Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 11:59   #3166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
As for turning the wheels, i think its advisable to turn the wheels only when parking on a slope and that too in such a way that if the car rolls, then the direction of the wheels takes the car into the kerb and not the traffic.
You are right. Thats what is also mentioned in the 2nd point in picture above (leave the wheels steered) except for the direction of steer.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 12:36   #3167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
As far as the second picture is concerned, I've seen a lot a people developing this habit of turning the wheels towards the road

Your comments guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Thats really something!!..

...and not the traffic.
The wheels kept turned towards the road is indeed a bad habit. I've seen many people practice it. But 95% of the time, I think this can be attributed to sheer laziness! Others just make up excuses to cover up their laziness. And if it is indeed true, that the wheel is kept turned towards traffic for the purpose of protecting the car, then it's something that I am yet to understand. It's mere stupidity, IMO.

No offense to anyone.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:13   #3168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
For the first pic, it looks like there were 2 cars in the empty spaces. Due to someones incorrect parking all the rest had to adjust optimally
Actually all 3 cars were not there. That is the reserved parking for planet ford. But first, the ikon at the rights zooms into the place. Next, a minute later, the white figo at the left comes in a similar manner. Both were driven by planet ford drivers. The alto was the last one to come, and he just parked the car and walked away. The person behind the Alto was also taking pics. So I deduce he must be the security person of planet ford, who would have got the Alto removed in a short while. All the action happened in a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The asnwer I got "If somebody comes close, he'll only hit the tyre and may be bounce away and will not scratch the car" I was like

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The wheels kept turned towards the road is indeed a bad habit. I've seen many people practice it. But 95% of the time, I think this can be attributed to sheer laziness!
Yes, after parking between 2 cars, most people do not bother to turn back the steering to the straight position. But more than the turned wheel, the car is very near to the centre strip, which makes it all the more possible for someone to rear-end the car. There were no lights at all on the street which makes the situation worse.
Old 25th November 2011, 15:58   #3169
Distinguished - BHPian

"Leaving the wheels steered," as that manual so badly puts it, is something we have whole threads about. Yes, it is correct and proper to do so on hills. Of flat ground, it looks sloppy, but I don't think any worse of it: it's just a few inches, not a lot more than the wing mirror. Nobody should be that close to the car anyway.
Old 25th November 2011, 17:03   #3170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
"Leaving the wheels steered," as that manual so badly puts it, is something we have whole threads about. Yes, it is correct and proper to do so on hills. Of flat ground, it looks sloppy, but I don't think any worse of it: it's just a few inches, not a lot more than the wing mirror. Nobody should be that close to the car anyway.
Come to Srinagara in Bangalore Sir, you'll never again say that the vehicles should not be that close to one another.
Let alone parking, just to drive around in some roads, you need to fold your car's mirrors when another car approaches

You must have seen many such roads in chennai.
For that matter all over India, there exists many things that should actually not be there

OT, One of my collegues likes the look of a car when it is turned it seems. He thinks that this black car owner might also like it that way and hence...
Old 25th November 2011, 17:20   #3171
Distinguished - BHPian

It's true that things are not as they should be: thus we have this thread!
Old 27th November 2011, 00:07   #3172
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th November 2011 at 13:55.
simkuriakose is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th November 2011, 10:47   #3173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Exactly. Nobody should be that close to the car.

OT: But most of the crowded car parks in places like Tnagar, GT, I don't know how people park their cars so close - they may make sardines green with envy.
I don't take my car to such places. I park miles away and take an auto.
Old 27th November 2011, 12:42   #3174
BHPian

I have had these mirror-to-mirror swipes with passing cars so many times in crowded, narrow streets that I dont bother with them at all now. Roll down the window, push the mirror back into position and drive on. Its almost like cars doing hi-fives with each other :-).
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 15:50   #3175
Senior - BHPian

If its of any significane, the MUV (typically innova's, makes no difference if white or yellow board) and SUV's (My experience Scorpio guys) bully me everytime i happen to be ahead of them and i don't drive a hatchback on the highways. No offence meant to any of the owners here, i've also come across drivers who know how to respect or give way to a faster vehicle, whether big or small, but unfortunately most of these guys on highways tailgate you very closely (like in the city) honk and flash lights till they get way. They don't give a damn if you're in the middle of an overtake maneuver yourself. If he's behind you, your nuisance to him and blocking his way, Period!

Also, a lot of Volvo's bully cars or just any other vehicle on road. My experience on NH-206 with KSRTC volvo's was the same, you can flash lights and honk like how you want. They simply don't care.
Old 27th November 2011, 15:54   #3176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
If its of any significane, the MUV (typically innova's, makes no difference if white or yellow board) and SUV's (My experience Scorpio guys) bully me everytime i happen to be ahead of them and i don't drive a hatchback on the highways. No offence meant to any of the owners here, i've also come across drivers who know how to respect or give way to a faster vehicle, whether big or small, but unfortunately most of these guys on highways tailgate you very closely (like in the city) honk and flash lights till they get way. They don't give a damn if you're in the middle of an overtake maneuver yourself. If he's behind you, your nuisance to him and blocking his way, Period!
Most people in India lack basic highway etiquette. They see no difference, when driving @ 20 km/h in the city, or 100 km/h on the highway. And worst of all, they think they're in complete command over the situation, when, in all probability, it's just the opposite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Also, a lot of Volvo's bully cars or just any other vehicle on road. My experience on NH-206 with KSRTC volvo's was the same, you can flash lights and honk like how you want. They simply don't care.
My advice? Stay about 10-15 cars lengths behind him, and he will make a way for you. And he will have to eventually stop, right?
Old 27th November 2011, 18:25   #3177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most people in India lack basic highway etiquette. They see no difference, when driving @ 20 km/h in the city, or 100 km/h on the highway. And worst of all, they think they're in complete command over the situation, when, in all probability, it's just the opposite!
True. I've never driven a Scorpio, but i don't think its exactly very safe at speeds above 100+ with a high CG, these owners push it to its limits, something i don't think i'll attempt even in my Octy.

Quote:
My advice? Stay about 10-15 cars lengths behind him, and he will make a way for you. And he will have to eventually stop, right?
They will stop, yes. The driver i encountered was seriously mad! I went past him in a town since he'd stopped, god only knows what happened to him when he saw i was ahead of him. In the narrow roads he tried his best to push me off the road, when i didn't budge an inch he completely lost it. Next, when there was a huge hump i slowed down to crawling speeds, this guy came on my right COMPLETELY blocking a Fabia's way coming in the opposite direction just to overtake me!

Even on other highways like Blore-tirupati NH-4, i've seen Volvo's care a damn about other vehicles on road,
Old 27th November 2011, 18:51   #3178
Senior - BHPian

Venue: Lake Homes, Powai plaza

This is a private residential area & the road is quite narrow, as shown in the pic below. Please excuse the lame attempt.

1) The blue blocks are the cars of the residents parked on both sides. Green blocks are cars going in one direction & the orange block is my car going in the opposite direction. The red block is a Scorpio guy. Look at the way he has parked with more than 60% of his SUV jutting out creating a total mess & inconvenience to other road users.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1.jpg

2) A little ahead on the same road is a sharp 90 degree bend. Again the blue blocks are parked cars. Green blocks are the cars going in one direction, that is taking the right turn. Orange block is my car going in opposite direction. Red block is a fiesta car again parked almost horizontally at the curve. I was forced to wait there till the pile clears up. I see a approx 40 yr old guy exiting from the fiesta. I ask him to park his car elsewhere as this can cause a jam. he signals to me that there is no other parking space & that he cant help it & walks away!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-2.jpg
Old 28th November 2011, 09:29   #3179
Senior - BHPian

^^If you are driving your Scorp, nudge the Fiesta's exposed part slightly - the owner will from the next time not park like this creating nusiance for everyone.
Old 28th November 2011, 11:07   #3180
BHPian

My car got rear ended on Saturday while I was taking a U-turn. I was halfway through the turn and this guy on a Honda Activa came and banged on to the right side rear wheel / bumper of my Figo. Luckily, he had only a dislocated mud-guard. Funny thing is that I saw him coming in my rear view mirror when I started the turn and he was looking into a shop on his right hand side, paying little attention on the road. My car is left with some paint from his scooter, on the rear bumper and a lost wheel cap.

Last edited by A350XWB : 28th November 2011 at 11:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks