Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2016, 13:00   #8326
BHPian

I too witness this scenario almost every evening, between Chembur and Sion, often with out-of-town ambulances on their way to Sion Hospital,caught helplessly in the rush hour traffic. Though, to be fair, often when a traffic cop at a signal notices the blaring siren or the flashing lights he stops other vehicles and opens up a path for the ambulance.
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 03:58   #8327
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Recently stumbled on this thread and I think it might be a good place to vent.
Was driving down the flyover next to the Royal Enfield showroom in Guttahali, around 12 in the afternoon, and as I came down from the flyover, there was a signal to let people cross and it was green but unfortunately a man and his wife in their purple Nano, were driving extremely slowly in the right lane. So I politely honked a couple of times (my WagonR's horn has a very apologetic tone ) and when they refused to budge, I simply assumed they were learners (like a lot of folk in Nanos are) struggling to deal with the flow of traffic, so I moved over to the left, flashed my lights and gave a little honk before over-taking them. While I'm driving past them on the left, this genius decides to move over to the left and fails to see me so as I whizzed past, he got shocked so much that he veered hard back into the right lane and I could literally see the comical purple Nano nearly topple-over in the rear-view mirror. Needless to say I had a little chuckle to myself and as I turned left after the petrol pump and drove to the spot where we take a U-turn to join Bellary road again, this Purple Nano catches up to me since he is going straight and the man and his wife both give me a stare-down and mouth some words in Kannada at me. I simply could not stop grinning at them.

I find that a lot of people in Bangalore just hate you for being a young driver and assume that just because you are able to smoothly drive at a decent pace above theirs (I employ engine braking, rev-matching, left foot braking etc. to control the shift of weight in my car and maintain speed or avoid unnecessary fumbling and movement when I need to alter pace/slow down/speed up), that you are upto no good speeding about. It is sad considering most folks crawl so slowly like they have no destination to go to and then they think you're the bad guy.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd May 2016 at 04:11.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:26   #8328
BHPian

Saw 3 interesting instances of bad driving practices this morning:

1) Was on my way from Baner to Aundh in Pune, via the newly opened road which connects Balewadi Road in Baner, to the road next to Medipoint hospital in Aundh. This road has cut down the travel time between those 2 locations from around 20 minutes to 5 minutes on a good day. Anyway, here I was cruising in the extreme left on my Jupiter when I notice an i20 Active, overtake me from the right at great speed. I notice it was an Asta variant, so thought to myself at least they have the safest variant with ABS and driver and passenger airbags. Just then the i20 started to pull over to the left, around 50 meters from where I was. I crossed them right after they pulled over, and noticed it was a young couple and neither the driver nor the passenger were wearing seat-belts. Seated in the front with no seat-belts, in a car with dual airbags? There are better ways to commit suicide. . All the more confusing, coming from someone who has presumably spent a lot extra, and bought the safest variant of a car. Beats me!

2) This was a close call for me personally, on the way back driving from Parihar Chowk to Baner phata, a motor cyclist coming from the opposite direction cut me right off when turning right into a side-lane. The sudden stop made me wish I had taken my car this morning. I thought about catching up with the guy and giving him a piece of my mind, but then this stuff is what road rage is made of, so I let it slide peacefully. Do miss the foot-brakes on my passion, they used to be so much more confidence inspiring. Both driver and pillion were without helmets of course!

3) Finally, on a lighter note, saw this man driving with a builder's yellow helmet on his head, what kind of protection does he think it will provide him
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:32   #8329
BHPian

Look at this person. (I am not sure if this is posted elsewhere; couldnt find, Mods- Delete if its a repeat please)

He is trying to secure a Speed Record in His Creta (with no seatbelts- the seatbelt warning sign & one hand on the camera) Hats off
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:41   #8330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
...Seated in the front with no seat-belts, in a car with dual airbags? ... All the more confusing, coming from someone who has presumably spent a lot extra, and bought the safest variant of a car.
You really think they bought the safest variant? Come on! They bought the Asta because it has Auto AC, Auto headlamps, Touch-screen Entertainment system, Projector headlamps, and of course it gives them the bragging rights to have bought the "Full option" or "Top end".
silversteed is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:05   #8331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
You really think they bought the safest variant? Come on! They bought the Asta because it has Auto AC, Auto headlamps, Touch-screen Entertainment system, Projector headlamps, and of course it gives them the bragging rights to have bought the "Full option" or "Top end".
Pramod. I doubt if people have the awareness about how to use the features provided to them. For eg if you consider a TV, despite so many features, the 3 options that they use frequently are ON, OFF and TOGGLE between channels.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:07   #8332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
He is trying to secure a Speed Record in His Creta (with no seatbelts- the seatbelt warning sign & one hand on the camera) Hats off
Shocking, I lost it early on at the point when he was circling around his car, specially when he was filming and was next to the highway, where they may be hundreds of crazy drivers like him waiting to run him over. In other countries, this stunt itself would have got him arrested.

The speeds would have lead to an immediate disqualification from driving, and impounding of his car in the UK. In India with highways which have unmarked openings, and jaywalkers, this is like signing his own death warrant, and for what?

Quote:
Ah, it did not strike me that this may be the case. In my circle of friends, there are many driving the base versions of cars like the i10, unashamedly, with kids either in there spouse's lap, or sometimes sleeping in the back, on "long journeys". My attempts to urge them to get car seats, is met with a strong argument that, the kids will "cry" in the seat .

Anyway, am yet to meet the breed you are referring to, but I am sure they exist!
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:20   #8333
Distinguished - BHPian

1. There is no right to overtake the slower person in front.

2. There is an obligation not to obstruct other traffic.

Somewhere, there exists a magical balance of these two things that makes everybody as happy as can be expected. But probably not in Indian cites :(
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:20   #8334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ah man! That's a recipe for disaster. And numbskull posted video with his license plate as well! TN Police department has a FB page? This video should be posted there. Person is a menace to himself and others on road.

Not wearing seat belt is his deathwish but by driving like that with a camera to boot is being deathdealer to others on road :(

Sorry if i'm mistaken, but that look's like the highways in TN. Whenever i travel to TN from KL, i notice the glaring absence of highway patrols on road. It's like the ACDC song, No stop signs, no speed limits, nobody's gonna slow me down...And for a person from KL where cops on highways are omnipresent to pounce on errant drivers and not to mention the numerous speed cams, TN highways are an entry into anarchy

Last edited by deathwalkr : 23rd May 2016 at 16:24.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:56   #8335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That sent shivers down my spine. Apart from all that is mentioned above, the fellow has those big bull bars on the car. Pretty sure that will impact the airbag sensors and the functioning of the airbags. But am sure he has no clue about all that. :(

Was reminded of a saying in the Malayalam language that translates into. "Giving a garland to a monkey". Used to describe situations where someone gets something that is neither understood nor appreciated which can lead to negative situations.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:37   #8336
BHPian

Will BMTC count into this?

How can they drive with this "Weapon"
Please note the metallic fendor that is extending only to scratch anyone who comes around!

I(my car) had a narrow escape !

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20160523_101653045.jpg
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:41   #8337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I doubt if people have the awareness about how to use the features provided to them.
Those looking for vanity features will definitely know how to use them - after all you do fiddle with the playlist controls, AC temperature setting, etc a lot. And those who want to brag about their "full option" vehicle will be happy to show (off) these features. However, they can't do much with the Airbags or ABS or let alone seat belts- oh, that nasty contraption that causes an ugly crease on the party wear or a well-ironed 'khadar' shirt/kurta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Anyway, am yet to meet the breed you are referring to, but I am sure they exist!
Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Was reminded of a saying in the Malayalam language that translates into. "Giving a garland to a monkey".
Please do not insult our ancestors by comparing this imbecile with monkeys. I had a small brush-up with a similar moron, driving an Ecosport. The hero was fiddling with his phone (or was it something else?), looking down and grinning, while snaking his way on the fast lane at no more than 40kmph. I was doing decent speeds and passed him, left him in a puff of smoke. The bloke took it personally, probably and was tailgating me from the next toll gate, which was not too far from where I overtook him. I had the option to smoke him, but pulled over at an eatery, and spent a lot more time than what I usually do, so that this guy would meet his fate - whatever it is, as long as it doesn't involve me or my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
I(my car) had a narrow escape !
I had to live with a few scratches on my left fender when some protruding metal sheets near the front bumper of a BMTC contraption scraped my car as the bus veered right, from a bus stop. You, my friend, are very lucky.

Last edited by silversteed : 23rd May 2016 at 17:50.
silversteed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:54   #8338
BHPian

Quote:
Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real
I am not sure what you mean Silversteed, I do agree this is a very real possibility, and indicated as much in my reply to your post.
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:54   #8339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
so I moved over to the left, flashed my lights and gave a little honk before over-taking them. While I'm driving past them on the left, this genius decides to move over to the left and fails to see me so as I whizzed past, he got shocked so much that he veered hard back into the right lane and I could literally see the comical purple Nano nearly topple-over in the rear-view mirror.
My grandfather, a teacher, used to say "A teacher hasn't taught, if a student hasn't learnt". Similarly, if the other driver hasn't got your signal then it means that you have not signalled at all.

What I mean is that you should have honked harder to get his attention. That guy is probably talking about you being a bad driver

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 24th May 2016 at 00:32. Reason: day = say typo corrected
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 07:02   #8340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a dangerous moron
Judging by the comments on youtube, there are idiots who consider this a important achievement and urge to reach higher top speeds.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks