Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2022, 13:35   #11971
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdoc View Post
Overtaking from the left when there is no gap and avoidance almost made me hit the median. With vehicles behind, sudden braking was not an option.

https://Youtu.be/2w_h_msZhBQ
I deal with such drivers on a daily basis while commuting from home to office and vice versa. Such drivers are really a pain and they jeopardize the safety of everyone on the road. I'm planning to install a dashcam on my Honda City and do let me now the most cost effective and efficient option, BHPians. There's always an accident waiting to happen in peak hour traffic, especially in a city like Mumbai.
Old 20th April 2022, 14:52   #11972
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
he says he couldn't apply brake
I have once, at creeping speed with no throttle in a manual, hit a parked car, when I had some 5 seconds to brake. Just couldn't brake while everything was happening in slow motion.

Quote:
How does one fails to apply brake is beyond me
How did I fail to brake that time at low speed and enough time is beyond me as well.

Glad to know both of you got out of it safely
One is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 18:51   #11973
BHPian

Quote:
I too parked my car bit away and to the side, got down confronted him and he says he couldn't apply brake How does one fails to apply brake is beyond me.
Never get out of the car my friend
Sumer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 12:10   #11974
BHPian

Rashly driven Kerala private bus narrowly avoids hitting scooter. Video in the below news link:

https://www.manoramaonline.com/fastt...overspeed.html
motorsan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 15:00   #11975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Rashly driven Kerala private bus narrowly avoids hitting scooter.
Oh my... that bus driver must lose their license. I hope RTO is taking note.

(this is in Feroke I believe).
Old 21st April 2022, 16:33   #11976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rashly driven Kerala private bus narrowly avoids hitting scooter. Video in the below news link:
Just another day in the job for them. Of the few that get caught on cam like this, many do so freely putting everyone on the road in peril.

I've travelled in these private buses before on this route and man oh man, not a moment goes by without saying a prayer.

Lesson learnt, take the train!
Old 22nd April 2022, 00:02   #11977
BHPian

Quote:

https://www.manoramaonline.com/fastt...overspeed.html
I skipped a heartbeat in there

I'm sure the scooterist would have gone home straight and hugged his family.
Old 22nd April 2022, 00:40   #11978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Here's a compilation of a few clips from my dashcam, recorded over the last week or so.

https://Youtu.be/f0GZCNaCVng
Ohh goshh! Very scary. Seeing these and followin TBHP, I got a dashcam(70mai M300) installed asap in my Honda city. Plus, the CMRL works in Kodambakkam area piles up traffic and it's so frustrating to take the stretch.
5haS_0209 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 21:42   #11979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Here's a compilation of a few clips from my dashcam, recorded over the last week or so.

https://Youtu.be/f0GZCNaCVng
Probably the last set of clips, for the time being, on this thread from my dashcam. Nothing dramatic like some of the videos seen on the many threads today, but these are stuff I am sure that most of us can relate to since we face them on a daily basis.

asmr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 16:40   #11980
BHPian

Wanted to share my observations on bad drivers over the last month here in Madras.

For the past month, I have been going to drop my son for football coaching at around 6am. The first instance is at the Tidel Park signal where West Avenue meets OMR. Many drivers ignore the red signal and jump it without even bothering about other vehicles. The worst part is that if I'm in the front, I do get a lot of honks and flashing lights asking me to go ahead. Till date I have refused to budge. These vehicles include government buses, two wheelers, cars and the most dangerous lot would be the private bus drivers. To be frank it is a disaster waiting to happen.

The second instance is when I try to join the ECR at the RTO Office signal. Despite having a red signal, a lot of vehicles give scant regard and keep moving on. On one fine day, I had the green signal and as I was slowly joining the ECR, a police Bolero was coming pretty fast from the right and he braked pretty hard as he didn't expect me to cross even though it was green for me. I still remember the look on his face - it was something like "how dare you cross into my path".

Another common occurrence I have come across is two wheelers trying to overtake you from the left despite indicating that you are going to make a left turn with indicators. This behavior is pretty common and frankly I'm scared of the fact that one day some driver may actually get hit and the consequences that follow such a sequence. They try to squeeze in and actually in the process may easily get crushed or injured. Hope common sense prevails among them soon.
Satish Pari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 17:40   #11981
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satish Pari View Post
Another common occurrence I have come across is two wheelers trying to overtake you from the left ... ... ... They try to squeeze in and actually in the process may easily get crushed or injured. Hope common sense prevails among them soon.
The other day, a two-wheels guy was trying to nose in to do a left-hand overtake. I indicated my left turn; he moved to the right and overtook.

I was impressed! But why should one be impressed by normal good driving!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 19:13   #11982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Just another day in the job for them. Of the few that get caught on cam like this, many do so freely putting everyone on the road in peril.

I've travelled in these private buses before on this route and man oh man, not a moment goes by without saying a prayer.

Lesson learnt, take the train!
I remember once when I visited my granny's place for vacation, I accompanied her driver to a town close by and was to return in one of these buses that run on the highway between Calicut and some places towards the North. Just like other highway sections in Kerala that these buses ran on, Calicut-Vadakarra or Kannur, is a race track.

Me being a kid, ran to the available window seat which happened to be on the right rear and the person accompanying me asked me to sit at another available seat which was an aisle seat. He explained that the tail sways when these buses speed due to constant cutting in and out and there are chances of getting side swiped.
I used to travel on this highway quite often and did most of my early driving as well here and it was fun to watch these buses ripping and fish-tailing and although it looked fun, nothing else about it was good.

Last edited by tharian : 28th April 2022 at 19:15.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 15:25   #11983
BHPian

When will this craze stop?

This was recorded on my dashcam few days back while returning to Chennai.

The new Jaguar seems to have spiked adrenaline and very much reduced common sense of the folks in the car. Not only did the car approach me so fast from the left that I had to move to my right in anticipation of a left side overtake, the driver thought it was funny to do a swing back and forth between lanes for no reason after crossing the speed breaker. All of this with a kid sticking out of the sunroof.

asmr is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 15:43   #11984
Senior - BHPian

Re: When will this craze stop?

There is already a thread to highlight the bad drivers here (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em). This can be moved/merged there.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 15:48   #11985
BHPian

Re: When will this craze stop?

While I understand you have blurred the car's number plate for the owner's privacy, such idiots should be exposed. It'll be helpful for the police to take necessary action.

Last edited by @og_adi : 6th May 2022 at 15:50.
@og_adi is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks