Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2014, 16:55   #6331
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
That is taking things too far and not practically feasible. And as far as reporting rash driving goes, people here do refer to registration numbers of the offending cars. But as I said, rather than policing, I would like to see self regulation as this involves everybody on road and not just TBHPians.
On this small off-topic discussion on non members sporting stickers, I had a thought that one reason why there may be so many of them is because the stickers come in sets of 8 and unless one has many cars/bikes with multiple stickers, there may be the propensity to give away the rest, contributing to a lot of non-members with surplus stickers.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 18:34   #6332
Distinguished - BHPian

Two guys going in parallel very closely and the girls sitting behind trying to pull each other. This was going on for around a Km ah! the idiocy of youth! This was on the NICE road, bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-snap4441.jpg  

arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 13:41   #6333
BHPian

Yesterday i was going through a two lane flyover with autos in front of me occupying both the lanes and the one in the first lane was driving marginally faster than the other one. Suddenly one tourist Force Traveller came from nowhere behind me (must be doing 100+) and started tailgating and honking furiously, as if trying to get over me. obviously it took me a few seconds to move ahead and give way as the auto in front of me took its own time to overtake and come to the second lane. This Traveller guy just to scare me cut very near my car while passing through.

God knows if he has ever heard of term called patience!!
Old 21st July 2014, 17:57   #6334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Two guys going in parallel very closely and the girls sitting behind trying to pull each other. This was going on for around a Km ah! the idiocy of youth! This was on the NICE road, bangalore.
I guess these guys belong to that section of society who do not understand the meaning of TO LIVE. They seem to be not worried about their own safety as evident in the photo. Rather the ones going in a 4 wheeler should start worrying about the 2 wheelers safety as well as their own safety.
Old 21st July 2014, 21:31   #6335
BHPian

Today, an Indica driver came bang through the middle of the road towards me( wrong side for him) in my college campus. The said road is divided by a median and is rather narrow. I was on my R15. Rode towards him unperturbed anyways, hoping this idiot will give me my right of way. It ended up with my bike just a few meters away from his radiator grille. The guy rolled downed his window and said "Want to run over me?" in quite an angry tone. Couldn't do more than to change my path and riding away besides the Indica, wondering what smart lines I could have said to dumbfound that guy.
Old 21st July 2014, 23:53   #6336

I travel to my office every day on 100 ft road towards Koramangala. After the Domlur bridge towards Koramangala, the road actually widens into three lanes each side. and the divider runs approximately 2KM from Domlur bridge till you find a gap in the median. Everyday I see many taxis, two wheelers come in opposite direction on the left most lane in order to avoid taking a U turn which would save them from driving 4KM. Surprisingly, today I saw a Bolero(black) with security guards(probably the guards of surrounding IT parks) inside driving on the wrong side. I wanted to take a pic, since there was moving traffic, couldn't do that. Not sure how to address this kind of scenario, when the individuals who are supposed to follow the rules first break them without any hesitation.
Old 22nd July 2014, 00:06   #6337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastichouse View Post
Today, an Indica driver came bang through the middle of the road towards me( wrong side for him) in my college campus. The said road is divided by a median and is rather narrow. I was on my R15. Rode towards him unperturbed anyways, hoping this idiot will give me my right of way. It ended up with my bike just a few meters away from his radiator grille. The guy rolled downed his window and said "Want to run over me?" in quite an angry tone. Couldn't do more than to change my path and riding away besides the Indica, wondering what smart lines I could have said to dumbfound that guy.
sorry if i sound cheesy, but consider it as a result of me watching 4 episodes of game of thrones...but I would have simple chopped off his head...
neelchak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 00:11   #6338
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sure it's wrong to encourage violence here, but...

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:14   #6339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelchak View Post
sorry if i sound cheesy, but consider it as a result of me watching 4 episodes of game of thrones...but I would have simple chopped off his head...
Too old school! Or better yet, What 'The Mountain' did to Oberyn Martell!
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 11:08   #6340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindp View Post
I travel to my office every day on 100 ft road towards Koramangala. After the Domlur bridge towards Koramangala, the road actually widens into three lanes each side. and the divider runs approximately 2KM from Domlur bridge till you find a gap in the median. Everyday I see many taxis, two wheelers come in opposite direction on the left most lane in order to avoid taking a U turn which would save them from driving 4KM. Surprisingly, today I saw a Bolero(black) with security guards(probably the guards of surrounding IT parks) inside driving on the wrong side. I wanted to take a pic, since there was moving traffic, couldn't do that. Not sure how to address this kind of scenario, when the individuals who are supposed to follow the rules first break them without any hesitation.
When I first returned from America, all inured about how to drive the right way, I used to get into these situations- where moronic drivers without a care for others would get into the opposing traffic lane, and obstruct everybody including me.
I did get into quite a few situations of a war of nerves - with neither person backing down, from his position. Needless to say , traffic behind me would back-up, while each tried to prove he was right and the other was wrong.
I found it wasted my time, increased my BP, and turned my disposition quite sour. I figured out quickly - there's no use in trying to drill road-sense into morons.
Ever since then, I get out of the way of these morons, or else, pull over and allow them to pass. Better to avoid a moron than get into a fight and be one of them.
joybhowmik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 23:00   #6341
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw some very thuggish bully-boy driving of a very nice-looking Audi this afternoon, on Sardar Patel Road (chennai) near Raj Bhavan.

Made me wonder if the urologist had just told him he couldn't have the enlargement op!

(Assumptions here: that the driver was a) male and b) young. Most of it was going on in the RVM, and I had my attention on finding the gate I needed to turn into. I couldn't even note the model as it sped past)
Old 24th July 2014, 11:54   #6342
Senior - BHPian

Now a days I see a lot of cars tailgating my car and being aggressive on the road when they are behind, my best guess is its the car. The Grand being a small hatchback people tend to think it can be pushed and shoved off the road. Never felt such a thing with the Manza. Its interesting how people's attitude changes seeing the kind of car in front of them. I just happily let them through or if space permits utilize the Grand's low end grunt to go away from them.
Old 24th July 2014, 15:42   #6343
Senior - BHPian

Do we have a spot-the-good-driver thread ? On my way home from work yesterday, I was (pleasantly) surprised to see a family of 3 on a bike on OMR at Shozhinganallur,
with all 3 wearing helmets, including kiddo on the fuel-tank wearing a helmet fitting his head.

P.S: Yes, I know that, having a kid on the scooter is immediately ground for being a bad driver on the forum, with people suggesting why they can't take a cab or auto or PTS or buy a Nano.
But there are other factors like affordability, locally acceptable societal mores etc that could explain why we see this here. Not to mention the fact that many of us here have ourselves either been the kid on the bike long ago or would have atleast rarely taken our kids on one (inspite of owning a car).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 24th July 2014 at 16:02.
supremeBaleno is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 15:55   #6344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I was (pleasantly) surprised to see a family of 3 on a bike on OMR at Shozhinganallur, with all 3 wearing helmets, including kiddo on the fuel-tank wearing a helmet fitting his head.
Nice! A rare sight.

I spot pillions wearing a helmet occasionally (in a city with zero traffic/road sense) and praise them in my mind. OTOH, I see plenty of two-wheelers with helmets strapped to the saree guard or on the rear view mirror while riding. Well, good luck fellas!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th July 2014 at 15:56.
Old 24th July 2014, 18:06   #6345
Distinguished - BHPian

Something really interesting from a blog I was reading based on an interesting view point of Ramayna. Found the following lines very apt to describe the root cause of all our problems and lack of driving etiquette on our streets.

"Ayodhya was a city that was not ruled by laws but by good sense. While I agree that laws are important, Maharishi Valmiki tells us that rules will be only followed by people who believe in them. And those are the people who don’t need any laws, because their innate sense of discrimination between good and bad will stand them in good stead. However, people who don’t have this sense, will find loopholes in any law and will create problems for the society.”

So the moral is unless we change ourselves and the way we think and behave, no law can be successful and cure all the problems that plague our roads today. Whether its giving way to en emergency vehicle or wait patiently at a red signal, the list just goes on and on.

Last edited by drmohitg : 24th July 2014 at 18:07.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks