Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2011, 11:11   #1576
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I once got an offending bike out and parked it in the middle of the road so I could get my car out. Fortunately the bike owner saw it and came rushing to help. I wouldn't mind dropping the bike flat onto the road (gently, so as not to break anything) and drive away.

Another irritating habit is to park the bike on the side stand where it leans to one side and takes double the width.
Old 26th February 2011, 12:41   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Another irritating habit is to park the bike on the side stand where it leans to one side and takes double the width.
Can't agree more with this. There are the idiots who would conveniently park their bikes on the side stand.
I face this problem on Saturdays when I commute to office by my bike & try locating a parking slot on the two wheeler parking area located within office premises & generally end up ruing up because of the morons who have parked their bike on the side stand due to which some bikes are parked outside the parking lot. Being a senior, I have used my authority & tried to teach the staff more than once to park the bikes/ scooters on the main (centre) stand, but all efforts go in vain in a day or two.

I have realised that the guys do it to show off their female colleagues that they too can make a style statement (sick! ) as in most of the case they have put the bike in side stand before they have stopped & the gals do not have the strength to force their scooty in centre stand.
Old 26th February 2011, 12:56   #1578
Senior - BHPian

An amusing way to handle mis-parking:

xkcd: Parking
Old 26th February 2011, 13:03   #1579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
...the gals do not have the strength to force their scooty in centre stand.
Does it take so much effort to put a scooty in the centre-stand? My mom always does that without anyone's help. She's 52 btw. However, she can't push the scooty all by herself up the incline (maybe 10 degree slope, for ~2m) into our garage
Old 26th February 2011, 13:04   #1580
BHPian

I hate bike riders who try to ride their bikes in the middle of the road/the middle line when cars on both the sides are caught in a traffic jam and the worst thing is they hit your RVM in the process, really feel like getting out of my car and these guys but got to keep quiet because of all the witnesses
Old 26th February 2011, 13:19   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
I hate bike riders who try to ride their bikes in the middle of the road/the middle line
That's an unwritten rule (similar to driving/riding on the wrong side with HLs on)- the lane markings are not actually there for that. They're like the lines on a runway, where the wheels have to be be perfectly aligned with the line
Old 26th February 2011, 18:13   #1582
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I hate being in a position where I have to handle a bike. Don't laugh, but I simply don't know how! I have never been a 2-wheeler person. I am just afraid the thing will fall over, maybe on top of me, and I won't be able to pick it up again.

The last time someone did this to me with a scooter, it had all sorts of locks and, even with help, was really hard to shift. That was in London, too, not India. But hey, it was next-door to Archway Murugan temple
+1
Even i dont know how to handle a bike! I still cant figure out which part of the bike to hold to move it around. A couple of occasions a bike was parked right next to the driver's side door!
Once when i returned back to my car after a haircut, all i could see was my car being surrounded by 5 bikes which were parked really close to the bumpers and doors. Parents had come to pick up their kids from school and had parked their bikes wherever they could! Struggled for 5mins & moved the bike towards the centre of the road!
Old 26th February 2011, 19:50   #1583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wouldn't mind dropping the bike flat onto the road (gently, so as not to break anything) and drive away.
The petrol tank cap of a motor cycle has a small pipe in it. This allows air to enter the tank and prevent a vacuum lock. If a bike is laid down then depending on the amount of fuel in the tank, petrol will flow out.

The carburetter of bike usually contains petrol. There is an overflow pipe. Petrol in the carb will usually flow out if the bike is laid down.

If a bike is lying down for some time and a smoker comes by...the smoker will not be worried about cancer during his old age.

The battery of most bikes is the wet type. The acid water will usually fall on the road. This is true for older bikes.

Also most bikes weight close to a 100 kilos or more. Some bikes weight over a 150 kilos. It is not easy lifting a bike.
Old 26th February 2011, 21:24   #1584
Senior - BHPian

^ that's useful information mate! thanks!

no prizes for guessing it right!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_8209.jpg
Old 27th February 2011, 00:15   #1585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The petrol tank cap of a motor cycle has a small pipe in it. This allows air to enter the tank and prevent a vacuum lock. If a bike is laid down then depending on the amount of fuel in the tank, petrol will flow out.

The carburetter of bike usually contains petrol. There is an overflow pipe. Petrol in the carb will usually flow out if the bike is laid down.

If a bike is lying down for some time and a smoker comes by...the smoker will not be worried about cancer during his old age.

The battery of most bikes is the wet type. The acid water will usually fall on the road. This is true for older bikes.

Also most bikes weight close to a 100 kilos or more. Some bikes weight over a 150 kilos. It is not easy lifting a bike.
That's very informative. I shall make sure to lower the bikes gently so as not to sprain my back.

Seriously, bikers have become the single largest community with a total disregard to the inconvenience they cause to the other road users.

Old 27th February 2011, 10:45   #1586
Team-BHP Support

@honeybee:
There are bad drivers, there are good drivers.
There are good riders and bad riders.

Quote:
That's very informative. I shall make sure to lower the bikes gently so as not to sprain my back.

Would love to see you try something like that with a car.
Old 27th February 2011, 13:50   #1587
BHPian

Most motorcycles come with handlebar lock (something equivalent to your steering lock) and when you need to move them, lift their rear part and move if they are placed in the center stand. If they are in side stand ( they will lean to one side), push them a few feet in a circle.

Most 100/125 cc motorcycles don't weigh more than 80 k usually.

Enfield Bullet motorcycle is probably one of the few motorcycles which weigh around 160 k.

I owned and rode a Bullet for years. You need to manhandle the 2 wheelers when they are parked close to each other like sardines. That experience helps me now when my car is hemmed in by them.
Old 27th February 2011, 14:11   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Most 100/125 cc motorcycles don't weigh more than 80 k usually.

Enfield Bullet motorcycle is probably one of the few motorcycles which weigh around 160 k.
my KB125 weighed 100kg+, while my CBZ weighed in at 140kg. Enfield Bullet weighs around 184kg.
Old 27th February 2011, 15:06   #1589
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted earlier. Was lazy to go through the entire thread.

Imagine you are going on a two lane highway (for Punekars Wakad to Chandni Cowk). The left lane is occupied by two wheelers. The right lane has cars following in a straight line with no space to overtake. The moron behind you keeps flashing the headlights. I am not sure what is the expectation. I find this habit very irrirtating and stupid. Folks please educate me in case i am missing something here.
Old 27th February 2011, 15:08   #1590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Not sure if this has been posted earlier. Was lazy to go through the entire thread.

Imagine you are going on a two lane highway (for Punekars Wakad to Chandni Cowk). The left lane is occupied by two wheelers. The right lane has cars following in a straight line with no space to overtake. The moron behind you keeps flashing the headlights. I am not sure what is the expectation. I find this habit very irrirtating and stupid. Folks please educate me in case i am missing something here.
umm... could be a BHPian trying to get your attention?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks