Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 01:19   #1
BHPian

Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar issue

Dear All, This is the time of the year when we (people who work in other states) travel to our home/native and mostly every Bhpian would love to drive . Unfortunately there is tension between the Tamilnadu and Kerala (the state borders being the most vulnerable) and it is quite challenging for Keralites traveling to Tamilnadu and Viceversa. Please note that this thread is not for discussing the "mullaperiyar issue" , but only to guide all our fellow Bhpians to drive home safe be it Kerala or Tamilnadu.

To start with I can say that I drove from Cochin to Bangalore last week, I entered Tamilnadu through Valayar/coimbatore border @ 11PM and had no issues driving till Bangalore. I have heard mixed comments on people driving viceversa and some say driving in the day is a risk now as you/vehicle can be targetted if passing through a protest demo. The Theny / Idukki border is a strict no no as of now.

Few things to consider
  1. Is it Ok Driving a KA vehicle through Tamilnadu (if you are a Keralite) or vice versa escpecially in the borders?
  2. What are the risks with a TN vehicle entering Kerala or the other way around?
  3. Best time to drive to avoid such issues?
  4. Best route to take if you driving from Bangalore to Kerala "In my case - Cochin" ?
  5. If trying to cross Karnataka - Kerala border (Gundalpet - Sultan Bathery or Mysore - HD post - Mananthavady etc), which is best road to take considering the condition & distance?
  6. Recent updates on the Kanakpura- Sathyamangalam - coimbatore - Palakkad road.
  7. Recent experiences of your drive through the state borders
  8. There are also rumors that vehicles might be stopped in TN during the days towards Christmas as they know there will be lot of people traveling home
and so on ....
decode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 08:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

There have been hardly any instances of any private cars being targetted by protestors in either of the States.
But situation is unpredictable, the TN protestors like Vaiko are counting on the disruption they can cause during the busy X'mas week to showcase their point of view.
There is nothing like a good time to go through because as of now, in places like Kumili, the police on either side is enforcing a no-go order to prevent vehicle from going on the highway.
If the Coimbatore-Palakkad highway rasta roko threatened by Vaiko happens from Dec 21 onwards - in any case, no solution is in sight - then the only way to get to Kochi is via Mysore & Calicut. Ideally take only the Mysore-Gundulpet-Sultan's Battery-Kalpetta-Thamaraserry-Calicut road. However, bear in mind that the ghat road between Thamaraserry & Kalpetta is going to be closed for 3 months for major repairs starting from Jan 2.
Sathyamangalam road is in OK condition but you still have to go on NH47 from Coimbatore, so that is no solution.
Watch the newspapers and online forums for updates and start praying that the current border tension will ease up by this weekend, although I remain sceptical.
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 09:11   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Watch the newspapers and online forums for updates and start praying that the current border tension will ease up by this weekend, although I remain sceptical.
I need to drive down from Chennai to Trivandrum on December 23rd night, and back to Chennai on 30th/ 31st. I will be taking the nagercoil route for the same. My car is KL registered.

Will a day journey be preferable, considering the current political climate? I would like to avoid wasting a day for driving, if possible.
Old 16th December 2011, 10:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I need to drive down from Chennai to Trivandrum on December 23rd night, and back to Chennai on 30th/ 31st. I will be taking the nagercoil route for the same. My car is KL registered.

Will a day journey be preferable, considering the current political climate? I would like to avoid wasting a day for driving, if possible.
So far, no blockade has been reported from the Nagerocil-Trivandrum border highway. There have been no instances of KL cars being attacked or stopped in TN or vice versa.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 10:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There have been no instances of KL cars being attacked or stopped in TN or vice versa.
My college junior's KL regd car has a smashed windshield after being targetted by a mob in salem.

Dont want to post too much on this sensitive issue, I have some very good friends in TN. Problems are caused by politicians and local rowdies acting as if they care about the people wheras all they care about is their own vote banks.

Such instances hardly gets reported. I know of this only because i know the victim personally and so am assuming that there will be many more such cases.

To anybody travelling to TN/KER with a non-local regn :

1. Do not stop anywhere, especially road side tea shops. If you need to stop, go to a very good hotel with proper security staff.

2. Drive with your windows up.

3. No rash driving, as it is tensions are brimming.

4. Do not be provoked, avoid eye contact. Remember some people are looking for the slightest of excuses.

5. Travel in groups. Car pool.

Last edited by revintup : 16th December 2011 at 11:09.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 10:56   #6
BHPian

This is a topic that we are discussing off late as 3 of us are planning to take our car to kerala on 23rd. Out of these 3 cars, 2 are KL registered and mine is KA registered.

Last week i had been to Velankanni and saw many cars from Kerala. Seems there is no issue is Valayar check post as of now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
My college junior's car has a smashed windshield after being targetted by a mob in salem.
Oh. that's bad.

Was his car KL registered? And the mob attacked the car when he had stopped?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th December 2011 at 11:45.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My college junior's KL regd car has a smashed windshield after being targetted by a mob in salem.
A two wheeler in my cousin's college is damaged in Pollachi and the college management advised all students not to go out during nights and to isolated areas.

But what he confirmed was that the two wheeler was noted by locals for some time and they took advantage of Mullaperiyar issue to attack.

Me too planning to travel on 24th afternoon and will have to decide the route as per latest situation in the boarder.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Owing to the recent attacks in Tamil Nadu, my parents had to cancel a trip to Katpadi to attend a marriage. As of now, we're keenly observing the scenario as we've to travel to TN to inspect a pre-owned car and decide whether to bring it home or not.

So, I would like to know if the mobs would attack us if we (Keralites) travel in a TN registered car? Anyone?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post

Was his car KL registered?
Arun, you didn't carefully read revintup's post eh?

Yes, revintup's friend's car is Kerala registered.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
So, I would like to know if the mobs would attack us if we (Keralites) travel in a TN registered car? Anyone?
Then naturally in TN you wouldnt be 'detected'.

But what happens when you are in the 'safety' of your own state ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Arun, you didn't carefully read revintup's post eh?

Yes, revintup's friend's car is Kerala registered.
I edited and added the 'KL regn' bit after Arun's query only.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 15:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been to Gudaloor - Ooty three times in the last couple of weeks. Going via Sulthan Bathery>pattavayal>devarshola and back via Kallatti>Masanagudi>Bandipur>Gundelpet>Bathery

There is absolutely no issues/tensions, along these places. The locals and small shops are completely co-operative and helpful to any traveler, be it a Keralite, Tamilian or Kannadiga.

Just for fellow bhp'ns information, so that they might opt for these places/ travel through.

After note: In any case, the key to avoid any issues is to mind your own business, pass through mobs quickly but at the same time, sedately and SAFELY. Road rage is the last thing you will need to get into.

Last edited by dhanushs : 16th December 2011 at 15:49.
Old 16th December 2011, 16:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Hindu : States / Kerala : Tension continues at Kumily

Life returns to normal in Theni dut Tension simmers along border - Full News

Most of the bad news are from the Theni/Cumbum/Kumily region. Have not seen any issues on Nagerkovil or Sengottai areas.
Old 16th December 2011, 16:28   #12
BHPian

We are planning to travel from Kochi to Salem/Yercaud via Coimbatore on 23rd and return on 26th. My friend in Salem says,things are fine there. Let us hope things simmer down.
Old 16th December 2011, 18:57   #13
BHPian

I agree.. Let us hope the situation calm down than getting aggravated. Good tips from Revintup. It is correct that the "violence" is created by the some of the unproffesional-politicians , rowdies and the miscreants trying to take advantage.
Are there any good other roads to reach Kochi via Wayanad ? (avoiding the Thamarassery Ghat)
Old 16th December 2011, 19:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am watching news in Asianet saying that KSRTC stopped services between Palghat and Coimbatore today.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 09:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I am watching news in Asianet saying that KSRTC stopped services between Palghat and Coimbatore today.
That is the most adverse development on this most-important road corridor into Kerala. Palakkad-Coimbatore sector has a bus almost every 15 minutes as shuttle services on this 40-km route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks