Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2021, 11:11   #11836
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
...the driver gets impatient and tries to nudge rest of the vehicles in the other lane to get past the truck as quick as possible.
With such drivers, I just assume that they are on some mission to save the world from imminent danger, and quietly make way for them.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 11:16   #11837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Here we have buses doing that.
True that. Be it Private or KSRTC, the majority of them are morons with no regards to other vehicles. This one, a local bus which ply on a 30 km stretch, had blaring horns and flashing lights as usual. I almost had to pull over to give him space. Idiot almost took out a scooter while trying to pass it. Lucky for the scooter guy that there was just enough run off area.

You can also spot the lorry parked on the curve and the one eyed Honda City playing supporting roles in this near disaster.

Keeleri_Achu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 19:02   #11838
Distinguished - BHPian

If the cop is not there, the signal shall not be followed. That's the attitude of the public. I stopped at the red light, only to be honked at, by the bus in my back. I moved to the right to let them pass.

Funny thing is, the signal turned green within 30 seconds and these guys were stuck in the pile up ahead.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 09:49   #11839
BHPian

A typical day in town. A white SCross was reversing onto the road, so I stop to give him space. An impatient rider, whose life is too short to waste 2 seconds, tries to overtake the SCross, but couldn't get a gap. Meanwhile, another biker takes a right turn onto the edge of the opposite lane A bit ahead, the private bus proceeds to bully all the smaller vehicles to the edge, just because he can!

The hilariously, comically, pathetic situation of NH66 in North Kerala. Yes, what you are seeing is a National Highway! Workers loading/unloading stuff onto the road, parked lorries taking up half a lane, people casually walking across, dude in the white WagonR reversing, all of this on a National Highway!

GeneralJazz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 20:28   #11840
Distinguished - BHPian

Have space, will park...

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20211205_182508.jpg

Their tribe keeps growing and such drivers get on my nerves. I myself had parked my car 50 meters away from a supermarket where my spouse went to shop while this man wanted to visit a medical store next to it and parked right in front of it.

Hence they say, it is not how you drive but where you park.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 21:05   #11841
Distinguished - BHPian

This guy was playing a movie in the screen he had foolishly installed over his IRVM. Can't imagine how irritating and distracting something like that will be, specially while driving at night

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20211205_182304.jpg

PS: Excuse the quality of the cropped pic taken by the shotgun

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 5th December 2021 at 21:07.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 19:16   #11842
Distinguished - BHPian

1. I saw the Vellfire closing in without slowing down, and gave way. The Fiesta did not notice the vellfire. Vellfire driver who clearly knew that the Fiesta is going to switch to left lane did not care at all. Worse, the etios following the vellfire too did not care to slowdown, even when the Fiesta was already half in the left lane.

2. The signal turned yellow for a duration of 3 seconds before turning red. Guess that isn't enough for this creta to stop

PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 19:35   #11843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
1. I saw the Vellfire closing in without slowing down, and gave way. The Fiesta did not notice the vellfire. Vellfire driver who clearly knew that the Fiesta is going to switch to left lane did not care at all. Worse, the etios following the vellfire too did not care to slowdown, even when the Fiesta was already half in the left lane.
Nice of you to put on the indicator (audible in the video) but give way to the other vehicles as it was rightly their lane - unfortunately the Fiesta didn't even do that basic step. I generally (when in the position of the Vellfire/Etios in such situations) give way to vehicles that put on their indicators, to kind of 'appreciate' them following such basic highway etiquettes.

Unfortunately this is quite a common scene these days especially on highways with truck traffic.
ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 14:04   #11844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
A villager randomly changed direction from fast lane to a cut in the median, intending to join the service road.
We were driving at our usual 95-100 kph speeds.

One must always anticipate the worst. Believe you me, I was actually thinking what if this guy switches to the middle lane? And he did, but he intended to switch not just one lane, but three!
Great to see you were able to take the right action and save everyone, including the suicidal fellow.

If you have not done so, do spend some time in MH around Pune district. It improves your instincts, reflexes & 6th, 7th & 8th senses unlike anything. Henceforth you'll not feel that these incidents are worth reporting at all, as that's how most folks drive/ride in this nick of the woods .
Reinhard is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 17:40   #11845
BHPian

Quote:

A villager randomly changed direction from fast lane to a cut in the median, intending to join the service road.
We were driving at our usual 95-100 kph speeds.

One must always anticipate the worst. Believe you me, I was actually thinking what if this guy switches to the middle lane? And he did, but he intended to switch not just one lane, but three!
You did well to control the vehicle. The way the biker moved (or didn't)it seems like a regular occurrence for him. Pity the police rarely does anything about such idiots who put multiple lives at rish but is ready to cut a Challan for many more minor offenses.

Highway safety is entirely left in the drivers hands. Slow moving trucks with rarely working back lights, tempos and autos and cab drivers driving at fuel saving speeds in the overtake lane on highways. Not to mention the occurrence of speedbreakers, signals and unexpected road work without any prior warning. Indian roads are a "free for all" lottery in most places.

One solution is to have Dashcam and safety features like ADAS. But then people like the biker in your video will only exploit these features and become even more careless than they are right now.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th December 2021 at 05:20. Reason: Quote tag fixed
PowerSpike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 19:16   #11846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
He braked and the xylo stopped a couple of inches before the barricades. I was happy that he learnt the lesson. But back in the mind, I was feeling pity for the passengers in the taxi and thought I should have left of my ego and allowed him to pass through, so that those passengers wouldn't have suffered for this peanut brained Taxi driver.
Lucky for you, the situation didn't turn for the worse.
I pulled off a similar move on a rashly driven taxi on Mysore road. Unluckily for me, the moron caught up to me when I was stuck in traffic in the next town. He got out and started banging his fists on my windows and was threatening to kill me, in Kannada. I also happily gave him a piece of mind in Hindi, without realizing that he could be a local and all this was happening in the middle of Mandya, of all places. Luckily, my friend who was behind in his car came out and sorted out the situation, pretending to be a third person. More importantly, the taxi driver was also probably not a goon and was just venting his anger. Otherwise, things would have been different.

Last edited by Jaguar : 9th December 2021 at 19:18.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 11:56   #11847
BHPian

Quote:
8th October, I and wifey were driving from Bangalore to Bhubaneshwar.
I've been itching to do this drive. Good to know 60:40 is doable! Haven't been able to convince my wife though (we also have a 6 year old to manage)!
puntOOs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 13:30   #11848
BHPian

Motorcyclist cutting across in spite of the left indicator being turned on.
I blamed myself as my cardinal rule is to stay so close to the kerb so as not to allow any space to any motorcyclist

Duckdoc is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 22:40   #11849
Distinguished - BHPian

This lorry guy did not even check his rear view mirror before getting into the right lane. I then find him driving with his earphones on Must have been less than 25 years old. That's quite some attention deficit to be driving a large truck.

PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 00:20   #11850
anb
BHPian

Auto rickshaw riding through middle of the road

anb is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks