppose.
Old 5th March 2010, 15:40   #903
Senior - BHPian

I recline my seat only till the point where the steering stops interfering with my love handles
Old 5th March 2010, 15:50   #904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I have seen lots of women drivers ...
I am beginning to hope that some of you guys are just having fun with these comments.

If not, then I'm making a personal appeal for people to keep this deeply sexist comments to themselves. I believe that I am not the only one who finds them very offensive.
Old 5th March 2010, 16:09   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure whether this indicates anything of their driving style.
Quote:
I am beginning to hope that some of you guys are just having fun with these comments.

If not, then I'm making a personal appeal for people to keep this deeply sexist comments to themselves. I believe that I am not the only one who finds them very offensive.
If this is about chauvinism, well, I did not mean it. See the last sentence in my post.

I don't think my post is offensive in any respect.

When my wife started learning, this is the first thing that she did. She moved the seat very close to steering and started using. As per me, that position is highly uncomfortable and she will not be able to drive long distance in that position. I have noticed this many times on road, especially in Kerala.

I don't say that such drivers are bad. It is just that their body language is that of fear.

There is no chauvinism here. It is just my opinion. Let us agree to disagree.
Old 5th March 2010, 16:16   #906
Senior - BHPian

Those who sit very close to the steering wheel are new drivers. They do that so that they can see the hood and have a better idea of where the wheels are!

I often need to recline my seat though. Otherwise my head keeps bumping into the car's roof. No i am not a giant, only 6'3" with a turban to boot!
Old 5th March 2010, 20:16   #907
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
Our Indian Knowledge reached it peak during the vedic times. During then, the people with extreme knowledge about the earth and universe said, Women needs to stay home and assigned some works for them.
Wow. This is revolting. No where in Vedas is it stated that women needs to stay home and do the assigned work.
Incidentally, as per the atharva veda, Most of the rituals were done with a women to the side of the man. He needs to be married and the female needs to be next to him during all the rituals and rites.
I'd let me imagination run wild and say many things about women of vedic times
Kaikeyi probably was the first female mechanic. She fixed Dashrath's chariot during the war, due to which Dashrath granted her the boons.

As per Germanic mythology the Sun is female and moon is male. Incidentally, we held on to Somdev being male, but sun was also a male for us. Here's my crazy analysis. So Germans being pioneers in Automobiles, have had a female driving a chariot powered by 7 horse power . So we have excellent drivers amongst women as well.

Yep. I might sound like a nut. But then my signature says it all!
Old 5th March 2010, 22:13   #908
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
yep, that's the correct position to be in. anything closer/farther always is gonna cause a great deal of discomfort in the long run.

did you get this information when watching MEGA Factories on NatGeo - specifically the show they were showing the BMW Z4?
Not exactly. I'd read it somewhere in a blog online. But yes, I caught a bit of it in the BMW Z4 movie!

Quote:

Exactly. Negligence is something that makes a decent driver, bad. Showing signs of being lethargic while driving shows that you aren't interested in applying your mind on the road, but the destination or whatever else that it might be.
Old 5th March 2010, 23:35   #909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no chauvinism here. It is just my opinion. Let us agree to disagree.
Perhaps I was wrong to point my comment at you and your post, in which case I am sorry. I should not have made it personal --- but there has been a great deal of chauvinism, and I just reacted to seeing 'lady drivers' picked out again.

I repeat my request to my fellow members in general. Please, keep the gender bias out of all this. Whether or not it is intended to offend, it is offensive. By analogy, consider this: nobody actually intends to drive badly.
Old 5th March 2010, 23:42   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps I was wrong to point my comment at you and your post, in which case I am sorry. I should not have made it personal --- but there has been a great deal of chauvinism, and I just reacted to seeing 'lady drivers' picked out again.
It came as a surprise to me that my post conveyed a message of chauvinism. May be an error on my part there. My mistake.

This especially after my posts in the other thread on equality between men and women. Hardly 18 hours had passed since I expressed my views there. My perspective has not changed in those 9 hours of sleep and another 9 hours of being awake.
Old 6th March 2010, 00:13   #911
Distinguished - BHPian

sbraj... I put my foot in it. I guess that I've done that more than a few times, especially on forums --- usually caused by posting quickly without thinking. The old saying about engaging brain applies: I should do so before pressing Submit.

Apologies again.
Old 7th March 2010, 20:30   #912

There is one class who would go on the wrong side of the road for a number of kilometers, risking others lives just to avoid a few meters to take a U-turn and then there are interstate cab drivers who use indicators to direct from which side you are allowed to overtake( if at all they decide to let you overtake )
Old 11th March 2010, 11:59   #913
BHPian

I slightly agree that Women are worse drivers than most men are, the root of this I think lies with the RTO, while I was at the RTO standing in the line for the License, I could see around 4-5 girls/ladies behind the officer clutching their Gucci bags and getting the license without even giving a test. They would much rather not give any test because spending 1-2 hours in the sun is considered derogatory by them.

Thats not how I spot bad drivers though, most of these points must have been discussed, but here is how I steer clear of bad drivers :

1. Side view mirrors closed, this is the best way to spot a bad driver, means that the person has no view of oncoming traffic from atleast one side (depends on the position of the rear view mirror)

2. The maniac who zig zagged his way to you - Sometimes when you are checking the rear view mirror, you see this maniac who is zig zagging through the traffic and almost drives other cars off the road , stand clear and let this one pass.

3. The overtaking from left person - Some motorcyclists and cars overtake from left literally touching your car, and if you involuntarily move an inch to the left , boom. They have this unique ability to rest in your blind spot till they finally decide to come out.

4. Cabs and out of city numbers - Call center cabs are to be avoided at all costs, out of city numbers like HR xx (no offence intended) are the ones I usually avoid.

5. Autorickshaws with non functional brake lights, the closest I came to hitting an Auto from the rear was due to the non functioning brake lights.

6. Cars with rally stickers - Not all of them, but a few days ago I was almost pushed off the road and hit by a white Scorpio with 'Official' Rally stickers and also a Team BHP sticker. Team BHP sticker riders are usually pretty good though, this one was an exception. Most with rally stickers feel that the road is part of their rally track.

7. Overloaded cars - A 5 seater is called a 5 seater for a reason, usually when its stuffed with 7-8 people, its bound to cause bad driving due to distractions.

8. The cellphone talker - People who think that driving and talking on the cellphone are an ok thing to do. This should never ever be done and you are a bad driver if you do it. If the call is important, indicate and pull over to the left , put your hazard lights on, talk , put off hazard lights, put indicator to right and then rejoin traffic. It is also not OK to use a handsfree and/or loudspeaker to talk while driving. Also reading SMSes can be hazardous.
Old 11th March 2010, 12:09   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post
out of city numbers like HR xx (no offence intended) are the ones I usually avoid.
Why do you say so? Any specific pattern that you have observed?
Old 11th March 2010, 13:04   #915
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly about Bad Drivers, but i wanted to share this.

Last day I was riding my bike, it was not rush hour and somewhat in the mid-city. A commuter jeep was in front of me and was jam-packed with ladies and children in the rear. I think they were going to some temple for the 'Pongala' thing because i saw firewood and stuff and other vessels. All of a sudden, a lady sitting in the rear merrily look a can, opened it and started to pour something on the road. I was right in the back and i suddenly carved away from the falling thing. All of a sudden i hear some big bangs and thuds behind me. I was shocked to see a pile of bikers heaped on the road, 7 of them to be precise. This dumb lady has poured a big can full of 'OIL' on the road. And the jeep was a mile ahead when people were getting hurt and bruised because of that foolish womans act.

I was hell bend to have a word with them and took my bike and stopped them and called a traffic cop who was standing nearby and explained the scenario with them. She was simply saying that "I threw away the oil because it was stale and of no use to me"(No, oldie here. She is a architect in her mid 30's).

The cop had some harsh words with them and we left back to the scene and hospitalized 3 of the people who had head injuries. No legal actions though !

"When do People learn to be Responsible on the road"
Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed