Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2022, 16:03   #11986
BHPian

Re: When will this craze stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
There is already a thread to highlight the bad drivers here (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em). This can be moved/merged there.
I did think about that, but this is not just bad driving. This is worse, recklessly endangering the kid, themselves and others on the road. That's why I put it as a separate thread, and this is the second instance I have seen this happen in the past month (the first one was not captured on my dashcam since I had forgotten to insert the memory card).

Request to mods - please merge this in to the other thread if it makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @og_adi View Post
While I understand you have blurred the car's number plate for the owner's privacy, such idiots should be exposed. It'll be helpful for the police to take necessary action.
And yes, I did think about that too. I have not blurred out any in my other videos, but someone in my friends circle said it is better to do that. Does anyone here on the forum feel that blurring is unnecessary?
asmr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 17:17   #11987
Senior - BHPian

Many a times I have seen specimen like this driving in Electronic City elevated highway in Bangalore, at 100+ speeds and kids popping out from their shoulder. What's worst is these are so called educated guys.
Old 6th May 2022, 18:04   #11988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
...no reason...
What craze? It's how people perceive cars and driving to be - a rolling picnic platform on the road, with added fun thrown in when such accessories as sunroofs are part of the car. Popping out of the sunroof is standard usage in my city - watch this:

The craze won't end - especially when you have rules like this: https://ihrpoe.co.in/driving-license-new-rules/
Quote:
...anyone who has passed the exam at a state-accredited driving training center is exempt from taking the driving test at the RTO when applying for a driver’s license. This means you won’t have to take the RTO driving test. The private driver training center certificate is the only basis for your driver’s license.
  • For two and four-wheeler training centers, a minimum of one acre of land should be available. Two acres of land should be available for heavy vehicle training.
  • There should be a stimulator and a test track.
  • The trainer should have a high school diploma and at least five years of driving experience.
  • The center should have information technology and a biometric system.
  • Should conduct high-quality driving track tests in accordance with the transport authority’s curriculum.
  • Light vehicle training will last 29 hours and must be completed within four weeks of beginning. It will be divided into two sections: theory and practice. Theory takes 8 hours and practical driving takes 21 hours.
And how good are the driver training centres and their trainers? Here's a video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
There is already a thread to highlight the bad drivers here (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em). This can be moved/merged there.
I agree.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 6th May 2022 at 18:06.
SS-Traveller is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 18:33   #11989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What craze? It's how people perceive cars and driving to be - a rolling picnic platform on the road, with added fun thrown in when such accessories as sunroofs are part of the car. Popping out of the sunroof is standard usage in my city
That plus "Hey will you look at me?! I am in an expensive car with cool life" factor. The need to show off is so high where I live too. Honestly the roads are so dusty I won't keep the window open forget having rolling picnic through moonroof. So I assume it mostly boils down to attention grabbing.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th May 2022 at 13:58. Reason: thru = through. Please type in full, no SMS language or short forms / acronyms. Thanks.
amol4184 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 23:35   #11990

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

So this happened on a short return trip to home a couple hours back in Delhi. I was minding my own business on the right side of the road for a turn, a red maruti first scratched my door with their right mirror, then proceeded to cut in front of me and then gestured a "come at me bro" or something of the sort once the lights turned green.
Needless to say I did not give them a minute of my time.
PunchsucKr is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 20:11   #11991
BHPian

Quote:
All of this with a kid sticking out of the sunroof.

https://Youtu.be/qBA_IIS4ceU
We are deterministic individuals living in a probabilistic world.
When people do such acts, they have to keep in mind, What can go wrong with such a maneuver.

There is an interesting concept called Markov Chains, where the probability of next event depends on the most recent event, but not on the entire history of events.

We have to ensure that, As far as possible, we should avoid putting ourselves in situations where a single turn of bad luck could force us to start over from zero or do not start at all.

Markov Chains can be used in day to day life to improve our decision-making.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 19:21   #11992
BHPian

Wrong side driving on the Trichy- Chennai Highway at Asanur.

Vehicles going to Trichy through Asanur, instead of turning left on the NH and then doing a U turn, turning right and driving on the wrong side.

Last edited by Duckdoc : 9th May 2022 at 19:28.
Duckdoc is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 16:41   #11993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And yes, I did think about that too. I have not blurred out any in my other videos, but someone in my friends circle said it is better to do that. Does anyone here on the forum feel that blurring is unnecessary?
Not only is blurring unnecessary, it is necessary to show the number plate so that anyone (including yourself) can tweet the video to police in that jurisdiction.

Do not be cowed into fear, because the idiot has an expensive car.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 19:55   #11994
Senior - BHPian

POV of an ex-sunroof-stand-outer

I've said this before but I'll say it again: as someone who's done this often, I think the dangers of this are not as clear as you'd expect.

I can understand why someone would want to point fingers at the parents for encouraging this, and while it's easy to say 'common sense' should stop people from doing this, believe me, it's not that simple.

I'm confident this is a big reason for the growing popularity of sunroofs in the first place, and I also think most consumers think this is its designated use. We sure did. As late as 2018 I begged my parents to get the L&K Octavia just so we could stand out of the sunroof.

The bigger problem here is that people don't like being told that they haven't really got what they thought they paid for (my parents were horribly confused when I tried telling them the sunroof was for ventilation), which is why I think it would be ideal if they could get explicit communication from a source they're likely to trust, like the vehicle manufacturer themselves, that the sunroof is not designed for standing out of.

Another problem? Manufacturers and dealers aren't likely to convey this to consumers, because if the consumer realised the sunroof wasn't as useful as they had thought, they'd pick a lower variant.

That's why I think it would be a good idea if the Government mandated a permanent warning label on the headliner, much like the visor warning for using a rearward-facing child seat on a seat with an active airbag. Once there's significant awareness of the hazards they could even penalise it by law (if it isn't already?).

There's no way I want to justify my parents' actions or mine, what we did was wrong, but I genuinely think we wouldn't have done it if we were better informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
show the number plate
Quote:
Originally Posted by @og_adi View Post
such idiots should be exposed
Sure, shaming them publicly is one way to go but I wish there was a nicer alternative: somehow informing those poor parents how dangerous it is.
ron178 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 20:50   #11995
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: POV of an ex-sunroof-stand-outer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
That's why I think it would be a good idea if the Government mandated a permanent warning label on the headliner, much like the visor warning for using a rearward-facing child seat on a seat with an active airbag. Once there's significant awareness of the hazards they could even penalise it by law (if it isn't already?).
It could read something like "You should be wearing your seat belt anyway." It's awfully difficult to stand out of a sunroof when wearing a seatbelt!

But yes, all these safety issues require education. I wonder how anyone can not realise the danger --- but there may well have been a time when I didn't. I grew up in the UK pre-seat belt laws and needed a bump on the head to make me understand what they were for.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 06:39   #11996
BANNED

Have you ever felt that there are too many idiots around in every sphere?

That you seem to be among the few who, for some strange reason, thinks rationally?

That intelligence can be a drawback at times?

That the mantra “ignorance is bliss” appears to make the world go around?

Welcome to digital reality where thinking is done either by your mobile, Alexa, Echo or homepod. Not by the human.

As they say use it or lose it.

We’re going to see more idiots everywhere. Not just on the road. The white Jaguar only shows you how it’s done when you have more money than brains.
EV NXT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 08:16   #11997
BHPian

Quote:
This was recorded on my dashcam few days back while returning to Chennai.

The new Jaguar seems to have spiked adrenaline and very much reduced common sense of the folks in the car. Not only did the car approach me so fast from the left that I had to move to my right in anticipation of a left side overtake, the driver thought it was funny to do a swing back and forth between lanes for no reason after crossing the speed breaker. All of this with a kid sticking out of the sunroof.

Just wondering, if the manufacturers install some sort of sensor in these sunroof in open condition. Purpose being, that once the sunroof is open and the sensor detects any person/object protruding out, it will either slow down the car or wont allow the driver to start moving. Just a weird thought.
Old_Salt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 09:54   #11998
BHPian

Quote:
This was recorded on my dashcam few days back while returning to Chennai.

The new Jaguar seems to have spiked adrenaline and very much reduced common sense of the folks in the car. Not only did the car approach me so fast from the left that I had to move to my right in anticipation of a left side overtake, the driver thought it was funny to do a swing back and forth between lanes for no reason after crossing the speed breaker. All of this with a kid sticking out of the sunroof.

There is no end to such stupidity. People who have the money to get a high end car seem to forget the dangers of such unsafe driving with a child standing on the seat with the sunroof open. Have seen this multiple times not just in Mumbai, Chennai, Navi Mumbai, Hyderabad and even in Bengaluru.

Common sense should dictate that such foolish behaviour which can be potentially risking death is avoided.

I just hope , we don't see campaigns on tv like the ones encouraging wearing helmet or seatbelts are pushed to sensitise such people.
t3ofil4us is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 13:52   #11999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
Have you ever felt that there are too many idiots around in every sphere? ... ... ...

Welcome to digital reality where thinking is done either by your mobile, Alexa, Echo or homepod. Not by the human.

As they say use it or lose it.
Stupidity is timeless, ageless. Humanity did not need Facebook to become stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Salt View Post
Just wondering, if the manufacturers install some sort of sensor in these sunroof in open condition. ... ... ... Just a weird thought.
I had the same thought, so I have to say it is not weird at all!

I was thinking of the guillotines in the printing works of a company I used to work for. They sliced piles of card effortlessly, and would do the same to body parts if it had been possible. There were two switches, which had to be operated by two hands, and still there was an array of sensors between the operator and the cutting area.

Sunroof sensors might be possible, although there would be cons as well as pros. But I doubt we'll see them. They add cost to the car, and there are probably not enough such accidents to attract legislation.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th May 2022 at 13:53.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 14:15   #12000
BHPian

Driving on curves brings out the worst in many drivers in our day to day experience.
These 'drive safe' videos made by my colleague and bhpian, who for some reason never posts on this forum, are illuminating.

Duckdoc is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks