Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 13:13   #3331
PhX
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
2. Indicators..they mean specific things to specific drivers even though Its supposed to mean only one thing
You're right about this thing. So much so that I no longer have any clue as to whether the right indicator means "go ahead and overtake" or "hang on, there's a car coming from the front". I've just given up trying to guess, so I always peek out from behind and overtake when I get a chance.

As for the lane conundrum, I've also given up trying to overtake from the fastest lane. By default, I drive in the second lane (of a 3-lane highway). Whenever I'm coming up to overtake someone, I honk to let them know I'm coming and continue overtaking on the left. In my experience, barely anyone moves out of the right lane.
Old 26th December 2011, 13:39   #3332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
...I no longer have any clue as to whether the right indicator means "go ahead and overtake" or "hang on, there's a car coming from the front"...
The first one is the alternative meaning that people have literally invented.
I learnt it a bit late and also found myself in trouble after I did that, because I was plain confused.

Frankly, I didn't know the second one till now (Thanks, I'll take care of this one as well in future)

But theoritically, the indicators don't mean either of these.
Indicators just mean "I'm turning right/left"
Old 26th December 2011, 14:21   #3333
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
The first one is the alternative meaning that people have literally invented.
I learnt it a bit late and also found myself in trouble after I did that, because I was plain confused.

Frankly, I didn't know the second one till now (Thanks, I'll take care of this one as well in future)

But theoritically, the indicators don't mean either of these.
Indicators just mean "I'm turning right/left"
Logically, if someone turns on the right-indicator, it should mean:
  • I'm turning right
  • I'm about to enter the right lane
In either of these cases, you would have to be silly to try and overtake. Carrying this analogy forward, when a truck on a highway turns on the right indicator, it should ideally mean "Please don't overtake, there's traffic coming from the front". But like I've said, I've seen multiple times on the highway when a helpful truck driver (I'm not being sarcastic here...these guys are genuinely trying to help; the issue is that they have got the concepts wrong) turns on the right indicator to say "Go ahead and overtake from the right. There's no one coming from the opposite side."

(All of this is on 2-lane highways, of course.)

Bottom line: You cannot really take anything for granted. Just peek out gently and check for yourself before overtaking.
PhX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 15:08   #3334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
... They will stop their car anywhere, anytime and open the gates full throttle. Once i saw that they had done just that and a poor biker who was at 40 kmph rammed into the door. Four of them moved out and that biker had a horried time.
Poor Biker ... but ... His lesson was not to pass so close, especially at 40kph. One of my instructors taught me the idea of a safety line, always keeping a distance from other vehicles, even parked ones.

Quote:
In countries with disciplined traffic, you rarely come across this situation...
In UK motorway driving, when a jam is forming, it sometimes affects the right hand lane first, and you can even get a situation where vehicles in that lane are stopped, while cars to their left are still moving. Add to that the fact that drivers, looking ahead, will try to move to the lane that is still moving, and you get a sort-of right/left inversion. A traffic situation I hate and fear.

The movement of vehicles on UK motorways is something only wave theorists can understand: most jams are caused by ...absolutely nothing!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th December 2011 at 15:11.
Old 27th December 2011, 15:09   #3335
GTO
Team-BHP Support

See where this idiot is waiting; to gauge just how much he overshoot the right spot, notice that my car is parked right at the zebra crossing. Worst part is, he made no effort to reverse back, instead choosing to coolly stand in the middle of the road.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-teambhp.jpg

Here's another one...obviously missed his parallel parking practice / course:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-parallel-parking-custom.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2011 at 15:41.
Old 27th December 2011, 15:21   #3336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
See where this idiot is waiting; to gauge just how much he overshoot the right spot, notice that my car is parked right at the zebra crossing. Worst part is, he made no effort to reverse back, instead choosing to coolly stand in the middle of the road.
LOL. Come to Bangalore. You'll find that you are the only one waiting at the zebra crossing, whereas everyone else has stopped where that idiot is. On closer observation you will find that no on has actually stopped. They are all crawling forward slowly but surely and steadily.
amitoj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 17:07   #3337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He is so far ahead that he will miss the signal when it turns green.

What is that structure coming up on the left hand side. Not another mall please at the already crowded junction.
Old 27th December 2011, 17:36   #3338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Right outside Shiv Sena Bhavan!

I have noticed this many times in Mumbai, especially bikers & ricks/cabs do this. the problem is, they are so far ahead that they cant actually see the signal & when it actually turns green, these guys are still standing there blocking the traffic behind leading to unnecessary honking in an already over polluted Mumbai.

Sometimes, i have been sweared by motorists behind me for standing before the zebra crossing. they think ideally we should be standing adjacent to where the divider ends. so they keep honking unless i take my car foward by another 10 inches or so. I dont understand what do they gain by these 10 inches?!
Old 27th December 2011, 17:43   #3339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
If you did that in Chennai, you wouldn't be able to back up, because there would be 15 bikers, three autos and a call taxi behind you

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th December 2011 at 17:45.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 18:46   #3340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Sometimes, i have been sweared by motorists behind me for standing before the zebra crossing. they think ideally we should be standing adjacent to where the divider ends. so they keep honking unless i take my car foward by another 10 inches or so. I dont understand what do they gain by these 10 inches?!
It's a rat-race here my friend.

Driving in India is a rat-race. People always want to be ahead, even if they end up pulling up next to you at the traffic-signal 4 km later. It's an 'ego' thing, I believe.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th December 2011 at 11:42.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 19:11   #3341
Senior - BHPian

In the first picture by GTO a bad pedestrian can also be seen crossing the road through the centre of the intersection. He is also ahead of the competition.
Old 27th December 2011, 19:15   #3342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
bad jeeper
He cannot be termed a Jeeper at all! That Jeep in all probability is being used as a mule to transport construction materials or something of that sort! He surely qualifies as a bad driver though!
Old 27th December 2011, 19:22   #3343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
He cannot be termed a Jeeper at all! He surely qualifies as a bad driver though!
True. If the clock is turned 10 to 15 years back this 'jeeper' would have been pulling a hand cart.
Old 29th December 2011, 01:55   #3344
Team-BHP Support

Saw this nimrod who overshot the Zebra-Crossing near Cambridge/Double-Road Indiranagar this evening.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-28122011091.jpg

I managed to click this picture just in the nick of time, as these two auto-rickshaws who seemed to be engaged in some sort of idiotic race pulled up right next to me and stopped a bit ahead of me, on the wrong-side of the double-while-lines that marks the center of the road, and in the path of speeding oncoming vehicles.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th December 2011 at 01:57.
Old 29th December 2011, 13:10   #3345
BHPian

Another very common sight in Bangalore.

Look closely, the 2nd auto guy is pushing the 1st auto with his feet. The 1st one would have exhausted fuel and they would go all the way to the nearest pump this way.

Blocks the traffic on one side, and is a major safety hazard too.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img00757201112290945.jpg  

mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks