Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 16:48   #46
BHPian

Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

^^ Even i dont think its worth taking the risk. I would most probably take Mysore - Calicut road.

Plannning to start from bangalore by 12:30pm to 1pm on Friday.
Old 21st December 2011, 09:19   #47
BHPian

Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

Any updates for today, 21-Dec?

I have planned a Blr-Madurai-Rameswaram-Kanyakumari-Kovalam-Blr between 25-31 Dec. Due to this Mullaperiyar dam related tensions, I am in a dilemma as to what to do.

- Should I keep the trip only to TN state- meaning go to Madurai, Rameswaram & Kanyakumari and back to Blr (drop Kovalam)?
- Will it still be risky to do this trip, even if I donot enter KL state?

Note- I would be traveling with family and in my KA registered car.

So please advise!
Old 21st December 2011, 09:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Road blockades are underway in many of the TN-KL border roads, including Coimbatore-Palakkad, as per TV news reports.
Old 21st December 2011, 10:57   #49
BHPian

Any updates for today on the Gudalur - Nilambur road? Are the road blockades being effected here too?

I read in Mathrubhumi today about some stray incidents of KSRTC buses being blocked in the Gudalur - Sultan Bathery route.
Old 21st December 2011, 16:00   #50
Team-BHP Support

What about going via Pollachi and bypassing Palakkad?
Old 21st December 2011, 16:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
What about going via Pollachi and bypassing Palakkad?
Read in Manorama this morning that a truck carrying fish to TN was attacked and damaged at Pollachi. My suggestion would to avoid interior road to get to Kerala; there could be more trouble than that on the NH.

Now I'm wondering which route to take when returning to Bangalore!
Old 21st December 2011, 19:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post
Any updates for today on the Gudalur - Nilambur road? Are the road blockades being effected here too?

I read in Mathrubhumi today about some stray incidents of KSRTC buses being blocked in the Gudalur - Sultan Bathery route.
Gudalur-Nadugani-Nilambur route was totally blocked today, but should have reopened now.

Pollachi-Palakkad & also the shorter routes from KG Chavadi were also blocked today.

Heavy traffic pile-up in the Walayar border.

Tomorrow is another day, wonder what it will bring!
Old 22nd December 2011, 07:50   #53
BHPian

I need to reach to Palakkad from Bangalore (starting at 5 AM on 24-Dec-2011)
I am planning to take this route

Bangalore -> Mysore -> Gundulpet -> Bandipur -> Vytheri -> Kozhikode -> Palakkad

I have few questions:
1) Is the above route safest and quickest to Palakkad ?
2) How about the road conditions - I know there are few options left but still..
3) Is there a route to skip going thru Kozhikode city
4) Any other shorter route from waynad to palakkad
5) Any idea about the distance and the time to cover it (approximately)

Thanks,
Dileep

Last edited by blrboy : 22nd December 2011 at 07:50. Reason: need to mention the date of travel
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
I need to reach to Palakkad from Bangalore (starting at 5 AM on 24-Dec-2011)
I am planning to take this route

Bangalore -> Mysore -> Gundulpet -> Bandipur -> Vytheri -> Kozhikode -> Palakkad

I have few questions:
1) Is the above route safest and quickest to Palakkad ?
2) How about the road conditions - I know there are few options left but still..
3) Is there a route to skip going thru Kozhikode city
4) Any other shorter route from waynad to palakkad
5) Any idea about the distance and the time to cover it (approximately)
No need to go till Calicut, you can turn left at Thamarassery and go via Mukkam-Areekode to Manjeri and then connect to the Calicut-Palakkad Highway. (There are several options to get onto this highway from Manjeri, none of which I have taken except Manjeri-Malappuram which may be the longest option. Manjeri-Pandikkad-Melathoor-Mannarkkad looks the shortest. Guess someone else can fill in on this, or you'll need to enquire with locals at Manjeri)

In any case, the road is quite decent till Manjeri, so will certainly save you some time compared to going via Calicut byepass.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:01   #55
BHPian

How is the mukkam -> manjeri -> pattambi -> wadakkanchery -> thrissur stretch ? Has anyone travelled on this route recently ?
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:40   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
No need to go till Calicut, you can turn left at Thamarassery and go via Mukkam-Areekode to Manjeri and then connect to the Calicut-Palakkad Highway. (There are several options to get onto this highway from Manjeri, none of which I have taken except Manjeri-Malappuram which may be the longest option. Manjeri-Pandikkad-Melathoor-Mannarkkad looks the shortest. Guess someone else can fill in on this, or you'll need to enquire with locals at Manjeri)
You can also travel Manjeri - Perinthalmanna and connect to Calicut - Palakkad road from there. I had travelled the Manjeri - Mannarkad route around three years back and at that time I found it to be a slower option (narrower roads). I am not aware of the current condition of this route though.
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

I read news reports of MDMK party cadres led by Vaiko is blocking the entry points from/to Kerala at borders. Check on the latest situation before taking decision to drive on these roads. Also keep buffer time for any delays due to these situations beyond control.
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

In any case, the road is quite decent till Manjeri, so will certainly save you some time compared to going via Calicut byepass.
I am from Manjeri and can suggest the best route and the shortest is as Kala has posted. Thamarasherry>Areakode>Melatoor>Mannarghat. The roads have been repaired recently and its good to drive and is scenic all the way. Enjoy you drive this vacation season
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:41   #59
BHPian

Yes, this Mukkam-Areekode-Manjeri route is good. My friend visited Shabarimala last week.

@blrboy: Here is the Google map route
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/11201537.cms
should give a perspective.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks