Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 15:37   #6286
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Why do people have their headlights on HIGH when they have stopped on the side of the road?

Where ever they have stopped to buy something from the roadside vendor or waiting to pick someone up they have full beams blinding the oncoming traffic. Most of the times they are not looking forward or not even in the car at all, so no matter how many times you flick they wouldn’t notice it!

The other day I stopped next to one C-class and asked if everything was ok if they needed help? The driver said they are all fine why I asked them, I said I thought they needed help in understanding how the headlights are operated and switching from Bright to dim cause it seems to be stuck on “DAZZLE”. My witty sarcasm was totally wasted, they had no clue what I was saying!

On a serious note guys “DIM YOUR LIGHTS”
KevinP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 15:44   #6287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Why do people have their headlights on HIGH when they have stopped on the side of the road?

Where ever they have stopped to buy something from the roadside vendor or waiting to pick someone up they have full beams blinding the oncoming traffic. Most of the times they are not looking forward or not even in the car at all, so no matter how many times you flick they wouldn’t notice it!

The other day I stopped next to one C-class and asked if everything was ok if they needed help? The driver said they are all fine why I asked them, I said I thought they needed help in understanding how the headlights are operated and switching from Bright to dim cause it seems to be stuck on “DAZZLE”. My witty sarcasm was totally wasted, they had no clue what I was saying!

On a serious note guys “DIM YOUR LIGHTS”
Totally agree with you on this. In fact, this is more annoying than a vehicle moving with bright lights on.
I too once stopped besides a car who's brights were on and the best part was, the driver was a Middle-East/North African national and he had his legs folded on the seat and was having a chat with a friend who was standing outside.
Gave him a mouthful and in his broken English he kept repeating 'Cool Bro, Cool Bro', and I left knowing it wouldn't have made any difference to him and even if he understood me.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 17:21   #6288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is one pathetic habbit that I despise. Many educated imbeciles do this while stopped at signals, at tollbooths, road-sides, bus stops - everywhere. The worst kind that I've come across are these KaSRTC Airavat (2-axle and multi-axle) and Rajahamsa drivers. They sit perched high in their cockpits, enjoy watching the conductor check the passengers' tickets and letting them in, at bus stops, while they care two hoots to turn off the headlamps (that are at least 75W bulbs on each of the 4 or sometimes 6 lamps). You try reasoning with them, they shoo you away.

Then there are these self-acclaimed educated lot that believe the blue High-Beam indicator has to remain lit for them to be sure that the headlamps are in ship shape. Even when waiting at tollbooths and signals.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 21:18   #6289
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Why do people have their headlights on HIGH when they have stopped on the side of the road? ... snip
Even more bothering is when these idiots are stopped on wrong side (facing the oncoming traffic) and totally unmindful of what trouble their high beams are causing to the oncoming traffic.
This is even more dangerous on a narrow two lane road, where due to vicinity of their vehicle to the road, the high beams are really blinding and may cause accident.

I usually register my protest with a long honk, but no effect on their thick skulls
JLS
Old 10th July 2014, 22:10   #6290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I usually register my protest with a long honk, but no effect on their thick skulls
They probably just wonder why that idiot is making all that noise for no reason! Mostly they are probably completely unaware that they are doing anything wrong.
Old 10th July 2014, 22:29   #6291
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
the high beams are really blinding and may cause accident.

Your protest and the long honking will neither have any effect nor will they understand why you are honking. What will happen is, they'll put their head out and scold you as they'll feel your creating noise pollution!

May be they'll get down from their steeds and ask you why that honking in the first place.

Anurag.
Old 11th July 2014, 00:12   #6292
BHPian

I had a small incident today that I thought may be worth a mention here. At 9 pm I drove to our neighbourhood petrol pump to tank up (the u-turn ahead is congested and it makes no sense to go during the day). On reaching I saw a new Honda City in front of the pump. I kept idling, thinking the owner/driver was waiting for the bill and got a shock when I realised the owner (a guy in jeans and t-shirt) was walking his 4 or 5 year old kid near a refilling-tanker and showing him around. I flashed lights at him and the guy gave a 'wait' sign with his hand while he took the kid in his lap and continued pointing out the rear tyres of the tanker. Finally I honked twice and the pump attendant told him to move his car which he did most reluctantly.

Seriously what was the guy thinking?? I can't think of a worse place to take a kid out of the car what with the risk of cars and buses going in and out and all those petrol and diesel fumes.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 00:21   #6293
Distinguished - BHPian

NICE Road, Bangalore. This verna guy was not only coming on the wrong direction, he was also speeding.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-nice.jpg  

Old 11th July 2014, 09:05   #6294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
NICE Road, Bangalore. This verna guy was not only coming on the wrong direction, he was also speeding.
Can't you see that he had the headlights on? He's not breaking any rule. Ideally, he should've had the hazards also on, but let's cut some slack.

//End of Sarcasm

May that handicapped (yes! born without a fully developed brain) person meet his fate
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 09:19   #6295
BHPian

Last week spotted a lady in Aundh (Pune), driving an Alto with two kennels on co-passenger seat. The window glass was rolled down and both the kennels were not fastened. The kennels were leaned out of the car and the lady is least bothered about them. Why should people do such dumb things..?
Old 11th July 2014, 11:00   #6296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
The window glass was rolled down and both the kennels were not fastened. The kennels were leaned out of the car and the lady is least bothered about them.
I saw a similar thing few days back on Indiranagar 80 feet road. A guy driving a Maruti Zen with his German Shephard on the rear seat with windows fully rolled down and the dog popping his head out of the window. I was just behind the zen when i noticed a pedestrian walking close to the zen totally unawares and got a terrible bite on his hand from the dog

Before even the pedestrian can realize what really happened and how he got the pain out of nowhere the zen car zoomed off, neither did the zen car driver realize that his dog is doing all sorts of notorious thing sitting in the rear seat (But I think the driver doesn't seem to care, else he would have not rolled down the window that way leaving dog unattended)
Old 11th July 2014, 11:16   #6297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be just to show off their battery power. I have even seen people forget to turn off the headlights when the engine stops suddenly , crank the engine and then turn on the headlights.
They don't seem to realize that the battery will consume more power when you crank the engine with headlights on.
Old 11th July 2014, 17:51   #6298
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP STICKERS are HERE! Post sightings & pics of them on your car...

Spotted six Team-Bhp sticker-ed cars in a span of 12 hours. Didn't note all the numbers, but there's one I memorized.

KA-02-MF-6612- A white SX4 with LTD and 'Love Cars Live Cars' stickers.

This guy was tailgating and bullying me off the road. I saw the stickers, when I gave way to him. This was at 11.00 PM yesterday near Hebbal (while coming from KR Puram). He went towards B.E.L Circle.

Whoever you are, I don't appreciate you driving in this reckless manner. Please avoid bullying other road users.
Auswechseln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 19:40   #6299
Team-BHP Support

Even govt. state transport bus drivers can be ruthless at times!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-10485280_737846326275090_3566363291711747238_n.jpg

Source: Facebook

The caption reads: Would turning on the lights increase the width of the road, you scoundrel!
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 20:55   #6300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Even govt. state transport bus drivers can be ruthless at times!

The caption reads: Would turning on the lights increase the width of the road, you scoundrel!
Very apt caption / comment, the NHAI should post this on single lane highways advising people.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks