Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2014, 09:20   #6886
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Last evening, was driving back from MG Road after a heavy downpour had just stopped.

At the Old-Madras Road - Ulsoor road junction, I stopped as the light was Red.
Immediately I see a BMTC buss pass me from left side and go straight ahead, then a Taxi, now I'm thinking "OK, I can expect this from such drivers, nothing new", then I get a shock

A cop, my guess at least sub-inspector or higher just drives straight through the Red light!

A minute later, light turns green and I proceed ahead. In about 2-3 minutes, I'm driving alongside the BMTC bus, the Taxi and the cop.

Now I was wondering what these folks achieved/gained by unnecessarily breaking that Red light ? Indiscipline comes so naturally to people in our country, do we have any hope of improvement ? Then the other part of my mind quickly said "Move On, these are out of your sphere of control" so I just focus on enjoying the soft, soothing music of Jagjit Singh and make peace with myself.
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:08   #6887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Last evening, was driving back from MG Road after a heavy downpour had just stopped.

At the Old-Madras Road - Ulsoor road junction, I stopped as the light was Red.
Immediately I see a BMTC buss pass me from left side and go straight ahead, then a Taxi, now I'm thinking "OK, I can expect this from such drivers, nothing new", then I get a shock
Jagjit Singh .

Quite true , nothing much can be done. Need stricter norms coupled with I think our country to start with basic civic lessons right from scratch something like nursery schools for drivers on how to drive and behave on road.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2014 at 16:19. Reason: Please quote only the relevant bits of a post :)
Old 23rd October 2014, 12:04   #6888
BHPian

Recently I notice a couple of cars without the rear number plates. My initial thought was they were new vehicles and hence the number plates were missing, but checking in the front, found that they were indeed registered and had a number plate in front.

What worries me is that if such a car is involved in a 'hit-and-run' accident, how would the public/police identify such vehicles. Also normaly at signals or traffic jams, the attention of the police is attracted only if the front number plates are missing, but in this case, they would not be caught unless checked for some other reasons.
Old 23rd October 2014, 12:46   #6889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I was wondering what these folks achieved/gained by unnecessarily breaking that Red light ? Indiscipline comes so naturally to people in our country, do we have any hope of improvement ? Then the other part of my mind quickly said "Move On, these are out of your sphere of control"
I see it happen every single day. And I have exactly the same thoughts that you have. Case in point, while driving to Bangalore Int'l Airport through the city in the wee hours or late at night, the vast majority of the taxis and BMTC Vayu Vajras ignore the reds and keep driving. Doesn't take so much of an effort or speeding in order to catch up with them, even if we obey the signals and drive properly (read, obey traffic rules, use proper signals, etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Recently I notice a couple of cars without the rear number plates...
People remove their standard size rear plate, and either install a minuscule number plate, or don't install one at all, to make it look "cool". And these "cool" imbeciles are often reckless on the roads. The authorities sadly have other priorities instead of enforcing basic rules.

Last edited by silversteed : 23rd October 2014 at 12:50.
Old 23rd October 2014, 13:46   #6890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The authorities sadly have other priorities instead of enforcing basic rules.
Exactly!

I have always wanted the Traffic Cops to focus on more important details. indicators, tail lights, head lamps, number plates, mirrors etc.

These components are a lot more important with regard to safety when compared to the usual checklist of RC Book, DL, PUC, Insurance, etc.

Alas, if only our cops were actually concerned about the city, we wouldn't have a thread only to rant about Bangalore's Traffic Situation!
Old 23rd October 2014, 14:55   #6891
Team-BHP Support

Our lack of driving etiquette stems from our overall lack of etiquette. How many of the following scenarios aren't everyday occurrences?

1. People walking 3-4 abreast on stairs, and refuse to leave space even when you say 'excuse me'.

2. People standing around gossiping right at a door blocking passage.

3. People stepping on your foot or shoving their bodies in your nose in a crowded elevator instead of waiting for the next one.

4. People talking loudly on their cellphones on office floors oblivious to the disturbance they're causing.

5. People who won't say thanks or make an appreciative gesture when you do them a courtesy (hold open a door, give up a seat etc.)

6. People who think they're too smart/important to stand in the cafeteria queue, then try acting smarter when you point the fact out to them ("Oh I didn't know there was a queue" or "I'm in a hurry to attend a meeting").

7. People who assume that arriving on time for anything is a foolish errand, and never apologize for keeping everyone waiting.

The list is endless. Bitter truth is we as a nation don't put much stock in common decency, courtesy or etiquette, and it's apparent everywhere, not just on our roads.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 17:58   #6892
BHPian

Quote:
A cop, my guess at least sub-inspector or higher just drives straight through the Red light!
For buses, taxis and most chauffer driven cars - I put it down to lack of any emotional connect between the driver and the vehicle as well as inability to appreciate traffic rules. A class 10 dropout driver simply cannot fathom why overtaking should be from the right. Some might genuinely believe that after 12 the law doesn't require obedience to traffic rules. Many might think a Rs 100 fine is worth the risk.

Cops, of course, believe rules don't apply to them. They are outside the system. Much like a bank employee who might believe he has a right to stroll into the back office of a branch to get his personal work done.

Most unfortunate are educated car owners who disregard rules despite knowing fully well all there is to know about the rule, why it exists, when it is operative, what are the consequences of breaking etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I have always wanted the Traffic Cops to focus on more important details. indicators, tail lights, head lamps, number plates, mirrors etc.

These components are a lot more important with regard to safety when compared to the usual checklist of RC Book, DL, PUC, Insurance, etc.
Today while driving home in the afternoon I saw at a large crossing how blatantly two cars and an auto overshot the stop line by about 10 feet. This crossing has a large police presence but still nothing happened.

I could not help but think what a tragedy it is that police do not enforce these 'small' infractions thinking they are unimportant. Maybe they feel they should concentrate only on 'major' stuff like hit-and-run, etc. Instead if they are diligent about these, people will think twice or thrice before committing a major violation.

It's a joke how serious driving without PUC / RC Book is made out to be but scores of big and small violations that endanger life and property are allowed to pass.

[Edit - Thanks NPV for pointing out the typo]

Last edited by Kumar R : 23rd October 2014 at 18:11. Reason: [Thanks, NPV, for pointing out the typo]
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 18:07   #6893
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
A class 10 dropout driver simply cannot fathom why overtaking should be from the left.
Yes they do almost always overtake from the left but I hope you missed a "not"
Old 23rd October 2014, 21:02   #6894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The list is endless. Bitter truth is we as a nation don't put much stock in common decency, courtesy or etiquette, and it's apparent everywhere, not just on our roads.
One of my cousin, born & brought up in Chennai, is now settled in Baku, Azerbaijan, after marrying an azerbaijani woman. I asked him why don't you come back? He said after travelling through so many countries, he says he just cannot tolerate totally the uncivil,uncouth behaviour of people in India. Mind you, he was born and brought up in Chennai till he was 23 years of age.
He has listed down all the uncivil behaviour you have listed. It is not only in traffic, but even in general. How many of us nod to another in friendly way if the other is the only other person in a restaurant? End of rant
srikanthns is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 21:27   #6895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
One of my cousin, born & brought up in Chennai, is now settled in Baku, Azerbaijan, after marrying an azerbaijani woman. I asked him why don't you come back? He said after travelling through so many countries, he says he just cannot tolerate totally the uncivil,uncouth behaviour of people in India. Mind you, he was born and brought up in Chennai till he was 23 years of age.
He has listed down all the uncivil behaviour you have listed. It is not only in traffic, but even in general. How many of us nod to another in friendly way if the other is the only other person in a restaurant? End of rant
Yup very much true.

But in all honesty there are a few people here in India who are courteous and genuinely good.

Just last week I was stuck in a lane which was going no where and I looked to my left and saw an uncle in his car. I signaled to him asking if I can merge in front of him. He happily obliged. All this just with hand gestures and a smile.

Just knowing there are a few people in India who have the manners and common sense to make life simple and happy is enough for me.

Manners and behavior are something that cannot be changed, and a lot of factors influence how one behaves. I for one have had a great influence from both family and friends.

Drive safe and "Live to Drive"
falconion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 22:18   #6896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
Just knowing there are a few people in India who have the manners and common sense to make life simple and happy is enough for me.
I do agree to your point that there are nice people around, but the number is far too miniscule for such a populous country! My cousin was pointing out the general lawlessness as a daily occurrence in India and said that is why he cannot tolerate this and unable to come back to India to live here!
Old 24th October 2014, 17:35   #6897
Distinguished - BHPian

Stopping beyond the stop line is my birthright, and I shall do it!

Who are we to judge our enforcers?

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-picsart_1414151984956.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 18:39   #6898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Stopping beyond the stop line is my birthright, and I shall do it!

Who are we to judge our enforcers?

Attachment 1302194
As a matter of fact, what is highlighted seems too normal for our roads these days. But what is gaining popularity with erring motorists is stopping beyond the median/lane in such a way that a lane from the oncoming traffic is almost made to deviate their path much away from the median to avoid brushing with the stopped vehicle(s).

And dare you give them hints that they are causing a lot of inconvenience - For they will slap it back saying we are lucky that they aren't jumping the light and cutting across into them

Just like those who use Indicators right when they take that turn or those who drive with the headlights on the wrong direction, no matter how you educate them, unless a rule is not broken they really think its a favor they exhibited on fellow motorists by saving them from a potential crash!

Our Sanskar on roads:
A cloth tied to a sharp object protruding out of that truck too = Self proclamation & patting on back of self for being a safe driver.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th October 2014 at 18:41.
Old 25th October 2014, 18:20   #6899
Senior - BHPian

Some really bad examples of drivers who endanger themselves and others lives on Mumbai Pune Expressway. Watch this edited 30 sec video clip as a horrible accident almost happened and also as an example what NOT to do on roads.

Now i fail to understand is why would people do like this that too on a rainy day ?

Whats the need to overtake from left @100kmph and then cut across...I am in middle lane driving @80kmph stipulated speed ?
Old 25th October 2014, 23:30   #6900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Whats the need to overtake from left @100kmph and then cut across...I am in middle lane driving @80kmph stipulated speed ?
You were there, and I've only seen the video. I've never seen the actual road. With those provisos, I'd suggest...

No, you probably should not have been in the middle lane. The left lane seems quite clear. If you take the middle lane and expect everyone to overtake only on the right then you are throwing away 1/3rd of the road.

There is not a stipulated speed for any road. Only a limit. The limit may or may not be safe at any given time. Vehicles may well drive faster or slower.

Having said that, the other vehicles there are doing some horrible, crazy stuff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks