Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 08:29   #8341
BHPian

Have posted my note on the video. Hopefully the dude will get the message. Else what can we do otherthan watchout for this dumbkopf and avoid him ramming to our cars
Old 24th May 2016, 10:21   #8342
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
AWhenever i travel to TN from KL, i notice the glaring absence of highway patrols on road. It's like the ACDC song, No stop signs, no speed limits, nobody's gonna slow me down...And for a person from KL where cops on highways are omnipresent to pounce on errant drivers and not to mention the numerous speed cams, TN highways are an entry into anarchy
TN Police does have highway patrol squads. In fact I see them pretty much within each district limit. But the sad fact is that they do not enforce the laws very aggressively. Either they remain stationary at one point, or just patrol their area at slow speed. Their focus seems to be more on keeping the roads clear.
Kerala on the other hand seems more aggressive traffic law enforcement, partly because this is a good revenue generation scheme and that pretty much every PS has an "unofficial" benchmark/target to meet for MV petty cases.
Old 24th May 2016, 10:44   #8343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
My grandfather, a teacher, used to say "A teacher hasn't taught, if a student hasn't learnt". Similarly, if the other driver hasn't got your signal then it means that you have not signalled at all.

What I mean is that you should have honked harder to get his attention. That guy is probably talking about you being a bad driver
I understand that but I cannot possibly be his teacher. He is not out on the roads to learn anything from me and beyond honking and flashing my lights, what else can I do? I believe that if you are driving on public roads, you should learn how to share them with other road users and if the guy is trundling along in the right lane at under 20kmph and he fails to see a bright Yellow WagonR flashing its lights and honking at him from behind, then just because he is incapable of driving correctly and using his open ORVMS and insensitive to his surroundings, I refuse to share any blame with him for his incompetence.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th May 2016 at 10:50.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 12:02   #8344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I understand that but I cannot possibly be his teacher. He is not out on the roads to learn anything from me and beyond honking and flashing my lights, what else can I do? I believe that if you are driving on public roads, you should learn how to share them with other road users and if the guy is trundling along in the right lane at under 20kmph and he fails to see a bright Yellow WagonR flashing its lights and honking at him from behind, then just because he is incapable of driving correctly and using his open ORVMS and insensitive to his surroundings, I refuse to share any blame with him for his incompetence.
I agree totally with your on this on IshaanIan, although for a different reason. When I freshly returned from the UK, I used to try and follow all the norms, flashing once and waiting for people to give way as I was clearly faster than them, and in the fast (right) lane.

However, after a month or so of driving within the city and on the Pune-Mumbai highway, I learnt flashing does not help. Hardly anyone moves over for you, unless you are driving an intimidating SUV or the ubiquitous Innova, and are a really aggressive flasher, threating to rear end people unless they move.

If anything, flashing has the opposite effect, there is this strange mentality which equates giving way to accepting defeat in some petty egoistic mental battle, as a result even if they were going to move to the left lane, they stick to the right.

Lots of such experiences later, I have unfortunately started overtaking from the left, which was seriously frowned upon in the UK. Now if I run into a slow moving vehicle large or small, I turn on the left indicator, check my IRVM, the left ORVM, check for other cars joining in from the other lanes to the left of the lane I am moving to, check for vehicles joining in from side roads which might merge on to the lane I am joining, check for 2-wheelers driving on the wrong side and then very cautiously overtake from the left when required.

No wonder my journeys take way longer than expected, Baner Pune to North Goa via Chorla took me 12 hours with 2 hours break the last time. A friend with an Alto claimed he did the same in 8 hours . This is the same friend, who also calmly told me the drive was smooth as his 5 year old slept most of the way lying down on the back seat, good going! "I would rather see my kid die, than see her cry", hows that for logic?

Last edited by harryputtar : 24th May 2016 at 12:17.
harryputtar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 12:11   #8345
Senior - BHPian

Check out the right side of the video :

This is in Hinjewadi, Pune. This is much before a section of the road where cops use traffic cones to allow two wheelers to use the right side during peak hours.
sajo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 12:29   #8346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
This is in Hinjewadi, Pune. This is much before a section of the road where cops use traffic cones to allow two wheelers to use the right side during peak hours.
You sir, are a good driver, pat yourself on the back:

1) In that one minute video, twice, you let those poor pedestrians cross the road safely without running for their lives.
2) You also gave way to the goods carrier taking a U-turn without closing in on him to pressurize him to complete his maneuver quickly.

This does not exactly look like peak time to me, but then when an incorrect practice becomes the norm, this is bound to happen.

On a separate note, there does seem to be rising awareness about helmets, at least in this area. I do not see so many riders adorning helmets, maybe in a week of driving.
harryputtar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 12:59   #8347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post

1) In that one minute video, twice, you let those poor pedestrians cross the road safely without running for their lives.
2) You also gave way to the goods carrier taking a U-turn without closing in on him to pressurize him to complete his maneuver quickly.
Ohh , I just realised this had happened, when I double checked that video. I was so fixated on the wrong siders..

Quote:
This does not exactly look like peak time to me, but then when an incorrect practice becomes the norm, this is bound to happen.
It was ~10 AM , and the road was pretty much empty, there was absolutely no justification for going on the wrong side. Heck, there is sometimes more congestion on the wrong side than on the right. Did I say this is a daily occurrence ?

Quote:
On a separate note, there does seem to be rising awareness about helmets, at least in this area. I do not see so many riders adorning helmets, maybe in a week of driving.
Could be also because companies do not allow people inside without a helmet.. Awareness however, seems to be rising as I see plenty of riders and their pillions wearing a helmet too!
Old 26th May 2016, 15:36   #8348
BHPian

TN 09 BY 4258 . At Chennai's Express Avenue parking. Should have been under the impression that the yellow line should be aligned to the middle of the Jeep, but mis-judged while backing up.
Buddy next time, try parking front in. You wont miss.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc_0010.jpg
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 21:41   #8349
BHPian

Status update of one of my schoolmates in Facebook.

Whatta Chase!! BMW vs Poorman's BMW! No no never call like that! The name is FORD!! #lifeat100mph #theri

Don't know what to tell of such people.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 08:28   #8350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Should have been under the impression that the yellow line should be aligned to the middle of the Jeep, but mis-judged while backing up.
He might make a good pilot, but a bad driver
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 17:21   #8351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Will BMTC count into this?

How can they drive with this "Weapon"
Please note the metallic fendor that is extending only to scratch anyone who comes around!

I(my car) had a narrow escape !

Attachment 1509886
Many of the older generation trucks have two chains with a hook at the end of each to secure their tailgates. You'll often see these tailgates secured with only one chain, especially if the truck is empty, with the other chain dancing around while the driver goes barrelling down the road. I shudder to think what would happen if the dancing hook snags an A pillar or helmet.
Old 27th May 2016, 17:26   #8352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
TN 09 BY 4258 . At Chennai's Express Avenue parking. Should have been under the impression that the yellow line should be aligned to the middle of the Jeep, but mis-judged while backing up.
Buddy next time, try parking front in. You wont miss.
I have no idea who owns this Thar and not defending it.

But it is possible that there was a car on its left which was badly parked and then left.
So when you arrived on the scene, only the Thar was present.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 10:07   #8353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

But it is possible that there was a car on its left which was badly parked and then left.

Quite possible, but unless it was the last parking in the entire place I wouldn't park next to badly parked vehicle due to this very reason. Hours later my car would still be parked badly and I won't be able to justify why.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 12:02   #8354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

So true. Precisely why all these photos of all wrong parkings cannot be taken at face value unless one sees the car getting parked. Reminds me of this joke

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-parking.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Quite possible, but unless it was the last parking in the entire place I wouldn't park next to badly parked vehicle due to this very reason. Hours later my car would still be parked badly and I won't be able to justify why.
That's totally impractical - why should I be worried about what others would think!! If at that moment, that was the most logical thing to do, then I would do it
mallumowgli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 12:51   #8355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
So true. Precisely why all these photos of all wrong parkings cannot be taken at face value unless one sees the car getting parked. Reminds me of this joke

Attachment 1511262

That's totally impractical - why should I be worried about what others would think!! If at that moment, that was the most logical thing to do, then I would do it

Aren't you bothered that you'll be blocking another parking spot? So it's a case of "he did it, so will I"?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks