Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 21:17   #4366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
on our way home, we were waiting at the Frazer Town/ITC flyover signal (Assaye road side). when the signal went green, the black Swift on my left cut me off and bolted through the signal. when i honked (as to why you cut me off), i got an irritated look from the driver. immediately there was a comment from my wife look, another moron with your team-bhp sticker! that's when i saw the LTD at the back of the Swift!
This Swift belongs to member samneil (bumped into a file photo of his car taken when we had met last month at a car service station), but not sure if it was the member driving.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image2123774730.jpg
Old 10th September 2012, 12:56   #4367
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Yesterday I was returning home from my relative's house in Prashanthnagar, around 2.50pm the place was in front of Raheja Apartments on Magadi road, there is a cross road to right which leads to MC Layout. I was standing behind a Swift at this cross to move straight towards Tollgate, the Swift moved straight and I also started to move, but a 2 wheeler guy who was on his discover had other ideas and he overtook me from left and took the right turn to go towards MC layout, I plonked but he was in no mood to give up and going at snail's pace, I decided to give him a nice lesson and continued to move, his bike's rear tyre had a kiss my car front bumper, he fell down but without uttering a single word he picked up his bike and started to move, I made a point to tell him what was his mistake but he was in no mood to argue with me. My wife was scared but I had enough of such experiences and decided to teach these idiots a good lesson.

Last edited by deehunk : 10th September 2012 at 13:09.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 13:12   #4368
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Illegal parking in front of Meenakshi Mall despite huge parking space in the Mall.
I was not aware it's a non-parking zone and is guilty of parking there a couple of times while visiting the mall with my family
There would always be a huge line of cars there and I thought it's perfectly fine to park there. I don't think it's a busy road anyway, but I could be wrong.
Old 10th September 2012, 20:07   #4369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
My wife was scared but I had enough of such experiences and decided to teach these idiots a good lesson.
Dropping him down from the bike is too big a punishment for riding it wrongly.
Bikers are more accident prone so have some mercy!!
Googleman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 08:57   #4370
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I was not aware it's a non-parking zone and is guilty of parking there a couple of times while visiting the mall with my family
There would always be a huge line of cars there and I thought it's perfectly fine to park there. I don't think it's a busy road anyway, but I could be wrong.
Busy road or not, it's never legal to park on the right hand side (beside the median) of a divided road and it does not require an explicit "No Parking" sign. I'm not aware of any exceptions where such parking is actually legal.
The other very common example for this in Bangalore is the Madiwala market where everyone parks next to the median - this thread itself has pictures for that.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 12:31   #4371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Dropping him down from the bike is too big a punishment for riding it wrongly.
Bikers are more accident prone so have some mercy!!

I completely agree with your concerns but imagine the number of misses these bikers may have in an entire day while squeezing through left side of any 4/4+ wheelers, i have not seen police penalising bikers for overtaking(squeezing) from left although it is a traffic violation. I have got used to a practice of not letting any biker to overtake/squeeze from left/right at crossings by maintaining just enough distance between divider and my vehicle having been a biker myself for a long time I can judge this distance. The experience I had on Sunday with the biker was totally careless attitude that I will not harm him, so my intention was only to make him touch my vehicle not the other way.
Old 11th September 2012, 12:35   #4372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
his bike's rear tyre had a kiss my car front bumper, he fell down
Happened a long time back.

A guy on his scooter had a similar fall. His speed must have been less than 15-20 kmph. His head hit the pavement and he died.

Not for the sake of the (idiot) biker but for your own, please do not do such things.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 12:55   #4373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I decided to give him a nice lesson and continued to move, his bike's rear tyre had a kiss my car front bumper, he fell down but without uttering a single word he picked up his bike and started to move, I made a point to tell him what was his mistake but he was in no mood to argue with me.
Isn't this rear-ending? Then its 100% your fault since you have to maintain safe distance (since you are following, he can't maintain the distance).
Old 11th September 2012, 13:07   #4374
Senior - BHPian

This is getting slightly off-topic, when somebody can criss-cross arrogantly without caring for atleast themselves should we just sit and watch the nuisance on road, I just dont understand the logic of bikers overtaking or squezzing from left and then turn right abruptly in front of your vehicle, this is the only thing I want to highlight. His fault was he had a world of time with him to turn right after my vehicle passed, but he abruptly overtook from left and turned right at a slow speed right in front of my car, my car was clearly visible to him.

Last edited by deehunk : 11th September 2012 at 13:12.
Old 11th September 2012, 13:18   #4375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk
This is getting slightly off-topic, when somebody can criss-cross arrogantly without caring for atleast themselves should we just sit and watch the nuisance on road, I just dont understand the logic of bikers overtaking or squezzing from left and then turn right abruptly in front of your vehicle, this is the only thing I want to highlight.
As a car owner I can, to an extent, sympathise with your thoughts (not your actions).

As a biker I simply disagree with you entirely, this is not because I'm taking a chalta-hai attitude or saying he was right in his actions; what you did over there wasn't correct, however wrong the biker was.

Good that he could walk away without any issues, just understand it could have gone wrong a 100 different ways.

For the record, a lot of us level-headed" blokes become quite a problem to truckers and buses on our city roads, when we overtake their bumbling slow vehicles from all sides. Be happy they don't take your attitude :-)

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th September 2012 at 13:21.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 13:46   #4376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Busy road or not, it's never legal to park on the right hand side (beside the median) of a divided road and it does not require an explicit "No Parking" sign. I'm not aware of any exceptions where such parking is actually legal.
The other very common example for this in Bangalore is the Madiwala market where everyone parks next to the median - this thread itself has pictures for that.
Both these roads the parking is not legal, in Meenakshi Mall sometimes I see some cops writing out challans. What is interesting is that the Mall itself has 3 floors of parking space, probably the biggest after mantri square.

In Madiwala Santay Road, I always make sure to drive in the center lane, right most is very risky.

One more Bad Driver item are the ones in small cars thinking they are driving a Porsche. Yesterday morning a Eon not wanting to let me get ahead accelerated so fast on the down ramp, I thought his car will fly, this happened on the Intel Flyover on Outer Ring Road
Old 11th September 2012, 13:54   #4377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Sometimes, legal provision is made to park next to the median. See attached satellite pic of a city in the USA. Direction of flow of traffic marked in green arrows.

But if such an explicit provision is not made, parking next to the median is illegal, dangerous, and stupid!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-median_parking.jpg  

Old 11th September 2012, 16:39   #4378
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I decided to give him a nice lesson and continued to move, his bike's rear tyre had a kiss my car front bumper, he fell down but without uttering a single word he picked up his bike and started to move, I made a point to tell him what was his mistake but he was in no mood to argue with me. My wife was scared but I had enough of such experiences and decided to teach these idiots a good lesson.

I hope you know Sir, that two wrongs don't make a right.

I also hope you know that whenever someone hits you from the back, it's always THAT persons fault. And it goes both ways. If you hit him from the back, you are at fault.

Your actions could be construed as an attempt to murder and you could be charged severely, had this happened in some other country.

I understand that in the heat of the moment and out of sheer frustration and anger, it seems like the right thing to do. I often find myself in that position. Why, it wasn't long ago when I'd gone on a rant on this very thread about some idiot biker who cut me off and deservedly received a thwack from my left ORVM. But I realized later that my actions were in complete haste. And I feel terribly guilty about it now. Even though it doesn't change the fact that the biker was a complete twat.

** I can relate to you completely, though. Bikers tend to 'hang-about' in the middle of two lanes and then choose which lane to get into depending on which one is moving faster. And the moment they choose one and realize that their lane is slowing down, they get back to their original lane.

And gaps. Don't even get me started. It's like they get sucked into some sort of vortex. And when you look at them, it's almost like they're being controlled by some superior power. As though they can't help but ride like idiots. Because the moment they get off their bikes and step into their offices and colleges, they're the most painfully nice people you'd ever get to meet. Out on the road though, it's war. **

It's important to keep calm in such situations. Not for the sake of the biker. Two hoots to him. But for you and your own peace of mind. I hope you don't take this personally. I don't want fellow BHPians to land themselves in trouble.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th September 2012 at 17:45. Reason: typo
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 17:24   #4379
Senior - BHPian

The problem with any and everyone on the road today seems to be that they assume other vehicles will continue at their existing direction, speed & momentum. This, I think is one of the main reasons for bikers swerving between cars even at high speeds. Why isnt it logical enough to think that the cars may accelerate or brake or swerve or change lanes due to some or the other reason?

At the same time, I have seen car drivers drive the same maniacal way too. There is no changing a moron regardless of the vehicle he or she drives. I could go on but I must have already ranted on this topic on this thread somewhere.

If people drive the same idiotic way, how can we rant differently?
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 17:42   #4380
BHPian

Quote:
decided to teach these idiots a good lesson.
I too agree to your thoughts but dont buy your actions. Sorry !

Had an incident a few days back in front of another Raheja apartment, this time in Koramangala. Narrow road. Cars waiting for signal. A guy on his bike is waiting on my left, constantly looking into my car. Has an old M800 driven by a senior citizen ahead of me. The lights turned green and the M800 slowly moves, and I follow. The biker, all of a sudden decides to squeeze to the right between the 2 of us. He gave no indication whatsoever all this while. He starts his move, and i had to hard brake even at that <10kmph speed. The car behind me was maintaining fair distance, so he didnt rear-end me. The shocker was a red swift dezire, decided to beat all of us to the finish and raced past through the right. He hit the bikers tyre as he zoomed past us. He for sure has a decent scratch . The biker is shoked, looks at me, could see the fear in his eyes. But then he thinks the unthinkable. He races the dezire. I catch them near thulp, having a major argument .

What in the world can those two morons argue about ? Who was more wrong probably !!! ?
mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed