Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2014, 15:53   #406
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Guys, Here is my updated plan. It's just going to be Ladakh.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-ladakh.jpg

I have vacation for 16 days, out of which 2 days are planned for post trip rest and 2 days for contingency.

Planning to start the trip from May 10. Will the roads planned in the itinerary be open then especially Sarchu to Manali. Should i postpone the trip by a week?

Need inputs for days 7 and 8. Are these doable in Scorpio 4wd?
Old 27th April 2014, 10:01   #407
Senior - BHPian

Hi TSK, great thread. Definitely an ultimate guide!

I remember HVK telling us about this 'Leh Berry' Seabuckthorn juice that he came across. Its supposedly called "Tsermang" locally there, and the defense authorities (DRDO) seem to find it very healthy. IIRC HVK said it was marketed by Godrej. Would you know if its available there?
Old 27th April 2014, 20:15   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hi TSK, great thread. Definitely an ultimate guide!

I remember HVK telling us about this 'Leh Berry' Seabuckthorn juice that he came across. Its supposedly called "Tsermang" locally there, and the defense authorities (DRDO) seem to find it very healthy. IIRC HVK said it was marketed by Godrej. Would you know if its available there?
I used to see these in Delhi very often in the stores. However, I don't recall seeing those anymore in the stores. Or, these are still there but I haven't paid attention!
Old 1st May 2014, 14:37   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Kaksang La might not be open in May but depends on the amount of snowfall. The locals had mentioned that the army does not clear this route as often as it is not a main route. But as Tanveer has mentioned this route is worth doing due to the two lakes and more so because you have a 4wd.
Spoke to ADC and his reflection was in-line with @Blackpearls statement above. Infact, he is confident that without Tsaga La permit, it will be futile to drive upto Chusul (only to drive back by the Erath route to Tangste)

So he is suggesting not attempting Chusul at all (from Merak) if I dont have the Tsaga La permit. Instead drive back to Chumathang for that night, then do Mahe (with a detour on the left towards Kakasang La to see the lakes) and then Hanle.

Want your thoughts on this Tanveer. I know you had already mentioned below, but ADC has been there on his Bicycle last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This route usually gets little snow and blockages are mostly due to landslides. Its under BRO so its cleared in a day or 2 usually. There may be a tarred road up there now since BRO work was in full swing in 2012.

Quote:
On the way back, do Kyun Tso on the way to Tso moriri.
you can come down to Nidar via Thit Zarbo la
According to ADC even the Kyun Tso-Nidar route from Hanle will be a futile attempt (but will still try)
Old 1st May 2014, 14:48   #410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Spoke to ADC and his reflection was in-line with @Blackpearls statement above. Infact, he is confident that without Tsaga La permit, it will be futile to drive upto Chusul (only to drive back by the Erath route to Tangste)

So he is suggesting not attempting Chusul at all (from Merak) if I dont have the Tsaga La permit. Instead drive back to Chumathang for that night, then do Mahe (with a detour on the left towards Kakasang La to see the lakes) and then Hanle.

Want your thoughts on this Tanveer. I know you had already mentioned below, but ADC has been there on his Bicycle last year.

According to ADC even the Kyun Tso-Nidar route from Hanle will be a futile attempt (but will still try)
Yes, you can take a detour towards Yaye Tso and then cross Hor La and go till Kakasang La to see Mirpal Tso.
As for Nidar route, I do not forsee much problem in a 4WD
Old 1st May 2014, 22:05   #411
BHPian

Is the practice of closure of Zoji La road on Mondays & Rohtang pass on Tuesdays still followed? Heard that last year, they were not closed on Mondays & Tuesdays respectively.

Ok, added 2 days and the tweaked itinerary now looks like below:

Period - 11th Jun eve till 29th Jun (Mumbai - Leh - Mumbai)
Car - XUV500 2WD

Day-0 (11th Jun) - Mumbai (6:00 pm) - Surat (pick up bro) - Ratangarh - Hanumangarh (20.00 pm on 12th June). If delayed then stop at Ratangarh)__Overnight journey

Day-2 (13th) - Hanumangarh (6.00 am)/ Ratangarh - Patnitop (19.00 pm)

Day-3 (14th) - Patnitop (6.00 am) - Srinagar - Kargil (19.00 pm)

Day-4 (15th) - Kargil (6.00 am) - Rangdum - Pensi La - sight Drang Drung & come back to Rangdum (19.00 pm)___ If Pensi La is not open, proceed to Leh, Zanskar is cancelled and 1 day (Day-5) added to buffer to be used in case for time overruns later.

Day-5 (16th) - Rangdum (6.00 am) - Leh (18.00 pm)

Day-6 (17th) - Leh local, Car check, Gompa tour etc

Day-7 (18th) - Leh (6.00 am) - KLa - Hunder - Tutuk (15/16 pm)__either night stay at Turtuk or come back to Diskit

Day-8 (19th) - Turtuk/ Diskit (4.00 am) - Try Agham-Shyok route, if not possible come back and proceed to Leh (15 pm). This is assuming Wari La won't be open. If Wari La is open, another option is to proceed to Pangong instead of going back to Leh

Day-9 (20th) - Leh (5 am) - Pangong (11 am)__ this will become a buffer day, if unthinkable happens i.e. If Agham-Shyok can be crossed

Day-10 (21st) - Pangong (8 am) - Maan/Merak - Chushul to Hanle (17.00 pm) (either thro' Kakasang La or thro' Tsaga La). If Kakasang La is possible, add 2 hours more i.e. Hanle @19/20.00 pm

Day-11 (22nd) - Hanle (9.00 am) - Tso Moriri (15.00 pm) (either thro' Kyun Tso-Nidar or thro' Loma-Nyoma)

Day-12 (23rd) - Tso MOrir (6.00 am) - Jispa (20.00 pm)

Day-13 (24th) - Jispa (6.00 am) - Mandi/ Ropar (18.00 pm)__ This is Tuesday and Rohtang closure is a rider.

Day-14 (25th) - Mandi/ Ropar (6.00 am) - Jaipur (20.00 pm)

Day-15 (26th) - Jaipur (6.00 am) - Mumbai (23.30 pm)

Day-16/17/18 (27th/28th/29th June) - buffer days to be used for time overruns in any of the circuit for any reasons

Riders are......

- 3 routes whether we can do or not in XUV 2WD - Agham-Shyok, Kakasang La, Kyun Tso

- Pensi La is open or not

- Chushul Permit which is usually denied

Experts inputs please
Old 3rd May 2014, 15:24   #412

Useful information published in the TOI of 03 May 2014 - Rohtang Pass has been OPENED for traffic.
Old 4th May 2014, 17:51   #413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSr View Post
Useful information published in the TOI of 03 May 2014 - Rohtang Pass has been OPENED for traffic.
Yes, Rohtang has opened now, and so has the Srinagar Leh higway
Old 8th May 2014, 14:42   #414
BHPian

Hi Guys,

After many years of speculation, Finally scheduled to Ladakh with couple of them during 1st week July from Delhi. Will share my detailed itinerary

Anyone doing around these dates from Delhi
June 30th - Return to Delhi on July 11th

Planning to take Delhi - Manali - JISPA - Tso Moriri and so on....
Old 8th May 2014, 15:18   #415
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
Is the practice of closure of Zoji La road on Mondays & Rohtang pass on Tuesdays still followed? Heard that last year, they were not closed on Mondays & Tuesdays respectively.
Situations and timing change. SO confirm in advance. Many people will do Leh drives in June, they can tell you.

Quote:
Day-9 (20th) - Leh (5 am) - Pangong (11 am)__ this will become a buffer day, if unthinkable happens i.e. If Agham-Shyok can be crossed
Wari La will be open in July

Quote:
- 3 routes whether we can do or not in XUV 2WD - Agham-Shyok, Kakasang La, Kyun Tso

- Pensi La is open or not

- Chushul Permit which is usually denied

Experts inputs please
Kyun Tso - Dicey
Agham Shyok - Severe risk of vehicle damage. Landslide zones can rip your tires. Water crossings are also there, and XUV500 air intake is at low headlight level
Kakasang La - Possible

But people who are in Leh tell me Chushul permits are being denied from Leh office this year also. You can try your luck
Old 9th May 2014, 14:25   #416
BHPian

Quote:

Wari La will be open in July
Thanks. Since I'll be there between 14th to 17th Jun, I thought Wari La won't be open in all probabilities.

Quote:
Kyun Tso - Dicey
Agham Shyok - Severe risk of vehicle damage. Landslide zones can rip your tires. Water crossings are also there, and XUV500 air intake is at low headlight level
Kakasang La - Possible
After repeatedly persisting with these 3 routes, now I think we won't try Agham-Shyok route. Kakasang La & Kyun Tso - to decide basis situations there (of course provided Chushul permit is obtained - of all things, this sounds like the biggest challenge as compared to conquering mountains).

But otherwise, how does the rest of the itineray sound? Is it too hectic ? (though we have 3-4 buffer days which we can sandwich wherever needed).
Old 9th May 2014, 14:28   #417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
Thanks. Since I'll be there between 14th to 17th Jun, I thought Wari La won't be open in all probabilities.
It may open. So do not discount it yet

After repeatedly persisting with these 3 routes, now I think we won't try Agham-Shyok route. Kakasang La & Kyun Tso - to decide basis situations there (of course provided Chushul permit is obtained - of all things, this sounds like the biggest challenge as compared to conquering mountains).

But otherwise, how does the rest of the itineray sound? Is it too hectic ? (though we have 3-4 buffer days which we can sandwich wherever needed).[/quote]
Always make a flexible plan. And as you go there decide what you want to do. Who knows you may want to spend 2 nights at pangong Tso.
Old 10th May 2014, 01:39   #418
BHPian

Hello people.
Finally managed to make up a rough plan for my upcoming ladakh trip.
Vehicle is XUV5OO 2WD. This is my first trip to ladakh and hence the plan is quite relaxed as i am not in any hurry. I have about 20 to 22 days to complete the journey.
The plan is very flexible and is open to all sorts of changes. So here it is
17-May: Mumbai-Ahmedabad-Himatnagar-Udaipur
18-May: Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Kishangarh-Kuchaman city-Sujangarh-sardarshahar-
Hanumangarh-Abohar
19-May: Abohar-Malout-Sri Muktasar Sahib-Kot Kapura-Faridkot-Tarn Taran-Amritsar
Stay in Amritsar and sight seeing.
20-May: Amritsar-Batla-Gurdaspur-Pathankot-Udhampur-Ramban-Anantnag-Srinagar.
Stay in srinagar
21-May: Srinagar- Kargil
22-May: Kargil- Leh
23-May: Stay in leh rest and local sight seeing
24-May: Stay in Leh, rest and local sight seeing.
25-May:Leh-Khardung La-Khalsar-Diskit (check in to a hotel)- Continue to turtuk and back
to Diskit
26-May: Diskit-Panamik- back to Leh
27-May: Leh rest and spare day for buffer
28-May: Leh-Karu-Sarkti-Chang La-Durbuk-Tangste-Lukung
29-May: Lukung-Karu-Upshi-Chumathang- if possible continue to Nyoma for the night, or
else stay in Chumathang
30-May: Visit Tso Moriri and Tso Kiagar. Night stay in Nyoma (spare)
31-May: Nyoma-Mahe-Sumdo-Polokong La-Tso Kar- Debring-Pang-Keylong
01-Jun: Keylong-Manali. rest and spare day
02-Jun: Manali-Chandigar-Ambala-karnal-Panipat-Rohtak-Rewari-Jaipur
03-Jun: Jaipur-Kishangarh-Chittorgarh-Himatnagar-Ahemdabad
04-Jun: Ahemdabad-Mumbai
All the experts are most welcome to comment on the schedule and suggest any changes or any oversights on my part. I have extensively used Tanvir's maps for distances and times. I have not added Zanskar valley to the trip this time, considering the time of the year and the vehicle at hand.
I would also be greatful to any experts on this matter if they can meet me in bombay before my trip so that i can have better guidance from them. HVK sir, it would be an honour if you agree to meet me anywhere in bombay.
Thanks & Regards,
Mandar.
Old 10th May 2014, 17:29   #419
BHPian

After years of planning and few aborted initiations, this year I am finally going to make it to Ladakh. Will start from Delhi on Morning of 28th August in my TW Grande Punto. Detailed route plan will come soon. Anyone planning on same date, we can form a convoy.
Old 10th May 2014, 23:09   #420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
29-May: Lukung-Karu-Upshi-Chumathang- if possible continue to Nyoma for the night, or
else stay in Chumathang
30-May: Visit Tso Moriri and Tso Kiagar. Night stay in Nyoma (spare)
Why Nyoma. From Chumathang, visit Tso Moriri do 4-5 hours sight seeing, and then head to Tso Kar where you stay the night.
Nyoma is out of way for you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks