Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 11:50   #1456
Senior - BHPian

@sunishsamuel:
I agree to most of the points you've mentioned.

Last year, in my hometown, a doctor was teaching his wife how to drive. She ran over a daily wage worker and he died on the spot. From what I heard, the doctor and wife have been booked on multiple offences, including driving without license, taking driving lessons after dusk, speeding, etc in addition to murder.

About Volvo and Merc imparting training to drivers, it's more of a marketing gimmick than something substantial. AFAIK, Leyland also trains drivers. But the number of Leyland/Tata buses is much much higher than the trained drivers, while almost all Volvo buses have Volvo-trained drivers.

When ego creeps in, sense goes out. Result, bad drivers.
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:11   #1457
Team-BHP Support

I am commuting.

There are 3 SUV's going at a steady pace inside city confines.

Honk and give them the flasher (today around 7pm) and within 1/2km, I pass two of them, but stuck behind the 3rd.

Why?

The moron had his RVM's folded, somehow passed and straightened his mirrors and pointed him to use it. (no, didn't give him the mid-finger)

It was damn funny. (Hope I am not a bad rider, but sorry, couldn't help it)
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:14   #1458
Senior - BHPian

On the highway they will be in between lanes and the white broken line on the road will be passing between the 2 tyres. Thats bad driving. Stick to either of the lanes why use both.
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:35   #1459
Team-BHP Support

I had an encounter with an absolute dimwit yesterday.

I was driving towards Domalur on Airport Road at about 4:30 pm, and I wasn't too far away from the Leela Hotel/Manipal Hospital signal. All the cars on the road at that given time were following lane-discipline. All but one.

I was right behind a yellow bus that was going pretty decently on the right lane and behind me was a trail of cars. I was very impressed. Everyone was using their indicators to switch lanes when needed. Behind me was a silver Swift that tried to overtake me from the left initially but realized that it would be a stupid move to do so because the left lane was constantly blocked because of some autorickshaw or the other always parked on the side of the road waiting for prospective passengers. The Swift guy realized that it would be stupid for him to try stunts and switch lanes as he would get blocked and pushed behind the crowd.

But behind him was a bright-green Chevy Beat that was trying to make his way through. First, he overtook the Swift and found his way next to my car on the left lane. And because their were cars and autorickshaws parked on the left side, he couldn't make his way past the bus in front of me.

He kept pushing me and I almost found myself clipping the divider a few times! I backed off and let him pass me and the bus in front of him when the left lane freed up. And in a few seconds, he disappeared.

Approximately 10 seconds after overtaking the bus, it happened!

I knew for a fact that it was coming! The bus driver in front of me had to literally step on the brakes! And I'm sure it was because of a stupid stunt that the Beat guy tried to pull-off in front of him. Since I kept quite a lot of distance between the bus and my car, I had enough and more time to react. But I had to hit the brakes pretty hard too! I glanced at my rear-view-mirror to make sure that the Swift behind me wasn't caught by surprise!

I was miffed.

And to the Beat guy: Dude, your driving etiquette needs some serious brushing-up. And honestly, it doesn't help when you drive a bright-green car, especially since you can't understand basic driving etiquette.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:02   #1460
BHPian

Guess the Domlur inner ring road is known for frustrated drivers. At sony world signal waiting for green, spotted a white SX4, guy was so frustrated and hurrying (possibly to relieve himself, having a bad stomach or had a not so good night at home) Every second he was going from one end of the road to another trying to find way and honking to glory. Thought he might have some emergency and let him go.

He sped as much possible till he crossed the sony world signal after which he was driving at snail's pace even though the stretch for next one km was free. Ah i wish i could just spend some time with him !

And i guess all auto, indica, sumo drivers have a phobia the moment a car appears in front of them. They would be driving slow with no intention to overtake or gain speed, but would keep honking honking honking till the car in front disappears. When i hear the honking, i pull to the left and signal them to go, and most of the time, they will not overtake but continue at snail's pace. But the moment i happen to be in front of their car again, they start honking again. May be I can think of researching on this and get a phd
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:51   #1461
Senior - BHPian

A hoard of Bad Drivers?

I was waiting for a bus at Jayanthi bus stop on LB Road, when I saw a red and yellow MTC bus with a prominently displayed L board on the front glass. There were 10-15 khaki clad men inside and one huge man in white shirt with some badge, sitting just behind the driver, on a raised seat.

The bus was coming from TIDEL Park side, and turned left on to LB road. Though it had to turn left, it was on the inner lane, and then cut across to the outer lane after completing the turn. Then, back to the inner lane on LB road. From the engine note, I understood that the driver was lugging - typical of MTC drivers.

No signals - either using his hands, or the indicator lights. I did notice that the bus had the indicator stalk in place, and lights looked new and clean.

I doubt if the driver had seen the signal at all, fortunately it was green

Did I mention that the driver had his right hand on the horn lever?

This is how MTC trains its drivers
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:24   #1462
BHPian

Yesterday, I was returning home my office on my two wheeler. I was on the service road and was doing around 40-50 Km/Hr. Suddenly, one Bolero ( or was it a Qualis ? ) which was parked on the road till then turned right and started to move. As a result, my bike was just behind it and i had to brake hard to avoid hitting it. Before I could shout at the driver, I realised it was a police vehicle. I wondered why the driver didn't see me before turning into the road. I then noticed that there was no rear view mirror. Seems like it was broken in some incident ( no wonder seeing how it was being driven ) .
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:42   #1463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post

He sped as much possible till he crossed the sony world signal after which he was driving at snail's pace even though the stretch for next one km was free. Ah i wish i could just spend some time with him !
Maybe he finished off his business in the car thats why he slowed down.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:10   #1464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
... spotted a white SX4, guy was so frustrated and hurrying (possibly to relieve himself, having a bad stomach or had a not so good night at home) ... Thought he might have some emergency and let him go.

I hope you didn't really mean the last line Just imagine...

Well there are such morons, God save them!
Old 4th December 2010, 10:05   #1465
BHPian

My 2 cents:

* Any yellow plated vehicle ( especially Indicas);
* Bikers ( far far too many in pune! and they drive really recklessly);
* ST Buses;
* Construction ( and other) trucks.
* Ladies driving with an 'L' board ( no offence meant here! Its just a practical problem I have experienced time and again - scrapped my car on more than one occasion.)
Old 14th December 2010, 13:39   #1466
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz_303 View Post
My 2 cents:

* Any yellow plated vehicle ( especially Indicas);
* Bikers ( far far too many in pune! and they drive really recklessly);
* ST Buses;
* Construction ( and other) trucks.
* Ladies driving with an 'L' board ( no offence meant here! Its just a practical problem I have experienced time and again - scrapped my car on more than one occasion.)
+1 to that.
An addition - the green & orange garbage trucks/tempo's in Mumbai. these monstrous poorly maintained beasts, driven by drivers from out of state are another nusiance..

Cheers!
S
Old 14th December 2010, 14:48   #1467
BHPian

I recently had two instances where a Tata Sumo Cab came and hit the rear of my car. First case, there was no sudden braking involved. The car infront of me slowed down for taking a turn. I also slowed down behind him, and immediately a Sumo which was coming in this lane wanted to just jump over to the other lane came and scraped the back of my car. Rear lamp broken and scratch on the side of the bumper for my Zen.

Second case, with my Punto in old airport road near Domlur in Bangalore. A car infront hit a sudden break. I was quite far behind and so I also braked but not that sudden. Next thing I hear is a BANG and this stupid Sumo cab behind me came and hit straight on my rear bumper. The Sumo driver this time, just fled from the scene by driving more rashly in that traffic.

Both these cases, I was sad to see that the Sumo which comes and hits will not have any damage due to its huge metal crash guard in the front. I get this feeling that due to this feature of Sumo that these drivers are totally careless in driving. They come so close behind the vehicles infront that hitting is obvious in case of a sudden braking.
Old 14th December 2010, 16:57   #1468
Senior - BHPian

I have to make a 90-degree left turn from the main road to get to (the road leading to) my apartment building. It's a small road which goes downhill and it's slightly difficult to spot - especially at night. I always take extreme care when making the turn - I put on my indicator atleast 30m ahead of the turn, brake slowly and steadily approaching the turn etc. Since it's a tight turn, I cannot keep hugging the left side of the road. I have to leave a bit of space on my LHS before making the turn. What I am always afraid of is some moron on a bike trying to overtake me on the LHS when I'm trying to make the turn. And on Friday night, that moron appeared. He was clearly behind me when I put on my indicator. When I started braking, he moved to my left and overtook me. Anyway, he made me miss my turn. Good for him (and me) that I was watching my mirrors - so no damage done.
Old 14th December 2010, 16:58   #1469
BHPian

Bad Drivers are those who have the Fog lamps on even if there is no FOG anywhere around and they are driving in the well lit city roads.
And almost 60% of the sedans i saw had them On on any given night.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:22   #1470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bad Drivers are those who have the Fog lamps on
There can be a good reason. Because fog lights point down on the road close in front of the car, they are very useful for spotting pot holes etc. The downward illumination also means that, unlike full-beam, they should not be a problem for other drivers. I do this regularly, but not to the point of leaving them on, and I don't use them on good and/or well-lit roads.

In UK, fog lights means high-intensity rear light will be on as well. Quite a few people, when turning the lights on, just turn the knob as far as it will go. Imagine having to follow someone with a red light about twice as bright as a brake light!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks