Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2011, 08:54   #1621
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Many years back, when I was travelling in a BEST bus, we were in front of the Powai Market, stopped at a redlight. The other lane, travelling from IIT to Gandhinagar had also stopped, while an Indicab driver had managed to rush ahead just in the nick of time (as several bad drivers do at red lights), just to find that the bus ahead of him had stopped. Since he had accelerated hard to jump the red light, he couldn't brake in time and the car kissed the behind of the bus. Needless to say it left a huge mark on the car's bonnet.
Old 5th March 2011, 10:55   #1622
Senior - BHPian

I hope this has not been shared, if not, do look at it. Its a video by Bangalore City police containing clips taken from various CCTV's cams placed at traffic junctions. Here we can see some basic skills of our road Yamraj's who help in reducing the fast growing population of our country!! Iam startled by the skills they possess and techniques they invent to have a accident!

Login | Facebook

P.S: Couldn't find the video from google so just posted the FBlink. I guess it will ask for one's FB login.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitsuresh View Post
It is worse here in Chennai. When you are apply brakes for a red signal and someone rear ends you... They blame you for braking!!!
+1 to it! and especially if you are biker and a MTC is behind you, he will honk you to death, if its a cabbie or any other yellow plate vehicle, you are sure to have your ancestors abused. Normally, I hear people say that we would follow rules if and only if we had less number of vehicles on road. But on the contrary, I reply to them that, the numbers does not matter untill the individual decides to follow rules no matter how dense the traffic be. Most of the time its not the density that causes confusion rather, its the hapazard driving manners that causes mayham and chaos. Finally, it all comes down to the attitude of the person behind the wheels and its in India that we feel why should we let the other man pass? we are brought up from childhood in a manner where we have to be competitive for everything, right from the marks we score till the free television that we get! No matter how much we have, it is still not enough for us.

Things will change only if this attitude goes away from us. It is infact disheartening to see that this attitude has caught up with the current gen. family men too. Though they work in big glass housed offices, at the heart they still feel low on self confidence and want to overtake others. They work in European or American way but still we tend to work overtime, have the "Chalega" attitude which inturn reflects on the road too. This has got nothing to do with the RTO or roads. It has all got to do with one's thought process.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 5th March 2011 at 12:10. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:13   #1623
Senior - BHPian

bad parkers

I had been to Shoppers Stop on Bannerghatta road on both days of the weekend.
On Saturday, i came across this, which i thought was a pretty bad example of parking. Notice how both the Hyundais are using up space for 3 cars
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-parking-1.jpg

Little did i know that the next day, i will see a bigger example of bad parking:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-parking-3.jpg

Old 7th March 2011, 12:03   #1624
BHPian

Yesterday, I was manoeuvering (via parallel parking) into a parking slot between line of bikes and another car. Out of nowhere, this guy on an activa comes and parks adjacent to the bikes in such a way that it became very difficult for me to continue.

Wifey had to step down and talk to him before he parked sensibly (and grudgingly). I'm sure if I had that conversation, it would be a different one. Score 1 for lady power and 0 for moronic riders.
Old 7th March 2011, 13:52   #1625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Yesterday, I was manoeuvering (via parallel parking) into a parking slot between line of bikes and another car. Out of nowhere, this guy on an activa comes and parks adjacent to the bikes in such a way that it became very difficult for me to continue.

Wifey had to step down and talk to him before he parked sensibly (and grudgingly). I'm sure if I had that conversation, it would be a different one. Score 1 for lady power and 0 for moronic riders.
It's quite common for bikers to simply park their bikes right in the spot where you are trying to park your car, even though they can see you are trying to park there. I have even seen a few car drivers try to pull that stupid move. I pity their brains (or lack thereof).
Old 7th March 2011, 14:35   #1626
Distinguished - BHPian

It's hard to be certain about cars badly parked in marked spaces. Unless one actually sees the person parking, we don't know that the fault might have been with the vehicle[s] they had to adjust to.

There was a lovely TV Comedy sketch years back. In UK, we are used to spending hours searching for spaces in busy supermarket carpaks, while spaces marked reserved for disabled, shoppers with children, elephants, etc, remain empty. of course, not all respect the rules, and in the sketch we see a young guy driving a big car into a car park. Oh yeah, we think, as we see the disabled, etc, places, but he drives past them! Finaly, we see a satisfied look on his face, and, as he parks his car, the camera zooms out to see that it is diagonally across three spaces, and a sign reads Reserved for selfish *******s!

Oh well... it was a visual joke. You had to be there. Hope I managed to give some of the humour!

EDIT... Oh, I see the system censors mildly rude words. Didn't intend to break rules! <Blush>

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th March 2011 at 14:37.
Old 7th March 2011, 14:50   #1627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's hard to be certain about cars badly parked in marked spaces. Unless one actually sees the person parking, we don't know that the fault might have been with the vehicle[s] they had to adjust to.
True, but where do you draw the line ?

Both these snaps were taken early in the day and there was no lack of parking space at that time. So, if they were adjusting, they could have easily found a spot that required no such adjustments.
Old 7th March 2011, 15:25   #1628
BHPian

Re: bad parkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
On Saturday, i came across this, which i thought was a pretty bad example of parking. Notice how both the Hyundais are using up space for 3 cars
Attachment 513142
Relating to first image:
In the US, especially in out of the city outlet malls with plenty of parking, I've seen blinged up autos parked with the solid line slam down the middle. I realized that the owner wanted to ensure doors of adjacent cars, especially coupes with their longer doors, do not bang and put a scratch on his ride. Sensible decision or bad driver?
Old 7th March 2011, 15:29   #1629
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 513142
Regarding this picture, I think the Dezire guys is the root cause. isn't he parked too close to the yellow line on the left?
Old 7th March 2011, 15:37   #1630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Regarding this picture, I think the Dezire guys is the root cause. isn't he parked too close to the yellow line on the left?
My thoughts exactly. The DZire guy has parked his vehicle over the yellow line forcing the others to keep the offset.
Old 7th March 2011, 15:53   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
My thoughts exactly. The DZire guy has parked his vehicle over the yellow line forcing the others to keep the offset.
Dzire is on the line. Not as much over the line as the i10. Had the i10 reversed into its parking slot, it could have stayed within the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Relating to first image:
In the US, especially in out of the city outlet malls with plenty of parking, I've seen blinged up autos parked with the solid line slam down the middle. I realized that the owner wanted to ensure doors of adjacent cars, especially coupes with their longer doors, do not bang and put a scratch on his ride. Sensible decision or bad driver?
Paranoid drivers.
Old 7th March 2011, 16:12   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Dzire is on the line. Not as much over the line as the i10. Had the i10 reversed into its parking slot, it could have stayed within the lines.

How much space does that leave the i10 to open his door (passenger door in case he reversed into the slot)?

Just wondering, is there an empty space between two slots?

Last edited by sanjaykk : 7th March 2011 at 16:23.
Old 7th March 2011, 16:23   #1633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much space does that leave him to open his door (passenger door in case he reversed into the slot)?

Just wondering, is there an empty space between two slots?
When moving into a tight spot, i normally ask my passengers to get down first, before parking the car. Problem solved.
Old 7th March 2011, 16:36   #1634
Senior - BHPian

I also used to make sure that I left just enough gap between two cars. But my side passenger side front door is littered with tiny dents thanks to drivers who park and just push the door out unmindful of the car parked on their right hand side. All this happened when I was well within the parking box.
Old 7th March 2011, 16:40   #1635
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I also used to make sure that I left just enough gap between two cars. But my side passenger side front door is littered with tiny dents thanks to drivers who park and just push the door out unmindful of the car parked on their right hand side. All this happened when I was well within the parking box.
I hate that when it happens. People are so inconsiderate that even if you are sitting in the car & waiting, they still don't stop. Call me sexist or whatever, but the aunties do this more often.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks