Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 20:40   #3226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Bikes should not be allowed on 2 lane bridges. They just slow down the average speed and at least in Mumbai I've noticed ride in the middle of a lane blocking the full lane. Cars have to keep switching lanes to avoid them. Infact some of them stay in the right lane and refuse to budge.
What's even more annoying is after hoking at these bikers who hog the right lane, they wildly gesture that you must overtake them from the left and when you do, they give you a dirty stare that ignites the Hulk within.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:51   #3227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this guy is really close to my car's behind while i'm doing 80kmph on the BETL! he was trying to bully his way past a Indicab on the left lane and me in the right!
Attachment 852546

Attachment 852547

this morning i got a similar scare when i Fortuner tried to bully his way between me (on the right) and a biker (on the left). from the corner of my eye i could see his projectors inches away from my B-pillar!

wonder why people pull such stunts at high speeds putting other's lives in danger
This has happened to me a lot of times at night when I am driving back home. Why dont people understand that your reaction time is greatly reduced. These morons put it up on High beam and are like mere feet away from the rear bumper at those speeds.

Typically I let them pass, but sometimes I just like to irritate them and stick to their tail without passing (of course keeping a 3-4 car length distance) and only at night on roads which I know have little or no traffic. This frustrates these idiots, esp to see a Vista keeping up with their SUV's.

The one thing I never understood "Why we Indians are in a hurry always!"
Old 5th December 2011, 23:07   #3228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
this guy is really close to my car's behind while i'm doing 80kmph on the BETL! ... ... ... wonder why people pull such stunts at high speeds putting other's lives in danger
This is absolutely unacceptable at 20kph, let alone 80.

It's just amazing how they have no fear fro themselves, let alone for anyone else.

In your situation, I would have slowed to a crawl, for safety, as much as to annoy the idiot. But, it is far safer to have these people in front than to have them behind.

It's a personal choice, but I don't think registration plates should be obscured in threads like this one. And I promise not to change my mind even if mine turns up here one day!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th December 2011 at 23:09.
Old 6th December 2011, 08:56   #3229
BHPian

Quote:
this guy is really close to my car's behind while i'm doing 80kmph on the BETL! he was trying to bully his way past a Indicab on the left lane and me in the right!

wonder why people pull such stunts at high speeds putting other's lives in danger
Similar experience for me this morning!!
A pre-mature-born IT professional driving Octavia vRS tried to squeeze into a non-existent gap between me and a Wipro bus on BETL. And he did succeed in that - cutting me across from the left on the down-slope towards ECity.
Then comes the twist - his OBU device was not sensed and he got struck at the toll. I merrily took the next lane and went ahead. Still he tried to follow me, but I took the immediate left and he had to go straight.
Old 6th December 2011, 09:07   #3230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
The one thing I never understood "Why we Indians are in a hurry always!"
Being philosophical beings, we Indians think that
1. It is the journey which matters and not the destination.
2. Our recipe for living is Hurry, Worry & Curry - with apologies to the Doctors.
3. We will be Reincarnated if the Close Encounters on the Highway go awry.

Last edited by basky : 6th December 2011 at 09:23.
Old 6th December 2011, 10:52   #3231
Distinguished - BHPian

Ironhawk- that pic was scary.

Of all traffic offenders, I think tailgaters are the worst.

The other day I was proceeding at a brisk pace in the right lane on the Mumbai bypass. There is a car behind me who suddenly flashes his lights (no provocation- I wasn't slowing down him or anyone else). I checked my mirrors and he did it again.

This could mean one of 2 things, I tell myself: T-BHP spotting or this guy has spotted something wrong in my car (door open, water dripping from exhaust, whatever).

It's tough to change lanes in peak hour, but somehow I do it with this guy flashing his lights at me all the time.

Finally I manage to move to the left lane and let him pass. I look at him as he passes and ...

Nada. Nothing. Zilch.

The moron had nothing to say to me. It's just his regular driving style. Stay on the tail of the guy in front and keep flashing lights till he gets frustrated and lets you pass.

What the hell kind of idiots get DLs in this country of ours?
Old 6th December 2011, 11:53   #3232
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Ironhawk- that pic was scary.

Of all traffic offenders, I think tailgaters are the worst.

The other day I was proceeding at a brisk pace in the right lane on the Mumbai bypass. There is a car behind me who suddenly flashes his lights (no provocation- I wasn't slowing down him or anyone else). I checked my mirrors and he did it again.

This could mean one of 2 things, I tell myself: T-BHP spotting or this guy has spotted something wrong in my car (door open, water dripping from exhaust, whatever).

It's tough to change lanes in peak hour, but somehow I do it with this guy flashing his lights at me all the time.

Finally I manage to move to the left lane and let him pass. I look at him as he passes and ...

Nada. Nothing. Zilch.

The moron had nothing to say to me. It's just his regular driving style. Stay on the tail of the guy in front and keep flashing lights till he gets frustrated and lets you pass.

What the hell kind of idiots get DLs in this country of ours?
I meet similar morons quite often. If I am driving at or above the speed limit, I never pay attention. I welcome tailgaters with a few dabs on the brake-paddle. I know it is stupid on my part, but just can't stand these morons. Once while on Mumbai-Pune expressway, I was really pissed off by a Innova guy who was tailgating really aggrresively and I was not even in the rightmost lane. After tolerating him for quite some time, I gradually slowed him down to 50-60 kmph. Boy, was he pissed off! In hindsight, quite a stupid thing to do. Didn't engage in such reckless behaviour after that incidence.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:53   #3233
BHPian

I feel the real bad drivers are the one driving with cellular calls.. Whenever i could notice them through the ORVM, I deviate from them to avoid any nonsense. Here is the list of others i feel as bad drivers

1) Youngsters (less than 20 yrs old) who don't bother the impact of accident
2) All Riders / Drivers with cellphone on
3) Heavily loaded two wheelers (with Cylinders, 2*20 ltr water cans, Chips marketing guys)
4) A biker taking a village in his/her bike (atleast 2 adults and 3 kids)
5) Taxis with rear fog lamps & Brake light blinking -- These people are dangerous because they intended to annoy others by means of tail light.. So i stay away from them
6) People keep moving even the signal countdown is 10 seconds (they wait for a small gap and start moving rashly, My friends bro met with such an accident, though he was following the signal)

Above all are having exceptions but, for our safety we have to avoid all of this..

Last but not least, Nowadays am not overtaking any big vehicles after i met with an accident 3 months ago

Scenario -- I was riding my TBTS on 60kmph on a state highway road and overtaking a scorpio (of course on the right side).

Suddenly a KB 4S stood infront of me (came from the left side lane before scorpio) and eventually i didn't brake and costed me so much

Note - Removed my helmet just 3 kms before the accident spot

Lost 4 tooth,
Bone grafting done on upper jaw, And still implantation is pending

Money wise - Sold my TBTS under pressure from family (lost 30k)
Spent around 40k for dentist so far (still some thing similar is pending)

Eventually what i learnt is -- Be it a bike or car, it's not just about you are in control while riding / driving, it also depends others driving,

Drive safe and don't overtake in blind spots. "it may cause delay reaching your destination in minutes or hours but its better than never"
Old 6th December 2011, 11:56   #3234
BHPian

As for the title of the thread, I, for one, start with the assumption that all drivers are bad and end up spotting the good drivers instead of the bad. Kinda makes me happy to note good drivers in the midst of several bad ones.

Bad moment this morning. As usual everyone is in a hurry to get to wherever their destination is. Even more hurried are the Indicas, Taveras and Innovas who are clearly inspired by recent F1 and will probably demand a Monaco-like track in Chennai.

A Tavera bullies me (I drive an Endy but I'm sedate and of the "Drive and let drive" category). I allow him to pass only to find him stop behind a bus, who by the way, had just moved all the way from the right to the left to stop at a bus stop. Tavera again bullies me to get to the right and bypass the now stationary bus. I stop deciding to let him pass. A moron on a bike rams my rear. I was not even going at 20kph to call this a sudden braking. I walk up to the moron, his eyes are swollen, clothes unkempt and a smelly breath. Clearly, he has just awoken from somewhere and again going somewhere. The funniest part was when I walked up to him, he was all like "nothing happened to your vehicle saar let me go".

Thankfully, the Endy is an urban battle tank. He had bumped into the spare wheel, the cover of which showed no damage whatsoever. Hence I let him go off with a warning and a self

Last edited by ssh1979 : 6th December 2011 at 11:57.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:02   #3235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
I feel the real bad drivers are the one driving with cellular calls.. Whenever i could notice them through the ORVM, I deviate from them to avoid any nonsense. Here is the list of others i feel as bad drivers

1) Youngsters (less than 20 yrs old) who don't bother the impact of accident
2) All Riders / Drivers with cellphone on
3) Heavily loaded two wheelers (with Cylinders, 2*20 ltr water cans, Chips marketing guys)
4) A biker taking a village in his/her bike (atleast 2 adults and 3 kids)
5) Taxis with rear fog lamps & Brake light blinking -- These people are dangerous because they intended to annoy others by means of tail light.. So i stay away from them
6) People keep moving even the signal countdown is 10 seconds (they wait for a small gap and start moving rashly, My friends bro met with such an accident, though he was following the signal)

Above all are having exceptions but, for our safety we have to avoid all of this..

Last but not least, Nowadays am not overtaking any big vehicles after i met with an accident 3 months ago

Scenario -- I was riding my TBTS on 60kmph on a state highway road and overtaking a scorpio (of course on the right side).

Suddenly a KB 4S stood infront of me (came from the left side lane before scorpio) and eventually i didn't brake and costed me so much

Note - Removed my helmet just 3 kms before the accident spot

Lost 4 tooth,
Bone grafting done on upper jaw, And still implantation is pending

Money wise - Sold my TBTS under pressure from family (lost 30k)
Spent around 40k for dentist so far (still some thing similar is pending)

Eventually what i learnt is -- Be it a bike or car, it's not just about you are in control while riding / driving, it also depends others driving,

Drive safe and don't overtake in blind spots. "it may cause delay reaching your destination in minutes or hours but its better than never"
really sorry to hear about your accident mate! the way you described it i got chills down my spine. i've been in accidents on my bike (no broken bones, just loss of paintwork) and pretty hair raising close encounters. nowadays i don't take out the bike unless i'm ATGATT. there was a time i used to have a baseball cap for a helmet (needed the wind in my hair ) and never ride below 60kmph, but now feel kinda naked (in a bad way) without the riding gear!
Old 6th December 2011, 12:11   #3236
BHPian

True IronH4WK, Even i never realized these things before this accident and this made me to realize how bad it hurts you and your family.

In fact i realized all these when my 3 yr old twin kids were asking "Did god punished you for mistake?"
Old 6th December 2011, 13:33   #3237
Senior - BHPian

very unfortunate, but has to be mentioned.

on the BETL this morning as i'm nearing the EC Ph1 exit ramp (70mts) i see this Fiesta forcing his way into my lane (i was leaving a bit of gap between me and the car in front). he squeezes in between the DZire on the left and me on the right. now, i don't usually put the turn indicator unless i'm about 50mts from the turn to avoid confusion for the person behind me and hence i did not have my indicators blinking right when this person cut into my lane.

question to the driver (if you're reading this):
1. why did you have to cut into my lane at such speed (i was already at 80kmph and i had to brake to let you through)? could you not have waited for your turn to move into the right lane?

2. if you knew you had to take the exit ramp on the right then why on earth where you on the left lane?

oh, what caught me by surprise - the car had a LTD!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_3164.jpg

3. were you trying to show off your sticker? if yes, it was a very stupid move to say the least.
Old 6th December 2011, 13:40   #3238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

3. were you trying to show off your sticker? if yes, it was a very stupid move to say the least.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-oh-no-she-didnt.jpg

Aww H4WK! I think the chap must have gotten overtly excited after spotting your stickers, and was also testing his Fiesta's excellent handling ability!

Jokes apart, what he did is not what is expected of a Team BHP member, assuming that he is one and not a friend with a spare sticker collection.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th December 2011 at 13:41.
Old 6th December 2011, 14:25   #3239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
OT:

aah! Full House

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Jokes apart, what he did is not what is expected of a Team BHP member, assuming that he is one and not a friend with a spare sticker collection.
this car has been spotted twice before, but i couldn't find any acknowledgement.
Old 6th December 2011, 15:56   #3240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

on the BETL this morning as i'm nearing the EC Ph1 exit ramp (70mts) i see this Fiesta forcing his way into my lane (i was leaving a bit of gap between me and the car in front). he squeezes in between the DZire on the left and me on the right. now, i don't usually put the turn indicator unless i'm about 50mts from the turn to avoid confusion for the person behind me and hence i did not have my indicators blinking right when this person cut into my lane.

question to the driver (if you're reading this):
1. why did you have to cut into my lane at such speed (i was already at 80kmph and i had to brake to let you through)? could you not have waited for your turn to move into the right lane?

2. if you knew you had to take the exit ramp on the right then why on earth where you on the left lane?

oh, what caught me by surprise - the car had a LTD!

Attachment 852763

Please check out this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2187462

The BHP-ian is a woman, and not an active member. I have said "Hi" to her. Seen the car around Koramangala 6th Block (Koramangala Club and its surrounds) a lot, so maybe she lives and/or works around there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks