Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 19:34   #3121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
See, if you see it "late", it means you just drive over it - no other choice there.
Looking at the pic i don't think the Dzire fellow must have seen the crater late. Innova is seen already moving to the left to avoid the crater and not come in the way of on coming traffic. Dzire fellow must have seen the crater with the road clear in the straight line. But the Dzire cab seems to be in a great deal of hurry.
Old 16th November 2011, 19:58   #3122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Looking at the pic i don't think the Dzire fellow must have seen the crater late. Innova is seen already moving to the left to avoid the crater and not come in the way of on coming traffic. Dzire fellow must have seen the crater with the road clear in the straight line. But the Dzire cab seems to be in a great deal of hurry.
your interpretation is correct, with a slight twist. the M800 (in front of the Innova), the Innova and me are in a straight line. the M800 has slowed down to deal with the crater and the rest of us are waiting in line to deal with it. the DZire guy gets impatient; after a lot of honking he just swerves right and takes off.

a Swift guy did the very same thing, but i couldn't get him in time. the DZire guy was just asking for it
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 21:12   #3123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
This is a case of both bad driver and bad passengers. The guy was driving like a lunatic with abrupt lane changes, hitting crazy speeds, honking mindlessly. The passengers were hanging out dangerously (there were already around 40-50 passengers inside) and were enjoying the ride thoroughly.

Attachment 839332
This is a common scene, and these guys hanging on to the truck think they are doing something heroic. The cops keep stopping them, but 50rs, does the trick of escaping law. An illegal act !

I once saw such a truck in front of me going crazy (probably show off with some village belles standing on the loading bay) and toppling near penukonda. It was a scary and painful scene. Suddenly there is cries and blood and the driver managed to run off ! If i see such lunatic trucks on the road, i keep a 1km distance, even if that means i have to slow down.
Old 17th November 2011, 18:28   #3124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
See, if you see it "late", it means you just drive over it - no other choice there. My point is there is no justifying a crater on a road meant for driving. His action due to the presence of that comes later - the crater is the 1st thing to be blamed. Does someone driving in the US/EU expect such a crater to pop up suddenly on the road ? Would they even be capable of handling it properly, if they suddenly come across one ?

To get a better idea of how the road is important & how the crater is an issue here, imagine yourself on a bike. You are on your lane and suddenly you find a huge crater in your path. If you jump in it, there is no saying how you will come out. If you avoid it, you could be hit by a vehicle in the adjoining lane. So you are damned if you do, damned if you dont. Is the biker to blame here or the road ?

We definitely need to avoid bad driving, but blaming drivers for what people in most countries take for granted is stretching it a bit too much.

The pic is taken off the IRVM and of traffic behind IronHawk. The biker is on the fast lane riding slowly like so many of them do on the IT Corridor in Chennai.

With cars being driven B2B in our cities, try slowing down to take the crater carefully and you will find a crater on the rear of your car. I dont think that is even an option in a scenario of fast-moving traffic.
Plenty of craters in US at least -- not on main highways though.
Old 17th November 2011, 21:56   #3125
Senior - BHPian

Saw this biker yesterday. The pillion is holding an aluminium ladder.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver.jpg
This guy has left his headlamps on and gone. parked in a No parking zone.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-2.jpg
Old 18th November 2011, 10:54   #3126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This guy has left his headlamps on and gone. parked in a No parking zone.
Don't you know one of the unwritten traffic rules of India?

"If you keep your headlights ON, you can do whatever you want on the roads".

Old 18th November 2011, 12:08   #3127
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read our rules before proceeding any further.

One worse type of drivers are the ones that park their cars at a blind corner. You slam and screech your brakes at the last moment - for the lucky ones, else clip your sides

And even worse, the ones that park near median openings. So you end up doing N number of reverse maneuvers. A pretty bad sight if you are trying to turn a SUV in a heavy traffic with 2 wheelers not giving you a chance to clear off.

You end up wishing that what you drive was a rusty jeep so that you can scrape away that idiots' side.

Last edited by GTO : 19th November 2011 at 14:42. Reason: Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read our rules before proceeding any further.
Old 18th November 2011, 12:23   #3128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Don't you know one of the unwritten traffic rules of India?

"If you keep your headlights ON, you can do whatever you want on the roads".

wonder where Spitfire is these days. haven't seen him around

btw, saw this idiot at office as i was heading to the parking lot. there was a traffic cone kept to mark the no parking zone. this Alto driver (chauffeur) stops the car, takes out the cone, parks the car (half of it protruding into the walking path) and then keeps the cone next to his car!! he wanted to park the car under the shade of the tree!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20111118_102454.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20111118_102511.jpg

a female employee of my company was sitting at the back and i didn't see her say one word to the driver to not to park the car there! just goes to show selfish and self centered people are!

Old 18th November 2011, 12:38   #3129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele
Dzire fellow must have seen the crater with the road clear in the straight line. But the Dzire cab seems to be in a great deal of hurry.
He is indeed driving badly by getting onto the lane of oncoming traffic, as I mentioned in my 1st post on this - no excusing him for that. I was just mentioning that we in India have other handicaps to deal with on the road, which others dont have to deal with.

Another of my pet peeves is the lack of lane markings. When driving on a road with no markings, most of us here would mentally divide the road into lanes and stick to the one that we should be using. But when we come across another driver who is not doing this, we get wild. But before faulting him, should we not think that if lanes were painted, a good %age of them would stick to it. Not everyone bothers doing mental division of roads into lanes and they need not - these are basic stuff to be provided by the authorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts
One worse type of drivers are the ones that park their cars at a blind corner. You slam and screech your brakes at the last moment
Indeed bad parking. But if you have to slam and screech at the last moment, you are driving too fast for a "blind turn".
Old 18th November 2011, 17:17   #3130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Have I got this completely wrong? The biker is on the left, where he should be if he is not overtaking. Isn't the mini-truck the offender in this pic?
It's in the MIRROR! The biker is actually in the fast lane

Not your day, Thad!
Old 19th November 2011, 01:12   #3131
Distinguished - BHPian

Just as I had dusted myself down...

Yes noopster, I have been, err ...enlightened about this one. but thanks, anyway
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 07:50   #3132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
guy is driving slowly on the right most lane and blocking traffic behind him.
this guy trying a dangerous overtaking maneuver, but to avoid the big pothole, he's going to extreme right
There are a lot of such idiotic bikers in Kerala too. They never understandand in fact thinks it is the way to ride. On single lanes also they ride through the extreme right. Many bike accidents are attributed to this kind of riding. To enter a branch road these guys come to the wrong lane and enter the side road on its right side; just like in countries who practice right hand side driving.
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:10   #3133
BHPian

All those who drive from '@Home' towards Prestige Tech Park, facing the oncoming traffic and with no regard to Lives and/ or Rules. This list includes two-wheelers, cabs, 4-wheelers and a KA regd White Swift running plates 7210 and sporting TBhp stickers.

Yeah and they have an excuse - the service roads are non-existent; Imbeciles!
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:55   #3134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
btw, saw this idiot at office as i was heading to the parking lot. there was a traffic cone kept to mark the no parking zone. this Alto driver (chauffeur) stops the car, takes out the cone, parks the car (half of it protruding into the walking path) and then keeps the cone next to his car!! he wanted to park the car under the shade of the tree!
Looks like the HP(digital park, EC-1) parking lot ? If yes there are umpteen such retards who absolutely have no sense when it comes to parking. Used to work from that campus for close to 3 yrs and have had my fair share of experiences with some dudes even indulging in parallel parking.

Edit

Another classic example of a murderous driver. Check this video : https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=189276944489758 posted by the BTP guys. I wonder if they even bothered to track down the M800 which sped away.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 23rd November 2011 at 13:05.
Old 23rd November 2011, 13:18   #3135
BHPian

And what pleasure does one get by doing this? This is the the height of insanity!

Source: Delhi Traffic Police FB page.

Last edited by prateekm : 23rd November 2011 at 13:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks